[Q] if you can unlock bootloader on motorola.com, why aren't people doing it?

Search This thread

codymoto

Sep 30, 2013
Cause most carrier phones don't have their option to unlock the boot loader. But yes if you do unluck the boot loader you can root. But you can also root without unlocking thanks to jcase's pwnmymoto root method.

thepolishguy

Dec 3, 2009
Ivanhoe CA
How come people aren't talking about this? Would I be able to root if the bootloader is unlocked?

Most people aren't talking about it because I guess they figure you know whether or not you bought a phone that could be unlocked. If you are bootloader unlocked then yes - you just flash su.zip in cwm or twrp and you are good to go.

So if you are on Sprint or T-mobile, US Cellular or international go for it.

Droyyd

Jul 18, 2013
New York City
Unlocking the bootloader voids warranties as well...doing it through the website makes that void permanent whereas if you did it without the website you can still have your phone go through the warranty process as long as you unroot and relock the bootloader. that's what i love about the nexus devices

Radio2006

Jul 10, 2014
Sterling, VA
Ugh!!!

Glad I ran into this. I was going through the process to unlock my XT1080M on the site...looks like I'm waiting for the non-Chinese path.

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Unlocking the bootloader voids warranties as well...doing it through the website makes that void permanent whereas if you did it without the website you can still have your phone go through the warranty process as long as you unroot and relock the bootloader. that's what i love about the nexus devices

While this may be true for Nexus devices, it doesn't apply to the Moto X.

The Moto X bootloader has 3 states:

Locked, Unlocked, and Re-Locked

Once you have unlocked, if you subsequently re-lock, the status changes to "Re-Locked". You can NEVER get it back to "Locked". So regardless of whether you get your code from the official Moto Unlock site or the Middleman, they still know that you had unlocked previously. There is no way around this...

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Hence the reason I am waiting.

?

Waiting for what?

Sent from my XT1060

Exactly! I'm not sure what he is waiting for. An BL unlock exploit to come along? Dan Rosenburg (author of the Razr M Bootloader exploit) has said himself that it is extremely unlikely that a new Moto BL unlock exploit will EVER come along.
@Radio2006 : The "china" method could end tomorrow. It is 99.999% sure to be the ONLY way you will ever get unlocked. If being unlocked is important you, I would urge you not to wait.

D

Darth

Its China method quick, before it ends again....maybe for good....

Or it won't happen. The bootloader won't be "cracked". If it could be, it would be by now. ;)

I'd get in on the China method, or accept a life of no proper root for your device. And no developer made updates after the X stops getting official updates.

Radio2006

Jul 10, 2014
Sterling, VA
?

Exactly! I'm not sure what he is waiting for. An BL unlock exploit to come along? Dan Rosenburg (author of the Razr M Bootloader exploit) has said himself that it is extremely unlikely that a new Moto BL unlock exploit will EVER come along.

@Radio2006 : The "china" method could end tomorrow. It is 99.999% sure to be the ONLY way you will ever get unlocked. If being unlocked is important you, I would urge you not to wait.

Hey, gee thanks guys. I didn't know that. The China method has already shut down according to an XDA post that I read earlier. So I was hoping that something would occur later.

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Hey, gee thanks guys. I didn't know that. The China method has already shut down according to an XDA post that I read earlier. So I was hoping that something would occur later.

It closed earlier this year, then reopened a couple months later. It is still available now. Find the thread titled "China Middleman Back?" Thread.

Good luck!

Top Liked Posts