DBA "Just Like Glass®" Screen Protector - ZAGG Killer?

Search This thread

SSHGuru

May 12, 2011
I would tell you but I've this annoying bug on my screen that I cant get off. It's making me nuts!

We have Nexus 7 Protectors as well by the way.

kuratsu

Aug 18, 2012
Will you be releasing full frontal protection anytime in the near future? For the screen protector of course.

SSHGuru

May 12, 2011
Will you be releasing full frontal protection anytime in the near future? For the screen protector of course.

When we made it we started with "full frontal" and then cut until it didn't peel at all. The curve of the glass on the S3 is pretty severe compared to other phones so trying to cover it all won't work. Maybe with super-glue.

I can have them made "full frontal" with a no refund policy if you want.

kuratsu

Aug 18, 2012
I'm just looking for the best screen protection to complement the otterbox defender I'm using. I'd like to pop its plastic screen out since it's in all honesty an awful screen protector.

molitar

Mar 10, 2009
I'm just looking for the best screen protection to complement the otterbox defender I'm using. I'd like to pop its plastic screen out since it's in all honesty an awful screen protector.

Well it should do it just fine as it only covers the screen area so will not get in the way of anything else.

Scblacksunshine

Jun 12, 2010
Just bought this and have to say I am somewhat disappointed. Protector only cover the display area and I understand some of the other protectors out there are the same way but this one is even smaller, only the rectangle area of the display. It leaves all other section of the glass exposed. From the way I dropped my phone and broke the screen last time (near the center butter) this protector will not to much good in preventing that type of damage. Also, it's been couple of days now and still seeing some rainbow effect. Otherwise, it does feel smooth but not as good as what I was looking for. Will try the iFeel glass protector and see.

SSHGuru

May 12, 2011
Dammit! Really? Just ordered this on amazon because I'm looking for a protector that feels like I have nothing on and this seemed extremely promising. The other two main glass screen protectors on the market, Xgear and Spigen, seems to be having issues with theirs so went with this one but... We'll see once it comes. I'll try to post some pictures and and a review.

It does feel smoother than glass. I don't know why he said it wasn't good enough.

The fit is as he described - it covers the display so there is no peel.

Let me know your impressions when you get it.

Scott

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

Just bought this and have to say I am somewhat disappointed. Protector only cover the display area and I understand some of the other protectors out there are the same way but this one is even smaller, only the rectangle area of the display. It leaves all other section of the glass exposed. From the way I dropped my phone and broke the screen last time (near the center butter) this protector will not to much good in preventing that type of damage. Also, it's been couple of days now and still seeing some rainbow effect. Otherwise, it does feel smooth but not as good as what I was looking for. Will try the iFeel glass protector and see.

It only covers the display because otherwise it will peel. We did testing on it extensively and re-cut it until it stayed on perfectly.

Do you see the rainbow with the screen on or off?

You are looking for smoother? This is 20% smoother than glass.

Is it the size that mainly bothers you?

Scott

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
This protector does look interesting, but they haven't researched properly, most phones all have a whole front made of glass, so it's rather disappointed that this only covers just the screen and leaves out the other part.

May be they will rethink and bring out a second version with almost full coverage.

SSHGuru

May 12, 2011
This protector does look interesting, but they haven't researched properly, most phones all have a whole front made of glass, so it's rather disappointed that this only covers just the screen and leaves out the other part.

May be they will rethink and bring out a second version with almost full coverage.

We fit every phone individually. We use a 3D laser scanner to get the exact size and then we start with covering the entire glass and work in until it sits perfectly.

Samsung devices have curved glass which means any kind of protector will peel at the edges. The S3 actually is curved the most out of every Samsung we have done. We've sold quite a few for the S3 and people have been very happy with them. The Galaxy Nexus has a curved screen also but not as severe. We can cover 90% of it. It's a screen by screen determination.

Trust me if we could fit it on more of the screen we would in a second.

On our non Samsung devices we cover the entire screen.

Also you won't find any other protectors that can do this - https://www.facebook.com/DbaCases/videos

Sincerely,

Scott Weiner
CEO
DBA Cases.

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
We fit every phone individually. We use a 3D laser scanner to get the exact size and then we start with covering the entire glass and work in until it sits perfectly.

Samsung devices have curved glass which means any kind of protector will peel at the edges. The S3 actually is curved the most out of every Samsung we have done. We've sold quite a few for the S3 and people have been very happy with them. The Galaxy Nexus has a curved screen also but not as severe. We can cover 90% of it. It's a screen by screen determination.

Trust me if we could fit it on more of the screen we would in a second.

On our non Samsung devices we cover the entire screen.

Also you won't find any other protectors that can do this - https://www.facebook.com/DbaCases/videos

Sincerely,

Scott Weiner
CEO
DBA Cases.

I won't comment on what the protector can do, thats what I like about it, but i'm sure you can extend the coverage upto the the ear piece and the button areas, i'm sure this is possible without any lifting, when compared to most edge to edge coverage type.

SSHGuru

May 12, 2011
I won't comment on what the protector can do, thats what I like about it, but i'm sure you can extend the coverage upto the the ear piece and the button areas, i'm sure this is possible without any lifting, when compared to most edge to edge coverage type.

I will send an email off to our team that cuts them and see if we can do a larger cut and let you know.

Scott

Reactions: kms108

Scblacksunshine

Jun 12, 2010
It does feel smoother than glass. I don't know why he said it wasn't good enough.

The fit is as he described - it covers the display so there is no peel.

Let me know your impressions when you get it.

Scott

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

It only covers the display because otherwise it will peel. We did testing on it extensively and re-cut it until it stayed on perfectly.

Do you see the rainbow with the screen on or off?

You are looking for smoother? This is 20% smoother than glass.

Is it the size that mainly bothers you?

Scott

The smoothness is fine and that's not the reason why I am not happy with this. For one, it has rainbow effect when the screen is off and the second thing that bothered me is the size. Yes, I didn't expect this to cover edge to edge, however, the fact that it only covered actual screen only left me a little disappointed. I know the curve glass is the problem but other protector I had before at least cover majority of the front, extend down to where the middle button reside and on the top at least cover up to the earpiece section. If this protector is as protective as you claimed, then having that extra coverage could mean the difference in a drop. Perhaps maybe cover up to 90-95% of the front will be better than to just cover the screen itself. As far as the smoothness, I say it's pretty good but 20% smoother than glass? I don't know about that, I am touching the bare glass part right now in comparsion to the protector and I have to say the glass portion is still smoother. That's my opinion and I am sure you probably have some scientific result showing otherwise. How about posting some of the actual test result (lab report) for us all to see?

molitar

Mar 10, 2009
Ok I have to admit there is a rainbow hue when it's off but I don't care it's off.. What I care about is there a hue when the phone is on? NO it does not have one so I did not care about this as my original screenshots show.

Second to complain about it just covering the glass portion when I distinctly said in my review it is only about a mm larger than the screen really makes no sense if the review was read you would of expected that as well as the close ups you can distinctly see where the edges of the protector is I did close ups just for that purpose.

Nobody should of if they read my review been upset about the screen just being covered with barely any overlap as my pictures were very closeup and my description explained this also. The protector is very smooth and does just covers the screen area as stated specifically so if you were not going to be happy with just that much coverage than should not have purchased it I gave a good detail review with pictures to help people not make a mistake in there decision to purchase.

I expect the hue is probably and effect like a prism from the chemical when the screen is dark behind it the light reflected back is probably split a little bit causing the prism hue. What I worry about when I put a screen protector on is smoothness, strength, and bubbles that maybe left behind. If no distortion when screen is on than I do not care.. and I have not noticed any distortion with colors or the picture with the screen on.

Reactions: SSHGuru

SSHGuru

May 12, 2011
Ok I have to admit there is a rainbow hue when it's off but I don't care it's off.. What I care about is there a hue when the phone is on? NO it does not have one so I did not care about this as my original screenshots show.

Second to complain about it just covering the glass portion when I distinctly said in my review it is only about a mm larger than the screen really makes no sense if the review was read you would of expected that as well as the close ups you can distinctly see where the edges of the protector is I did close ups just for that purpose.

Nobody should of if they read my review been upset about the screen just being covered with barely any overlap as my pictures were very closeup and my description explained this also. The protector is very smooth and does just covers the screen area as stated specifically so if you were not going to be happy with just that much coverage than should not have purchased it I gave a good detail review with pictures to help people not make a mistake in there decision to purchase.

I expect the hue is probably and effect like a prism from the chemical when the screen is dark behind it the light reflected back is probably split a little bit causing the prism hue. What I worry about when I put a screen protector on is smoothness, strength, and bubbles that maybe left behind. If no distortion when screen is on than I do not care.. and I have not noticed any distortion with colors or the picture with the screen on.

Thanks for the response.

Mine has the rainbow when it's off also - who cares. Call it a feature.

We have third party tested it and it's 20% smoother than glass. However I am not the manufacturer and I do not have permission to post it. I can assure you I've seen the results.

I like to get customers what they want so I've already asked them if they can extend the size. I should hear back shortly but they will probably want me to test it. I already had them modify the Galaxy Nexus one so they will try whatever I need.

I may just get a few and send them to you guys to test and give me your impressions.

molitar

Mar 10, 2009
Thanks for the response.

Mine has the rainbow when it's off also - who cares. Call it a feature.

We have third party tested it and it's 20% smoother than glass. However I am not the manufacturer and I do not have permission to post it. I can assure you I've seen the results.

I like to get customers what they want so I've already asked them if they can extend the size. I should hear back shortly but they will probably want me to test it. I already had them modify the Galaxy Nexus one so they will try whatever I need.

I may just get a few and send them to you guys to test and give me your impressions.

That sounds great. Be cool if someone had an old cell phone they don't mind trashing so they can demonstrate to themselves how strong this protector is. If I had one I would do that test so it would be a completely unbiased unrelated to manufacturer of the product test for those that are concerned about it like ScBlacksunshine.

Last edited:

SSHGuru

May 12, 2011
That sounds great. Be cool if someone had an old cell phone they don't mind trashing so they can demonstrate to themselves how strong this protector is. If I had one I would do that test so it would be a completely unbiased unrelated to manufacturer of the product test for those that are concerned about it like ScBlacksunshine.

The video is almost done demonstrating this - it will have the sound on the next version... And we used an iPhone 3 :D

https://www.facebook.com/DbaCases/videos?ref=ts

We have a free screen protector sweepstakes on that facebook page as well.

Also we have all of our stock now in - The Slim Grip, the Ultra, TPU and PC.

www.dbacases.com

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just Like Glass Screen Protectors

Hey all,

I'm not really new but I tend to post on other forums. I come here for the good stuff on rooting.

I'm the CEO of DBA Cases, Inc.

I did start the company, however I had several investors. After having an Original Droid, a Bionic, and a Galaxy Nexus I had a very good idea of what people liked.

Personally I hated screen protectors and was not going to sell one until we came up with this. I have it on my phone and love it. It protects against breaks as well - my photographer asked me why I went into making cases so I took the phone out of the case and it squirted out of my hand - hit the wall and then our tile floor. No damage at all to the phone but a very small micro scratch on the Just Like Glass Protector. It probably would have shattered. I've found that the most you can do is give it micro scratches - you can't feel them or see them with the screen on. That's what I got from the fall and it doesn't bother me at all.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Scott
    has no one taken any photos of this on their phone yet?

Im having a bit of hard time with the 7 people who got the early demo cuts begging to get them, and then not saying much, or posting any photos up here for others to see.

These photos will help Scott out with sales, and i would have thought that recieving an early product would kind of get you to do something to help this amazing new product along.

i cant wait to get mine in, and i will be sure to post up MANY photos of the protector, as well as the various cases i ordered.
    The size our our company compared to ZAGG is like comparing an ant to an elephant.

ZAGG ships 50,000 orders a day, which doesn't include what they sell at Best Buy and Wal-Mart.

I can easily offer a screen protector that is the same quality as ZAGG. I can include three to a package and give a lifetime warranty. That's because the cost of that kind of protector is nothing.

Our protectors cost 20 times more to make compared to any other company in the business. There is a reason we are the only ones in the business that offer the type of protector we do.

They don't come from China, Japan or Korea - we have them made in the United States. They are ultra high end protectors.

If you bought a case for your phone does it have a lifetime warranty?

My company has a strict rule against selling cheap, inexpensive products. Our cases are made of higher quality materials than anyone else in the business including Otterbox.

At the same time my views on customer service is that it must be as good as the products we provide. Since we are a relatively new company we are figuring out much of this as we go.

So far the unofficial guidelines are that if you mess up an install we'll ship another for 50% off. If we send you a defective product we ask for a picture so you don't have to send it back, wait for an RMA process, and then get a new one. We send a replacement right away.

As far as damage to the protector while you are using it, the same policy that buying a case applies - it saved your screen or your device so be happy and buy a new one. Our protectors are break resistant. We have some video's on our site demonstrating it.

As others have said if you read though the thread I take care of all of the customer service myself and I'm very generous. The people on this thread have helped me size protectors, improve installation instructions, and given me a ton of valuable feedback. I regard anyone from XDA as a premium customer.

There will soon be a point where I cannot do all of the customer service. By then we should have official guidelines which will be posted to our site. They likely will be what I've described.

However I'll personally be here on the forums to handle all of the XDA related issues.

Scott
    Saran Wrap is a Zagg killer.
    Follow-up questions!

Anybody with a full-cut:

How is swiping from the edges? Do your fingers get caught on the screen protector?

Anybody with a DBA Thin Grip (DBATG)

How is swiping from the edges? That is, how high is the lip? Can you swipe readily every time or once in a while, you get caught by the case?

--

Also, what is the return policy? I imagine for screen protectors there isn't one once its been applied, but what about cases? I didn't find anything on the website.

I have been using mine for 3 days now and haven't had any issues at all. I have the ultra and the lip never gets in the way, so I'd assume the thin grip would be just as good if not better as far as the lip goes.

Is this the "full cut" I received today direct from dba's website? Waited for this new cut before I ordered; and avoided Amazon so as to not chance it and this is what I got. There is absolutely no edge of the glass protection.
    View attachment 1431551

The 2nd protector I got in my order of 2 units isn't even a pre-cut protector, just a sheet of the material cut like a sharp square?!
    View attachment 1431559

Not happy so far... Will be emailing Scott on these issues. Ordered on 10/21 received today.

The Armor Suit I have on my other S3 is a perfect edge-to-edge protector.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

All I can say is maybe you should read the information in this thread before ordering. I'm 100% happy with mine. I actually prefer not having edge to edge protection, that way there is zero chance of any case interfering or causing the edges to lift up. I guess you just can't satisfy all the people all the time, but it's really your responsibility to research before buying.