Purchase Unlock Code

Search This thread

titanshadow

Feb 17, 2012
Lexington, KY
home.blazingumbra.com
I've been reading something online that suggest there is a way to purchase an Unlock code for a NON-Developer Edition Moto X from Verizon. I am kind of interested in doing this so I can get my root back. I was wondering if this was an official thing to buy one from Verizon or something less than official?

doitinthedirt

Mar 31, 2014
I've been reading something online that suggest there is a way to purchase an Unlock code for a NON-Developer Edition Moto X from Verizon. I am kind of interested in doing this so I can get my root back. I was wondering if this was an official thing to buy one from Verizon or something less than official?

I've been trying to get a clear answer to this but I don't think anyone knows for sure, not too many people jumping in to talk about it, I have found these posts though that seem to indicate that you don't need a dev ed. to root 4.4.
http://www.reddit.com/r/MotoX/comments/1x8puu/can_i_root_a_nondev_verizon_moto_x_and_get_free/
http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/development/tool-moto-x-toolkit-v1-2-1-t2477132

I would love a correct answer so I don't waste time with a phone that wont give me hotspot on my unlimited data plan, I know the phone will come with 4.4 installed, and possibly never even have had 4.2 on it to start with.. so we are looking for the same info, CAN 4.4 BE ROOTED ON NON DEV MOTO X?

IEcansuckit

Mar 10, 2014
Earth
I've been trying to get a clear answer to this but I don't think anyone knows for sure, not too many people jumping in to talk about it, I have found these posts though that seem to indicate that you don't need a dev ed. to root 4.4.
http://www.reddit.com/r/MotoX/comments/1x8puu/can_i_root_a_nondev_verizon_moto_x_and_get_free/
http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/development/tool-moto-x-toolkit-v1-2-1-t2477132

I would love a correct answer so I don't waste time with a phone that wont give me hotspot on my unlimited data plan, I know the phone will come with 4.4 installed, and possibly never even have had 4.2 on it to start with.. so we are looking for the same info, CAN 4.4 BE ROOTED ON NON DEV MOTO X?

I bought mine through Best Buy (on Verizon) about a month ago. I have root on 4.4 using the SlapMyMoto method. I used this guide on Reddit because I found it a little less confusing than the one on XDA.

I installed Xposed framework and the X Tether/Moto Tether module and it seems to activate the hotspot just fine.

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
(sorry, this might be the long answer, but hopefully it will help you understand what I'm saying and why..)

SlapMyMoto can be used to root, and MotoWpNoMo can be used to disable write protection *IF* your phone is on 4.4 or lower.

MotoWpNoMo (which disables write protection) is needed because when Write Protection is enabled (the phone's default state with locked bootloader, or the state you are in after you take the 4.4.2 OTA), any changes made to /system, or the like, (including, but not limited to, App installs, file modifications, deletions, renames, etc) are not permanent and are lost at power off/on. Even if you have root, but lost Write Protection, any apps you've installed that need to write to system can't permanently save their changes (you have to re-do every time your phone powers off/on), and any Root type app, or app that gets installed to /system after WP is enabled will be lost at power off/on.

If you are on 4.4. and use SlapMyMoto/MotoWpNoMo, but later take the OTA to 4.4.2, you might keep root but Write Protection will be re-enabled with no way to disable it.

Due to fixes and changes in 4.4.2, the Root and Disable Write Protection processes that worked on 4.4 and lower, no longer work on 4.4.2. And don't expect anything for 4.4.2 for a while, if ever. So if the phone you buy comes with 4.4.2 pre-installed, and you have a locked bootloader you're stuck!!

This is not an issue if you have an unlocked bootloader. You can still unlock your bootloader (which disables write protection), and root (by just using a custom recovery and flashing SuperSU) no matter what rom is on your phone.

The option of buying the Bootloader Unlock Code for Non-Dev Verizon X from the Chinese site or middleman appears to have dried up. (no contact from the seller in a few days, and rumors he got caught/fired/worse)

If you really need ROOT, Write Protection Disabled, the ability to tether on an unlimited data plan, then you really should consider getting the Dev Edition X for Verizon, as you can unlock its bootloader (without voiding warranty), root it (no matter what rom is on the phone), and do what you want. Especailly since to keep the unlimited data you'll need to buy the phone at Full Retail (unless you are taking an upgrade on an alternate line to the X, and then moving the X to your line)

Last edited:
Reactions: titanshadow

Apr 18, 2008
emphasizing the below, so this thread (and hopefully others) doesn't continue...

The option of buying the Bootloader Unlock Code for Non-Dev Verizon X from the Chinese site or middleman appears to have dried up. (no contact from the seller in a few days, and rumors he got caught/fired/worse)

doitinthedirt

Mar 31, 2014
thanks kidJoe for the detailed answer I was thinking 4.4 was 4.4.2

You cleared it up beautifully!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    (sorry, this might be the long answer, but hopefully it will help you understand what I'm saying and why..)

SlapMyMoto can be used to root, and MotoWpNoMo can be used to disable write protection *IF* your phone is on 4.4 or lower.

MotoWpNoMo (which disables write protection) is needed because when Write Protection is enabled (the phone's default state with locked bootloader, or the state you are in after you take the 4.4.2 OTA), any changes made to /system, or the like, (including, but not limited to, App installs, file modifications, deletions, renames, etc) are not permanent and are lost at power off/on. Even if you have root, but lost Write Protection, any apps you've installed that need to write to system can't permanently save their changes (you have to re-do every time your phone powers off/on), and any Root type app, or app that gets installed to /system after WP is enabled will be lost at power off/on.

If you are on 4.4. and use SlapMyMoto/MotoWpNoMo, but later take the OTA to 4.4.2, you might keep root but Write Protection will be re-enabled with no way to disable it.

Due to fixes and changes in 4.4.2, the Root and Disable Write Protection processes that worked on 4.4 and lower, no longer work on 4.4.2. And don't expect anything for 4.4.2 for a while, if ever. So if the phone you buy comes with 4.4.2 pre-installed, and you have a locked bootloader you're stuck!!

This is not an issue if you have an unlocked bootloader. You can still unlock your bootloader (which disables write protection), and root (by just using a custom recovery and flashing SuperSU) no matter what rom is on your phone.

If you really need ROOT, Write Protection Disabled, the ability to tether on an unlimited data plan, then you really should consider getting the Dev Edition X for Verizon, as you can unlock its bootloader (without voiding warranty), root it (no matter what rom is on the phone), and do what you want. Especailly since to keep the unlimited data you'll need to buy the phone at Full Retail (unless you are taking an upgrade on an alternate line to the X, and then moving the X to your line)