[Guide][Bricked][Unbrick][ZE551ML][ZE550ML] Black screen,No fastboot,Rec. vib only

Search This thread

sukhwant717

Mar 17, 2015
Amritsar
For those who bricked their phone and facing any of the following issue (Black screen, vibrating only, no fastboot, unable to start, unable to install firmware etc.)
If you got No Fastboot, No recovery, No Display, hard bricked your device.You must perform sequential steps indicated below, process will include many small steps. Plz make sure to perform all steps in same sequence and same manner as prescribed. Remove all drivers related to mobile you have installed earlier.

Step 1: Install the Intel Soc USB driver:

(if you are using windows 8 or 10. it is very important to disable driver signature enforcement. see the sections related to your windows below. (note: if you will reboot pc after disabling it will be enabled again)).

This Is the driver which help a computer connecte to your Zen2 IntelSoc mode. To install these driver you need to perform special steps if you are using windows 8 / 8.1, 10 . you need to disable driver signature enforcement before installing drivers. below i have mentioned steps needed to install driver for various versions of windows. but first download the needed driver from link given below.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwR0JGeFI2U3FUZ2c

Step 1.1 - how to install these drivers:

(Note: if you see the image like below attached thumbnail and you click install software any way 2 times means drivers are installed correctly. if you don't see image below while installation it means you need to disable driver signature enforcement)

If you're using Windows 7:

Right-click the file - iSocUSB-Driver-Setup-1.2.0 choose "Run as Administrator".
Make The installation steps as usual until you see a small window "Windows Security" requires authentication settings then click on the "install this driver software anyway"

After This step, the driver installation is finished, continue to section 1.2 for connecting IntelSoc.

If you're using Windows 8 / 8.1 :
On Keyboard press Windows + I to show charm bar in the right corner,
click on the option setting. Choose "Change PC Settings" to enter the PC Settings.
Choose the General tab and navigate to Advanced Startup section, continue click Restart now.
This will reboot windows and allows you access to the advanced mode, now select the following options: Troubleshoot - -Startup Settings Advanced Options and then click the Restart button to restart the computer.

now you will see screen with various options numbered from 1. Find disable driver signature enforcement. And press the appropriate number on keyboard your pc will reboot

Now Right-click the file - iSocUSB-Driver-Setup-1.2.0 choose "Run as Administrator".
Make The installation steps as usual until you see a small window "Windows Security" requires authentication settings then click on the "install this driver software anyway"

After This step, the driver installation is finished, continue to section 1.2

If you're using Windows 10 :

On Keyboard press Windows + I or click Start, select Settings.
In The Settings window, select the Update & security.
Continue Choose recovery and then advanced startup and click "Restart now".
When The computer has access to the Advanced screen you will see screen with various options numbered from 1. Find disable driver signature enforcement. And press the appropriate number on keyboard your pc will reboot

Now Right-click the file - iSocUSB-Driver-Setup-1.2.0 choose "Run as Administrator".

1.2 Connect Zenfone with computer IntelSoc Mode:

Now you must complete this step before installing xfstk downloader. it helps to setup device's connection to PC

on your pc open device manager and find Intel Soc.
Click to expand it. You will see a single option under here.
Connect your phone to computer via USB cable,

now back to the phone, hold power button for 10 seconds to shutdown completely, then press simultaneously the key "power" + "volume down", until phone vibrates. Or computer makes detection sound, wait a few seconds. it will add an item immediately below intelSoC in device manager ?MOOREFIELD? new devices is connected successful.

Now Download intel android USB Driver and install normally from link below:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwSU5CdDNuUElEcUE

( only after installing the above driver with correct steps and connecting Soc then only install xFSTK).

Step: 2 Installing xfstk-downloader:

installation of xFSTK is very simple. download xFSTK setup from the link below. to install. right click the setup file and run as Administrator. click next next simply until you finish the installation process
Here is the download link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRweDdfMjlPOGEyTW8
Now to Unbrick Process.

( only after installing the above driver with correct steps) go ahead to unbrick process.

Unbrick Process:

-The Necessary files:
ZE551ML: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwV0QyWFRXbjMxaFk

ZE550ML: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwY1AyLUdKdkI3OWM

After downloading the necessary files extract it. it will contain 3 files:- dnx_fwr.bin, ifwi.bin, droidboot_dnx.img.POS_sign.bin.

-Run XFSTK Downloader as Administrator, click the second tab at bottom MRD A0 / B0 + MOOR A0 + CRC .

-Then Go to Options to change the value in the Value Section Override Flag GP 0x80000807. Tick GP value over ride, change device detection time out value to 220 and Click OK is complete initial preparation. (important note: never use wrong gp flag value it may complicate things)

+ First select Firmware files FW DnX: and IFWI: by clicking small three dots:- IFWI DNX 2 dnx_fwr.bin and ifwi.bin file.
+ Now select operating system : skip the first box, in second box select file droidboot_dnx.img.POS_sign.bin

now switch off your mobile by holding power button for long and connect to pc.

now click begin download on xFSTK. after that simply power on mobile.

-Here You may see error multiple times just try to power off device completely and turn on again. flash again and again Until you see success: FW+OS Download complete!

After that you may see a 4 color screen, just like some TV stations stop broadcasting on TV. You have to wait a little. after few seconds or minutes device will boot into bootloader. wait 10 to 15 min if no success, If not repeat the xFSTK process again. once you get fastboot screen on device go ahead to flash RAW firmware

Now there are two ways to flash RAW firmware one is Asus Flash Tool (AFT) other is without AFT with help of commands. Personally, i like command method as it is much more reliable than Asus Flash Tool. both methods are provided here under.

Flash Raw Firmware Using Asus Flash Tool:

Required Files:
Asus Flash Tool: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwUDZqa0M4SWRObVE
Raw Firmware File:
ZE551ML: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwb2x1SHg2UUlsT0U ( Link updated to google drive and latest raw firmware 2.20.40.194)

ZE550ML:https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwcTBDaXZOYUNBdHM

Download Asus Flash Tool and install. Run asus flash tool as administrator. And select the phone model. Then select the downloaded raw file and click start button to flash.
Note: sometimes flash process may go endless. If this happens remove the usb from computer. Kill asus flashtool process from task manager. Now run tool again and flash.

Flashing Firmware Without AFT:

For this you need two things first is adb tool and second is raw firmware file both links are provided here under:

Fastboot and adb tool: ( includes setup as well as independent files ) latest version updated

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwMGVuT0cwRlp2UG8

Adb fastboot tool for 64 bit windows and for those who are facing issue to load zip files while adb sideload. or unable to load system.img

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwUkFRMl81b1pWa0k

Raw firmware ( you can use any earlier downloaded RAW firmware file)
ZE551ML: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwb2x1SHg2UUlsT0U ( Link updated to google drive and latest raw firmware 2.20.40.194)

ZE550ML: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwcTBDaXZOYUNBdHM

Now very first of all, rename .raw firmware file to .zip file and extract all files from it.. now place all files in adb and fastboot folder. ( Note: to extract raw file to avoid extension issue please give firmware file a complete new name ie: "user.zip" or anything you like

now in folder ( where you placed files from raw firmware and adb and fastboot tool folder) at empty place anywhere in folder hold Shift on computer keyboard and right click with mouse. Now click open command window here.

perform the following commands

1. fastboot devices ( see if it is recognized: else plug out usb and plugin again)
2. fastboot oem erase_osip_header
3. fastboot oem start_partitioning
4. fastboot flash /tmp/partition.tbl partition.tbl
5. fastboot oem partition /tmp/partition.tbl
6. fastboot erase system
7. fastboot erase cache
8. fastboot erase data
9. fastboot erase APD
10. fastboot erase ADF
11. fastboot oem wipe splashscreen
12. fastboot oem stop_partitioning
13. fastboot flash splashscreen splash_sign.bin
14. fastboot flash token MFG_BOM_Full.bin
15. fastboot flash ifwi ifwi-prod.bin
16. fastboot flash boot boot_sign.bin
17. fastboot flash recovery recovery_sign.bin
18. fastboot flash fastboot droidboot_sign.bin
19. fastboot flash APD APD.img
20. fastboot flash system system.img
21. fastboot reboot

Phone will successfully reboot into system. don't worry, first boot gonna take a little longer time. so have patience and watch some funny video till phone boots up.

Now you can install any firmware version via adb sideload. make sure to install latest lollipop firmware before flashing Marshmallow. follow the guide to sideload.

How to Install firmware using adb sideload:

First of all go to setting > About >Software information > tap build number 7 times to enable developer options. now under setting go to developer options and find USB debugging here. tick to enable USB debugging

Now go to Asus website and download the desired firmware and place that file in adb fastboot tool folder. rename the files to your desirable short name ( lets take an example rename it to User.zip). now move your mouse cursor in folder anywhere at some empty place, press and hold the keyboard shift Button now right click your mouse button and open command window here. in cmd type adb devices and press enter ( note it will prompt an option on mobile to authorize the computer for adb. Please authorize this computer. ) after this your device will be listed under adb devices with some number. if not type command once again, if no success this time please ensure you have installed usb driver and authorized computer.
after adb recognize the device. run the following command

"adb reboot recovery"
phone will reboot into recovery ( Note you can go to recovery manually as well. for doing so power down your device. after that press and hold volume + button and press power button as mobile shows asus logo leave power button but keep holding volume button. you will boot into fastboot mode use your volume up and down key to go to option recovery mode. now click power button. phone will reboot into recovery mode.

once phone reboot into recovery mode find option apply update from adb and press that option with the help of power button

now go to cmd and run the following command

" adb sideload user.zip " ( Note: User.zip is the firmware file you download from asus and placed in adb tool folder and renamed so can be replaced with the name you renamed your file)

now let the computer do its work sit back and relax. once file loaded successfully reboot device.
( note first boot always takes little longer time so don't panic have patience and wait till phone boots completely

if you have any question please post here. use hide button while replying to avoid unnecessary length of post..

If the guide was helpful to you and your device is alive again. Hope you can hit the Thanks button. it will not take much effort or long time. Thank you.

Attachments

• click-install-this-driver-software-anyway.png
    click-install-this-driver-software-anyway.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 12,187
Last edited:

Tayanarak

Sep 21, 2015
Hell?
Well hello sorry for the silly or stupid question but since I'm new to asus, And I see a lot of peoples bricking your devices I wanted to ask, There are some risk in update it if my bootloader locked and my phone fully stock? I received it some weeks ago and I not rooted or unlocked bootloader yet, so there are some chance to I get in a brick? Like some peoples did? :eek: I going to update next week, but just on case I wanted ask.

I gonna be very thankful if someone answer me :D

Reactions: Rammie_jam

sukhwant717

Mar 17, 2015
Amritsar
Well hello sorry for the silly or stupid question but since I'm new to asus, And I see a lot of peoples bricking your devices I wanted to ask, There are some risk in update it if my bootloader locked and my phone fully stock? I received it some weeks ago and I not rooted or unlocked bootloader yet, so there are some chance to I get in a brick? Like some peoples did? :eek: I going to update next week, but just on case I wanted ask.

if you are stock. you can update without any issue. just keep in mind update to latest lolipop first.. ( Z00A-WW-2.20.40.194 ) then to MM

sukhwant717

Mar 17, 2015
Amritsar
those who are not able to keep device connected. take care of few steps

1. in xFSTK option menu change the flag override value to 0x80000807 not 0x800000807 ( don't forget to click gp value over ride)

2. while connecting to xFSTK attach usb to computer. hold power button for 20 seconds to make sure it power downs completely. then hold the power button down and click power button. wait till device vibrate or computer makes detection sound. leave power button but keep holding the volume button for few seconds

touhid7

Sep 2, 2016
thank you :)

i could not flash the raw file via Asus Flash Tool. then i followed this process. after successful reboot updated to last official lollipop rom by copying it to phone root directory. after that finallly upgraded to official android 6.

phone working fine now. thanks a lot :)

jeffrey roy

Mar 28, 2015
After a long time Asus funally launched MM for ZE551ML. but be very careful to install. Do not try to install it from custom recovery, do not install if you have rooted the phone. first return to stock rom. install latest lolipop build. then only update to MM.

any how for those who bricked their phone: use the following guide to unbrick ZE551ML

http://xdaforums.com/zenfone2/general/guide-brick-soft-hard-bricked-zenfone-2-t3284256

Read the above guide carefully. but even after that people are unable to unbrick. people who are unable to flash raw. perform step 2 of the above guide. after that do not use the asus flash tool. Try the following guide,

very first of all. rename .raw firmware file to .zip file and extract all files from it.. now place all files in adb and fastboot folder.
open command window here. ( where you places files from raw firmware and adb and fast boot tool folder)

1. fastboot devices ( see if it is recognized: else plug out usb and plugin again)
3. fastboot oem erase_token
4. fastboot oem start_partitioning
5. fastboot flash /tmp/partition.tbl partition.tbl
6. fastboot oem partition /tmp/partition.tbl
7. fastboot erase system
8. fastboot erase cache
9. fastboot erase data
10. fastboot erase APD
11. fastboot erase ADF
12. fastboot oem wipe splashscreen
13. fastboot oem stop_partitioning
14. fastboot flash fastboot droidboot_sign.bin
15. fastboot flash token PROD_BOM_Full.bin
16. fastboot flash ifwi ifwi-prod.bin
17. fastboot flash splashscreen splash_sign.bin
18. fastboot flash boot boot_sign.bin
19. fastboot flash recovery recovery_sign.bin
20. fastboot flash APD APD.img
21. fastboot flash system system.img
22. fastboot reboot

1. in xFSTK option menu change the flag override value to 0x80000807 not 0x800000807 ( don't forget to click gp value over ride)

2. while connecting to xFSTK attach usb to computer. hold power button for 20 seconds to make sure it power downs completely. then hold the power button down and click power button. wait till device vibrate or computer makes detection sound. leave power button but keep holding the volume button for few seconds

hope it will work fine. hit thanks if helped. if any further question please post.

Question is,, if I'm already in android mm,,will my custom recovery still be there? Or do i need to flash it again via adb? Thnks..

sukhwant717

Mar 17, 2015
Amritsar
Question is,, if I'm already in android mm,,will my custom recovery still be there? Or do i need to flash it again via adb? Thnks..
yes you need to flash if you want to install custom recovery . but flash it after updating to latest MM

if you are on unofficial MM. and you have custom recovery installed. don't try to install official MM. you will brick your device

jeffrey roy

Mar 28, 2015
Ahm question again bro..you mention in op install first to latest lollipop right,, how did you install it,, i mean via twrp or what?

---------- Post added at 03:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

Ahm question again bro..you mention in op install first to latest lollipop right,, how did you install it,, i mean via twrp or what?

Sorry for bunch of questions,, I'm just making sure bro..

sukhwant717

Mar 17, 2015
Amritsar

---------- Post added at 03:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

if yoy want to install latest MM. for that purpose you must install official asus recovery.. or if you want lolipop only then you can install it from twrp

jeffrey roy

Mar 28, 2015
if yoy want to install latest MM. for that purpose you must install official asus recovery.. or if you want lolipop only then you can install it from twrp

ok, got it, but where can i download official recovery? for firmware 2.20.40.194? thanks!!

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

ok, got it, but where can i download official recovery? for firmware 2.20.40.194? thanks!!

nah never mind found it!!!

sukhwant717

Mar 17, 2015
Amritsar

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

nah never mind found it!!!
just flash firmware with sideload i think it will replace recovery automatically. if not then you can flash manually afterwards

deepankdude

Mar 17, 2009
Delhi
Recovering to android L from back up

After a long time Asus funally launched MM for ZE551ML. but be very careful to install. Do not try to install it from custom recovery, do not install if you have rooted the phone. first return to stock rom. install latest lolipop build. then only update to MM.

any how for those who bricked their phone: use the following guide to unbrick ZE551ML

http://xdaforums.com/zenfone2/general/guide-brick-soft-hard-bricked-zenfone-2-t3284256

Read the above guide carefully. but even after that people are unable to unbrick. people who are unable to flash raw. perform step 2 of the above guide. after that do not use the asus flash tool. Try the following guide,

very first of all. rename .raw firmware file to .zip file and extract all files from it.. now place all files in adb and fastboot folder.
open command window here. ( where you places files from raw firmware and adb and fast boot tool folder)

3. fastboot oem erase_token
4. fastboot oem start_partitioning
5. fastboot flash /tmp/partition.tbl partition.tbl
6. fastboot oem partition /tmp/partition.tbl
7. fastboot erase system
8. fastboot erase cache
9. fastboot erase data
10. fastboot erase APD
11. fastboot erase ADF
12. fastboot oem wipe splashscreen
13. fastboot oem stop_partitioning
14. fastboot flash fastboot droidboot_sign.bin
15. fastboot flash token PROD_BOM_Full.bin
16. fastboot flash ifwi ifwi-prod.bin
17. fastboot flash splashscreen splash_sign.bin
18. fastboot flash boot boot_sign.bin
19. fastboot flash recovery recovery_sign.bin
20. fastboot flash APD APD.img
21. fastboot flash system system.img
22. fastboot reboot

2. while connecting to xFSTK attach usb to computer. hold power button for 20 seconds to make sure it power downs completely. then hold the volume down button and click power button. wait till device vibrate or computer makes detection sound. leave power button but keep holding the volume button for few seconds

hope it will work fine. hit thanks if helped. if any further question please post.

Before installing custom CM13 I had taken the backup of my device which ran android L.

I have just begun the operation to recover that. Hopefully it should not brick my phone :)

---------- Post added at 01:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 AM ----------

Before installing custom CM13 I had taken the backup of my device which ran android L.

I have just begun the operation to recover that. Hopefully it should not brick my phone :)

Good news people, my phone did not brick.

Did not need to move to android L via any method, just restored my back up :)

t00lshed

Jun 25, 2012
please help.
My phone showed in devices manager as Moorefield and xfstk dont show any errors after the "begin download" The process is completed without any problem. The phone restart and show me the 4 colours and then restart, not showing me the fastboot. I did many times the process of xfstk, but always is the same result.
what i did is update the zf2 through twrp.
pd: excuse my english.

agm2112

Mar 27, 2012
Rio de Janeiro
OnePlus Nord 2 5G
xFSTK seems to detect my phone and copy files, but at the end of the process it won ´t reboot. The program then makes 20 retries, and gives up. No error message, only "success"

16:00:43 - XFSTK-LOG--LogProgress
16:00:43 - XFSTK-LOG--GetOpCode
16:00:43 - XFSTK-LOG--ReadInAck
16:00:43 - XFSTK-LOG--GetAck - HLT$(4)
16:00:43 - XFSTK-LOG--FW: Firmware update completed...
16:00:43 - XFSTK-LOG--LogError
16:00:43 - XFSTK-STATUS--Error Code: 0 - Success
16:00:43 - XFSTK-LOG--void MerrifieldDownloader::do_abort()
16:00:43 - XFSTK-LOG--Abort
16:00:43 - XFSTK-LOG--C:/Users/agm21_000/Downloads/xFSTK_ZE551ML-sal358-amtech.vn/ifwi.bin size:4194468 bytes
16:00:43 - XFSTK-STATUS--PASS
16:00:43 - XFSTK-STATUS--Firmware download completed. Continuing to OS...
16:00:53 - XFSTK-STATUS--Reconnecting to device - Attempt #20
16:00:54 - XFSTK-STATUS--Timeout to detect the device, make sure to charge up your phone before flashing

Can someone help me, please ...

sukhwant717

Mar 17, 2015
Amritsar
xFSTK seems to detect my phone and copy files, but at the end of the process it won ´t reboot. The program then makes 20 retries, and gives up. No error message, only "success"

16:00:43 - XFSTK-LOG--GetOpCode
16:00:43 - XFSTK-LOG--ReadInAck
16:00:43 - XFSTK-LOG--GetAck - HLT$(4)
16:00:43 - XFSTK-LOG--FW: Firmware update completed...
16:00:43 - XFSTK-LOG--LogError
16:00:43 - XFSTK-STATUS--Error Code: 0 - Success
16:00:43 - XFSTK-LOG--void MerrifieldDownloader::do_abort()
16:00:43 - XFSTK-LOG--Abort
16:00:43 - XFSTK-LOG--C:/Users/agm21_000/Downloads/xFSTK_ZE551ML-sal358-amtech.vn/ifwi.bin size:4194468 bytes
16:00:43 - XFSTK-STATUS--PASS
16:00:43 - XFSTK-STATUS--Firmware download completed. Continuing to OS...
16:00:53 - XFSTK-STATUS--Reconnecting to device - Attempt #20
16:00:54 - XFSTK-STATUS--Timeout to detect the device, make sure to charge up your phone before flashing

Can someone help me, please ...
you can power on manually while device connected to it. have you changed device detection time out to 120. when it give three four tries and phone don't starts press power button and start in manually

ConnorMcLe0d

May 16, 2016
I have following errors on last cmds :

Code:
C:\adb>fastboot flash system system.img
target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 1650659389 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 1078366269 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 516055101 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 45117 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
erasing 'system'...
OKAY [  3.181s]
sending sparse 'system' (472927 KB)...
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 1650659389 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
OKAY [ 17.123s]
writing 'system'...
FAILED (remote: flash_cmds error!
)
finished. total time: 23.692s

Full process :
Code:
C:\adb>fastboot devices

0123456789ABCDEF        fastboot

C:\adb>fastboot oem erase_osip_header
(bootloader) cmd_oem!arg= erase_osip_header S

(bootloader) [0]erase_osip_header S

OKAY [  2.274s]
finished. total time: 2.275s

C:\adb>fastboot oem erase_token
(bootloader) cmd_oem!arg= erase_token S

(bootloader) [0]erase_token S

OKAY [  1.805s]
finished. total time: 1.807s

C:\adb>fastboot oem start_partitioning
(bootloader) cmd_oem!arg= start_partitioning S

(bootloader) [0]start_partitioning S

(bootloader) Start partitioning

OKAY [  2.255s]
finished. total time: 2.256s

C:\adb>fastboot flash /tmp/partition.tbl partition.tbl
sending '/tmp/partition.tbl' (2 KB)...
OKAY [  1.685s]
writing '/tmp/partition.tbl'...
OKAY [  2.253s]
finished. total time: 3.941s

C:\adb>fastboot oem partition /tmp/partition.tbl
(bootloader) cmd_oem!arg= partition /tmp/partition.tbl S

(bootloader) [0]partition S

(bootloader) [1]/tmp/partition.tbl S

OKAY [  2.404s]
finished. total time: 2.405s

C:\adb>fastboot erase system
******** Did you mean to fastboot format this partition?
erasing 'system'...
OKAY [  3.950s]
finished. total time: 3.951s

C:\adb>fastboot erase cache
erasing 'cache'...
OKAY [  2.441s]
finished. total time: 2.441s

C:\adb>fastboot erase data
erasing 'data'...
OKAY [ 18.099s]
finished. total time: 18.108s

C:\adb>fastboot erase APD
erasing 'APD'...
OKAY [  2.632s]
finished. total time: 2.633s

C:\adb>fastboot erase ADF
erasing 'ADF'...
OKAY [  2.373s]
finished. total time: 2.374s

C:\adb>fastboot oem wipe splashscreen
(bootloader) cmd_oem!arg= wipe splashscreen S

(bootloader) [0]wipe S

(bootloader) [1]splashscreen S

(bootloader) CMD 'wipe /splashscreen'...

(bootloader) erasing volume "/splashscreen", size=4194304...

(bootloader) wrote ret 194304, count 2,  "/dev/block/by-name/splashscreen
(bootloader) read back ret 194304, count 2 "/dev/block/by-name/splashscre
OKAY [  2.351s]
finished. total time: 2.353s

C:\adb>fastboot oem stop_partitioning
(bootloader) cmd_oem!arg= stop_partitioning S

(bootloader) [0]stop_partitioning S

(bootloader) Stop partitioning

OKAY [  2.261s]
finished. total time: 2.262s

C:\adb>fastboot flash fastboot droidboot_sign.bin
sending 'fastboot' (14824 KB)...
OKAY [  2.135s]
writing 'fastboot'...
OKAY [  2.556s]
finished. total time: 4.693s

C:\adb>fastboot flash token PROD_BOM_Full.bin
sending 'token' (3 KB)...
OKAY [  1.681s]
writing 'token'...
OKAY [  2.442s]
finished. total time: 4.124s

C:\adb>fastboot flash ifwi ifwi-prod.bin
sending 'ifwi' (4096 KB)...
OKAY [  1.804s]
writing 'ifwi'...
OKAY [  3.350s]
finished. total time: 5.158s

C:\adb>fastboot flash splashscreen splash_sign.bin
sending 'splashscreen' (270 KB)...
OKAY [  1.712s]
writing 'splashscreen'...
OKAY [  2.276s]
finished. total time: 3.991s

C:\adb>fastboot flash boot boot_sign.bin
sending 'boot' (11870 KB)...
OKAY [  2.058s]
writing 'boot'...
OKAY [  2.601s]
finished. total time: 4.662s

C:\adb>fastboot flash recovery recovery_sign.bin
sending 'recovery' (11882 KB)...
OKAY [  2.051s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [  2.586s]
finished. total time: 4.644s

C:\adb>fastboot flash APD APD.img
erasing 'APD'...
OKAY [  2.560s]
sending 'APD' (183963 KB)...
OKAY [  7.546s]
writing 'APD'...
OKAY [  7.787s]
finished. total time: 17.898s

C:\adb>fastboot flash system system.img
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 1651515453 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 1076383805 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 511402045 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 12349 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
erasing 'system'...
OKAY [  3.206s]
sending sparse 'system' (477812 KB)...
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 1651515453 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
OKAY [ 17.487s]
writing 'system'...
FAILED (remote: flash_cmds error!
)
finished. total time: 24.071s

C:\adb>

Can you help me ?

History :
Wanted to update to MM
- unrooted
- try recovery mode and install from asus support new firmware with adb, problem was that i had a custom recovery, i think this is what failed and i had black screen after the update.
- followed your tutorial
- stuck at asus boot logo after having the error i pasted above.

Edit : Seems the archive is corrupted, 7zip throw following error when i extract : Data error : system.img
Gonna try raw file from there : http://xdaforums.com/zenfone2/general/guide-fix-bricked-ze550ml-ze551ml-usb-t3405840
May be i had a problem while downloading the previous one, but i prefer to test another one.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For those who bricked their phone and facing any of the following issue (Black screen, vibrating only, no fastboot, unable to start, unable to install firmware etc.)
    If you got No Fastboot, No recovery, No Display, hard bricked your device.You must perform sequential steps indicated below, process will include many small steps. Plz make sure to perform all steps in same sequence and same manner as prescribed. Remove all drivers related to mobile you have installed earlier.

Step 1: Install the Intel Soc USB driver:

(if you are using windows 8 or 10. it is very important to disable driver signature enforcement. see the sections related to your windows below. (note: if you will reboot pc after disabling it will be enabled again)).

This Is the driver which help a computer connecte to your Zen2 IntelSoc mode. To install these driver you need to perform special steps if you are using windows 8 / 8.1, 10 . you need to disable driver signature enforcement before installing drivers. below i have mentioned steps needed to install driver for various versions of windows. but first download the needed driver from link given below.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwR0JGeFI2U3FUZ2c

Step 1.1 - how to install these drivers:

(Note: if you see the image like below attached thumbnail and you click install software any way 2 times means drivers are installed correctly. if you don't see image below while installation it means you need to disable driver signature enforcement)

If you're using Windows 7:

Right-click the file - iSocUSB-Driver-Setup-1.2.0 choose "Run as Administrator".

After This step, the driver installation is finished, continue to section 1.2 for connecting IntelSoc.

If you're using Windows 8 / 8.1 :
    On Keyboard press Windows + I to show charm bar in the right corner,
    click on the option setting. Choose "Change PC Settings" to enter the PC Settings.
    Choose the General tab and navigate to Advanced Startup section, continue click Restart now.
    This will reboot windows and allows you access to the advanced mode, now select the following options: Troubleshoot - -Startup Settings Advanced Options and then click the Restart button to restart the computer.

now you will see screen with various options numbered from 1. Find disable driver signature enforcement. And press the appropriate number on keyboard your pc will reboot

If you're using Windows 10 :

On Keyboard press Windows + I or click Start, select Settings.
    In The Settings window, select the Update & security.
    Continue Choose recovery and then advanced startup and click "Restart now".
    When The computer has access to the Advanced screen you will see screen with various options numbered from 1. Find disable driver signature enforcement. And press the appropriate number on keyboard your pc will reboot

1.2 Connect Zenfone with computer IntelSoc Mode:

Now you must complete this step before installing xfstk downloader. it helps to setup device's connection to PC

on your pc open device manager and find Intel Soc.
    Click to expand it. You will see a single option under here.
    Connect your phone to computer via USB cable,

now back to the phone, hold power button for 10 seconds to shutdown completely, then press simultaneously the key "power" + "volume down", until phone vibrates. Or computer makes detection sound, wait a few seconds. it will add an item immediately below intelSoC in device manager ?MOOREFIELD? new devices is connected successful.

Now Download intel android USB Driver and install normally from link below:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwSU5CdDNuUElEcUE

( only after installing the above driver with correct steps and connecting Soc then only install xFSTK).

Step: 2 Installing xfstk-downloader:

installation of xFSTK is very simple. download xFSTK setup from the link below. to install. right click the setup file and run as Administrator. click next next simply until you finish the installation process
    Here is the download link:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRweDdfMjlPOGEyTW8
    Now to Unbrick Process.

( only after installing the above driver with correct steps) go ahead to unbrick process.

Unbrick Process:

-The Necessary files:
    ZE551ML: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwV0QyWFRXbjMxaFk

ZE550ML: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwY1AyLUdKdkI3OWM

After downloading the necessary files extract it. it will contain 3 files:- dnx_fwr.bin, ifwi.bin, droidboot_dnx.img.POS_sign.bin.

-Run XFSTK Downloader as Administrator, click the second tab at bottom MRD A0 / B0 + MOOR A0 + CRC .

-Then Go to Options to change the value in the Value Section Override Flag GP 0x80000807. Tick GP value over ride, change device detection time out value to 220 and Click OK is complete initial preparation. (important note: never use wrong gp flag value it may complicate things)

+ First select Firmware files FW DnX: and IFWI: by clicking small three dots:- IFWI DNX 2 dnx_fwr.bin and ifwi.bin file.
    + Now select operating system : skip the first box, in second box select file droidboot_dnx.img.POS_sign.bin

now switch off your mobile by holding power button for long and connect to pc.

now click begin download on xFSTK. after that simply power on mobile.

-Here You may see error multiple times just try to power off device completely and turn on again. flash again and again Until you see success: FW+OS Download complete!

After that you may see a 4 color screen, just like some TV stations stop broadcasting on TV. You have to wait a little. after few seconds or minutes device will boot into bootloader. wait 10 to 15 min if no success, If not repeat the xFSTK process again. once you get fastboot screen on device go ahead to flash RAW firmware

Now there are two ways to flash RAW firmware one is Asus Flash Tool (AFT) other is without AFT with help of commands. Personally, i like command method as it is much more reliable than Asus Flash Tool. both methods are provided here under.

Flash Raw Firmware Using Asus Flash Tool:

Required Files:
    Asus Flash Tool: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwUDZqa0M4SWRObVE
    Raw Firmware File:

ZE550ML:https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwcTBDaXZOYUNBdHM

Download Asus Flash Tool and install. Run asus flash tool as administrator. And select the phone model. Then select the downloaded raw file and click start button to flash.
    Note: sometimes flash process may go endless. If this happens remove the usb from computer. Kill asus flashtool process from task manager. Now run tool again and flash.

Flashing Firmware Without AFT:

For this you need two things first is adb tool and second is raw firmware file both links are provided here under:

Fastboot and adb tool: ( includes setup as well as independent files ) latest version updated

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwMGVuT0cwRlp2UG8

Adb fastboot tool for 64 bit windows and for those who are facing issue to load zip files while adb sideload. or unable to load system.img

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwUkFRMl81b1pWa0k

Raw firmware ( you can use any earlier downloaded RAW firmware file)

ZE550ML: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwcTBDaXZOYUNBdHM

Now very first of all, rename .raw firmware file to .zip file and extract all files from it.. now place all files in adb and fastboot folder. ( Note: to extract raw file to avoid extension issue please give firmware file a complete new name ie: "user.zip" or anything you like

now in folder ( where you placed files from raw firmware and adb and fastboot tool folder) at empty place anywhere in folder hold Shift on computer keyboard and right click with mouse. Now click open command window here.

3. fastboot oem start_partitioning
    4. fastboot flash /tmp/partition.tbl partition.tbl
    5. fastboot oem partition /tmp/partition.tbl
    6. fastboot erase system
    7. fastboot erase cache
    8. fastboot erase data
    9. fastboot erase APD
    10. fastboot erase ADF
    11. fastboot oem wipe splashscreen
    12. fastboot oem stop_partitioning
    13. fastboot flash splashscreen splash_sign.bin
    14. fastboot flash token MFG_BOM_Full.bin
    15. fastboot flash ifwi ifwi-prod.bin
    16. fastboot flash boot boot_sign.bin
    17. fastboot flash recovery recovery_sign.bin
    18. fastboot flash fastboot droidboot_sign.bin
    19. fastboot flash APD APD.img
    20. fastboot flash system system.img
    21. fastboot reboot

Phone will successfully reboot into system. don't worry, first boot gonna take a little longer time. so have patience and watch some funny video till phone boots up.

Now you can install any firmware version via adb sideload. make sure to install latest lollipop firmware before flashing Marshmallow. follow the guide to sideload.

How to Install firmware using adb sideload:

First of all go to setting > About >Software information > tap build number 7 times to enable developer options. now under setting go to developer options and find USB debugging here. tick to enable USB debugging

Now go to Asus website and download the desired firmware and place that file in adb fastboot tool folder. rename the files to your desirable short name ( lets take an example rename it to User.zip). now move your mouse cursor in folder anywhere at some empty place, press and hold the keyboard shift Button now right click your mouse button and open command window here. in cmd type adb devices and press enter ( note it will prompt an option on mobile to authorize the computer for adb. Please authorize this computer. ) after this your device will be listed under adb devices with some number. if not type command once again, if no success this time please ensure you have installed usb driver and authorized computer.
    after adb recognize the device. run the following command

"adb reboot recovery"
    phone will reboot into recovery ( Note you can go to recovery manually as well. for doing so power down your device. after that press and hold volume + button and press power button as mobile shows asus logo leave power button but keep holding volume button. you will boot into fastboot mode use your volume up and down key to go to option recovery mode. now click power button. phone will reboot into recovery mode.

once phone reboot into recovery mode find option apply update from adb and press that option with the help of power button

now go to cmd and run the following command

" adb sideload user.zip " ( Note: User.zip is the firmware file you download from asus and placed in adb tool folder and renamed so can be replaced with the name you renamed your file)

now let the computer do its work sit back and relax. once file loaded successfully reboot device.
    ( note first boot always takes little longer time so don't panic have patience and wait till phone boots completely

if you have any question please post here. use hide button while replying to avoid unnecessary length of post..

If the guide was helpful to you and your device is alive again. Hope you can hit the Thanks button. it will not take much effort or long time. Thank you.

if you are stock. you can update without any issue. just keep in mind update to latest lolipop first.. ( Z00A-WW-2.20.40.194 ) then to MM

yes you need to flash if you want to install custom recovery . but flash it after updating to latest MM

if you are on unofficial MM. and you have custom recovery installed. don't try to install official MM. you will brick your device