[GT-I9003] [FIX] Samsung Galaxy SL Easy GPS Fix

Search This thread

KonfusedGeek

May 1, 2011
This small guide is an instant GPS Fix tried on Samsung Galaxy SL I9003 and may work on other phones. This small guide will reduce the time taken to lock to satellites and has been tested inside a building with 8 floors and I was able to achieve lock to 4 satellites.

A much better guide to GPS Fix is here : http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=13133654&postcount=142

Since that guide requires a little bit of manual work, so this is just a small software tweak ;)

So here is what you have to do:

1. Turn Off GPS

2. Open LibTestMode. If you do not know how to open it then you can open it by typing the following code in the dialer (Froyo Only): *#*#3214789650#*#*

3. Under "Application settings" Change "Operation Mode" to Standalone. (Some people have reported better accuracy with MS Mode)

4. Under "Application Settings", Change "Timeout(s)" to 100

5. Under "SUPL/CP Settings" Change the SERVER & PORT to supl.google.com and port 7276

6. Reboot

NOTE: The attached screenshot is inside the building. I have received better results outside and accuracy of upto <40 feet was achieved.

Attachments

• SC20110508-195003.jpg
    SC20110508-195003.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 3,942

S.K.Pingua

May 11, 2011
New Delhi.
Cold Start- GPS.

Hi there,

My Samsung Galaxy Pro was a bit reluctant in locking on to satellite signals, it used to take no minimum than 5 minutes.

Then I chanced upon an app in the market: "GPS Aids"... Do check it :)

Just wanted to know your views on "GPS Aids" & such alike apps...

Im now getting GPS lock in less than 5secs with 9-10sats in view & 7 in use inside my 3storey building surrounded my such more buildings and tall trees.
The best accuracy rate I have achieved is 2metres & most of the time it is 4metres :)

Thanx,

S.K.Pingua,
New Delhi.

Last edited:

adgdeepak

May 21, 2011
GPS FIX i9003

I purchased my i9003 a fortnight back and had wonderful opinion , till the time i checked the GPS and surprisingly it did not work, could not understand how a product can be defective out of box. however when i googled for a fix , came to know there was significant issues with galaxy S phones

Contacted Samsung customer care , the technical folks have no clues and seems to from a different planet,all of them either denied there was a problem or asked me to do a hard reset, one tried to convince me for an hour that A-GPS worked only on network triangulation and did not have a actual gps and will give only an approximate location.

coming back to the problem , The earlier issues in Galaxy s related to configuration which were rectified by a fix and 2.2 update

the problem with i9003 i feel had something to do with the inbuilt sensor, i tried lot of software from android market including GPS Doctor, GPS Aids, GPS Fix, GPS Status, GPS test and GPS essentials among others... none of them were able to fix the problem , although few of them were able to detect gps satellites ( sometime even 12) but were not able to get a fix. the sad part was two of the apps were paid apps and total waste of money

In my trial and error approach I tried a software called Turbo GPS (its free) from android market, the major difference in this software vs. others was it had its own software to manage the sensors and after installing software the problem vanished. all you need to do is to run Turbo GPS wait for a couple of minutes and then start google maps. it worked like a charm.....

S.K.Pingua

May 11, 2011
New Delhi.
I purchased my i9003 a fortnight back and had wonderful opinion , till the time i checked the GPS and surprisingly it did not work, could not understand how a product can be defective out of box. however when i googled for a fix , came to know there was significant issues with galaxy S phones

Contacted Samsung customer care , the technical folks have no clues and seems to from a different planet,all of them either denied there was a problem or asked me to do a hard reset, one tried to convince me for an hour that A-GPS worked only on network triangulation and did not have a actual gps and will give only an approximate location.

coming back to the problem , The earlier issues in Galaxy s related to configuration which were rectified by a fix and 2.2 update

the problem with i9003 i feel had something to do with the inbuilt sensor, i tried lot of software from android market including GPS Doctor, GPS Aids, GPS Fix, GPS Status, GPS test and GPS essentials among others... none of them were able to fix the problem , although few of them were able to detect gps satellites ( sometime even 12) but were not able to get a fix. the sad part was two of the apps were paid apps and total waste of money

In my trial and error approach I tried a software called Turbo GPS (its free) from android market, the major difference in this software vs. others was it had its own software to manage the sensors and after installing software the problem vanished. all you need to do is to run Turbo GPS wait for a couple of minutes and then start google maps. it worked like a charm.....
Hi adgdeepak, tough but successful experience. everyone has a share of GPS challenges, nice to know yours.
I crosschecked & double checked but could not find "Turbo GPS" on Android market!

Anyway, happy navigation :)

AngelDeath

Not to take anything away from the OP author or anyone else, but would anyone be willing to test mine out? It is in my sig. If it helps you great, but its more for me to see if my theory is right that any android phone will work.

So far, it works on the Droid, Captivate, Aria, Inspire, Desire +HD, HD2, and the list goes on. I will not be checking this thread But its another alternative I wanted to point out, and am curious of its success.

$omator

Dec 26, 2010
tri(p) city
www.facebook.com
'good old fix' for captivate or vibrant strikes again...same with 'press antena' one, nothing new...
again users have to fix their phones by editing service menu and with a piece of paper/coper =)

as it is PROBABLY the same BCM4751 chip - with same crappy board-antena contact as in sgs - you SL users are GPS handicapped ;]

could someone check what chip it carries?

//edit regarding hardware fix -> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=878970
dont forget to say thank you samsung ;]

Last edited:

trip007in

Jun 7, 2010
Bangalore
'good old fix' for captivate or vibrant strikes again...same with 'press antena' one, nothing new...
again users have to fix their phones by editing service menu and with a piece of paper/coper =)

as it is PROBABLY the same BCM4751 chip - with same crappy board-antena contact as in sgs - you SL users are GPS handicapped ;]

could someone check what chip it carries?

//edit regarding hardware fix -> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=878970
dont forget to say thank you samsung ;]

No buddy, we do not have problem with GPS. Locks within 5 seconds with XXKB3 firmware.
I saw you your post on [ROM][ODEX] SATAN.XXJVO beta1. Would you like to help us in porting few goodies from I9000 or can you guide us whom to contact for porting clockwork recovery for I9003. Thanks in advance.

$omator

Dec 26, 2010
tri(p) city
www.facebook.com
i also have instant fix, that never was an issue
real problem is with recorded tracks (eg mytracks) - while i am not moving fixed position likes to travel around, and wile moving it likes to record me off position
what bothers me is also fix stepping - every 5m not by 1m ad in my 5 years phone

as for CWM ask Chainfire

trip007in

Jun 7, 2010
Bangalore
real problem is with recorded tracks (eg mytracks) - while i am not moving fixed position likes to travel around, and wile moving it likes to record me off position
what bothers me is also fix stepping - every 5m not by 1m ad in my 5 years phone

as for CWM ask Chainfire

Thanks for replying. I have never tried to record tracks while navigating. Will test it and post the results here. I have sent PM to chinfire, hoping for positive response towards the custom/CWR for I9003

Reactions: tanu_invincible

rxpaul

Jul 13, 2009
GPS Aids helps but not that much.. I couldn't find the 'Turbo GPS' either! Any links or directions to that app?/

edsel6502

Apr 12, 2011
This small guide is an instant GPS Fix tried on Samsung Galaxy SL I9003 and may work on other phones. This small guide will reduce the time taken to lock to satellites and has been tested inside a building with 8 floors and I was able to achieve lock to 4 satellites.

A much better guide to GPS Fix is here : http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=13133654&postcount=142

Since that guide requires a little bit of manual work, so this is just a small software tweak ;)

1. Turn Off GPS

2. Open LibTestMode. If you do not know how to open it then you can open it by typing the following code in the dialer (Froyo Only): *#*#3214789650#*#*

3. Under "Application settings" Change "Operation Mode" to Standalone. (Some people have reported better accuracy with MS Mode)

5. Under "SUPL/CP Settings" Change the SERVER & PORT to supl.google.com and port 7276

6. Reboot

NOTE: The attached screenshot is inside the building. I have received better results outside and accuracy of upto <40 feet was achieved.

No such luck.

My setting were already set to the above. Not a single GPS lock.

Firmware version 2.2.1
Baseband version I9003DDKA5

edsel6502

Apr 12, 2011
Got it to work. This is specific to me.

background:

Samsung i9003 from India.
Provider: AT&T, Airtel
Current Location: California

Here what I needed to do.

1. Root your phone
2. Down GPS Aids from the Marketplace
3. Use the forced LTO method from the setup wizard of GPS Aids. (this requires your phone to be rooted. Native method does not work for me.)
4. run LibTestMode and change the Application Settings -> Operation Mode -> MS Mode (Standalone did not work for me)
5. Reboot

Looking for to use this when I go back to Bangalore again.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1. Turn Off GPS

6. Reboot

Cold Start- GPS.

Hi there,

My Samsung Galaxy Pro was a bit reluctant in locking on to satellite signals, it used to take no minimum than 5 minutes.

Then I chanced upon an app in the market: "GPS Aids"... Do check it :)

Just wanted to know your views on "GPS Aids" & such alike apps...

Im now getting GPS lock in less than 5secs with 9-10sats in view & 7 in use inside my 3storey building surrounded my such more buildings and tall trees.
    The best accuracy rate I have achieved is 2metres & most of the time it is 4metres :)

Thanx,

S.K.Pingua,
    New Delhi.

as for CWM ask Chainfire

Thanks for replying. I have never tried to record tracks while navigating. Will test it and post the results here. I have sent PM to chinfire, hoping for positive response towards the custom/CWR for I9003