[GAME][2.3+] UnnyHog announced iCube

Search This thread

UnnyHog

Sep 26, 2013
Hello,

We are small startup, and we've made our first Android game : iCube.
Please take a look at it. It would be great if you can share with us your experience.

Forum_ICube1.jpg

iCube is a 3 dimensional puzzle game. I believe that some of you had this toy in the childhood.
Now it's time to play it again, but on your mobile device.

Forum_ICube2.jpg

Forum_ICube3.jpg

The game is free, and this is the link to it at GooglePlay
This is the game Home Page
Here is the direct link to download the APK

Last edited:

crnkoj

Feb 16, 2011
We need them for different analytics, like Flurry.

Well, wanted to try it to help you with feedback and testing, but I just don't feel like giving those permission out for analysis for an app/game which really shouldn't have such permission. I wish you good luck with the app.

benkxda

Jan 28, 2012
It looks really interesting game but I agree that the permissions are too many.
I'm sorry! :(

This is not very often, that so many people are concerned about permissions, but of course, a lot of unnecessary permissions. On the other side, you get a free game.

However, as many people on XDA heard about Privacy Guard, XPrivacy and other opportunities and if there are to much requested permissions for you, set up one of those.

abe5

Jun 4, 2011
This is not very often, that so many people are concerned about permissions, but of course, a lot of unnecessary permissions. On the other side, you get a free game.

However, as many people on XDA heard about Privacy Guard, XPrivacy and other opportunities and if there are to much requested permissions for you, set up one of those.

Indeed, indeed. One could also make use of a nice firewall to block all unwanted network access. :)

Reactions: benkxda

bliblabl

Jul 1, 2012
Yes, I agree with the unnecessary permissions, too. Sure, you can use tools to restrict everything. But only geeks are able to do this.

Different analytics? You need the location of the phone for analysing your game? Oh, this is ridiculous.

So yes, good luck with the game. I will not install it with these permissions.

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7100 mit Tapatalk 4

Halifaxlad

Dec 20, 2008
I've downloaded it will play in a bit when my phone is charged, I'm not bothered about the permissions that it requires as I have Privacy Guard on my phone, and no I'm not a geek like the other post suggests you have to be to be able to have something like that on your phone

user602

May 8, 2007
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Nexus 7
Thanks for sharing. Fun game, but I agree with the previous comments about excessive permissions... Although they can be blocked as stated by others, a simple game shouldn't request that much access to begin with... Uninstalled. Look forward to trying it again in the future when/if most of those are removed.

UnnyHog

Sep 26, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for your feedback. You have nothing to be afraid of.
We are here to make good games, but not to rune something.

As the game is free, we still need to earn somehow. Beside of the game we have integrated : Flurry analytics, AdMob ads and TapJoy self advertising. Almost all of the permissions are coming form TapJoy.
We are asking your location to improve our ads, and to know where people play our game.

Btw, this is not our first game. We have the same game released for iPhone two years ago. You can check our website, to see that we are working for more then two years : www.unnyhog.com

nikwen

Feb 1, 2013
Berlin, Germany
www.nikwen.de
I guess that nobody would have complained if there had not been one person who pointed everybody to it.
Well, just have a look at the millions of people who install Gameloft games. (I guess you've got one, too.) They require a lot of permissions as well. Is anybody complaining about that?

EDIT: That doesn't mean that I am not concerned about my privacy. I am. That's why I don't use any Gameloft apps.

Last edited:

redglyph

Oct 28, 2012
Nice, overall it's an interesting game, a few remarks though.

Firstly I didn't see why this game needs to know the phone identity & status (one can imagine it's to freeze when there's a phone call?), and the precise GPS location. This has been mostly answered here, but the designer should at least explain why in the Google Playstore to avoid further users asking the same question.

Then there's the ads part, is there a paying version on the way? How does one get rid of this?

Finally, on the design itself, a few enhancements could be made:
- the rotation should be kept on Z axis, otherwise it's most inconvenient to handle (many 3D designs have this flaw, I know, but still...); maybe a nice plus would be to be able to rotate with a multi-touch rotation gesture
- the "menu" is not clear, and there is no explanation feedback on actions to confirm what the user thinks he's doing which makes it very confusing. For example, what is the circle with a dot inside? Why is the clock like a button since there's no interaction with it? This last once could be used to freeze the time, giving room for an extra control (to change options for example).

Keep up the good work!

bliblabl

Jul 1, 2012
I'm regarding the permissions of every app before I install it. I'm from Germany, I love freedom und privacy. And nevertheless, I would prefer to pay an amount of real money, than to pay with my privacy.

Again, to show ads you don't need to know, where I am in the world with the GPS!!

But, from now on, I will be more silent.

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7100 mit Tapatalk 4

Reactions: wbedard and crnkoj

benkxda

Jan 28, 2012
Hello,

As the game is free, we still need to earn somehow. Beside of the game we have integrated : Flurry analytics, AdMob ads and TapJoy self advertising. Almost all of the permissions are coming form TapJoy.
We are asking your location to improve our ads, and to know where people play our game.

Btw, this is not our first game. We have the same game released for iPhone two years ago. You can check our website, to see that we are working for more then two years : www.unnyhog.com

Thanks for clarifying a bit. Best way to deal with those permissions in my opinion is, you explain in detail for what every single permission is needed. And this declaration should be added to the OP, noticeable for everyone who's interested in this game.
It is completely normal, that iOS users have no problems with any permissions as they don't get any information about what the app is requesting (afaik).

I guess that nobody would have complained if there had not been one person who pointed everybody to it.
Well, just have a look at the millions of people who install Gameloft games. (I guess you've got one, too.) They require a lot of permissions as well. Is anybody complaining about that?

I also think, the one post started the complains. But honestly, we need a good balance between permissions and complains. A free game is usually bound with an ad system. If the developer describes why he needs those permissions (in this case essentially to keep the game free), everybody will see, those permissions keep the game free of charge.

Users, stay alerted about permission requests, but think about what you get for.
Developers, explain exactly why you are requesting permissions.

nikwen

Feb 1, 2013
Berlin, Germany
www.nikwen.de
I also think, the one post started the complains. But honestly, we need a good balance between permissions and complains. A free game is usually bound with an ad system. If the developer describes why he needs those permissions (in this case essentially to keep the game free), everybody will see, those permissions keep the game free of charge.

Users, stay alerted about permission requests, but think about what you get for.

The point is that if you decide to use an ad system like admob, you do have to add these permissions. You cannot say "I'll leave GPS out" or your app will crash.

Reactions: benkxda

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

We are small startup, and we've made our first Android game : iCube.
    Please take a look at it. It would be great if you can share with us your experience.

Forum_ICube1.jpg

iCube is a 3 dimensional puzzle game. I believe that some of you had this toy in the childhood.
    Now it's time to play it again, but on your mobile device.

Forum_ICube2.jpg

Forum_ICube3.jpg

The game is free, and this is the link to it at GooglePlay
    This is the game Home Page
    Here is the direct link to download the APK
    May I ask why so many permissions? Phone identity, precise location full network access?
    It looks really interesting game but I agree that the permissions are too many.
    I'm sorry! :(

Hello,

Thanks for clarifying a bit. Best way to deal with those permissions in my opinion is, you explain in detail for what every single permission is needed. And this declaration should be added to the OP, noticeable for everyone who's interested in this game.
    It is completely normal, that iOS users have no problems with any permissions as they don't get any information about what the app is requesting (afaik).

May I ask why so many permissions? Phone identity, precise location full network access?

To steal your identity and sms your girlfriend links to all the websites you browse