[Q] Bluetooth Reverse Tethering to Windows 7 PC?

Search This thread

GnatGoSplat

Apr 29, 2007
How can I reverse tether my Android phones to my PC via Bluetooth? Is this even possible?

PC is running Windows 7 x64. Phone is an HTC HD2 running JellyBean AOSP from NAND. I know Wifi would be easiest, but this is a work PC and company policy is we are not allowed to run our own Wifi networks.

I managed to connect the HD2 to the PC via Bluetooth with a PAN network, it only worked when I turned on Internet Tethering on the phone. However, this makes the HD2 into the server and PC into the client so PC can use phone's internet connection. I need the reverse! I need HD2 to be the client, PC to be the server. I found a Bluetooth PAN client from the Play store, but it can't connect via PAN to the PC. I assume because the MS BT stack only has a PAN client and not server. Is there such a thing as a PAN server for PC? I've looked at Widcomm and Bluesoleil BT stacks, but neither specifically mentions having a PAN server.

I found this tutorial that sounds promising, using DUN instead of PAN:
http://bluedunapp.blogspot.com/2012/05/bluetooth-tethering-for-android-devices.html
It's for reverse tethering an Android device to another Android device. Looks like BlueVPN on the Android side will do what I want, be a DUN client. However, similar problem to PAN, I can't find a DUN server. It's apparently not built into the MS BT stack either.

Is it even possible to reverse tether an Android phone to PC over Bluetooth?

Only other idea I can think of is to use an intermediate device as a bridge. USB reverse tether a phone to PC, and use phone's bluetooth tethering abilities to tether my bluetooth phone to it. Really round-about way to go about it though.

thesoham

Feb 22, 2012
surat
not exactl but it works

hi i cant find out a way to connect through bluetooth but i found some apps which can connect your mobile to internet through usb connection
but it requires root access

1.ReverseTether.Trial in google play

2.just search for "reverse tethering galaxy y in google" and select first link from "galaxyyarchive,info" worked for me but dont know about other phones
sorry i cant post links right now
bye

Dec 6, 2012
How can I reverse tether my Android phones to my PC via Bluetooth? Is this even possible?

PC is running Windows 7 x64. Phone is an HTC HD2 running JellyBean AOSP from NAND. I know Wifi would be easiest, but this is a work PC and company policy is we are not allowed to run our own Wifi networks.

I managed to connect the HD2 to the PC via Bluetooth with a PAN network, it only worked when I turned on Internet Tethering on the phone. However, this makes the HD2 into the server and PC into the client so PC can use phone's internet connection. I need the reverse! I need HD2 to be the client, PC to be the server. I found a Bluetooth PAN client from the Play store, but it can't connect via PAN to the PC. I assume because the MS BT stack only has a PAN client and not server. Is there such a thing as a PAN server for PC? I've looked at Widcomm and Bluesoleil BT stacks, but neither specifically mentions having a PAN server.

I found this tutorial that sounds promising, using DUN instead of PAN:
http://bluedunapp.blogspot.com/2012/05/bluetooth-tethering-for-android-devices.html
It's for reverse tethering an Android device to another Android device. Looks like BlueVPN on the Android side will do what I want, be a DUN client. However, similar problem to PAN, I can't find a DUN server. It's apparently not built into the MS BT stack either.

Is it even possible to reverse tether an Android phone to PC over Bluetooth?

Only other idea I can think of is to use an intermediate device as a bridge. USB reverse tether a phone to PC, and use phone's Bluetooth tethering abilities to tether my Bluetooth phone to it. Really round-about way to go about it though.

So far there isn't any app that does a reverse tether through Bluetooth. Only Wi-Fi @ usb tether are currently possible.

Only other idea I can think of is to use an intermediate device as a bridge. USB reverse tether a phone to PC, and use phone's Bluetooth tethering abilities to tether my Bluetooth phone to it. Really round-about way to go about it though.
Brilliant idea mate for the time being :good: :highfive:

GnatGoSplat

Apr 29, 2007
Brilliant idea mate for the time being :good: :highfive:

Unfortunately, I couldn't get this to work. I tried using "Bluetooth PAN for Root Users" on the client phone and it wasn't able to see the Bluetooth connection on the phone which has a Bluetooth tethering checkbox. However, my PC with bluetooth dongle was able to make a PAN connection to that phone, so I guess it's something with the "Bluetooth PAN for Root Users" which isn't compatible.

alicarbovader

Feb 16, 2013
In Emperor's Chamber in Death Star 1
There's a way to do that using USB Tunneling. An xda member has done this, and I'm using my PC's Internet connection on my HTC Desire with a USB cable. The download below will possibly work for any phone... I'm not taking any credits for this tool and app. This belongs to someone, and I downloaded it, but can't remember who made this. Anyone who knows, please correct me...

Attachments

• ReverseTethering_3.02.zip
    3.5 MB · Views: 4,048

sunil_cr

Jul 3, 2013
Unfortunately, I couldn't get this to work. I tried using "Bluetooth PAN for Root Users" on the client phone and it wasn't able to see the Bluetooth connection on the phone which has a Bluetooth tethering checkbox. However, my PC with bluetooth dongle was able to make a PAN connection to that phone, so I guess it's something with the "Bluetooth PAN for Root Users" which isn't compatible.

Does the android phone BT stack even support the PAN client role? I guess it may not be there. Could you clarify??

ykasidit

Feb 13, 2013
I used to setup Windows on a Broadcom/Widcom bluetooth stack/driver to do this Bluetooth Reverse Tethering for Android - no rooting or apps required. Phone needs to support Bluetooth network access feature - no rooting or apps required as this is a standard/implemented protocol - Samsung S3, Sony Xperia V, Nexus 5, Nexus 4 support it, etc. To check, a phone that supports "bluetooth tethering" would likely support the "bluetooth internet access" (which is "bluetooth reverse tethering") feature. So, as an easy check - on your Android, go to Settings > More… > Tethering & portable hotspot - Now look for a “Bluetooth Tethering” item - if it is available, there’s a good chance that your device is compatible - but if you can’t find it, your device is likely NOT compatible.

As a roughly remember - the steps are like:
1. You need to enable the "Network Access Point" profile in the configuration and you'll get a new "network device"
2. Then in the control panel, go to the connection list, then ctrl-click the new bt-network-device and your LAN ethernet network device - right click and choose "bridge" to bridge it with your LAN.
3. Try pair android phone (which has the bluetooth "internet access" feature) with pc then if all is well, you'll see the bluetooth settings button for your computer - "If this inner settings page has the “Internet Access” item and checkbox shown".

If you tried on the Broadcom stack and still need help - I might try make a blog post with detailed screenshots someday if i can get some free time...

GnatGoSplat

Apr 29, 2007
Okay, now I have a new PC running Windows 8.1 which has built-in Broadcom bluetooth, and a different phone, Motorola Droid Mini XT1030. I've installed the most recent WIDCOMM stack.

I'm able to connect a new Bluetooth PAN network device, but there is no "bridge" option. There are for other devices like the PC's built-in Wifi, but not for the bluetooth.
Am I missing something?

I've also tried using USB Reverse Tethering using an old phone as a bridge, but that doesn't work either.
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53822503&postcount=1992

mitja.kukovec

Jul 7, 2010
I used to setup Windows on a Broadcom/Widcom bluetooth stack/driver to do this Bluetooth Reverse Tethering for Android - no rooting or apps required. Phone needs to support Bluetooth network access feature - no rooting or apps required as this is a standard/implemented protocol - Samsung S3, Sony Xperia V, Nexus 5, Nexus 4 support it, etc. To check, a phone that supports "bluetooth tethering" would likely support the "bluetooth internet access" (which is "bluetooth reverse tethering") feature. So, as an easy check - on your Android, go to Settings > More… > Tethering & portable hotspot - Now look for a “Bluetooth Tethering” item - if it is available, there’s a good chance that your device is compatible - but if you can’t find it, your device is likely NOT compatible.

As a roughly remember - the steps are like:
1. You need to enable the "Network Access Point" profile in the configuration and you'll get a new "network device"
2. Then in the control panel, go to the connection list, then ctrl-click the new bt-network-device and your LAN ethernet network device - right click and choose "bridge" to bridge it with your LAN.
3. Try pair android phone (which has the bluetooth "internet access" feature) with pc then if all is well, you'll see the bluetooth settings button for your computer - "If this inner settings page has the “Internet Access” item and checkbox shown".

If you tried on the Broadcom stack and still need help - I might try make a blog post with detailed screenshots someday if i can get some free time...

Hi ykasidit,
could you please provide more detail explanation on how to enable the "Network Access Point" profile in the configuration to get this new "network device"?