General **What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

RoDnSuE

Jan 24, 2014
Norton, Virginia
I'm considering which 10" tablet to purchase. My current tablet is a Hisense Sero 7 Pro. It's getting "long in the tooth" and too hard to see for my eyes.

I will mostly use it for general web surfing, Social media, music, and streaming. (IE Netflix)

Requirements are..........

10" screen
Around $200
Quad core or better
Close to latest Android version as I can get
Manufacturer support (Upgrades/Firmware)
8GB storage (or better)
WIFI b/g/n
Headphone jack
Bluetooth
Front camera
USB
SD slot

Would be nice but not necessary;
Rear camera
GPS
Availability of custom ROMs

Any suggestions???
Thanks

Raresh T

Jul 14, 2014
I'm considering which 10" tablet to purchase. My current tablet is a Hisense Sero 7 Pro. It's getting "long in the tooth" and too hard to see for my eyes.

I will mostly use it for general web surfing, Social media, music, and streaming. (IE Netflix)

Requirements are..........

10" screen
Around $200
Quad core or better
Close to latest Android version as I can get
Manufacturer support (Upgrades/Firmware)
8GB storage (or better)
WIFI b/g/n
Headphone jack
Bluetooth
Front camera
USB
SD slot

Would be nice but not necessary;
Rear camera
GPS
Availability of custom ROMs

Any suggestions???
Thanks

For that price, I suggest Huawei lineup. Samsung would be better but no way to get those tablets just for 200$. I have an Huawei MediaPad M5 lite. The tablet is treble compatible. Therefore you can get unofficial latest Android version. Don't rely on huawei to get official updates. Mine is still stuck on Oreo. Can't wait for the warranty to expire.

Reactions: RoDnSuE

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
For that price, I suggest Huawei lineup. Samsung would be better but no way to get those tablets just for 200$. I have an Huawei MediaPad M5 lite. The tablet is treble compatible. Therefore you can get unofficial latest Android version. Don't rely on huawei to get official updates. Mine is still stuck on Oreo. Can't wait for the warranty to expire.
I would never suggest anything made by Huawei, their products are known security risks, that is why Huawei has been banned in many countries.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

Raresh T

Jul 14, 2014
I would never suggest anything made by Huawei, their products are known security risks, that is why Huawei has been banned in many countries.

Their products are known for security risks? Based on what? I ve searched the topic a bit, and a lot of allegations arent coming from well known tech newspapers. So far they ve been banned only in US. Europe and the rest of Asia seem to be fine for now with Huawei.

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
Their products are known for security risks? Based on what? I ve searched the topic a bit, and a lot of allegations arent coming from well known tech newspapers. So far they ve been banned only in US. Europe and the rest of Asia seem to be fine for now with Huawei.
China has a certain amount of financial control of most of Asia, of course they wouldn't be banned in Asia, of course they would be highly promoted in Asia, it serves their interest. But, the point is, there is a very good reason why they were banned, because China has Huawei build things into the hardware and software that definitely are a major risk to the privacy and security of any users or corporations that use them. They wouldn't be banned and considered a security risk for no reason at all. This also somewhat applies to Xiaomi devices as well. This really applies to all hardware/software coming out of China on some level, some more, some less.

Dig deeper than just reading articles on tech websites, you'll see.

Last edited:

Raresh T

Jul 14, 2014
China has a certain amount of financial control of most of Asia, of course they wouldn't be banned in Asia, of course they would be highly promoted in Asia, it serves their interest. But, the point is, there is a very good reason why they were banned, because China has Huawei build things into the hardware and software that definitely are a major risk to the privacy and security of any users or corporations that use them. They wouldn't be banned and considered a security risk for no reason at all. This also somewhat applies to Xiaomi devices as well. This really applies to all hardware/software coming out of China on some level, some more, some less.

Dig deeper than just reading articles on tech websites, you'll see.

You ve been more familiar with these android devices. Software can be rewritten, but can those hardware modifications that prove to be a major risk be changed?

iHibachi

Jul 17, 2020
Looking for a new gaming phone only

Hello,

I'm currently in the market for a gaming phone or at least a good phone with great gaming specs. This phone purpose will only be for gaming and nothing else, I don't care about the camera or anything like that. Majority of the time it will be on WiFI and if I need to it will be on a Canada network. This phone will not server as my main phone. My budget is $800 CAD. I was originally going to get a Red Magic 5G but from the looks of it, it seem to be a lot of problem on the system side.

Any recommends would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

POMATu

Aug 24, 2010
Vanilla open-source android phone

Hello,

I want to buy a genuine vanilla phone so I can have everything there opensourced including the drivers. Well I understand I can't have gsm/wifi modules firmware but at least I need drivers so I can edit them if I want.

I dont wanna have samsung or xiaomi or anything else with proprietary drivers and semi (or barely) working custom firmwares that are released lately. There should be some reference phone on which android devs test all their code. The phone that is progenitor to all the following vendor craps that come next after each android release.

Can you give me the name of that phone please? I thought its google nexus, but looks like I am mistaken

Last edited:

Raresh T

Jul 14, 2014
Hello,

I'm currently in the market for a gaming phone or at least a good phone with great gaming specs. This phone purpose will only be for gaming and nothing else, I don't care about the camera or anything like that. Majority of the time it will be on WiFI and if I need to it will be on a Canada network. This phone will not server as my main phone. My budget is $800 CAD. I was originally going to get a Red Magic 5G but from the looks of it, it seem to be a lot of problem on the system side.

Any recommends would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Xiaomi Black Shark 3

---------- Post added at 08:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 AM ----------

Hello,

I want to buy a genuine vanilla phone so I can have everything there opensourced including the drivers. Well I understand I can't have gsm/wifi modules firmware but at least I need drivers so I can edit them if I want.

I dont wanna have samsung or xiaomi or anything else with proprietary drivers and semi (or barely) working custom firmwares that are released lately. There should be some reference phone on which android devs test all their code. The phone that is progenitor to all the following vendor craps that come next after each android release.

Can you give me the name of that phone please? I thought its google nexus, but looks like I am mistaken

Get an essential ph1 or a pixel. These come with vanilla android. There isn't a progenitor phone.

Reactions: iHibachi

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
Hello,

Get an unlocked non carrier branded Pixel device, they come factory installed with Vanilla AOSP and have plenty of well built, well supported custom ROMs. All of the Pixel variants are decently priced, just do not get a US carrier branded model. These are pretty much the most supported Vanilla android devices and will continue to be well supported for years to come.

Howlin1

Feb 12, 2013
I am looking for a new phone in the $400-$500 CAD range. It would need to have two sim card slots and at least 64gb of internal space. I would like a really good camera on it

Last edited:

Raresh T

Jul 14, 2014
I am looking for a new phone in the $400-$500 CAD range. It would need to have two sim card slots and at least 64gb of internal space. I would like a really good camera on it

Mate, there are like hundreds or thousands of smartphones with those specs. Input those specs into GSMarena and pick your favorite.

POMATu

Aug 24, 2010
Get an unlocked non carrier branded Pixel device, they come factory installed with Vanilla AOSP and have plenty of well built, well supported custom ROMs. All of the Pixel variants are decently priced, just do not get a US carrier branded model. These are pretty much the most supported Vanilla android devices and will continue to be well supported for years to come.

Thanks, but do essential or pixel have driver sources opensourced? Or can I get any phone with driver sources so I can edit them.

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
Thanks, but do essential or pixel have driver sources opensourced? Or can I get any phone with driver sources so I can edit them.

Lol, if you know enough about android to modify android source code, you would not be asking that question because you would know that Pixel devices come factory installed with AOSP which is Google's Android Open Source Project, which is open sourced and that, yes, you can modify the AOSP source code.

But, since you asked this question, it is an indicator that you don't know as much as you should about android and should probably not attempt modifying android source code until you understand/know more about android.

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney

Lol, if you know enough about android to modify android source code, you would not be asking that question because you would know that Pixel devices come factory installed with AOSP which is Google's Android Open Source Project, which is open sourced and that, yes, you can modify the AOSP source code.

But, since you asked this question, it is an indicator that you don't know as much as you should about android and should probably not attempt modifying android source code until you understand/know more about android.
I think he is talking about the source code for things like the boot loader, modem, and each individual component, which normally comes as pre-compiled blobs (or flashed separate to the ROM for bootloader and modem). ie the proprietary stuff. Android is OS, but the devices for the components drivers are normally not.

Reactions: Droidriven

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
I think he is talking about the source code for things like the boot loader, modem, and each individual component, which normally comes as pre-compiled blobs (or flashed separate to the ROM for bootloader and modem). ie the proprietary stuff. Android is OS, but the devices for the components drivers are normally not.
I had a suspicion that is what they meant but didn't want to assume.

In this case, they probably won't find what they are looking for.

And, again, if they know about modifying android source code, they would know that what they are asking about pertains to proprietary/closed-source software code.

Last edited:

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
Well yes, but that is my problem, there are so many of them
Narrow your choices down based on the purposes you will be using the device for. Things like CPU, RAM and GPU will play a large part in whether the device can reasonably perform under the conditions that you will be using it. If you do a lot of multitasking or using a lot of social media, you need more RAM and a reasonably fast CPU, if you will not be doing a lot of multitasking or using a lot of social media, RAM may not be an issue for you. If you will be playing high quality hardware intensive games, you need a high performance CPU and GPU. If you use wired headphones/earbuds, you need a device that has a headphone jack. If you want to use expandable storage, you need a device that has an external sdcard slot. If you use OTG, you need a device that supports OTG. If you will be using it a lot for long hours, you need more battery capacity. If you plan on using the device for 3 or more years, you may need a device that has removable/replaceable battery. Etc..etc.

In other words, take into consideration, the other types of hardware/software that you might have a need or want to interface with or use along with your device at some point.

There are also other factors to consider, such as, whether the device is well supported by the manufacturer with updates or with the availability to download the stock firmware in case you need to flash/repair the device or just all around good customer support/relations. These factors are actually more important than price point and hardware specs. What is the point of getting a device that has awesome hardware at a cheap price if the manufacturer does not support the device at all or does not make the stock firmware/stock source available? Choose something from a manufacturer or brand that is known for good hardware, software and customer support, don't be suckered into buying a device just because it has awesome specs at a decent price. All of the cheaper hardware devices with high specs are usually not supported by their manufacturer because of several factors:

1) they know the devices are crap and will inevitably have some kind of hardware/software issues so they don't support the devices because they don't want to cut into their profit, they know they wouldn't be able to afford the costs of repairs/replacements.

2) some manufacturers of cheap hardware devices use components from whoever they can source them from, in some cases, this means that some models of devices they build can have the exact same motherboard but the components/chips on those motherboards may vary, even though it is "supposed" to be the "same" device. This means that there is not a "uniform" stock firmware for all of the motherboard/component variations, they may have several different firmware versions, one for each motherboard/component variant of the exact "same" model number/device, making it impossible to have "one" firmware that all owners of that "model" can use. They do not offer hardware/software support for these devices with the "variations" of firmware because they know that the average user could very easily think they were using the correct firmware for their model number/device but could actually be using the wrong firmware variant for their specific hardware/component variant of that "model" number. Depending on the difference in the components between each variant of that motherboard, using the wrong variant of firmware leads to a bricked device, therefore, they offer no support so they don't have to be responsible for anything that may go wrong.

3) in some cases, a company will have ownership/trade rights to a certain motherboard/component design along with ownership of the source code/stock firmware for that specific motherboard/component design and they will allow other companies the "use" of their hardware/software to make devices for themselves, but not ownership of their design. In these cases, these outside companies/manufacturers using that motherboard/component design will each be offering a device with their own name and they may even look different on the outside with slight variations on placement of external hardware buttons and external ports/jacks, but they will all essentially be the exact same device. These companies can use the design, but they can not offer hardware or software support because they do not own the hardware/software themselves.

As far as chips go, always remember this rule and you won't be sorry. Japanese chips tend to be better than Chinese chips due to Japanese/Japanese-owned companies using higher quality materials and higher manufacturing standards, in most cases. So, when choosing a device, it tends to be a good idea to stay away from devices that are mostly chinese chips, even those that may have a Japanese CPU with most of the other chips being chinese. Do that and you will be giving yourself the best chance for a product that works well and lasts.

Last edited:

fhcwcsy

Aug 21, 2017
Hi all, I'm looking for a new phone and I think I need some help.

Here are some of my considerations I can currently think of:

1. Not from a Chinese company, for security and privacy reasons.
2. Good roms and xda developer support. My last phone was Sony Xperia XZs, and there are few roms that I could try. On the contrary, the phone I got before that was Xperia SP and there are lots of roms support even multiple years after its release. So this time I want to avoid this problem. This is my main consideration (I know Pixel phones fit this the best but I want to see if there's any other options as mentioned below).
3. Not from Sony. After getting 2 from Sony I want to try a different taste.
4. Good if it can be a popular phone, so purchasing it and getting it fixed won't be a problem. I have considered Pixel but there's not many people using it here in Taiwan so I want to see if there's some other options.

After googling myself and narrowing down I believe Samsung offer some options that fit my specifications, but I'm not sure which models are the best and whether there are other companies satisfying my need. Currently the acceptable range of price is quite broad so I'll accept everything for now and pick one later. Can anyone provide some advice? thank you!

POMATu

Aug 24, 2010

Yes basically I was talking about that. There are 3 parts of it so the firmware inside the chips of the modules which is low level and flashable only once, then the driver that is always proprietary from what I seen and then the android OS which is opensource but it makes no sense until I control the drivers.
You do not install proprietary bs on your linux server, why do I wanna have these drivers on my AOSP rom? But without them phone wont work obviously.

I just hope such device exists, like even if not as concept, but like anybody leaked the sourcecode of those, so I can do edits to the drivers or check them, compile and flash them instead what I am offered (precompiled blobs).

Drioidviren, bro you are too arrogant I just wanna device name if such exist, no any lectures, thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm looking for a phone that has more than 3 main custom roms and good gps. (using Poco M3 Pro 5G rn)

Phones whose latest versions are supported by atleast 3+ official custom roms:​

More and more device manufacturers are delaying the release of their ROM builds to the open source community, leaving us with a handful of device manufacturers who are very generous - and for whom custom ROM builds are sprawling with official websites. Here are the 7 devices you can confidently buy, who support official custom ROM support - published after filtering 12 active official custom ROM websites -
    1. paranoid
    2. Lineage
    3. evolution
    4. pixel experience
    5. Calyx
    6. Graphene os
    7. Elixir
    8. crdroid
    9. bliss OS
    10. Ubuntu touch
    11. AlphaDroid
    12. Rising OSS

The 7 device series - that will surely provide 3+ official rom support in future:

1. Redmi note series - Note 12 /note 12 turbo/ 12r pro - supported by 8 official custom ROMS
    2. Xiaomi Mi series - Mi 12/12r - by 4 official custom ROMS; Mi 13/13 pro - 1 official custom ROM supported
    3. Poco X series - X5/X5 pro - 6 official custom roms
    4. Poco M series - M5 - 4 official custom roms; M6/M6 Pro - 2 official custom Roms
    5. Poco F series - F5 - 4 official custom roms
    6. Nothing Phone - Phone 2 - 3 custom roms ; Phone 1 - 6 official custom ROMS
    7. Pixel phones - 10+ active official custom ROMS available for latest pixel.

Detailed analysis of these 7 devices with their present state of custom ROM development, attached as a pdf

- to help you navigate and search the latest ROMS easier/ to keep/ edit/ update as a personal guide.

Obviously latest Oneplus, samsung device custom ROM development has stalled. Unofficial release only exist for them.
    Official ROM support for Oneplus stopped with Oneplus 9 series, for Samsung with s10 series. No more official custom ROMS for them at the moment. Unofficial ones do exist.

Based on your budgets and preferences, go for it.
    Cheers!
    dont forget AlphaDroid!!!!! and RisingTechOSS
    On it mate.. .will add it in the list!
    Pleased to hear mate.

Does it apply to redmi phones too?
    Yes, but only in China for now... Some people in other Asian countries have also seen these new restrictions but not everyone has. It'll be instated everywhere else eventually though...
    what exactly are the new BL unlock policies that make it dangerous? where can I read about it? cause I was thinking of buying a xiaomi phone so if the phone is not supported by xiaomi via updates anymore, then I could install a community ROM.
    For now the policies are only in China so if you see one you like, you're good to go but keep in mind you'll no longer receive updates to the stock ROM. The policies will be expanded globally though, it's been all but confirmed.

The policies themselves include gaining level 5 on Xiaomi's CN forums, only unlocking 3 devices/yr, and we waiting for certain times for your request to be manually approved...

See this:

Poco X6 Pro 512 / 12 GB vs Galaxy S23 FE 256 / 8 GB - which one should I buy?​

I want camera to be good but Poco X6 Pro hardware seems so superior

Would it worth to buy Galaxy S23 FE only for camera?
    You are comparing a 2024phone vs 2023 phone.. forget the hardware, in every functionality there is a slight edge for x6 pro

1. X6 2024 Mtk faster than 2023 snap Soc
    2. Better audio quality! (Ldac), better display, faster ram,lighter device
    3. Even camera! Poco's photo procsssing might lag, but its post photo AI features are betfer than samsung
    4. Updates - same -S23 wont get the 7 year updates
    5. Custom rom community - Official roms like paranoid etc. Arrivewithin 1year of release for poco.. and take 4years from samsung! (X5 vs s10)

Addthe hardware, as u told, poco x6 crushes it. Samsungusually never minds the hardware.. So thats fine!

The only savinggrace? If u love oneui/boxy feel of s23! Hyper os has bridged/refines the os gap too..
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)