[Q] Any news/rumors/info on the sim-free Galaxy Nexus 32GB?

Search This thread

zephiK

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 23, 2009
New York, NY
no SD slot = many lost sales esp the geek market which is always going to be the first onto this kind of thing.
I'm not actually fussed about the CPU, my tegra2 atrix is plenty fast and with gpu acceleration I can't imagine wanting it to be much faster, I mean cmon its not like I play crysis or crunch sql dbs on this thing lol

IT is all in all a very nice phone thou but 16gb fail, like other XDA addicts I'm rockin 16+32 and not going back to only 16

"Geek market?" it's a developer phone. What else can be more "geekier" than that to provide developers with the latest Android OS.

A phone isn't meant to be carrying all your movies. Sure, if you have SD slot + internal sdcard(16GB)... you can store everything. But honestly, are you going to use every single little piece of movie or song that is going to be on your phone? No.

The phone also supports USB OTG. You can use a USB flash drive if necessary.

wintermute000

Jul 13, 2010
hey buddy there are those of us who are nerds in multiple areas you know, like er, music maybe lol .

For the record, 16+32 lets me store maybe 1/4 of my music. No I don't use my phone for movies. I'm sure there are some people out there who do (and who want 720p rips too).

way to project your usage patterns onto everyone else.

what do they gain from not having SD card slot? that ease of use argument / confusing mount points etc.? Wait you just said its a dev phone. ??!?!? If you don't want your app to target external storage then just don't use that feature...

Last edited:

TareX

May 26, 2009
Halifax
filled up my 16 GB Galaxy Nexus after only 5 days. epic fail.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

TareX

May 26, 2009
Halifax
A phone isn't meant to be carrying all your movies. Sure, if you have SD slot + internal sdcard(16GB)... you can store everything. But honestly, are you going to use every single little piece of movie or song that is going to be on your phone? No.

What use is it having a 720p screen if you can't watch movies on it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

spacebar2011

Jan 3, 2011
Berlin
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
"Geek market?" it's a developer phone. What else can be more "geekier" than that to provide developers with the latest Android OS.

Not a very sensible argument.

It's not about movies. I carry most of my music in lossless format.
16GB just isn't enough for anything. That cloud argument doesn't good up either, data is limited and streaming quality still sucks.

Moreover, a dev phone makes all the more for removable storage as we do a lot of flashing and such and its always convenient to have the other files safe on a SD.

The filesystem argument is understood, but there's no excuse for not including an extSD for just media & general files.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using xda premium

Po0yAn

Mar 16, 2010
It's a pointless argument to convince someone if the 16GB is enough for a phone or should he go for models with higher storage capacity. it can be easily decided comparing ur last experience.I have a 16GB nexus s and I think doubling up my internal storage will make my life much easier specially considering the 720 video capturing feature of this phone.
any of you guys seen this:
http://www.expansys.com/google-galaxy-nexus-32gb-black-224348/#description

the7thson

Sep 20, 2008
Denver, CO
More delays.. According to expansys it'll arrive at the end of Feb AT THE EARLIEST. I'm in shock at how badly this has worked out, I should never have waited for this and just snatched up the 16gig.

Jul 29, 2009
Moscow
Hi All,

I placed a preorder for a 32Gb version at Computeruniverse.net. Today I got a message from them:

We are sorry to inform that the item you have ordered (listed below) can no longer be obtained from the manufacturer, contrary to the information originally provided to us by our suppliers. Unfortunately we have also been unable to locate this product form an alternative source.

We will therefore be unable to supply this item.

So it looks like 32Gb version is delayed, or maybe even cancelled...

carrot34

May 22, 2007
Whoa, that _sucks_. But thanks for the update, Corey.

So is that in then? No 32GB GSM Galaxy Nexus?

Does anyone think that replacing the Galaxy Nexus GSM's 16GB chip with with a 32GB one is at all a possibility? These guys used to do memory upgrades back in the old Windows Mobile PDA days. But looking at the Galaxy Nexus iFixit teardown, I can't even see where the 16GB memory chip is...

Alan

Corey L

Whoa, that _sucks_. But thanks for the update, Corey.

So is that in then? No 32GB GSM Galaxy Nexus?

Does anyone think that replacing the Galaxy Nexus GSM's 16GB chip with with a 32GB one is at all a possibility? These guys used to do memory upgrades back in the old Windows Mobile PDA days. But looking at the Galaxy Nexus iFixit teardown, I can't even see where the 16GB memory chip is...

Alan

We are just waiting on an official word, but that's what we have been told by multiple suppliers. Emails came in a few minutes apart.

the7thson

Sep 20, 2008
Denver, CO
We've just been notified this morning that Samsung have dropped the Galaxy Nexus 32GB from production. At this time it looks like they will not be releasing it. Not good news at all.

Corey
EXPANSYS-USA

Argh!!!!!! Makes me want to punch someone in the face :mad:

Appreciate the quick update though Corey, this is obviously not directed at you, but I'm so frustrated at having had to wait this long for nothing. Damn you Samsung!

spacebar2011

Jan 3, 2011
Berlin
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I highly suspect they're bringing a refreshed Galaxy Nexus with a better camera and a newer GPU/CPU. There is no other reason why they'd delay the 32GB version by such a long period and then drop it altogether. New Galaxy Nexus coming..

X

xemino

I highly suspect they're bringing a refreshed Galaxy Nexus with a better camera and a newer GPU/CPU. There is no other reason why they'd delay the 32GB version by such a long period and then drop it altogether. New Galaxy Nexus coming..

i want/need that refreshed version, even though i absolutely despise how they released the galaxy nexus.
i need a nexus device, hopefully they'll release it w/ 64gb.

but we can already be thankful, that they built a nexus phone, i'm pretty sure they've got all their resources on the galaxy s3. how dare we expect a 32gb gsm version and the original vehicle mount.

spacebar2011

Jan 3, 2011
Berlin
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
i want/need that refreshed version, even though i absolutely despise how they released the galaxy nexus.
i need a nexus device, hopefully they'll release it w/ 64gb.

but we can already be thankful, that they built a nexus phone, i'm pretty sure they've got all their resources on the galaxy s3. how dare we expect a 32gb gsm version and the original vehicle mount.

2nd what you said. I will trade in my 16 gig GNX in a heart beat for a refreshed one.. can only wait.

And don't underestimate Samsung's production capability. They've got huge lines and a massive in-house components advantage.

Sent from XDA Premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How much space are 1080p recorded videos alone going to take? Not counting all the HD content you would want to watch on that nice 720p screen, this is going to make for a seriously limited experience. This means for average sized high def movies (3-4 GB) you'd be able to carry around a whopping 2 to 3 movies!

And by the time an "upgraded" version comes in the form of a 32GB GSM Nexus, it will already be time for the SGS3. I just don't understand why Google would shoot themselves in the foot like that.
    I'm not going to buy it!

I still have a Nexus One with 32Gb SD and I love it. I didn't upgrade to Nexus S because SD was missing and patiently I was waiting for the Galaxy Nexus.
    My idea...few weeks ago? Wow, I'll have a wonderful new Nexus with 32Gb on board plus 32Gb SD = 64Gb total...YES!:)
    I'll have all my loved music, my movies, my games, my retro-games, my books, my pdf...you may don't need all those things, I understand but I am a tech nerd, I love technology, I love numbers...BIG numbers!! :D
    Then...sorry, no SD support....:eek:
    then...sorry, only 16Gb for the GSM model.:(
    then...LTE has 32Gb:eek:
    then...sorry Google, :mad: but I'll pass this time. Ask HTC next time, they know how to make us happy!
    A 32Gb GN GSM would be my choice and still there is no clear information on if this will ever exist.
    I'm struggling to get any official answers as I don't trust these sales sites that list a phone for preorder based off the marketing stuff/hype.
    I asked Samsung UK on their twitter feed on the launch day about the potential release of a 32Gb model they have chosen to ignore and not reply.
    I also asked google directly and again have just been ignored.

Still none the wiser!
    All in all if I was going to launch a new phone I certainly wouldn't follow the Galaxy Nexus approach which (volume issue not even being considered here) was extremely poor!

I wonder if Google or Samsung do actually want people to buy their phones? When considering the radio silence first off on the volume bug clearly not LOL

I'll stick with my Nexus S a while longer until this all blows over. :)
    I'll move on...

Sure it is a great phone but I feel Galaxy Nexus is not the joy I was waiting for, too many compromises to accept...the camera, the CPU, the 16Gb, the microSD absence. Think about it, if it was not for ICS on it, would have you bought it?

I'll keep my N1 having CM9 on it, sooner or later. Then, if Samsung will deliver the 32Gb version it will be ok, if not I'll get the quad-core HTC Edge or something similar...not a pure Google Experience but a solid HTC phone anyway.

I only hope next Nexus will be made by someone other than Samsung so to have again microSD support.