The Offical how I hard bricked my E4GT thread

Search This thread

scarmon25

Feb 18, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Damn that sucks. More bricks. We need to start putting the word out to not flash any other build from an ICS build without Odining to stock GB first. I have been doing that and haven't had any issues so far. Hopefully that will prevent me from bricking again.

Isriam

Sep 12, 2006
can the OP update the first page to add mobiletechvideos.com as a place for repair? Costs 50 bucks and owner says it can be done. Ships to texas.

brennam7

Nov 23, 2011
Milwaukee, WI
Add me to the brick list!

Was on CM9, flashed a different version of it, tried booting, got stuck at the boot animation (for like 5 minutes) tried booting into recovery, and could no longer wipe data.

I've tried restoring to el29, fb21, pretty much everything. Always fails on the data.img.

Unless someone knows how to re-partition the /data partition, i'm eff'd! guess i should just stop flashing!

Epix4G

Sep 14, 2011
phoenix
I have went from ics to GB like 8 times and only had problem1 time had to wipe data to get to boot....always Odin back and then restore from there.... Los was killing me ...Even on fb21 radio and fb17 kernel cm9 time without signal was always 20 to 30 %

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Dchibro

Jul 28, 2011
San Diego, CA
So yes if you are on ics with any recovery you can NOT wipe data or you will brick

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA App

I don't know if it's as simple as that. I went from FB17 to FB21 by ...

1) Booting into Rogue FB17 CWM repack recovery
2) Installing Calk's wipe all ZIP
3) Installing FB21 ROM
4) Installing FB21 Modem
5) Reboot

All went fine. No brick.

I later used sfhub's autoroot tool to push over the FB21 CWM kernel repack. Again, rebooted fine.

EDIT - I've also Nandroid restored my GB ROM to get a GPS lock, shutdown, booted back into CWM and restored my FB21 ICS ROM. Don't know what to say really, but it seems I've done a lot of the things that people are suspecting are causing the bricks.

Last edited:

Epix4G

Sep 14, 2011
phoenix
I don't know if it's as simple as that. I went from FB17 to FB21 by ...

1) Booting into Rogue FB17 CWM repack recovery
2) Installing Calk's wipe all ZIP
3) Installing FB21 ROM
4) Installing FB21 Modem
5) Reboot

All went fine. No brick.

I later used sfhub's autoroot tool to push over the FB21 CWM kernel repack. Again, rebooted fine.

EDIT - I've also Nandroid restored my GB ROM to get a GPS lock, shutdown, booted back into CWM and restored my FB21 ICS ROM. Don't know what to say really, but it seems I've done a lot of the things that people are suspecting are causing the bricks.

All it takes is once to corrupt the data partition and you have a brick better to be safe

Dchibro

Jul 28, 2011
San Diego, CA
All it takes is once to corrupt the data partition and you have a brick better to be safe

Yeah you're probably right. After finally reading this whole thread I'm going to follow your advice and Odin a full EL29 before I go anywhere from here until this stuff gets worked out. Too many unknowns for my taste.

Epix4G

Sep 14, 2011
phoenix
Yeah you're probably right. After finally reading this whole thread I'm going to follow your advice and Odin a full EL29 before I go anywhere from here until this stuff gets worked out. Too many unknowns for my taste.

That's the thing no one knows for sure what is happening but most involve touch recovery...I just went back to cm7 last night and used mobile Odin pro to do it and it worked great ...

krazyflipj

Jan 14, 2008
When mine bricked I was not touching the data partition at all. I was reinstalling a ROM and did not wipe data.

Based on your previous post, looks like the issue was that you were flashing CM9 3.1 with SH's Rogue Recovery. Remember, when 3.1 was released, there was no custom recovery for it. I believe/recommend the only way of flashing CM9 3.1 is with a stock CWM recovery (Found in CM7 rom). If you want Rogue Recovery, make sure you have stock CWM recovery found in cm7, flash CM93.1, then flash CM9 Rogue Recovery in the same session.

Last edited:

Epix4G

Sep 14, 2011
phoenix
One of the devs said that Samsung moved the data partition a little in ics .... Don't remember where I saw it but that could be the reason no one has had a brick when Odin back yo GB vs just restore back or flash back from ics .... Safer to Odin in my opinion

ojones838

Oct 16, 2011
Louisville
Visit to Sprint Store was unproductive

I bricked my E4GT by flashing a ICS 4.0.3 ROM. So yesterday I went to a Sprint Store and was told that flashing ANYTHING that didn't come from Sprint voided my warranty. And that since I wasn't a Sprint subscriber (Credo Mobile subscriber), they couldn't work on my phone. From what they were saying they couldn't even work on it by me paying for it. I was hoping to get reflashed by JTAG. So today I'll call Credo and try to get an exchange. The phone is just over a month old. And since Credo doesn't have any means of troubleshooting or repair like Sprint, all they can do is exchange it. Or maybe I can just take it to a cell phone repair shop and see if they can JTAG it. WHATEVER, I just need my phone back. I may even have to "update" my phone meaning just buy another one for almost full price and chalk it up to my stupidity. I should have known better to flash a ROM from Zedomax immediately before checking it out by searching for comments etc.,first. I feel a little better knowing that Samsung phones respond to the JTAG very nicely. Now everything depends on what Credo tells me today. Will update...

nevrlow

Jul 27, 2011
virginia beach
Bricking a phone is never a good time. I've only Bricked one phone thank God. I got a g1 back in the day and rooted successful. Traded it for a white T2. I Bricked that one. haven't Bricked a phone since. Scary stuff.

Sent from My HD2 with GingerBreadz.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    E4gt wasn't really brickable either until:

People saw ics test releases coming out for the intl gs2 and started flashing them getting the intl bootloader which rendered their usb port inoperable even though they could get intk odin dl mode.

Ics test releases started coming out for e4gt which ended up using a linux 3.0 kernel which has slightly changed how partitions are accesed. This coupled with a suggestion that people combine cwm touch with the new kernel caused the 2nd set of bricks.

Both these conditions didn't exist during tge og epic days you remember. There was far less confusion about the intl galaxy s and there was no 3.0 linux kernel with ics.
    Well since I just bricked my phone I decided to start this tread. I figured it would be helpful for people to read to keep them from bricking their phone by not following the same process of the unlucky few who have hard bricked their device.

I flashed the Rogue CM9 kernel through Mobile Odin Pro and while on the FB17 leak from Calk which is where I think I made my mistake. when I went to flash CM9 alpha 3.1 it got stuck at install for about 15 minutes before i decided to the battery which I knew was a HORRIBLE idea. When I tried to boot back up all I got was a blue light. My guess is that the phone didn't like that I had a AOSP Kernel while on a TW rom and got confused and froze because it didn't know what to do next. The good news it that sprint is ever so gracious to provide me with a new phone coming in the mail on Thursday since they don't have any in stock. I just told them I got a update and when it installed it wouldn't boot back up and I should hopefully be back in business with some CM9 yumminess later this week :D thank the cellular gods for insurance!

Some users are reporting that mobiletechvideos.com is somewhere you can send your phone too have it brought back from the dead.
    Oh I bricked my ET4G by........by.........No wait, Ive never bricked my sh** before. Lol.

4257422d-04c5-2caa.jpg

^^^What he said :rolleyes:

After I got the blue led of death, I took it into sprint and played dumb. (The guy from mobiletechvideos emailed me and said that he probably couldnt fix my phone) I told sprint that it dropped it the middle of an update, and wouldnt boot. Came back two hours later, and they said they tried to swap the screen. (Idiots) Left 5 minutes later with a brand new one. Social Engineering at its finest.
    Imo it is more productive to concentrate on providing solutions rather than ripping on each other.

It is hard to get down to the bottom of the issue with cwm touch fake flashed onto an ics linux 3.0 kernel when previously it had only been paired with a gb linux 2.6 kernel, especially when one is working blind and doesn't have the source for either.

I did notice the major/minor dev numbers changed for the /data partition between the ics 3.0 kernel and the gb 2.6 kernel while most of the other partitions stayed the same. That might explain why all the other partitions are fine and it is /data that is hosed. I would start there and see if there is any hard-coded partition info that wouldn't adjust.