[Q] NFC Tag writing after Google OTA patch

Search This thread

spences10

Jan 18, 2010
London
Has anyone been able to write any tags with their Galaxy Nexus handset yet with the software from the market?

I got these tags http://www.rfidshop.com/tamperproof-label---nfc-pack-of-10-3132-p.asp

I'm trying to use NFC Task Launcher but it says the tag isn't the correct format, I also used a reader but that also says:

'This item is used blocked or not supported and cannot contain an NFC data set'

I have contacted the company that supplied me the tags and they are happy to refund me but after further correspondence with them I have confirmed I have indeed bought the correct tags

So before I send them back I'd like to know if it's just down to ICS and the new hardware

Update 1:

I have now tried several NFC apps from the market some say the tag is unlocked some say it write protected I have tried writing to one and the app said complete but when I touch the tag again it just prompts to write to it again =/

I'm hoping it's the tags and I have somehow got a corrupted batch, I need to find somewhere I can test the tags independently of the Galaxy Nexus to rule it out

Anyone have any Ideas?

Update 2:

Issue raised with Google by user krohnjw [thanks :D]
From the android bug tracker
"Thanks for the report. We're aware of this issue, and it will be fixed in next upcoming release."
032p6ql3f

Update 3:

Have just applied the patch .zip and tried one of the tags from TagsFroDroid.com and it's still the same issue where the tag isn't recognised by the handset!!!

Last edited:

redmongoose

Jan 16, 2010
Looks like it ;-)

Once mine turns up, I'll be trying it too. I was also planning to order from the same company as you as well, so I'll be keeping a watch on this before ordering.

grizlore

Jan 9, 2009
Rose of the Shires
Hi spences10

I think you and I have crossed paths with the Mighty Dell Streak (Great device, make the SGN look tiny :D Glad you are onboard with the SGN)

Your idea looks interesting, sorry i cant help, but it is a free bump for you.

Can you tell me where you got these tags from, and how much they were please?

Are they rewritable one?

Good luck

Last edited:

spences10

Jan 18, 2010
London
Hi spences10

I think you and I have crossed paths with the Mighty Dell Streak (Great device, make the SGN look tiny :D Glad you are onboard with the SGN)

Your idea looks interesting, sorry i cant help, but it is a free bump for you.

Can you tell me where you got these tags from, and how much they were please?

Are they rewritable one?

Good luck

Hi grizlore good to hear from you again dude :)

The company that does the tags is linked in the main post, I'll link you the exact page if you like

From talking to the guy at the company they are the right tags for what we want to write to with the galaxy nexus

I have started the thread to find if its the tags or of the software needs updating

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

s.m.knipe

Aug 2, 2009
Shepherdstown, WV
Sorry, I'd love to be able to have tried it, but the Carriers (?- I think, maybe Google/Samsung) are dragging their feet here in the States...

Forgive my ignorance, but what frequencies do the NFC tags/transponder use? Is there variation or changes in the standards over time (i.e. the phone's hardware and tags match right?)? How were they packaged, were they shielded from anything that might have interfered with the tags?

I don't know much about the NFC systems, but this is one of the features I am most excited for (sadly I skipped the Nexus S last year). And I can't wait to play around with this...

spences10

Jan 18, 2010
London
Just a tag out of the package tapped it against the back of the phone and it pops up saying its incompatible

Chirality

Sep 6, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Sorry this doesn't relate to your problem, but since you are knowledgeable about NFC tags, do you know if it's possible to use the NFC in the GN to read an RFID tag in an ID card, store that, and then let me use the phone in place of the ID card to get accesses to card readers that read the ID card?

Fred23

Oct 6, 2006
I couldn't get NFC Launcher to work, but could read my UK Oyster travel card (MIFARE) using NXP TagInfo. I couldn't do much with it though - maybe because it's encrypted.

There are quite a few types of RFID tags. Many simple ones are 125kHz and these can store the data in different formats. NFC uses 13.56MHz along with some other RFID tags.

briguyd

Oct 28, 2010
This is very upsetting if true. Hopefully it's either a non-issue or will be fixed with a software update. I ordered a Nexus and some NFC tags, so next week I should be able to test this.

krohnjw

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 17, 2007
Plainfield
Ok, let me chime in here :) NFC Task Launcher works on my AOSP build of ICS on the Nexus S. I don't have a GN yet, but will be picking one up when it becomes available.

First, spences10, can you please link the exact tags your purchased - I can easily check the specs and let you know if they should be compatible or not?

Second, the Mifare 1K Classic tags aren't actually NDEF form type tags. They work on the Nexus S but are NOT guaranteed to work on all future devices (Blackberries for example do not work well with them). If you want the best bang for your buck look at the Mifare Ultralight C tags (144 bytes and cheap).

I've compiled a list of shops that I've personally tested with the Nexus S and enumerated which tags definitely work if it's a subset of what is offered: http://www.jwksoftware.com/nfc-tags - feel free to take a look.

Last edited:

spences10

Jan 18, 2010
London
Ok, let me chime in here :) NFC Task Launcher works on my AOSP build of ICS on the Nexus S. I don't have a GN yet, but will be picking one up when it becomes available.

First, spences10, can you please link the exact tags your purchased - I can easily check the specs and let you know if they should be compatible or not?

Second, the Mifare 1K Classic tags aren't actually NDEF form type tags. They work on the Nexus S but are NOT guaranteed to work on all future devices (Blackberries for example do not work well with them). If you want the best bang for your buck look at the Mifare Ultralight C tags (144 bytes and cheap).

I've compiled a list of shops that I've personally tested with the Nexus S and enumerated which tags definitely work if it's a subset of what is offered: http://www.jwksoftware.com/nfc-tags - feel free to take a look.

Thanks for the response krohnjw

I have updated the op with the link to the tags, I'll check out the link as well

krohnjw

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 17, 2007
Plainfield

I have updated the op with the link to the tags, I'll check out the link as well

Ok, they don't list any actual specs, but assuming those are actually Mifare Ultralights (Type 2 ) tags they should work. However they have a very limited capacity (48 bytes).

Reactions: spences10

spences10

Jan 18, 2010
London
Ok, they don't list any actual specs, but assuming those are actually Mifare Ultralights (Type 2 ) tags they should work. However they have a very limited capacity (48 bytes).

OK thanks krohnjw on the strength of that I think I will return them for a refund

fdm1

May 4, 2009
Ok, Have now purchased these. I'm not sure how long shipping will take to the UK though

http://www.tagsfordroid.com/tags/Home.html

oooo...I haven't had an NFC phone yet, but I didn't know you could do stuff like this with them...

"Change Phone State
Turn WiFi on/off, set ringer volume in car or home, etc. "

That would be super-awesome to just wave the phone over one of these as I walk in my house to change phone settings.

spences10

Jan 18, 2010
London
oooo...I haven't had an NFC phone yet, but I didn't know you could do stuff like this with them...

"Change Phone State
Turn WiFi on/off, set ringer volume in car or home, etc. "

That would be super-awesome to just wave the phone over one of these as I walk in my house to change phone settings.

Thats exactly what I want them for :D

Check this out from on of my Google+ buddies http://thegfbblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/ever-since-i-got-my-nexus-s-4g-few.html

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just for the record, I purchased my NFC tags from Tagage (these ones) and I'm getting the same error as you.

I'm sure somebody will come along with a fix sooner or later.

So I did some digging in to this and found an issue that is either an intentional change or an unintentional one on Google/Android's side from <=2.3.7 to 4.0.

Mifare Classic, Mifare Ultralight and Mifare Ultralight C (with the latter two being NFC Forum Type 2 Tags) *no longer* report as NdefFormatable in the tech list. They report only as NfcA and MifareClassic/MifareUltralight.

The issue with this is that you can no longer leverage the NdefFormatable class to format the tags for NDEF messages (what Android uses). It requires the tag report itself as NdefFormatable before it will act. The methods that it leverages for formatting the tag Ndef aren't public or are hidden right now so I haven't found a way to circumvent that check yet.

Tags that are already formatted for NDEF work 100%. Tags that are not yet formatted *will not format* currently. This happens with every NFC writing App I've pulled from the Market so far :(

So, if you are buying tags to use RIGHT NOW then try to get tags that are pre-formated (I know tagstand does this). If you are curious you can ask the vendor.

Edit: I've filed a bug report with the issue tracker as well as posted in the Google Group for developers - we'll see if I get any answer.

I just ordered some tags from a UK eBay seller nfc-supplies and was surprised to get an email offering to pre-format them if I intended to use them with a Galaxy Nexus. Pretty good service!

They're Mifare Ultralight stickers. I'll let you know how I get on once they arrive.
    Well the tags just arrived. Pretty quick delivery and pre-formatted. I can definitely recommend nfc-supplies on eBay UK.

I can write text to the tags using NXP TagWriter and read it back. I tried to write a contact but it was too large - fair enough it probably did exceed the 64 bytes on the Ultralight tag. Trying to create a URL/URI caused a FC in the app before even attempting to write it to the tag, so that's probably an app compatibility issue with ICS.
    I got it working for my Mifare Classic 1K tags from tagsfordroid.com.
    I can now write NDEF messages.

Here is my blog post:
    ICS: Getting NFC Tags to Work

I'm new to NFC, so this might now be the optimal solution.