[APP]GCA Launcher (Deprecated)

Search This thread

Nx Biotic

Oct 26, 2010
PA, USA
rgocal.github.io
Adding additional icon pack control as an upcoming feature in the next update.

Those of you who have taken the time to submit feedback, thank you very much. We should expect a new update by the end of the month.

Attachments

• IMG_20190912_150053_652.jpg
    IMG_20190912_150053_652.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 590
  • IMG_20190912_150055_482.jpg
    IMG_20190912_150055_482.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 588
  • IMG_20190912_150057_342.jpg
    IMG_20190912_150057_342.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 590
Reactions: bobandar

bobandar

Sep 3, 2017
Kuwait City
Amazing work, really looking forward with all your work.
I would like to ask if you don't mind adding an option of choosing the font size for the app names in the near update whenever you wish.
Thank you for the work!

Nx Biotic

Oct 26, 2010
PA, USA
rgocal.github.io
I would like to ask if you don't mind adding an option of choosing the font size for the app names in the near update whenever you wish.
Thank you for the work!

I was actually considering this already. I know it might be abit hard to read the app titles for some users.

Nx Biotic

Oct 26, 2010
PA, USA
rgocal.github.io
Thank you for the work!

We will have to see if these options work for us when its available but this was a relatively quick thing todo

Attachments

• Screenshot_1568387198.jpg
    Screenshot_1568387198.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 239

Nx Biotic

Oct 26, 2010
PA, USA
rgocal.github.io
I plan to release a new update next week addressing several issues the user base has discovered throughout the week. The update will also include several new cosmetic changes and features to further improve your experience.

User base is the largest of any app i have ever developed at the moment so i am prioritizing bugs, feature request and cosmetic changes.

Thankyou for supporting

Reactions: pepot and bubba1601

godrick15

Oct 27, 2013
installed on a samsung note pro tablet, nougat rom

check the bottom (attached screenshot)

icons from the app menu are peeking up towards my homescreen

wishlist:
more icons on shelf
swipe down anywhere above the applist to minimize app drawer
double tap to sleep

bugs:
freezes when opening app drawer sometimes
restarts randomly sometimes

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190918-123940.jpg
    Screenshot_20190918-123940.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 266
Reactions: Nx Biotic

Nx Biotic

Oct 26, 2010
PA, USA
rgocal.github.io
Decided to post a video today on the progress of development. V1.1 is going to introduce several key elements to the launcher. A better automated theme engine, a user friendly launcher experience, a new popup menu that's more interactable, a new OTA message system, fast scroll and safe drag zones to the app drawer and under the hood headway on quality of life enhancements.

In this demonstration, i show off how I wanted the searchbar to be used. it also shows its still not perfect but with a physical keyboard, makes things easier and more manageable. I want GCA optimized for all devices and to be a simplified launcher experience for everyone. We are in a new generation of android, we need a new experience to go with it.

https://youtu.be/ufCJQOxR9oI

Reactions: Balino and pepot

Nx Biotic

Oct 26, 2010
PA, USA
rgocal.github.io
installed on a samsung note pro tablet, nougat rom

check the bottom (attached screenshot)

icons from the app menu are peeking up towards my homescreen

wishlist:
more icons on shelf
swipe down anywhere above the applist to minimize app drawer
double tap to sleep

bugs:
freezes when opening app drawer sometimes
restarts randomly sometimes

That is a huge amount of wasted space... I will definitely look into better tablet optimization.

Wishlist is already in my wishlist

Reactions: godrick15

Nx Biotic

Oct 26, 2010
PA, USA
rgocal.github.io
I am going to try and have update 1.1 released before the end of the weekend. I've changed the behavior of a few things and eager to get some feedback on it. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

Reactions: pepot

Nx Biotic

Oct 26, 2010
PA, USA
rgocal.github.io
Tonight I will be releasing update 1.1 on Google Play, XDA Labs and the Telegram News Channel. I the only thing I did not get to was gesture customization which, to me, held opportunity for reasons to update for the next time around. 1.1 brings a lot of changes to the table. I am headed to bed and probably be bombarded by questions and feedback in the morning. I am expecting alot of questions, alot of feedback and most of all happiness and probably some confusion. 1.1 sets the foundation for the future of the app. A doorway to a new experience with Android 10.

Nx Biotic

Oct 26, 2010
PA, USA
rgocal.github.io
Details on release 1.1
-New Hidden developer mode. Developer mode will contain options that may help me track issues in the launcher or just experimental features not considered reliable. I trust regular users wouldn't find this area useful. Developer mode also has a new Shape Override options for custom aosp roms. This option doesn't work on heavily skinned roms like Samsung one ui, miui or even Pixel device theme engine.
-Searchbar will change shape based on icon shape chosen in Icon Pack activity
-Pill drag handle now properly themes itself
-Icon sizes have been increased by 10 dp. I will be looking at a icon size modifier here soon.
-The icon pack activity has been revised to allow real time preview of icon changes. This also includes a text size editor I'm still testing
-The Launcher theme engine has been slightly tweeked to be more precise and accurate when theming the Shelf, Material Drawer, App Drawer and System UI.
-TabTitleStrip for Work Tab has been replaced with a Material Design TabLayout with new theme enhancements.
-Safe drag zones have been added to allow better app drawer dragging (new divider added as a drag zone)
-Popup menu rebuilt to be user friendly. The new popup menu is bigger, faster and smarter. It will prioritize app shortcuts, actions and preview priority notifications for users. Click events have been revisited to reaxt to popup menus and be timed to be active or not before the window is dismissed. This new menu also brings the possibility of custom shortcuts to be made for pre Naugat devices in the future.
-Many fixes have been implemented, found by the user base on release
-Flashback is a new window that keeps record of ota notifications and alerts for GCA powered by Firebase
-Added extra controls over notifications dependant of the OS
-Added toggle to remember app drawer position
-Long clicking an app shortcut will add it to the Predictive Action holder now
-Notification underlining revised for several syncing issues (still not 100%)
-Shelf icons now match app drawer
-Started implementing Shelf Favorites drag repositioning (can drag favorites to new position side to side but will not remember the position as of now)
And under the hood maintenance

The launcher will crash for users receiving the update. To fix this, simply reset the data of the app from the android settings or reinstall from the app store. This was due to me rewriting the launcher database. This was needed for backup and restore in the future.

Last edited:

bubba1601

Aug 23, 2016
Nokia G10/G20
Unfortunately I've ran into huge problems after installing the new update (fresh install from G Play)

Touching any icon in the app draw doesn't open the app I'm wanting to open, it opens something else.

My last app in my app draw is XDA labs and touching that opens Google photos, as well as the other three apps at the bottom.

Every app in the app draw is the same, the icon I press is not opening the app I want, it's opening other apps two or three places in the app draw away from the one I press (does that make sense?)

Tested on Honor 7s (Oreo 8.1 with EMUI 8.0) and Nokia 1 plus on pie go edition.

Sorry for the bad feedback :(

Last edited:

Nx Biotic

Oct 26, 2010
PA, USA
rgocal.github.io
Unfortunately I've ran into huge problems after installing the new update (fresh install from G Play)

Touching any icon in the app draw doesn't open the app I'm wanting to open, it opens something else.

My last app in my app draw is XDA labs and touching that opens Google photos, as well as the other three apps at the bottom.

Every app in the app draw is the same, the icon I press is not opening the app I want, it's opening other apps two or three places in the app draw away from the one I press (does that make sense?)

Tested on Honor 7s (Oreo 8.1 with EMUI 8.0) and Nokia 1 plus on pie go edition.

Sorry for the bad feedback :(

That's not supposed to happen... Try uninstalling the app and reinstalling

Nx Biotic

Oct 26, 2010
PA, USA
rgocal.github.io
Im aware the search functionality blows in GCA launcher right now. Ive never really delt with anything needing and/or requiring a search functionality to be built from scratch so it's a learning process at the moment.

Search is being rebuilt into 2 seperate areas similar to how chrome os works. Im going to work on a standalone search window that will search the web, app store and recently used apps and actions that will be accessible on the homescreen beside having just a search for your apps in the drawer.

Right now, its laggy and not dependable as i want it to be. I will probably focus on this for the next major update. I've been pushing alot of hotfix updates lately and these are just little important things i missed that needed attention rather quickly.

Thankyou for supporting and pledging. Cheers!

Nx Biotic

Oct 26, 2010
PA, USA
rgocal.github.io
So an update for everyone since everyone is curious of what's next in GCA. The focus right now is performance and reliability. I'm working on Of course the new search interface separating app search and internet search. Eventually, id love to integrate global search but we are a ways out on that. I'm still designing and Polishing the search interface and will of course get feedback on you guys once it rolls out and i can design it better for how we use it. Internet search will be triggered by tapping the shelf searchbar. The Shelf searchbar will also have a trigger for left and right swipe gestures. The desktop will have more gestures at your disposal for app shortcuts (i will add actions for hardware probably in the future like double tap to sleep, flashlight, ect). App search is garbage atm as we can all agree so I'm doing 2 things for this. I'm building a custom view to handle Apps in the Drawer, Recents and Shelf Favorites. Instead of the drawer handling multiple views and deciding what sizes they are, what icons they get and mask, I'm making the custom view handle that while the drawer is just responsible to spit out the custom view which should make things smoother and faster. Instead of the list asking the adapter (I need an icon, title, volor, shape, drawable, textsize, text style, app icon size, etc), I'll be asking it to present a title, icon and color with the main view. Launcher3 (Pixel Launcher) uses a similar method. That launcher uses a custom view called a Bubbletextview which is just a heavily modified text to show themed icons above the app titles respective to screen size and themes by the os. I have created a similar view which is responsible for the same actions but a tad different. Just built for what we need it to do. App search will be rebuilt against this new view so it operates the way we want it to and that is to work. Once Gestures, search and this new view is completed, I'll publish the update which this could take at the most to finish 2 weeks.

The feedback the user base have sent my way has been very helpful and with each update,I'm trying to prioritize bug fixes and feature request. My free time to code is starting to be limited as I get older but all i can ask is patience and that effort to inform me of new ideas and possibilities for this project.

Nx Biotic

Oct 26, 2010
PA, USA
rgocal.github.io
Testing out the new build on my essential. I have some finalization prep for gesture control and than it should be ready for a release

Attachments

• IMG_20191007_220738_421.jpg
    IMG_20191007_220738_421.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_20191007_220739_924.jpg
    IMG_20191007_220739_924.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_20191007_220741_925.jpg
    IMG_20191007_220741_925.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 145

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Being a fan of Chromium OS and a passion for developing new and interesting things, I decided to build a launcher inspired by chromium os, based on Material Components.

GCA or GO Custom Android Launcher is a pixel design inspired launcher with core component features from chromium OS desktop. Its designed and built for Android Go but also offers new devices a fresh and new experience for your homescreen.

Supporting Android 5.x+, GCA offers a single screen launcher replacement app for android users who want a pixel lite experience. Alot of the offered features come from my other launcher, Sapphyx Launcher, and rebuilt to be faster, lighter and ultimately offer a better experience in a small package. It runs beautifully on Android Go, smooth on devices with Android 5 (Like the Kindle Fires) and offers a theme engine that's customizeable by the user.

GCA features are dependant on what Google Apps are installed that depend on an action, whether Google services is installed or not and specific apps that are installed (Action Dash for Dash System Shortcut)

Core Features
    -A single screen setup (no grid, one widget).
    -A customizeable App Drawer with multi-purpose search.
    -The App Drawer features apps with system shortcuts and app shortcuts and allows users to blacklist apps.
    -App Drawer supports a secondary "Work" tab to help organize apps in a better fassion.
    -App Shortcuts generate a list of selectable app shortcuts in a vertical menu of the app popup.
    -Recent Apps
    -Easy to use launcher customization
    -Pixel/Chromium desktop like Cosmetics
    -Launcher uses my wallpaper app, Drywall, as default wallpaper provider. If its not installed, fallback on user selected.
    -Notification Badges and Underlining. Clicking on the app will dismiss. Is not supported on Android Go unless activated by OEM.
    -Adaptive Icons
    -Icon Packs

Adaptive Icons
    -GCA Launcher uses James Fenn's adaptive icon view library. The code itself was inspired by lawnchair's backport of adaptive icons for pre oreo devices. It pulls v26 icon assets for foregrounds and backgrounds and relayers them as an adaptive icon view which behave similar to pixel launchers adaptive icons. How you choose to use them will affect performance of the launcher and should be chosen dependant of how capable your device is. Users can select which shape of adaptive icon path they want to use. This will also apply itself to app actions, predictions and app drawer button.

There are 3 options of icons you may use for your drawer.
    Pixel Adaptive - will try and generate adaptive icons based on the assets gathered by the icon and created by the system, this will slow down your app drawer depending on your hardware. (Not recommended for Android Go, Does not support icon packs)
    Palette Adaptive - will disregard any assets available from the icon and simply scale the icon drawable as foreground and apply the dominant color of the icon for the background drawable (Faster than pixel adaptive, supports icon packs)
    Normal Icons - normal default icon behavior and style

What's Not Working / WIP
    -Icon Packs that generate their own icons like Icon Pack Studio may cause crashes, please don't use them. Icon Packs developed with BluePrint library are recommended.
    -If external data usage permission is denied on first start, homescreen scrim will not be available or work correctly. Homescreen scrim will set to default white if using a live wallpaper.
    -GCA is setup to change available features based on Android OS, if you notice something that may not be correct or crashes, let me know. This is your only paywall.
    -Android 5.X support is limited but work in progress. Cosmetics and style need updated but it is functional. Please report back any inconveniences and crashes.
    -Android 10 support has been added but we are monitoring performance and compatibility.
    -Adaptive Shape Views and Adaptive Icon performance may vary on devices.

Changelog
    -A detailed changelog can be found in the application settings. It is written in html so translation is your responsibility, html can be copied.

Donations
    / Pledges
    -Yearly pledges have been implemented in the app. You are not obligated for any reason to purchase these but if you want regular updates, its recommended. Pledges keep the project alive and a few cups of coffee or a beer is sent my way (depending on time of day).

Downloads

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gocalsd.symphlyx

Xda Labs: https://labs.xda-developers.com/store/app/com.gocalsd.symphlyx

Telegram: Support channel can be found in the app settings

Bug Reports / Request
    Please use the telegram channel or xda forums for bug reports and request. Do not use the Google Play ratings as a place for this stuff.

While making request, take into consideration how itl affect performance. We are keeping Android Go as our target OS. If itl consume memory or increase size massively , im not interested. We are aiming to keep customization minimal and the launcher simple but their could be different ways to approach currently implemented features, and id love to hear your ideas.
    Project update: 02/24/20
    Things are going accordingly to plan. However, I planned for the beta to be active by the end of the month however that's not going to happen because of a few things happening in the background.

I don't wanna say to much about the project but its looking pretty awesome. Improved predictive apps, improved smooth scrolling, improved drawer tabs, reworked notification listener and badges, new app sheet and more.

I will open a new thread for V2 as alot will be changing and anything regarding V1 will be disregarded.
    Android Go Nokia 1 performance demonstration

Nokia 1 and Essential Phone performance comparison

Quick Preview of Symphlyx (Latest build)

8/11/19

Il be uploading a new video soon comparing performance on a variety of devices using Symphlyx Official
    Just an update on the project. There is still no release date for version 2.0 but things are coming along with the rewrite. Here are some screens from development.

Here we see the first look at the new companion page, a revised navigation menu, the new sheet menu brining multi-purpose features and Groups(folders) feature in concept design.

I'm currently experimenting with individual icon editing as well. Its become a core feature requirement over the years and figured i would tackle this in GCA Launcher V2 with the new sheet menu. In the preview, Icons have their adaptive backgrounds toggled to show proof of concept.

There are alot of changes i have planned and hopefully it'll make a new launcher experience we will look forward to this year.
    I plan to release a new update this weekend if the tracked bugs we have found in the new build are fixed in time. If not, I will wait till next weekend.

I will also be renaming the launcher and designing a new icon. Originally, Symphlyx was to be a lite version of Sapphyx Launcher but its grown to be more than that and alot has changed in the background.

There is currently a bug were Pledges cannot be purchased, i will be looking to correct this as well as users gaining a "title" when the launcher has detected a pledge has been purchased.

Right now, development is focusing on touch up and finalization of the few new things ive added this week. Categorizing the launcher settings was a step toward making the launcher feel like a launcher. The next step after that was to implement a menu that was more based on Material Components than a laggy bottomsheet. The new "work" tab makes the app drawer feel more pixel like and more professional. Menu items have been moved around to proper locations i felt was best and ground work has been laid for future customization to gestures and backup and restore functionality. Cyanea fixes have been implemented to allow better themeing and app drawer performance has been slightly improved as well as launcher standby performance.

Theirs a few things up my sleeve i am experimenting with that will come later. Im just see how users react to each new implementation before going forward with large feature placements.