Fully enable DTS 3D stereo (root needed)

Search This thread

bulletfodder

Mar 7, 2010
On 20f, have libeagle.so, did the build.prop changes.

Can't see the option under 'sound' settings.

Am I missing something obvious?

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
On 20f, have libeagle.so, did the build.prop changes.

Can't see the option under 'sound' settings.

Am I missing something obvious?
You don't see this after rebooting? New Sound Quality and Effects category? See attached screenshot.

Make sure you copy and paste exact words correctly in Build Prop. Make sure you reboot.

Screenshot_2019-01-06-09-34-51.jpeg

Sent via open market LG US998 V30/V30+

Last edited:

JohnFawkes

Jul 9, 2015
john-fawkes.com
Why don't you use blobs from the rom that ships with dts outofthebox?

Because there's kernel stuff too and the carrier firmwares don't have the needed kernel stuff yet

---------- Post added at 03:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 AM ----------

Which blobs, what ROM?

Are you talking about @JohnFawkes Nubia device reference or his US998 20F TWRP flashable zip based on stock firmware KDZ?

Hes saying take the blobs (libs) from 20f and put them into the other firmwares. This would work if the carrier firmwares actually had the dts changes in the ramdisk but they do not. This is all crazy anyway and LG and the carriers need to have better communication because the build date in 20f and ls998 26a are literally like 5 days apart

Reactions: ChazzMatt
Because there's kernel stuff too and the carrier firmwares don't have the needed kernel stuff yet

---------- Post added at 03:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 AM ----------

Hes saying take the blobs (libs) from 20f and put them into the other firmwares. This would work if the carrier firmwares actually had the dts changes in the ramdisk but they do not. This is all crazy anyway and LG and the carriers need to have better communication because the build date in 20f and ls998 26a are literally like 5 days apart
Oh it's just ramdisk edits? Not actual commits in the zimage?

LazerL0rd

Nov 2, 2016
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
www.thezest.dev
Yes it needs us998 20f for now. Me, @UltraM8@michi_Nemuritor @LazerL0rd and a few others are working on a universal dts x ultra port from nubia device. No kernel commits needed and no nubia audioflinger needed either. So if lg doesn't give us dts then we have an alternative

*Might* need a kernel commit. But it's pretty universal this time. Literally just a driver folder.

JohnFawkes

Jul 9, 2015
john-fawkes.com
So for anyone interested I will be releasing a new rom later today. It's a hybrid between Us99820f and ls99826a. It will be for sprint users only. If this is stable I will make one for the other carriers as well. This will allow us to use dts before the carriers release if they ever do. This is the smoothness of the us firmware with all the sprint lte bands, wifi calling, lte calling, sprint visual voicemail and all sprint apps. At the moment I'm using a Magisk module to achieve this but I'll be using superR to turn it into a full blown custom stock rom!

3597dxta

Nov 4, 2012
Da Nang
EDIT: @JohnFawkes says he can only confirm the necessary libs are in the US998 20F and newer. So, until LG puts the libs in other variant firmware, then this will only work with the variants that have the libs. Right now, that's only confirmed for US998, although the V30 DTS announcement was on LG's Korea website. I will update this op as more information becomes available..

Fully enable DTS 3D stereo (root needed)

On recent V30 update with November 2018 and newer security patch, LG added DTS 3D stereo (mentioned in change log) but they seem to have messed it up. DTS does not appear as a separate entry and you can not turn it on/off. HOWEVER, with root, now you can. (ALL V30/V30+/V30S can be bootloader unlocked and rooted.) Credits go to the people quoted below. This mod may work with other LG series phones if LG also messed up the recent DTS 3D stereo implementation? Hopefully, LG will fix this in future update.

1st, you need US998 V30 firmware with at least November 2018 security patch. That's when LG added the feature.

2nd, you need root.

3rd, you need Build Prop editor. < I suggest that one.

_____
1) Open Build Prop Editor, go into edit mode, scroll down to very bottom where there are empty lines and paste this entry:
ro.lge.globaleffect.dts=true
2) Hit Save.
3) Reboot the phone.
4) Done.

When you go into Settings/Sound, you should now see a new category. Instead of "Hi-Fi Quad DAC", you will instead now see "Sound Quality and Effects". When you go into THAT, you will see new DTS and the already-existing Hi-Fi Quad DAC settings. See attached screenshots below and the conversation that led to this discovery...

The person who first pointed out the problem later posted the solution. ;)

EDIT: @TotallyAnxious has now added this capability to her excellent ANXIOUS V30 Magisk mod, starting with v167. Thank you! However, that mod is only guaranteed compatible with North America variants, even though it may work with others. These do-it-yourself instructions can be done by anyone with rooted V30/V30+/V30S with appropriate stock firmware. EDIT: RIGHT NOW ONLY CONFIRMED WITH US998

Again, hopefully LG will fix this in future update so it's also available on unrooted stock firmware.

(DTS 3D stereo reported in change log for most recent firmware.)

SOLUTION:

Adding to the list of features this phone has...

LG V30/V30+
  • 1440P OLED (537 ppi)
  • Qi wireless charging
  • 3.5mm headset jack
  • Quad DAC
  • DTS 3D stereo
  • IP68 dust/water resistance
  • rear camera OIS on normal lens - plus 120 degree wide angle lens
  • superfast fingerprint sensor
  • 64GB (V30) or 128GB (V30+) internal storage
  • microSD port for additional storage
  • bootloader unlock and root
  • no notch

You did an excellent job. Thank you a lot :fingers-crossed:

Reactions: newbe1droidx

FcBayernMinga

Feb 3, 2014
LA
Activated this on my H930 with 21o but can't hear a difference on speaker...

Do I need to use Headphones and also enable QuadDAC?

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Activated this on my H930 with 21o but can't hear a difference on speaker...

Do I need to use Headphones and also enable QuadDAC?

Yeah you do need headphones and quad DAC helps -- but please read the actual instructions. See point #1... US998 firmware is first prerequisite.

Until either LG updates other variants, or @JohnFawkes performs his hybrid ROM magic.

Screenshot_2019-01-20-05-16-39.jpeg

Last edited:

FcBayernMinga

Feb 3, 2014
LA
Sorry Mate :) Was so hyped and understood the "and newer firmwares" that it would be included in 21o... Have a nice day and I'm looking forward for future updates here...
Anyway: Is it working with speakers or only via headphones?

Reactions: ChazzMatt

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    4th EDIT: Now confirmed to work on H932 20R and newer.
    _____

3rd EDIT: Now available with H930 Open EU 21W and newer.

Korean variants also have it.
    ____

2nd EDIT: NOW LG has put this the DTS framework in Hong Kong H930DS 21w (and newer) as well as Verizon VS996 20i (and newer). But you still need root to fully enable it.

____
    1st EDIT: @JohnFawkes says he can only confirm the necessary libs are in some newer KDZ. So, until LG puts the libs in other variant firmware, then this will only work with the variants that have the libs.
    V30 DTS announcement on LG's Korea website. I will update this op as more information becomes available..

_____

1) Fully enable DTS 3D stereo (root needed)

On recent V30 update with November 2018 and newer security patch, LG added DTS 3D stereo (mentioned in change log) but they seem to have messed it up. DTS does not appear as a separate entry and you can not turn it on/off. HOWEVER, with root, now you can. (ALL V30/V30+/V30S can be bootloader unlocked and rooted.) Credits go to the people quoted below. This mod may work with other LG series phones if LG also messed up the recent DTS 3D stereo implementation? Hopefully, LG will fix this in future update.

1st, you need V30 firmware with necessary DTS framework. (LG is now adding the feature to other variants, see note at top of post.)

2nd, you need root.

3rd, you need Build Prop editor. < I suggest that one.

_____
    1) Open Build Prop Editor, go into edit mode, scroll down to very bottom where there are empty lines and paste this entry:
    ro.lge.globaleffect.dts=true (enables DTS libs)
    ro.lge.globaleffect.ceq=1 (adds "custom" entry to to the equalizer you will install below)
    2) Hit Save.
    3) Reboot the phone.
    4) Done.

When you go into Settings/Sound, you should now see a new category. Instead of "Hi-Fi Quad DAC", you will instead now see "Sound Quality and Effects". When you go into THAT, you will see new DTS and the already-existing Hi-Fi Quad DAC settings. See attached screenshots below and the conversation that led to this discovery...

The person who first pointed out the problem later posted the solution. ;)

EDIT: @TotallyAnxious has now added this capability to her excellent ANXIOUS V30 Magisk mod, starting with v167. Thank you! However, that mod is only guaranteed compatible with North America variants, even though it may work with others. These do-it-yourself instructions can be done by anyone with rooted V30/V30+/V30S with appropriate stock firmware. EDIT: RIGHT NOW IN MID-2019 ALL RECENT OREO CONFIRMED EXCEPT FOR H933

Again, hopefully LG will fix this in future update so it's also available on unrooted stock firmware.

2) BONUS APP: LG DTS 3D Stereo Equalizer:

https://xdaforums.com/lg-v30/how-to/how-to-add-lgs-equalizer-to-hifi-quad-t3905870

Install. Reboot.

(DTS 3D stereo reported in change log for most recent firmware.)
    What dts, i couldnt find it on 20f.

Check audio_effects.conf and play music and type su -c dumpsys media.audio_flinger in terminal and you'll see libeagle.so. Libeagle.so is dts. There's no app or anything

SOLUTION:
    Add ro.lge.globaleffect.dts=true in BUILD PROP

Thanks!

It creates a new category instead of just QUAD DAC, which now includes DTS with Quad DAC.
    @TotallyAnxious, something else to add to your mod...

View attachment 4681258View attachment 4681259View attachment 4681260

It worked on the vs996 20g zip too I'm on Verizon so the vs996 zip works the best for me.

Adding to the list of features this phone has...

LG V30/V30+
    • 1440P OLED (537 ppi)
    • Qi wireless charging
    • 3.5mm headset jack
    • Quad DAC
    • DTS 3D stereo
    • IP68 dust/water resistance
    • rear camera OIS on normal lens - plus 120 degree wide angle lens
    • superfast fingerprint sensor
    • 64GB (V30) or 128GB (V30+) internal storage
    • microSD port for additional storage
    • bootloader unlock and root
    • no notch
    We made XDA News, again:

https://www.xda-developers.com/enable-dts-3d-stereo-sound-all-lg-v30-variants/

Read the comments. Feel free to post your own experience. One ignorant* person says this DTS 3D Stereo on US998 isn't real. Ha. He obviously doesn't own US998, so what does he know?

(* Ignorant, as in uneducated. Not ignorant as in stupid.)
    This DTS 3D STEREO enabler is for North America US998 ONLY, for now.

As I said before you will have to wait until future updates for other variants, to get the necessary libs. The interface alone does not give you the actual functionality.

How many more times do I have to repeat that?

Did you not even read the post that you quoted? I'm repeating myself. ;)

Whenever future updates arrive, @JohnFawkes can confirm if the libs are there. He wants it as much as you do. If there was any way to port it right now to other variants, he would do so.

Yes it needs us998 20f for now. Me, @UltraM8 @michi_Nemuritor @LazerL0rd and a few others are working on a universal dts x ultra port from nubia device. No kernel commits needed and no nubia audioflinger needed either. So if lg doesn't give us dts then we have an alternative
    To the instructions, I added another build prop line:

ro.lge.globaleffect.ceq=1

This adds "custom" entry to to the DTS equalizer when you install it. It is not needed to enable DTS itself (that's another build prop line), but adds option to the DTS equalizer, which you should install. As long as you are editing the build prop, might as well do both the same time!

NOTE: I have this "custom" field in my equalizer and do NOT have this build prop line. But I also have the very latest Anxious V30 Magisk module installed. She has a lot of stuff ported from LG G7 and V40, and her notes specifically say: "LG Equalizer Settings (w/ Custom EQ)" .

Anyway, falls under the "doesn't hurt/may help" category.

Screenshot courtesy @BROKEN1981. I am using his screenshot because he added that line.
    It's in my module. Build props in magisk mods don't actually edit the build.prop it just makes the system think they are on the build.prop.
    So for anyone interested I will be releasing a new rom later today. It's a hybrid between Us99820f and ls99826a. It will be for sprint users only. If this is stable I will make one for the other carriers as well. This will allow us to use dts before the carriers release if they ever do. This is the smoothness of the us firmware with all the sprint lte bands, wifi calling, lte calling, sprint visual voicemail and all sprint apps. At the moment I'm using a Magisk module to achieve this but I'll be using superR to turn it into a full blown custom stock rom!