A fix for the yellow-ish display

Search This thread

nour85

Nov 10, 2010
I have 3 from top to bottom 16g from virgin mobile Canada and the other 2 are 32g from playstore. 16g has the best screen whites look nice only issue is that i have 2 dead pixels :crying: not sure if its only the 32g suffering from yellow tint

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 376
Reactions: Cheater912

nour85

Nov 10, 2010
Im getting my replacement on thursday hopefully its like yours. Question does ur replacement have any dead stuck pixels ?

cliffspab

Nov 6, 2013
Got my replacement 32GB

It's still a warm-ish screen, but it looks as it should to my eye, and not like it was soak dried in piss like the first one

:)

floepie

Feb 28, 2006
Amsterdam
I suspect this is just anecdotal but when comparing the black model with the white one, I noticed that the screen on the white one was less warm in color temp. The difference, while noticeable, was not that great however, but pretty easy to spot. Does anyone else have both models with which to compare?

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

I find it hilarious that people think an RMA is going to fix color calibration.

Folks, the screen's not yellow. It's warm. A good color calibrated display SHOULD be warm. Many phones and low quality (TN panel) computer screens are calibrated towards an extremely blue white point.

This may "look" more white, but here's the problem. You know where else you see those ultra-blue whites? Those big old flourescent lights. Yes, that's right, you're demanding that your phone look more like the sickly blue-white that offices have been infected with for decades.

The reason warm temperature colors are preferred for color accuracy is because that's how most of us see light. The sun, being the most significant producer of light on earth, is not a blue-white. It's a yellow-orange white. By aiming at a warmer color temperature, photos and movies will look much more like the real world. It's also easier and less straining on the eyes.

Finally, the reason it may seem to "fade" is simply perception. As you get used to the screen looking warmer than you're accustomed to, it'll perceptibly seem less warm, even if it's not. Trying to compare from memory is frankly the most unscientific and unreliable method of comparing anything. Your brain simply doesn't retain detail like that. The only way to appropriately measure it is to use a color meter. No, photos won't cut it, your camera must also make choices on color temperature and it can get it very wrong.

Very nice. I would also add that when people take photos of their phones with cameras, the camera must decide the proper white balance for each photo. So, the photographer adds yet another variable into the mix, and there is no real good way to manually set the white balance against something that is producing its own light! So, if a camera decides that the white of one phone is correct and the other not, the phone not chosen will look abnormally colder or warmer on the photo than the one the camera deemed as the correct white point. The point being, you can't simply take a photo of your phone and show us how "yellow" your screen is. It just doesn't work like that.

eep2378

Aug 12, 2010
MA
Franco tweaked the white balance with his latedt r10 kernel. Yellowish tint is definitely improved. At this time his app doesn't allow for control control but it will be implemented in the near future I presume.

Sent from the Islet of Langerhans

Reactions: amaurytv

kresk

Feb 1, 2011
Scranton
Based on what? If you're looking at photos, you can't make that comparison. Cameras can completely alter the color temperature of what they photograph. You can literally take two photos of the same device in slightly different lighting and the device will look extremely blue, and then extremely yellow.

Okay? Of course bad panels exist. If you literally can't read text because the whole screen is off color (this usually happens because one of the leads to the panel is damaged), that's completely different issue. We're talking about the Nexus 5 being warmer than other devices here.

Honestly I have absolutely no problems with the contrast here, even looking at screenshots of the device on my calibrated monitor at a warm temperature. If your eyes have trouble discerning the difference between text with such a little difference as a color temperature change, then you should look into accessibility options like high contrast modes.

There is zero evidence that there is actually a lot of variability here. That's the real issue in this thread. People are making completely anecdotal claims to color which is insane. You literally cannot know if your phone is warmer/cooler than someone else's without a color meter. Taking a photo/video, describing the color, that's useless. I could take photos of my phone right now that makes it look GREEN if I wanted, just by putting the photo frame in different lighting conditions. Cameras are worse than eyes in this regard. They have to guess at the color temperature, and even a $1000 DSLR can vary wildly if left to its own devices.

I'm more willing to believe that it's perception, since that's more based in evidence, instead of the completely unprovable situation you suggest.

Some reviewers are more familiar with color theory and understand how color temperature works. Or they use warmer devices/color calibrated monitors in their work. Generally, any reviewer with any sort of photography experience (read: a lot of them) understands color theory and thus won't claim a display looks washed out when it's not.

Meanwhile, the average person just compares it to their old 9300K white point phone and goes "WOW, THIS WHITE IS SO YELLOW NOW". It's not yellow, it's warmer. There's no such thing as a pure white to our eyes.

Moving to a cooler temperature doesn't make a display less washed out, by the way. This is important! All you're doing is moving the goalposts around. You gain range in some areas, but you lose it in the exact same ratio elsewhere. Not to mention it makes people's faces look like they're pale and sick, which is why the cooler temperature isn't preferable in the first place (it's not what your eyes see in real life).
For whatever it's worth, here is my screen experience in a nut shell.The whites on my first N5 had extremely bright whites. Bright to the point where I would say to myself. Damn this screen is bright. Kind of hirt my eyes bright. What also cought my attention was how my brightness was always set to a significantly lower point than where I used to set my N4 at. Anyway, that screen ended up having some dead pixels. Whether that bright screen had anything to do with the dead pixels, I can't really say, but I just thought about so who knows. Now, I got my replacement N5 yesterday. The newer screen definitely has a yellowish/warmer tint which I like actually. The first N5 screen and the whites it produced were too intense. This one seems to be just right. And no dead pixels :)

Here take a look for yourself. The new one is on the left. O guess there is a possibility that after a while the new one will lesson in that yellow color. I won't have my other one that long to compare it to though. Either way, I like my current N5 anyhow.

Attachments

• download_20131113_083657.jpg
    download_20131113_083657.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 332
  • download_20131113_083652.jpg
    download_20131113_083652.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 309
  • download_20131113_083646.jpg
    download_20131113_083646.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:

floepie

Feb 28, 2006
Amsterdam
Unfortunately, it's not the glue--in that case, there would be yellow splotches on the screen, not a uniformly yellow-tinted screen. It's very unlikely to go away.

Where do you get this stuff from? If there were glue, there would be splotches? If there were glue, wouldn't the glue have been applied uniformly so as to prevent detection of varying thickness of the glue layer? Even if there were glue, the glue doesn't begin to dry the moment you open the box as some posts seem to imply.

tremblingwater

Jul 24, 2010
London
I really dont understand the big deal with all of this. It isn't some random 'glue-in' issue nor some manufacturing issue. It is clearly just a warm display which will be fixed pretty easily through kernels with Franco's latest starting to do so already.

qnet

Oct 26, 2011
ATL
www.network-creations.net
I really dont understand the big deal with all of this. It isn't some random 'glue-in' issue nor some manufacturing issue. It is clearly just a warm display which will be fixed pretty easily through kernels with Franco's latest starting to do so already.

Everyone isn't going to want to try a different kernel. From personal experience, I probably would have never noticed it if I hadn't compared it to my black Nexus 5. After seeing it, it's hard not to wonder if something is wrong.

jlomein

Jun 15, 2012
The display being warm and yellow is not purposely intended. If it was, all Nexus 5 phones would have a similar yellow hue. Yet look at the photos posted in this thread. One photo posted shows three Nexus 5 devices side by side, and they ALL have different whites. This is loose tolerance manufacturer variation, not some greater than thou new feature.

wynand32

Jan 2, 2008
Where do you get this stuff from? If there were glue, there would be splotches? If there were glue, wouldn't the glue have been applied uniformly so as to prevent detection of varying thickness of the glue layer? Even if there were glue, the glue doesn't begin to dry the moment you open the box as some posts seem to imply.

I get it from the various accounts I've read of where the glue issue has happened on other devices. I've read about splotches of yellow, and also where the edge of screens are yellowish. But never where the entire screen is consistently yellowish and seen that it's gone away. I've owned a few devices myself that had the issue and that I had for over a month, and the issue never miraculously resolved itself. I've had my original N5 for a week now, and it hasn't gone away.

Anyone can believe that this is glue if they want, but I just suggest that they don't wait beyond the 15-day return period for it to go away if they're not happy with it.

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

Everyone isn't going to want to try a different kernel. From personal experience, I probably would have never noticed it if I hadn't compared it to my black Nexus 5. After seeing it, it's hard not to wonder if something is wrong.

Agreed about the kernel (I don't want to depend on developers to resolve an issue with a brand-new device). And, yes, the issue is most obvious if you're comparing it to something else. If you're not, then you'd likely not notice it.

Problem is, I go from my Nexus 10 tablet, which is excellent, to my original Nexus 5, and the yellowish tint on the latter is just unattractive and glaring. If I wasn't going from my N10 to my N5, I'd probably be okay with it. Of course, that's not my situation.

I still don't get why there's so much argumentation over this issue. I didn't like my N5, I RMA'd it, the screen on the replacement is significantly better overall (whites are whiter, colors are deeper, contrast is higher), and so I'm happy. Some other people might like a warmer, more yellowish screen. If so, excellent.

But why does it bother some people so much that some of us don't like the screens on our N5's? Seems like it's no skin off of anyone else's teeth...

qnet

Oct 26, 2011
ATL
www.network-creations.net
I get it from the various accounts I've read of where the glue issue has happened on other devices. I've read about splotches of yellow, and also where the edge of screens are yellowish. But never where the entire screen is consistently yellowish and seen that it's gone away. I've owned a few devices myself that had the issue and that I had for over a month, and the issue never miraculously resolved itself. I've had my original N5 for a week now, and it hasn't gone away.

Anyone can believe that this is glue if they want, but I just suggest that they don't wait beyond the 15-day return period for it to go away if they're not happy with it.

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

Agreed about the kernel (I don't want to depend on developers to resolve an issue with a brand-new device). And, yes, the issue is most obvious if you're comparing it to something else. If you're not, then you'd likely not notice it.

Problem is, I go from my Nexus 10 tablet, which is excellent, to my original Nexus 5, and the yellowish tint on the latter is just unattractive and glaring. If I wasn't going from my N10 to my N5, I'd probably be okay with it. Of course, that's not my situation.

I still don't get why there's so much argumentation over this issue. I didn't like my N5, I RMA'd it, the screen on the replacement is significantly better overall (whites are whiter, colors are deeper, contrast is higher), and so I'm happy. Some other people might like a warmer, more yellowish screen. If so, excellent.

But why does it bother some people so much that some of us don't like the screens on our N5's? Seems like it's no skin off of anyone else's teeth...

I've read the majority of this thread and don't understand that either.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I find it hilarious that people think an RMA is going to fix color calibration.

Folks, the screen's not yellow. It's warm. A good color calibrated display SHOULD be warm. Many phones and low quality (TN panel) computer screens are calibrated towards an extremely blue white point.

This may "look" more white, but here's the problem. You know where else you see those ultra-blue whites? Those big old flourescent lights. Yes, that's right, you're demanding that your phone look more like the sickly blue-white that offices have been infected with for decades.

The reason warm temperature colors are preferred for color accuracy is because that's how most of us see light. The sun, being the most significant producer of light on earth, is not a blue-white. It's a yellow-orange white. By aiming at a warmer color temperature, photos and movies will look much more like the real world. It's also easier and less straining on the eyes.

Finally, the reason it may seem to "fade" is simply perception. As you get used to the screen looking warmer than you're accustomed to, it'll perceptibly seem less warm, even if it's not. Trying to compare from memory is frankly the most unscientific and unreliable method of comparing anything. Your brain simply doesn't retain detail like that. The only way to appropriately measure it is to use a color meter. No, photos won't cut it, your camera must also make choices on color temperature and it can get it very wrong.
    Based on what? If you're looking at photos, you can't make that comparison. Cameras can completely alter the color temperature of what they photograph. You can literally take two photos of the same device in slightly different lighting and the device will look extremely blue, and then extremely yellow.

Based on me putting two N5's side by side and everyone in the room agreeing my screen looked very yellow and his looked very white.

Whether you like a yellow screen or not, a distinct, tangible difference between displays on the same model indicates that something is up.

I know you're determined to imply that people in this thread with complaints are stupid plebs, but that really isnt the case.
    Maybe it can be adjusted for in software, but I don't believe this is just a calibration issue. I also don't think it's color temp, precisely, because that should be either bluish cold or reddish warm, not urine yellow (sorry, best way to describe it)

A warm white balance is yellowish not red. At low levels my N5 is massively warm next to my N4
    I don't know if you can tell the difference but it's there. I already submitted an RMA for it. The 32GB is the one with the issue.

I do not see a difference.

Here is my Black 32GB next to my Nexus 4. I already ordered a replacement. If I see a difference with the replacement, I'll post another side by side pic.
    Guys, I have gone through each and every post in this thread yet am not able to get to a conclusion whether to send back my Nexus 5 or not. I got a 32Gb black with a yellow tint. Its not all that a big prob for me, but would like to know if this can be fixed with a software update? Thanks in advance.

I just received my second white 32gb model. It still wasn't has nice a screen as the Nexus 5 I already had but not as bad as the white 32gb I had before.

The interesting thing that has happened is, the display looks better now.

One of the things I had noticed, other than the yellow tint of the previous model, was my Google + profile pic in the pull down area was not as sharp and seemed to not fit well in the box. Now it looks normal and just as good as my other N5.

It basically straightened itself out after I used the phone for a awhile. The yellow tint is just about gone and the screen seems to be brighter. It's still. It quite as bright as my first N5 but it's darn close.

I would say keep using it and see what happens

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD