How to root the Zte n9520 aka ZTE Boost Max

Search This thread

damaso1986

Feb 19, 2014
Note: So far there is no custom recovery for this device yet as soon as one is available i will update my post and write a guide for you to follow to install. If you have any question feel free to Private message me or email me at damasodiaz86@live.com. With this being said lets start the guide on rooting the New boost max.

Step 1. We want to make sure that you turn on USB Debug on your phone under development settings in settings tab.

Step 2. Plug in your device nd select install ZTE drivers on your phone.

Step 3. If your pc doesnt recognize the phone click here for zte driver

support.zte.com.cn/support/%28S%28ct55nzeou0okp055palpbk45%29%29/news/NewsDetail.aspx?newsId=1000442

(if it doesnt allow you to click on it then copy and paste it on your browser)

Step 4. Once you have all drivers install and you pc recognizes your phone go on your browser and download an app call kingo. The app can be found here

kingoapp.com

Step 5. Once you download and install kingo app open u kingo and give it a sec to recognize the phone. Once it does select root and let the pc do its thing. Once the phone is rooted it will restart and ask you for superuser permissions, at this point select grant and your phone will be rooted. Open Superuser pp and install binaries onto the phone once you do that i suggest you go onto the play store and update the superuser app.

This is it now your new zte boost max is rooted and we are just waiting on a custom recovery to arise or i will work on one and upload it here on this post for you. I do have a spare zte max phone i can work on to try everything i can on it so dont worry hopefully real soon i will have it. Now i worked mostly on Samsung phones Unlocking and flashing repairing imeis so building custom recovery is quite new for me but i promise to work hard. Thanks And enjoy And sorry for some reason the xda is not letting me post url links since im a new member so until i become n old member i cant write www in front of any links. I know its stupid lol

Last edited:

Playdoe

Nov 13, 2011
Hey there..thanks for this post. I actually went on the new devices forum and requested that they add the device. It's been a good phone and responds well.

Sent from my N9520 using XDA Premium HD app

Reactions: damaso1986

damaso1986

Feb 19, 2014
Custom Recovery By Philz

Well I didn't get to create the custom recovery however thanks to a friend I was able to flash a recovery that did work on the device. I am uploading the recovery there is a set of instructin tat is required to flash it but I found a better faster way that you can even do it without a pc really. So first you are going to want to download the recovery I uploaded. Once you have it downloaded you are going to extract the file to the root of your sd card or your phone (I think I had it on both just incase it didn't work on one) then after you have it on your phone you are going to take off your computer and open up play store and search for an app called FLASHIFY and install it on your phone. When you open flashify its going to ask you to grant permission grant it. Then agree with disclaimer. Okay once in the main app you will see boot image and recovery image and zip file. You are going to click on recovery image a pop up will ask choose a file download twrp download cwm cancel you are going to click on choose file. Scroll down til you see sdcard click on that. Now when you scroll down you should see the recovery img you copied in there you will know its the image because right next to it there will be a circle with the lighting on it. you are going to click on that. Its going to ask you if you want to flash that file you are going to select yup! and once it done it will ask you if you want to reboot or continue select reboot now it will reboot into your new recovery. Thanks a lot George for finding the recovery for me. Im still going to work on a twrp I think its more stable and I never use philz recovery but its really nice.

ps Well for some reason the file is not uploading so im am going to see if I can copy the link on here it migt not let me let see

androidforums.com/iconic-phablet-all-things-root/832497-recovery-philz-touch-6-19-2-need-testers.html

Reactions: ajenkins991

wc878

Dec 5, 2010
boost max will tether 3g but not 4g

I have the phone rooted with no problems, but i have installed wi fi for rooted phones and barnacle and when use either one of those tether programs, they only tether in 3g but will not tether in 4g. i have verified that 4g does work directly from the phone when i run the speed test but when i run the same speed test from my tether device, it only test in 3g. any suggestions?

ajenkins991

Nov 9, 2011
Radcliff
Follow the tutorial that is a few posts back in this tired.

Sent from my N9520 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

Well I didn't get to create the custom recovery however thanks to a friend I was able to flash a recovery that did work on the device. I am uploading the recovery there is a set of instructin tat is required to flash it but I found a better faster way that you can even do it without a pc really. So first you are going to want to download the recovery I uploaded. Once you have it downloaded you are going to extract the file to the root of your sd card or your phone (I think I had it on both just incase it didn't work on one) then after you have it on your phone you are going to take off your computer and open up play store and search for an app called FLASHIFY and install it on your phone. When you open flashify its going to ask you to grant permission grant it. Then agree with disclaimer. Okay once in the main app you will see boot image and recovery image and zip file. You are going to click on recovery image a pop up will ask choose a file download twrp download cwm cancel you are going to click on choose file. Scroll down til you see sdcard click on that. Now when you scroll down you should see the recovery img you copied in there you will know its the image because right next to it there will be a circle with the lighting on it. you are going to click on that. Its going to ask you if you want to flash that file you are going to select yup! and once it done it will ask you if you want to reboot or continue select reboot now it will reboot into your new recovery. Thanks a lot George for finding the recovery for me. Im still going to work on a twrp I think its more stable and I never use philz recovery but its really nice.

ps Well for some reason the file is not uploading so im am going to see if I can copy the link on here it migt not let me let see

androidforums.com/iconic-phablet-all-things-root/832497-recovery-philz-touch-6-19-2-need-testers.html

Worked perfectly!

wc878

Dec 5, 2010
phone will only tether 3g but not 4g

I have the phone rooted with no problems, but i have installed wi fi for rooted phones and barnacle and when use either one of those tether programs, they only tether in 3g but will not tether in 4g. i have verified that 4g does work directly from the phone when i run the speed test but when i run the same speed test from my tether device, it only test in 3g. any suggestions?

Reactions: keala32

Eye1der

Jun 19, 2014
If I root my Max will lose Test Msgs.

I want to root my boost max but i want to know if I do will it erase all the text msgs I have
already saved. Thank you!

androidianT

Jul 8, 2014
need help kingo won't recognize my device installed drivers from phone it didnt work then tried the one from the site you pasted still didn't recognize my phone

Romeoh10

Jul 18, 2014
Nope....

Note: So far there is no custom recovery for this device yet as soon as one is available i will update my post and write a guide for you to follow to install. If you have any question feel free to Private message me or email me at damasodiaz86@live.com. With this being said lets start the guide on rooting the New boost max.

Step 1. We want to make sure that you turn on USB Debug on your phone under development settings in settings tab.

support.zte.com.cn/support/%28S%28ct55nzeou0okp055palpbk45%29%29/news/NewsDetail.aspx?newsId=1000442

Step 4. Once you have all drivers install and you pc recognizes your phone go on your browser and download an app call kingo. The app can be found here

kingoapp.com

Step 5. Once you download and install kingo app open u kingo and give it a sec to recognize the phone. Once it does select root and let the pc do its thing. Once the phone is rooted it will restart and ask you for superuser permissions, at this point select grant and your phone will be rooted. Open Superuser pp and install binaries onto the phone once you do that i suggest you go onto the play store and update the superuser app.

This is it now your new zte boost max is rooted and we are just waiting on a custom recovery to arise or i will work on one and upload it here on this post for you. I do have a spare zte max phone i can work on to try everything i can on it so dont worry hopefully real soon i will have it. Now i worked mostly on Samsung phones Unlocking and flashing repairing imeis so building custom recovery is quite new for me but i promise to work hard. Thanks And enjoy And sorry for some reason the xda is not letting me post url links since im a new member so until i become n old member i cant write www in front of any links. I know its stupid lol

Hmmmm. I've tried to ROOt my ZTE MAX 4 times I've followed these steps precisely as instructed..
first 3 times I received error : ROOT Faile Conecctionunstabli, last time I received ROOT Failed Script Error...
I'm using a PC with Windows 7, New phone, pc auto read phone and downloaded drivers..so whts the problem???

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

kingoapp.com

Follow the tutorial that is a few posts back in this tired.

Sent from my N9520 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

Worked perfectly!
    thanks so much bro its good to see someones working on this
    Hey there..thanks for this post. I actually went on the new devices forum and requested that they add the device. It's been a good phone and responds well.

Sent from my N9520 using XDA Premium HD app
    nope

tried iroot also. Still won't root. I read on the review site that this phone can't be rooted.