OTA Update available now with Android 4.0.4 & Sense 4.1, next Jelly Bean & Sense 4+ ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

ossy1337

Jun 27, 2010
Aleppo
I follow trip at twitter and it seems that he makes progress, I hope he doen't give up cause it seems to be a lot of work to be done..I just wanted to know if nvidia really doesn't give a **** about a new kernel

P1n3apqlExpr3ss

Aug 16, 2011
I have a feeling that they didn't actually have a one x to photograph, or if they did their photographer wasn't up to the task. The same picture appears in a techdigest review from May, and the earliest that website shows it is in their June review. Here is the original (or at least an earlier rip or use of stock image)

http://www.techdigest.tv/2012/05/review_htc_one.html

Actually it looks more like it is a stock image and I was wrong about June being the earliest use of the photo, Kitguru had it on launch day :)

I'm the writer of the article mentioned in OP and yea it's just a stock press image from HTC. Would use my own but the One X just looks fantastic in that one

chrisjcks

Sep 26, 2010
Bolton
Any news on a release for this test build yet?

I'm ready for this OTA update now,

I'm willing to accept it. :)

lol

On a side note - does order & chaos run better on this version?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

chrisjcks

Sep 26, 2010
Bolton
how? i mean the annoying 3 dot stuff is gone, right?

and short press of recent apps brings app recent apps, long press gives menu?

Yes,

You can hold the multi tasking button to bring up the menu instead.

Or map the multi tasking button to be the menu button instead, whilst holding it down will give you the multi tasking. Etc

User preference

This fix alone means HtC need to release this update immediately, as the 3dot thing really does pee me off.

The better battery, better gpu, smoother sense are all very welcome too, but that 3dot fix makes me really want the update.

Reactions: Yod-b

Yod-b

Sep 8, 2006
Budapest
Yes,

You can hold the multi tasking button to bring up the menu instead.

Or map the multi tasking button to be the menu button instead, whilst holding it down will give you the multi tasking. Etc

User preference

This fix alone means HtC need to release this update immediately, as the 3dot thing really does pee me off.

The better battery, better gpu, smoother sense are all very welcome too, but that 3dot fix makes me really want the update.

Thanks! This is really good news! Exactly how it should be! :)

crazy88

Jun 18, 2009
Yorkshire
I can't wait for this update. I just wish there was a rough date so that I didn't have to check here so often :)

I am looking forward to the 3dot fix, especially when using whatsapp, it's rather annoying.

Nit3m4re

Nov 12, 2009
It has to be said that the 3 dot update shows HTC do listen occasionally. I guess that's reassuring in some cases, the what's next to push for fixing that isn't already fixed you recon?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

chrisjcks

Sep 26, 2010
Bolton
So when??
I not pushing the issue but do I expect it tomorrow or October?

No, I wouldn't count on it.

Users don't even have the RUU accessible yet, and OTA is usually a week later I think.

But with everyone saying how great it is, and how big of an update it is - I'd like to think HTC will push it rather quickly to users phones.

surfer1000

May 9, 2012
Wirral
Now there is talk of "Jelly Bean" coming out soon on Nexus as Android version 4.1, I was always led to beleive Jelly Bean would be numbered "5"

more2come

Oct 18, 2010
Now there is talk of "Jelly Bean" coming out soon on Nexus as Android version 4.1, I was always led to beleive Jelly Bean would be numbered "5"

My guess is that Google starts off development with a working title and decides later on whether they call it 4.1 or 5.0, depending on the amounts of changes to the whole framework.
When Google announced Gingerbread, most people thought that it would be 3.0, but it ended up being 2.3

dmestriner

Dec 20, 2010
this is the image that started the speculation :)
android-jelly-bean.jpg

Aidey68

I am sure that HTC will want to get the update out asap, as people read the likes of gsmarena, techradar amongst other site; therefore if this update shows that they can get performance improvements, then the likes of gsmarena can stop gushing about the "superor performance" of the S3.

I am sure side by side they're pretty close to the general public

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How the Sausage is Made

Let me share with you guys what goes in to developing and testing commercial s/w. I don’t know exactly how HTC approaches it but it’s a pretty standard process.

I’d guess there are different teams that work on different components of a ROM.

Plumbing– These are the nuts and bolts that support the OS calls and include things like drivers, low-level code, and the kernel. This team also liaises with third-parties like Nvidia.

Wireless - This include the radios; cellular, BT, GPS, and Wi-Fi.

Application Layer – This includes the OS, Sense 4.0, any HTC proprietary apps, bundled third-party apps (EG: Polaris) and the integration of things like the accessories (desk dock, car dock, Media Link HD).

So to release an update, multiple teams are working on various aspects of it at the same time. Each team tests their work but can only do so much with their individual pieces. As work is completed it’s glommed together in the form of a single ROM for the first time. That’s when internal testing begins in earnest. At the same time, the now complete ROM is placed in a version control system so all the teams are working on it together rather than focusing on their individual components.

Typically there’s a team of testers pulled from various departments in the company because you can’t have 10-30 people standing by to test full time because the work ebbs and flows. The test scripts that are followed are probably the size of a phone book. As issues are identified during internal testing the person overseeing testing tries to isolate it, logs it, and reports it to the team most likely responsible for resolving it. Each time a team or member of a team identifies and resolves an issue, depending on how core the issue is to the entire ROM, testing may have to start again from the very beginning of the script. This repeats dozens of times until the ROM passes internal testing cleanly.

Once internal testing’s complete testing is opened up to a broader user audience. Most likely having HTC employees and/or Elevate members starting to use the ROM on their personal devices. They provide feedback via a problem tracking system and the developers look for commonality in the problems reported and make changes to the code accordingly. If major issues are uncovered it’s back to square one which includes another full round of internal scripted testing followed by pushing the revised ROM out to the larger user group. This repeats until the ROM is deemed “acceptable.” Since no s/w is ever perfect, “acceptable” usually means shippable.

So the six-week old 2.05 test ROM passed internal testing and was distributed to a larger user group. Something must have been discovered that caused the developers to make some major changes. So it’s somewhere in the (re)testing process right now.

Like I said, this is the way s/w development is done. HTC may have their own unique spin but it’s not going to be much different than I described. So, while we want it now, we don’t always get what we want. And I’d personally rather wait until it’s done than have to suffer through some of the issues we all faced with the original shipped ROM. I'm guessing but the actual coding of an update could take anywhere from four to twelve weeks with testing always being as long (or longer) than coding. And based on the way this process works you can pretty much take as a given that JB isn’t “right around the corner.”

And that's how the sausage is made. ;)
    For those who want to download the RUU from filefactory here you go...

Filefactory Premium Account:
    User: liveacteam09@gmail.com
    Pass: www.liveac.blogspot.com
    :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC One X
    S3 trolls . Do not feed
    Saying goodbye to my One X on Monday next week, looks like I won't be able to try out this update afterall

Same here. The policarbonate back which was suppose to be un.scratchable or something like this..... Lost color in a spot plus the cc am lens get scratched easy plus its to hot... Plus a little of ripple effect ob the eges .... I might say that I gave it a shot but this hox is being sold asap and I'm gonna give s3 a go.

Got to say, I'm about to jump ship, gonna get the s3 had compare the two together but judging by the s3 forum on xda the vibe is very positive, the vibe here for the hox is more negative. I love my hox but I feel I just have to experience the s3, maybe Samsung just have better marketing but I am being lured in by the s3.

The title of this thread is "Massive HOX OTA Update coming soon with Android 4.0.4!" It’s been up until now a positive thread. I find it fascinating that, somehow, you managed to work yet another discussion of the same known One X issues and the SGS3 in to it. There are plenty of issues threads already open that welcome comments from disgruntled owners. This isn’t one of them.

Since we're OT any way, here's a link to why I canceled my SGS3 order and decided to keep the One X.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=27663514&postcount=1525

A little advice too. If some of you pull the crap you've pulled here when you're on the SGS3 forum and start polls, petitions, and whine about petty issues they'll eat you alive.
    "Samsung has a Mobile Communications Lab in San Jose, with 90 engineers who work with Google to optimize the Android OS for Samsung phones".

90 engineers to build ugly touchwizz??:D

from the ARC