PS VITA has arrived, will i ever use my Xperia Play again?

Search This thread
My PS VITA arrived today and i cannot wait to get home to try it.

This got me thinking Will i ever use my Xplay again? Will i miss it if i got rid?

When i first got my Xplay (April 2011) i was over the moon, the potential this phone had was endless. Coming from a Palm Pre it had alot to live up against, (I Love webOS) I find myself with every phone wanting to play games, perfect fit i thought.

However nearly 12 months later and the games i still play the most are all on emulators, N64, PSX, etc all android games that are half decent end up being a let down (personal thoughts of course) GTA3, Dead Space Even (repetitive), all gameloft games!

Maybe i was sold on the hype and potential and not on the actual business plan Sony Erricson had for the Xplay, infact what is it for? causal gamers, emulator nuts? It annoys me that not all android games utilise the gamepad (this is one thing i expected to happen - Its only a litlte bit of code to add isn't it?)

The only real thing that has made me pick my xplay up in the last few months is the amount of support the devs have given it. Kernels, Custom Roms etc (I can do this on nearly any android phone)

I feel i can get rid of my Xplay now, i love android for its customisation options, maybe if there ever was a Xplay 2 they can get it right, make it a proper console like the vita which can make calls and i'll be happy.

My rant, debate, statement whatever i wrote is over.

However my question still remains Will i ever use my Xplay again? Will i miss it if i got rid? Wierdly...........

I think the answer would be yes i would miss it!

D.Spirit

Oct 10, 2011
Riyadh
wainty.com
My PS VITA arrived today and i cannot wait to get home to try it.

This got me thinking Will i ever use my Xplay again? Will i miss it if i got rid?

When i first got my Xplay (April 2011) i was over the moon, the potential this phone had was endless. Coming from a Palm Pre it had alot to live up against, (I Love webOS) I find myself with every phone wanting to play games, perfect fit i thought.

However nearly 12 months later and the games i still play the most are all on emulators, N64, PSX, etc all android games that are half decent end up being a let down (personal thoughts of course) GTA3, Dead Space Even (repetitive), all gameloft games!

Maybe i was sold on the hype and potential and not on the actual business plan Sony Erricson had for the Xplay, infact what is it for? causal gamers, emulator nuts? It annoys me that not all android games utilise the gamepad (this is one thing i expected to happen - Its only a litlte bit of code to add isn't it?)

The only real thing that has made me pick my xplay up in the last few months is the amount of support the devs have given it. Kernels, Custom Roms etc (I can do this on nearly any android phone)

I feel i can get rid of my Xplay now, i love android for its customisation options, maybe if there ever was a Xplay 2 they can get it right, make it a proper console like the vita which can make calls and i'll be happy.

My rant, debate, statement whatever i wrote is over.

However my question still remains Will i ever use my Xplay again? Will i miss it if i got rid? Wierdly...........

I think the answer would be yes i would miss it!

Congratulation on having PSVita

But I really don't care if you are gonna get rid of your xperia play or not.
redface.gif

sufy1000

Oct 22, 2011
I suggest you keep your Xperia Play cause end of the day it's a phone and you can make calls with it AND just keep it because you have got emulators on it.

_terror_

Jul 19, 2011
When Gameboy Advance came, did you miss your Gameboy color? ;)
I've ordered a HTC chacha, because I miss the keyboard, and I feel that's petter then a gamepad, even if the chacha is not as powerful as the play.

I'm happy with my Vita and my chacha :)
My xperia play is in the box, ready to sell.

The Alpha Gamer

May 7, 2011
Well you say what you pay the most on it is emulators, so yeah you'll still use it, you're not getting emulators until the Vita gets hacked, and even then the Xperia Play has more good games. At the minute the Vita isn't a portable games console, it's a portable Uncharted console.

Reactions: sufy1000

bornotty

Jan 11, 2008
Bombay
Well I can understand your view. Even I've stopped gaming on my XPlay since gameloft slowed down on releasing new games for android.

And myself I'm planning to get the new Xperia S after few month's of its release or wait till the dev section in XDA gets little populated with custom kernels/roms etc. And I'm not sure about carrying another device(Vita) in my pocket except my phone.

But by next year hopefully we see an XPlay 2 with better specs and much better support but I highly doubt Sony will do that since it will create competition against its own product which is the new Vita.

But on the other hand I have fingers crossed for HTC to release a phone with gamepad. Why so? Because latest rumor has that some new HTC devices will get PS certified from Sony. Which means there are chances of another phone with gamepad or maybe it will simply be like a "PS certified" device like Xperia S. Which makes no sense at all.

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk

Rogue Leader

Apr 4, 2011
New York
Well I can understand your view. Even I've stopped gaming on my XPlay since gameloft slowed down on releasing new games for android.

And myself I'm planning to get the new Xperia S after few month's of its release or wait till the dev section in XDA gets little populated with custom kernels/roms etc. And I'm not sure about carrying another device(Vita) in my pocket except my phone.

But by next year hopefully we see an XPlay 2 with better specs and much better support but I highly doubt Sony will do that since it will create competition against its own product which is the new Vita.

But on the other hand I have fingers crossed for HTC to release a phone with gamepad. Why so? Because latest rumor has that some new HTC devices will get PS certified from Sony. Which means there are chances of another phone with gamepad or maybe it will simply be like a "PS certified" device like Xperia S. Which makes no sense at all.

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk

I've cut back on my PLAY time as well, mainly because I've beaten every game I have (that I wanted to beat, excluding Splinter Cell which just sucks), and the only ones I don't have that I'd like to play are Shadowgun, MC3, and BackStab. I'm waiting for a sale to buy them as I refuse to pay full price of a GL game when they hand them out for a buck every few months.

Waiting for or hoping for some more games with depth, otherwise I may get a Vita as well.

As for HTC I don't see them making a niche phone like this, and in fact I think its entirely possible we will never see an Xperia PLAY 2, as they 1 wont want to compete with the Vita, and 2 mucked it up the first time around.

EDIT: If I have to wait for ICS on the PLAY to get the Playstation Suite I may as well get a Vita and ditch this phone at my next upgrade, because Verizon hasn't even given us 2.3.4 yet, gonna be a cold day before we get ICS.

swebosdev

Aug 30, 2011
Get a vita, play it in public, never get laid again.

Pretty funny though you guys got to go out and replace this with 2 seperate high end products.

I've cut back on my PLAY time as well, mainly because I've beaten every game I have (that I wanted to beat, excluding Splinter Cell which just sucks), and the only ones I don't have that I'd like to play are Shadowgun, MC3, and BackStab. I'm waiting for a sale to buy them as I refuse to pay full price of a GL game when they hand them out for a buck every few months.

Waiting for or hoping for some more games with depth, otherwise I may get a Vita as well.

As for HTC I don't see them making a niche phone like this, and in fact I think its entirely possible we will never see an Xperia PLAY 2, as they 1 wont want to compete with the Vita, and 2 mucked it up the first time around.

EDIT: If I have to wait for ICS on the PLAY to get the Playstation Suite I may as well get a Vita and ditch this phone at my next upgrade, because Verizon hasn't even given us 2.3.4 yet, gonna be a cold day before we get ICS.

Verizon does suck, doubtful we will ever get ICS. Also didnt I read somewhere in the begining of Dec that they were traning their employees for the Xperia PLAY LTE? Guess that never panned out. I really like my PLAY but it seems like all the games worth playing are old, and pretty much all dave 2 of the GameLoft games are buggy pieces of crap. The PS Vita has a really nice display but I will never buy a handheld game console anymore, and no its not because I want to get laid I am already married and can get that whenever she wants......because if its me I end up on a milk carton. :rolleyes:

hairdewx

Feb 28, 2009
The second that I found out that the VITA was not a mobile device I lost interest...

I'm not gonna carry around multiple devices.

And it's true, seeing a PSP/3DS/VITA being played in public makes the person look... juvenile... Of course playing a game on a cell phone doesn't have the same effect. Double standard, I guess.

Growling Clover

Sep 2, 2011
The second that I found out that the VITA was not a mobile device I lost interest...

And it's true, seeing a PSP/3DS/VITA being played in public makes the person look... juvenile... Of course playing a game on a cell phone doesn't have the same effect. Double standard, I guess.

FACT! I had a PSP for 5 years and was single. Sold it, got an xplay and got laid. It's more than just a phone ;-)

brought to you by the XDA app on my badass Android toy

Reactions: blakki73

Rogue Leader

Apr 4, 2011
New York

Thats my problem... I just can't see myself carrying it. The reason I love the Xperia PLAY is its in my pocket all the time.

When I was a kid I had a Sega Game Gear. I barely used it and ended up selling it for two reasons, 1. was that I had very little money, so if I was gonna spend money on games I was gonna spend it on Genesis games since 2. it was too bulky to carry aground (and the Vita is not much better) meaning aside from long Car rides I rarely carried it around, meaning I played it at home, and when I'm home I'd rather play a game on a TV.

sufy1000

Oct 22, 2011
Thats my problem... I just can't see myself carrying it. The reason I love the Xperia PLAY is its in my pocket all the time.

When I was a kid I had a Sega Game Gear. I barely used it and ended up selling it for two reasons, 1. was that I had very little money, so if I was gonna spend money on games I was gonna spend it on Genesis games since 2. it was too bulky to carry aground (and the Vita is not much better) meaning aside from long Car rides I rarely carried it around, meaning I played it at home, and when I'm home I'd rather play a game on a TV.

I agree. PS Vita is NOT a phone. Okay it's got better graphics and all that but then the games aspect comes into play. You have to pay £30 for every game. I'd rather play a game on PS3 on a 40'' 3D TV than play it on the Vita's screen.

To be honest i'm happy with my Xperia Play even though some people may not like it. I'm happy with £3 games I spend on it and happy to play them.

As I said I'd rather play games on the PS3 with a big screen.

The Vita is just for people who want to show off

Reactions: Alex Slane

speedyink

Sep 10, 2010
What the hell is with the talk that dedicated handheld gaming consoles look stupid? I play them in public, and I have no issues getting laid. I'd chalk that one to looks. I play a 3ds as well as my xplay. Its the same ****, who cares.

Sent from my R800i using XDA App

FTAiii

May 10, 2011
Singapore
I've had the Vita since 30 dec [Japanese import] and I can tell you that the only device I carry around is my Xperia Play. Sony has gotten so paranoid over copyright infringement that the Vita is compeltely locked down even on purchases I have already made on the Playstation Network. My existing mini's and PS1 games do not transfer / the content manager is a pain to use, I have to reformat video to get it on the device. Yeah, Unchartered is pretty, but my Vita is collecting dust because it is too frustrating to use and too bulky to carry around. In fact, I rushed to get one because I think sony will discontinue the Vita after a failed US and European release.

Why would Sony put out an Android "playstation phone" and then Vita shortly after - they are hedging their bets, If the Vita fails miserably [which it should in this new gaming environment] then I bet we get an XPeria PLay 2 shortly after.

on the other topic, i'm married which means I rarely get laid

All interesting points!

I got a vita so when my girlfriend is watching soaps and stuff i get to play proper games on the sofa, portbale consoles will never replace the home console, the experience is totally different, e.g i play fifa on my vita same game more or less as my xbox 360 but on a portable system seems different still brilliant and way better than the xplsy version, i will still play the home console version over vita anytime big screen and surround sound!

vita is great for my purpose, sofa, work, long trips, cant take my 360 or ps3!

my play just didnt give me yhe same satisfaction, apart from the emulators i mentioned in my op.

and fir ppl saying 40 quid is too much, i agree but these are way better quality games then the 3 quid ones on phones.

i think its time for game companys to start releasing double play, triple plays like blu ray movies.

by one game for 40quid, play it on ya home, portable console and ya phone

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well you say what you pay the most on it is emulators, so yeah you'll still use it, you're not getting emulators until the Vita gets hacked, and even then the Xperia Play has more good games. At the minute the Vita isn't a portable games console, it's a portable Uncharted console.

FACT! I had a PSP for 5 years and was single. Sold it, got an xplay and got laid. It's more than just a phone ;-)

brought to you by the XDA app on my badass Android toy

I agree. PS Vita is NOT a phone. Okay it's got better graphics and all that but then the games aspect comes into play. You have to pay £30 for every game. I'd rather play a game on PS3 on a 40'' 3D TV than play it on the Vita's screen.

To be honest i'm happy with my Xperia Play even though some people may not like it. I'm happy with £3 games I spend on it and happy to play them.

As I said I'd rather play games on the PS3 with a big screen.

The Vita is just for people who want to show off
    Now that I am older a handheld just isn't for me but the Play is perfect because it's a gaming device and a smartphone all in one.
    If Vita will get Onlive in the future,which is quite possible,then Vita is the best way to use Onlive on a handheld.

But my phone fits in my pocket....
    Lol J/k