Successful verizon bootloader downgrade from locked firmware

Search This thread

LupineDream

Sep 6, 2010
Kersey
READ ON!

I HAVE SUCCESSFULLY BYPASSED VERIZON/ATT OF4 SECURITY ON THE OF4 BUILD for the SM-S975L and have succeeded in downgrading the bootloader by hex editing. I reach the Samsung Galaxy S4 logo. This is quite the accomplishment for me. :)
However, I need help with unpacking the system image and reworking it to an ATT-based ROM. Knox flat out tells me "No Verizon." when I try the flash. Because you know, aboot knox and all...

Merely hex edit the version number inside your custom boot image to match the system currently installed as you flash to stock. Search for any build number strings inside mbm files and edit accordingly. My documentation is below. Screw you verizon! I just saved myself $200.

Files to keep in Odin tar with matching build number name to pass check:

Changed
S975LUDUANB1_S975LTFNANB1_S975LUDUANB1_HOME.tar.md5
to
S975LUDUAOF4_S975LTFNAOF4_S975LUDUAOF4_HOME.tar

Hex edited version numbers into:

aboot.mpm
rpm.mbm
sbl1.mbm
sbl2.mbm
tz.mbm
boot.img

Guide update: Bootloader error "No Verizon. I suppose thats the CSC?"

deleted other files from that archive.

Made new archive name of:

S975LUDUANB1_S975LTFNANB1_S975LUDUANB1_HOME.tar

Placed system files in it. Rebooted and flashed. WORKED!

It will flash in Odin 3.07. Then reboot into download mode and flash the other ones with the same, you'll be downgraded and bypass the security check since you have the downgraded bootloader.

Give me credit and donate. I just saved the Verizon users' butts. As well as the tracfone ones.

If I can figure out how to unlock the straight talk bootloader I shall do. And make a flashable Odin image.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::D

WORKING! -> SM-S975L Straight Talk on locked down firmware. http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s4/unified-development/root-sm-s975l-straight-talk-variant-of4-t3279890/post64511525

Documentation

I need a reliable way to edit mbm files I've extracted from the stock NB1 image. OF4 bootloader won't let old versions flash, so I'm going through a hex editor after removing md5 check to see what I can do as far as hex editing the version number to be newer than OF4 from the binaries. We get a fail on aboot.mbm. We are compatable, however Knox says we cannot downgrade.

Documentation on Odin flashable .tars and correct Samsung official mpm formats?
Help unpacking/repacking mpm files and root injection?
Documentation on Qualcomm Snapdragon machine code.

Update: aboot.mpm, modem, and system.img.ext4 version numbers changed, there is some kind of pattern, I see in system.img.ext: NB1 scattered throughout the code pages. I'm wondering if this is safe to change. It looks part of the code, so I'd assume no. I am seeing their routines for checksum as well there too, near there. So to the requests goes documentation on ARM assmelber, machine code. I hope this helps people like for example loki_tool. Would be nice if we had one to patch samsung images. I can make one that searches for the strings in the code in C for all the phone models, it sure would help bypass Verizon's crap. I'm so mad at them, rant rant rant onwards... Towelroot apk is going to need modified to support this build number (OF4, it is rootable since its NB1, but towelroot just checks the build number)

UPDATE 2: Flashed. Successful Nand write start. aboot is write protected even at Download mode level. Will try documented successes on Odin 3.07 for bootloader aboot flashes. Flashing it fails with a security lockup. Odin 3.09 sits there, but Odin 3.07 might work.

Update 3: Hacking the version number to current out of the Samsung Verizon images produces successful NAND write start. Developers, please note this when unlocking boot loaders. I have discovered a compromise which will allow flashing of unofficial aboot and system data. Provided the flashed bootloader does not contain checksum code.

Last edited:

LupineDream

Sep 6, 2010
Kersey
attachment.php

Found in codepages of aboot.mpm Don't know if changing this plain text string is enough to make it match, I have a feeling CSC is going to fail which is going to require another hack. Plus half the code pages of aboot are SA1 encrypted. Going to search through mpm packages to make them all match.

Attachments

• 2015-12-27.jpg
    2015-12-27.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 8,895
Reactions: seyf63

LupineDream

Sep 6, 2010
Kersey
In system.img.ext4 NB1 is scattered throughout the codepages. I found it several times but not going to change until I know if it will causes a system boot failure.

Build number hex edited to OF4 to bypass CSC check. Original post updated.

Last edited:
Reactions: seyf63

rena14

Jul 31, 2012
Buenos Aires
I apologize for my ignorance since I don't fully understand the OP, so allow me to ask: does this wotk on USA AT&T GS4?

If it does work, and even if it doesn't, I think you should re-make the OP because I think the majority of people won't be able to understand what you did. Just an advice, I think it would be great!

Good job btw, you are giving us a little bit of hope!

Last edited:

Legitsu

Aug 30, 2013
you can't downgrade bootloaders if the qfuse is blown
period end of discussion
you tamper with the bootloader by hexediting its a one way ticket to brick town on qfuse-blown vzw devices

LupineDream

Sep 6, 2010
Kersey
you can't downgrade bootloaders if the qfuse is blown
period end of discussion
you tamper with the bootloader by hexediting its a one way ticket to brick town on qfuse-blown vzw devices

Unless of course, you have no idea what you're doing.
Does this or my guide look like I know what I'm doing? I'm root, now with disabled knox. So please don't insult me. You can flash modified loki'd aboot no issues. As long as signature matches you're gold. No qfuse. You insult someone who spends hours in a hex editor with this kind of thing, sir. I'm not technically downgrading. I'm tricking it into passing the code the downgraded kernel provides.

Bootloader screen

Verification Check: OK
0x0 KNOX Kernel Lock: Off
0x0 Verification Lock: Off
Warranty bit: 0x1 (Void)

Kernel lock and verification lock where on last night then some more tinkering got them off.
This stuff is to help people. So please mediocre responses like that are not necessary. Makes me not want to share my work sometimes.

Last edited:

LupineDream

Sep 6, 2010
Kersey
I apologize for my ignorance since I don't fully understand the OP, so allow me to ask: does this wotk on USA AT&T GS4?

If it does work, and even if it doesn't, I think you should re-make the OP because I think the majority of people won't be able to understand what you did. Just an advice, I think it would be great!

Good job btw, you are giving us a little bit of hope!

Thank you. I appreciate it. It works on the new Straight Talk / ATT GS4 with the corrected JB 4.3 and locked kernel. But as stated the flash will blow qfuse. But I'm not sure on that one, because I blew qfuse when I tried to flash TWRP, not during my tinkering.

Current issue is that Wi-Fi freezes in the OF4 firmware because the NB1 kernel does boot the OS, but OF4 is for JB 4.3 and NB1 is for JB 4.2. I have not encountered any FCs thus far. Recovery can't be flashed yet, but modified aboot with matching build number hex hacked into it OF4 does not throw a security check fail. I got nand write start, and pass.

Best I can say is try this hack method for your device. Find a sacrificial lamb you where going to throw away with a cracked screen. Ebay works. As long as the device is fully functional. All of my dev phones are old phones I'm getting rid of. So I never wreck a daily driver and a replacement is so cheap because of a damaged model I might only pay $50-100 for a device with a cracked screen.

Samsung's root certificates are in plain code in system.img.ext4. So sign your builds with the root certs, Sha256 pack, hex hack build number, gold.

The best explanation I can offer:

You are passing downgraded code. But Knox thinks you're just re flashing the current build.

Last edited:

rena14

Jul 31, 2012
Buenos Aires
Thank you. I appreciate it. It works on the new Straight Talk / ATT GS4 with the corrected JB 4.3 and locked kernel. But as stated the flash will blow qfuse. But I'm not sure on that one, because I blew qfuse when I tried to flash TWRP, not during my tinkering.

Current issue is that Wi-Fi freezes in the OF4 firmware because the NB1 kernel does boot the OS, but OF4 is for JB 4.3 and NB1 is for JB 4.2. I have not encountered any FCs thus far. Recovery can't be flashed yet, but modified aboot with matching build number hex hacked into it OF4 does not throw a security check fail. I got nand write start, and pass.

Best I can say is try this hack method for your device. Find a sacrificial lamb you where going to throw away with a cracked screen. Ebay works. As long as the device is fully functional. All of my dev phones are old phones I'm getting rid of. So I never wreck a daily driver and a replacement is so cheap because of a damaged model I might only pay $50-100 for a device with a cracked screen.

Samsung's root certificates are in plain code in system.img.ext4. So sign your builds with the root certs, Sha256 pack, hex hack build number, gold.

The best explanation I can offer:

You are passing downgraded code. But Knox thinks you're just re flashing the current build.
Thank you for taking time the to answer my question, I really appreciate the time and effort you are spending on this.

Since you are still working on this, I'll just wait until you finally get all the things together and fully unlock bootloader. My GS4 is also my daily driver so, following your advice, I better don't attempt to do anything until I can fully understand the whole thing.

Wish you the best of luck on this project, and thanks again for your work, dude!

Regards.

Matthew M.

Jul 31, 2015
Unless of course, you have no idea what you're doing.
Does this or my guide look like I know what I'm doing? I'm root, now with disabled knox. So please don't insult me. You can flash modified loki'd aboot no issues. As long as signature matches you're gold. No qfuse. You insult someone who spends hours in a hex editor with this kind of thing, sir. I'm not technically downgrading. I'm tricking it into passing the code the downgraded kernel provides.

Bootloader screen

Verification Check: OK
0x0 KNOX Kernel Lock: Off
0x0 Verification Lock: Off
Warranty bit: 0x1 (Void)

Kernel lock and verification lock where on last night then some more tinkering got them off.
This stuff is to help people. So please mediocre responses like that are not necessary. Makes me not want to share my work sometimes.

This sounds very promising. Thank you :)

TheLoonyRebel

Mar 20, 2010
Amazon Fire TV
Nexus Player
This is absolutely huge news to read. I am assuming once recovery is working (ie: TWRP) that perhaps could AOSP ROMs like CM13 be usable on all Verizon S4's once the downgrade is done? I'll be keeping track of the progress on this for sure. :D

Legitsu

Aug 30, 2013
yes you can spoof 'minor' version numbers(pretty sure somebody already did this a awhile back) but it's never going to boot(unless the op has discovered something new and magical that lets you remove the checksum/qfuse + chain of trust checks it most certainly will never get you back to VRUMDK or to a loki-exploitable base,which is what we need to run real custom roms and kernels
when the op demonstrates a working method to get a loki-able aboot flashed and working then I will be impressed until then status-quo remains because this looks extremely dubious from what we know of qualcomm's qfuses and knoxs bootloader shenanigans ...the status-quo has always been you so much as `touch` the aboot and its a automatic no-boot because its cryptographically signed and and there are hard-wired integrity checks in the cpu
the i545 is a completely different beast then all the other variants
@npjohnson ?

Last edited:

LupineDream

Sep 6, 2010
Kersey
yes you can spoof 'minor' version numbers(pretty sure somebody already did this a awhile back) but it's never going to boot(unless the op has discovered something new and magical that lets you remove the checksum/qfuse + chain of trust checks it most certainly will never get you back to VRUMDK or to a loki-exploitable base,which is what we need to run real custom roms and kernels
when the op demonstrates a working method to get a loki-able aboot flashed and working then I will be impressed until then status-quo remains because this looks extremely dubious from what we know of qualcomm's qfuses and knoxs bootloader shenanigans ...the status-quo has always been you so much as `touch` the aboot and its a automatic no-boot because its cryptographically signed and and there are hard-wired integrity checks in the cpu
@npjohnson ?
Said documentation on CPU integrity checks?
In that case, I'll most likely need more hardware than I currently have... Like a JTAG debugger. At least something thar can get me low level enough to reverse engineer and find out what the CPU I'd trying to verify. And match an aboot to it.

LupineDream

Sep 6, 2010
Kersey
@npjohnson ?
Right know I have a few tools that are providing useful, IDA decompiler being one of them. But I need the documentation on the instruction sets of the CPU and hardwarespec

Going to do some digging. I'm an it student though not enrolled at Penn State. There's a campus local. I'm going to do some asking around (quite cautiously) to find any equipment needed. I need this functional model to work with. I am getting a new DD next month

Shout out to any Penn state students. This is a project that's worth the bounty. Because if a JTAG won't give me access on POST, yeah, that's a disassembly and a chip mount. And that's not something I have the funds for. At all. Even though the most backwater of websites will take an auto deskffile and 3D print me a mount for pennies on the dollar.

Im realizing where there is a bounty on this unlock.... Again. Got to do some digging. If I become neglectful of this thread I am sorry. Its because quite honestly I'm probing for assistance.

Last edited:

whowatchlist

Nov 18, 2015
@npjohnson ?
I feel like an idiot but this might help: I was I of1(the latest lollipop build) and I Odin'ed oc1(the first lollipop build). Here's the the part that is interesting: I got a soft brick and could fix it through Odin. Sorry if you guys already knew this, just wanted to help.

Legitsu

Aug 30, 2013
Right know I have a few tools that are providing useful, IDA decompiler being one of them. But I need the documentation on the instruction sets of the CPU and hardwarespec

Going to do some digging. I'm an it student though not enrolled at Penn State. There's a campus local. I'm going to do some asking around (quite cautiously) to find any equipment needed. I need this functional model to work with. I am getting a new DD next month

Shout out to any Penn state students. This is a project that's worth the bounty. Because if a JTAG won't give me access on POST, yeah, that's a disassembly and a chip mount. And that's not something I have the funds for. At all. Even though the most backwater of websites will take an auto deskffile and 3D print me a mount for pennies on the dollar.

Im realizing where there is a bounty on this unlock.... Again. Got to do some digging. If I become neglectful of this thread I am sorry. Its because quite honestly I'm probing for assistance.

everything you wanna know is in this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2500826
pay close attention to the bits at the bottom and the posts about TZ aka trust zone
there has been a pretty massive effort at this for sometime with only sporadic progress
basicly focus shifted from unlocking to getting kexec working,which is just as good

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    READ ON!

I HAVE SUCCESSFULLY BYPASSED VERIZON/ATT OF4 SECURITY ON THE OF4 BUILD for the SM-S975L and have succeeded in downgrading the bootloader by hex editing. I reach the Samsung Galaxy S4 logo. This is quite the accomplishment for me. :)
    However, I need help with unpacking the system image and reworking it to an ATT-based ROM. Knox flat out tells me "No Verizon." when I try the flash. Because you know, aboot knox and all...

Merely hex edit the version number inside your custom boot image to match the system currently installed as you flash to stock. Search for any build number strings inside mbm files and edit accordingly. My documentation is below. Screw you verizon! I just saved myself $200.

Files to keep in Odin tar with matching build number name to pass check:

Changed
    S975LUDUANB1_S975LTFNANB1_S975LUDUANB1_HOME.tar.md5
    to
    S975LUDUAOF4_S975LTFNAOF4_S975LUDUAOF4_HOME.tar

Hex edited version numbers into:

aboot.mpm
    rpm.mbm
    sbl1.mbm
    sbl2.mbm
    tz.mbm
    boot.img

Guide update: Bootloader error "No Verizon. I suppose thats the CSC?"

deleted other files from that archive.

Made new archive name of:

S975LUDUANB1_S975LTFNANB1_S975LUDUANB1_HOME.tar

Placed system files in it. Rebooted and flashed. WORKED!

It will flash in Odin 3.07. Then reboot into download mode and flash the other ones with the same, you'll be downgraded and bypass the security check since you have the downgraded bootloader.

Give me credit and donate. I just saved the Verizon users' butts. As well as the tracfone ones.

If I can figure out how to unlock the straight talk bootloader I shall do. And make a flashable Odin image.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::D

WORKING! -> SM-S975L Straight Talk on locked down firmware. http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s4/unified-development/root-sm-s975l-straight-talk-variant-of4-t3279890/post64511525

Documentation

I need a reliable way to edit mbm files I've extracted from the stock NB1 image. OF4 bootloader won't let old versions flash, so I'm going through a hex editor after removing md5 check to see what I can do as far as hex editing the version number to be newer than OF4 from the binaries. We get a fail on aboot.mbm. We are compatable, however Knox says we cannot downgrade.

Documentation on Odin flashable .tars and correct Samsung official mpm formats?
    Help unpacking/repacking mpm files and root injection?
    Documentation on Qualcomm Snapdragon machine code.

Update: aboot.mpm, modem, and system.img.ext4 version numbers changed, there is some kind of pattern, I see in system.img.ext: NB1 scattered throughout the code pages. I'm wondering if this is safe to change. It looks part of the code, so I'd assume no. I am seeing their routines for checksum as well there too, near there. So to the requests goes documentation on ARM assmelber, machine code. I hope this helps people like for example loki_tool. Would be nice if we had one to patch samsung images. I can make one that searches for the strings in the code in C for all the phone models, it sure would help bypass Verizon's crap. I'm so mad at them, rant rant rant onwards... Towelroot apk is going to need modified to support this build number (OF4, it is rootable since its NB1, but towelroot just checks the build number)

UPDATE 2: Flashed. Successful Nand write start. aboot is write protected even at Download mode level. Will try documented successes on Odin 3.07 for bootloader aboot flashes. Flashing it fails with a security lockup. Odin 3.09 sits there, but Odin 3.07 might work.

Update 3: Hacking the version number to current out of the Samsung Verizon images produces successful NAND write start. Developers, please note this when unlocking boot loaders. I have discovered a compromise which will allow flashing of unofficial aboot and system data. Provided the flashed bootloader does not contain checksum code.
    for the record please nobody attempt this on a vzw device you will blow a qfuse or cause a hard brick

Thanks, we have the same type of emmc and different cid.
    I will try to patch the unlock cid with this.
    Could this be reworked to downgrade firmware on the GS4 VZW (SCH-I545) ?
    I have more firmwares for this device if needed. I work for the carrier that distributed this phone. We use verizons network for all of our devices.
    Here is the link to the folder on my google drive that has two different firmwares.

I545L Firmwares

Sorry, won't work on the i545. Already tried it years ago.

Hi
    Can we edit modem.bin binary version with hex editor?
    Like for a320f new binary is u3 and want write u2 modem.bin for repair imei
    I wait your answer
    Thanks.

Nope. Would fail signature checks.