wireless miracast screen mirroring with Netgear PTV 3000

Search This thread

bubblesmoney

Jun 1, 2010
Wireless miracast screen mirroring with netgear PTV3000 works fine with occasional stuttering with full HD videos.
See my upload https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxZKpg3o-dk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Gaming there is a lag sometimes with stuttering but works fine usually for videos and photos and Google music and presentations etc. Great accessory. Just hope they enable this feature for screen mirroring for my nexus 7 too soon

Reactions: XTeK2

wyssaj01

Feb 17, 2011
for those who don't have the allshare cast hub or other wireless display solution check out sku 7511057 at bestbuy.com. Best Buy has a SMALL rocketfish miracast adapter that works with the s3, s4, note 2, and anything else miracast.

Sorry for no link, I can't post URLs yet.

Lolento

Jul 31, 2007
for those who don't have the allshare cast hub or other wireless display solution check out sku 7511057 at bestbuy.com. Best Buy has a SMALL rocketfish miracast adapter that works with the s3, s4, note 2, and anything else miracast.

Sorry for no link, I can't post URLs yet.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketfish%26%23153%3B---Miracast-Video-Receiver/7511057.p?id=1218851304131&skuId=7511057

This looks interesting in that it looks like it can be powered entirely from the TV. But I have had Rocketfish products before and they are not that great.

I'm especially interested in the range and latency, Someone shed some light on this.

jyabor91

Mar 13, 2010
Wireless miracast screen mirroring with netgear PTV3000 works fine with occasional stuttering with full HD videos.
See my upload https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxZKpg3o-dk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Gaming there is a lag sometimes with stuttering but works fine usually for videos and photos and Google music and presentations etc. Great accessory. Just hope they enable this feature for screen mirroring for my nexus 7 too soon

I also have the ptv3000 but my tmobile s4 wont connect. My htc one will but the s4 wont. Are you running a custom rom or kernel? And if so what are you running. Im on infamous v1.1 and using faux kernel

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Lolento

Jul 31, 2007
I also have the ptv3000 but my tmobile s4 wont connect. My htc one will but the s4 wont. Are you running a custom rom or kernel? And if so what are you running. Im on infamous v1.1 and using faux kernel

I don't have any miracast dongle but my guess is that you have a debloated rom which removed all share cast or something relevant to the miracast function.

I have the PTV3000 and so far I have connected my S4, Xperia ZL, Note II, S3, and my Centrino laptop.

For connecting the Note II and S3, you have to use the Samsung AllShare Cast app. It usually takes 2-3 tries to get it to connect the first time, but when it does connect to the adapter the first time subsequent connections seem to happen right away. Also, the Note II and S3 seemed to lose all wifi when connected...any data pulled from the internet seemed to need mobile data (ie. streaming Youtube means using the mobile data to get the Youtube video, and wifi is used to stream to the tv). On the S4, this limitation does not exist as both wifi and miracast works fine. I guess the S4 has an additional antenna or there is something in the ac standard that allows simultaneous transmission and download.

The range is excellent...streaming works a good 50-60 feet away. There is lag no matter how close, so I would say its not ideal for gaming, but for just sharing our screen its great.

The S4 gets really, really hot as well...say goodbye to battery life with this of course.

If you get the PTV, make sure you update the firmware as a lot of bugs were present in the previous firmware. Works great now.

Reactions: bubblesmoney

bubblesmoney

Jun 1, 2010

no my SGS4 is stock rom (GT-I9505) and the PTV3000 worked out of the box as shown in the video and later works with updated firmware from netgear website. I have not tried the beta firmware from google forums yet. The links to all this is in my youtube video description.

I have made other uploads of this working with my dell laptop and another video showing the latency. To note the latency, rather than watch the latency video continuously, you need to pause the video intermittently on youtube and see the timer difference between my phone and TV and you will note that latency is between 250-350milliseconds. Ok for videos and photos and angry birds etc but not for any time sensitive gaming. If interested in those videos then click the link on my tag line below which will take you to my uploads on youtube

I think if you are rooted then there are some HDCP errors from what i read. So i read elsewhere that if you do the triangle away procedure then may work. I havent bothered rooting as am fine with the device as is. Its for my wife as the phone is too small for me :) I am waiting for the Note 3 or something better :)

see lag for miracast and WiDi wireless display video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-5JJhKMph8

see WiDi wireless mirroring my laptop with the netgear PTV3000 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZaDe-P_74s

Last edited:

jyabor91

Mar 13, 2010
no my SGS4 is stock rom (GT-I9505) and the PTV3000 worked out of the box as shown in the video and later works with updated firmware from netgear website. I have not tried the beta firmware from google forums yet. The links to all this is in my youtube video description.

I have made other uploads of this working with my dell laptop and another video showing the latency. To note the latency, rather than watch the latency video continuously, you need to pause the video intermittently on youtube and see the timer difference between my phone and TV and you will note that latency is between 250-350milliseconds. Ok for videos and photos and angry birds etc but not for any time sensitive gaming. If interested in those videos then click the link on my tag line below which will take you to my uploads on youtube

I think if you are rooted then there are some HDCP errors from what i read. So i read elsewhere that if you do the triangle away procedure then may work. I havent bothered rooting as am fine with the device as is. Its for my wife as the phone is too small for me :) I am waiting for the Note 3 or something better :)

see lag for miracast and WiDi wireless display video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-5JJhKMph8

see WiDi wireless mirroring my laptop with the netgear PTV3000 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZaDe-P_74s

What is the triangle away procedure? any link to instructions on how to do this?

TheHonkey

Jun 8, 2010
I have the rocketfish miracast adapter and it does not work with the S4 tells me hdcp is not supported by the connected device!? But the LgOG works flawlessly with it? Anyone have any idea why the s4 gives me the error message?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda premium

bubblesmoney

Jun 1, 2010
samsung galaxy s3 miracast mirroring works fine

samsung galaxy s3 miracast working fine too via this adapter. No stuttering at all for videos but same lag of about 250 milliseconds but both audio and video is fine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xkh2xbeA-qk

powerpoint slides work fine too and using the allshare cast app on the S3 powerpoint slides are shown on the TV but phone shows both slide and extra notes at bottom which isnt shown on TV. so this will be useful for presentations

one difference i noted is that video play on the S4 screen and TV but on the S3 video plays only on TV and not the phone which just shows the allshare cast app

bubblesmoney

Jun 1, 2010
I have the rocketfish miracast adapter and it does not work with the S4 tells me hdcp is not supported by the connected device!? But the LgOG works flawlessly with it? Anyone have any idea why the s4 gives me the error message?

when you first connect the adapter to your TV and your S4 detects the adapter and then you click connect for the first time, then your TV should display a code which you need to enter on your S4 and then they should connect fine and the code wont be asked when they connect again. See if this helps. Did you input the right code displayed on your TV when the dongle is connected to your TV and powered and input signal on Tv shows the dongle output.

TheHonkey

Jun 8, 2010
I dont think it asked me for a code? When I connect the rocketfish to my TV a rocketfish screen pops up with a setting button on the bottom left and some technical stuff like ssid and it says searching for peers then I flip on miracast on my s4 and it finds my TV and I connect. TV screen says connecting then connects then instead of my phone screen coming up some words come up and tells me my device doesnt support HDCP. I noticed that audio does come through like if I play YouTube I can hear the audio on my TV just no video Just a black screen.
I dunno if it's something in the rocketfish settings but I don't know how to get into the settings it doesn't come with a remote.

bubblesmoney

Jun 1, 2010
I dont think it asked me for a code? When I connect the rocketfish to my TV a rocketfish screen pops up with a setting button on the bottom left and some technical stuff like ssid and it says searching for peers then I flip on miracast on my s4 and it finds my TV and I connect. TV screen says connecting then connects then instead of my phone screen coming up some words come up and tells me my device doesnt support HDCP. I noticed that audio does come through like if I play YouTube I can hear the audio on my TV just no video Just a black screen.
I dunno if it's something in the rocketfish settings but I don't know how to get into the settings it doesn't come with a remote.

on my netgear i get this HDCP error too. First time i connected to netgear from my SGS4 the netgear input on the TV displayed a code to enter on my phone. my pone also showed a pop up box where i fed in the code. it hasnt asked me to give the code again.the same process happened when i connected my WiDi laptop to the netgear the first time. But even after feeding the code and accepting it, it still briefly brings up a HDCP error screen which is shown on my videos and then that error screen disappears and mirroring happens.

Have you rooted your phone and flashed a custom rom if so then you might be getting HDCP errors as far as i am aware and remedy is triangle away process as far as i am aware. Although i havent tried anything like that as havent needed to do it.

Reactions: TheHonkey

TheHonkey

Jun 8, 2010
I'm not rooted. Thanks for the help I'll keep fooling with it see if I have any luck. It should work the lg og connects right away so maybe there's a setting or something I am overlooking.

bubblesmoney

Jun 1, 2010
I'm not rooted. Thanks for the help I'll keep fooling with it see if I have any luck. It should work the lg og connects right away so maybe there's a setting or something I am overlooking.

when the s4 shows your adapter under miracast screen mirroring setting. click to forget device and start connection process as new device and see if you get the option to enter code and if so then it should solve the problem

TheHonkey

Jun 8, 2010
Ok so I figured out if I hold down the link on my s4 to connect to the TV I get a pop up that says pin connection the rocketfish gives a pin I enter it On my phone then it connects only problem is I get the same message.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1369004012418.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369004012418.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 399

Au999

May 12, 2013
Austin
when you first connect the adapter to your TV and your S4 detects the adapter and then you click connect for the first time, then your TV should display a code which you need to enter on your S4 and then they should connect fine and the code wont be asked when they connect again. See if this helps. Did you input the right code displayed on your TV when the dongle is connected to your TV and powered and input signal on Tv shows the dongle output.

The S4 works fine with Rocketfish's Miracast receiver. I bought one last night at Best Buy to try it out. There is no code needed, but you do need to follow the instructions provided. When connecting for the first time do the following:

1. Turn off TV.
2. Insert receiver into an available HDMI port.
3. Insert the microUSB to receiver and USB to an available USB port on the back of your TV. This is to supply power to the receiver.
4. Turn on your TV and select the input you chose for the receiver.
5. You should see the Rocketfish splash screen.
6. Enable display mirroring on your S4.
7. Hit the WPS button on the receiver.

Within a few seconds you should be connected and see your S4 screen mirrored onto your TV. I've tried the receiver in both my Samsung and Sony TV's and both connected fine without any issues.

It works ok for the most part, but I most likely will return it as it does have its flaws. If you still have trouble, remember to return to Best Buy within 15 days of purchase along with all original packaging and contents for a full refund.

Attachments

• Rocketfish.jpg
    Rocketfish.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 291

Au999

May 12, 2013
Austin
on my netgear i get this HDCP error too. First time i connected to netgear from my SGS4 the netgear input on the TV displayed a code to enter on my phone. my pone also showed a pop up box where i fed in the code. it hasnt asked me to give the code again.the same process happened when i connected my WiDi laptop to the netgear the first time. But even after feeding the code and accepting it, it still briefly brings up a HDCP error screen which is shown on my videos and then that error screen disappears and mirroring happens.

Have you rooted your phone and flashed a custom rom if so then you might be getting HDCP errors as far as i am aware and remedy is triangle away process as far as i am aware. Although i havent tried anything like that as havent needed to do it.

I have experienced the HDCP error message one time, but it was for the AppleTV using AirPlay. The same symptoms occurred: audio goes through but no video. However, the issue was I had an HDMI cable that didn't support HDCP. After I swapped out the HDMI cable the issue went away.

However, since the Rocketfish receiver is plugged directly into your TV's HDMI port and not via an HDMI cable, then I would suspect that your TV may be using non-HDCP components or you have a defective HDMI port on your TV. Try plugging it into another HDMI port or test it out on another TV to see if you have the same problem.

TheHonkey

Jun 8, 2010
I did everything you described still get the error message I posted. I purchased mine on ebay... the box mine Came in is different then your box maybe I purchased some knock off crap? On the instructions that came with it it says I need to go into settings>display>wireless display and select the SSID noted in step 1. Only problem is I have no idea how to get into the settings you can't navigate into the settings?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1369005854878.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369005854878.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 271

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I finally got down to the bottom of it. Netgear admitted that the Nexus 7 2013 is not a supported tablet at this time. I don't know why they couldn't have told that right off the bat. It works very well at 720p and if I need the full 1080p I will simply hook up my Slimport adaptor which works quite well.

PTV3000 Firmware Version 2.4.38
    Enhancements & Bug Fixes:

Fixed Fast cursor issue in Win8.1.
    Fixed WiDi E2E re-connection time too long.
    Fixed not responding to P2P probe request containing both ¡§DS Parameter IE¡¨ and ¡§WFD IE¡¨.
    Fixed 5.1 surround in Win8.1.
    Fixed Nexus 7/10 choppy audio playback.
    Add Screen Saver.
    Fixed no auto reboot after FW update.
    Fixed DNS hijack.
    Fixed ASUS MeMO Pad FHD 10 disconnect "WiFi Connection Closed" message shown on screen.
    Enable FW version display on Ready to connect screen.

I have the PTV3000 and so far I have connected my S4, Xperia ZL, Note II, S3, and my Centrino laptop.

For connecting the Note II and S3, you have to use the Samsung AllShare Cast app. It usually takes 2-3 tries to get it to connect the first time, but when it does connect to the adapter the first time subsequent connections seem to happen right away. Also, the Note II and S3 seemed to lose all wifi when connected...any data pulled from the internet seemed to need mobile data (ie. streaming Youtube means using the mobile data to get the Youtube video, and wifi is used to stream to the tv). On the S4, this limitation does not exist as both wifi and miracast works fine. I guess the S4 has an additional antenna or there is something in the ac standard that allows simultaneous transmission and download.

The range is excellent...streaming works a good 50-60 feet away. There is lag no matter how close, so I would say its not ideal for gaming, but for just sharing our screen its great.

The S4 gets really, really hot as well...say goodbye to battery life with this of course.

If you get the PTV, make sure you update the firmware as a lot of bugs were present in the previous firmware. Works great now.

PTV3000 Firmware Version 2.4.38
    Enhancements & Bug Fixes:

Fixed Fast cursor issue in Win8.1.
    Fixed WiDi E2E re-connection time too long.
    Fixed not responding to P2P probe request containing both ¡§DS Parameter IE¡¨ and ¡§WFD IE¡¨.
    Fixed 5.1 surround in Win8.1.
    Fixed Nexus 7/10 choppy audio playback.
    Add Screen Saver.
    Fixed no auto reboot after FW update.
    Fixed DNS hijack.
    Fixed ASUS MeMO Pad FHD 10 disconnect "WiFi Connection Closed" message shown on screen.
    Enable FW version display on Ready to connect screen.

I applied this fix and to my surprise the TV is showing the video cast from my Nexus 7 is 1080p! Yea!