[Q] 100% Original Stock ROM backup before root?

Search This thread

midnite_

Oct 30, 2012
Hi there,

I am new to xda and new to Android hacking.

What I wanna ask is, (I guess it's of most newbies concern as well), can we have a 100% backup of our system (stock ROM)? Obviously, it is important because:

1. If we perform an official (OTA) update to a new Android version. And we don't like it. It is possible to get back to the old original one which we are used to. (not everybody likes new things, and/or not every new thing is good)
  2. If our phones are having some problems. And we have to give it back to the company for a fix. In most cases they will flash a new ROM for us. If we wanna keep using the old one (explained in #1), we have to keep a copy of it by ourselves.
  3. If we want to try new custom ROMs, we may want to switch it back after trying.
  4. Whenever we do any modifications, it's always better to keep a backup/roll-back point. In case anything goes wrong, we have a safeguard.
  5. For the official warranty issue.
Yup I do see there are some official stock ROMs downloads for some particular phones. But those are not really a backup of our original ROMs. And it's always hard to verify if those downloads are the original official releases. And, if those downloads are 100% stock ROMs, this means some guys out there could make it, so what is the way to do so?

Or, how those mobile phone companies do it in their labs?

I have been doing researches on this topic for a few days. Some posts claim that their methods are "backup stock ROM" or "backup before rooting". But after digging into it, they requires rooting and/or flashing CWM. Here comes a few questions:

Questions
  1. Rooting will in fact changes some files/data of the system. So backup after root is NOT getting the original stock ROM. Is it?
  2. Is there a method to "un-root", so ALL the changes are TOTALLY reverted?
  3. Installing/flashing things like CWM in phone requires rooting, which would make the ROM not original. Is there a way to extract the system backup from a computer externally?

In addition, I have found some related pieces. which could be useful to anyone viewing this post, and might be useful for you to solve this (my) question. :fingers-crossed:

* as I'm a new user, I can't post links directly. Please delete the blank spaces in between.
  1. ht tp://www .modaco .com/topic/351269-backup-original-rom/
    In reply #5, user C3C0 raised a method of backing up the original stock ROM without root. But it seems he is flashing CWM and that method is only for ZTE Skate.
  2. adb backup tool of Android SDK
    At the first sight i came across this approach, I thought it is the official method to do whole system (ROM) backup (WOW - how nice!). But after studying for a few more posts, I think adb backup can only backup app+app_data, and possibly some system settings only. Am I correct? And also, adb backup is only for ICS (Android 4.0), isn't it?
    adb backup usage: ht tp://forum.xda-developers .com/showthread.php?t=1420351
    (But mentioned in the bottom of #1 the poster is having some issues on using adb backup. Perhaps there are some bugs and not reliable(?)

One more question on adb backup: Can it backup just one app+app_data, and restore just one app+app_data, without affecting other things? If yes, we don't need to root and don't need Titanium Backup (which requires root) for backup app+app_data. Isn't it?

** In case I have said anything or any terms wrongly in this thread, please DO correct me, for helping me and helping others. :)

P.S. i am using LG Optimus 3D.

Thanks a lot, wholeheartedly,
midnite_

r2d2-andras

Oct 30, 2012
Download CWM recovery img for your device. Start your phone in bootloader mode and connect to PC. Be sure to drivers installed correctly. Type in command line:

fastboot reboot <downloaded img>

Now, the phone will reboot and starting recovery. Make backup, that's all.

Tapatalk 2-vel küldve az én U8655-1-ről

midnite_

Oct 30, 2012
Thanks for your reply R2D2. Would you explain a bit more about the steps? When I flash CWM to my phone, will it change the ROM and that is not a stock ROM anymore? Where should I type the "fastboot reboot <downloaded img>" command?

Thanks,
midnite_

Download CWM recovery img for your device. Start your phone in bootloader mode and connect to PC. Be sure to drivers installed correctly. Type in command line:

Reactions: techie_vintage

dls2981

Dec 20, 2012
San Antonio
www.facebook.com

Doesn't this operation require rooting of the phone, or root the phone?

Imranabbas22

Jan 27, 2013
Karachi
no it won't

Thanks for your reply R2D2. Would you explain a bit more about the steps? When I flash CWM to my phone, will it change the ROM and that is not a stock ROM anymore? Where should I type the "fastboot reboot <downloaded img>" command?

Thanks,
midnite_

If you flash CWM, you will retain your stock rom unless you try to flash custom rom or updating kernel from CWM recovery or from ROM Manager. if you are using samsung android device, you can check your rom in odin mode :)

Hit thanks if I helped you!

nashton

Feb 13, 2013
Just install CWM....it won't affect your rom....in CWM choose backup in backup and restore option....it will create the backup of your current rom on sd card

Hit thanks on help

Using XDA premium through A5
My themes - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=36747522#post36747522

One issue: my phone is not listed as being supported by ROM Manager. (HW-T18, a Cat B10)

Is there any other way to get a full ROM backup before rooting, etc.?

Last edited:

danielfg87

Apr 9, 2009
holstebro
www.goblue.dk
needs help with the HW-T18 (cat B10)

One issue: my phone is not listed as being supported by ROM Manager. (HW-T18, a Cat B10)

Is there any other way to get a full ROM backup before rooting, etc.?

I'm in the same issue here, looking for a way to backup/extract the stock rom of the HW-T18, cat B10 model, for the purpose of flashing it to other B10's since several of the cat b10's we bought here is without danish and a few has the danish system language.

so i want to take the rom from the b10 with danish and flash to the ones without.

if there is a better way of adding a system language to the phone please let me know (apk maybe ? or flashing an update.zip containing the danish lang) but do remember i'm not a dev i just have ORD.

Last edited:

johnoo

Dec 10, 2008
Bratislava
cwm recovery backup flash new flash back delete cwm recovery servis

Hi Guys,
I understand that cwm recovery will not affect my stock rom. Here is an example what could I need:
I have new galaxy chat with ICS, I will install cwm recovery, create backup of stock (slovak) rom improve rom to some 4.1.2 spain rom and if it won't be good or have some hardware problem I will install again my stock rom but what with cwm recovery. Will it work this way?
Return To Stock Recovery

1. Download StockRecovery.zip
2. Place StockRecovery.zip on your SD Card
3. Boot into CWM Recovery
4. Tap on Install
5. Find StockRecovery.zip file on your SD card.
6. Slide to Flash
7. Reboot System & Enjoy Stock Recovery Again!

or not
thank you

coolprateek.kumar

Sep 24, 2012
Bhagalpur
Hi Guys,
I understand that cwm recovery will not affect my stock rom. Here is an example what could I need:
I have new galaxy chat with ICS, I will install cwm recovery, create backup of stock (slovak) rom improve rom to some 4.1.2 spain rom and if it won't be good or have some hardware problem I will install again my stock rom but what with cwm recovery. Will it work this way?
Return To Stock Recovery

4. Tap on Install
6. Slide to Flash

or not
thank you

Why would you need stock recovery back anyway?

glorymyrrh

Jun 18, 2013
reply and request

I want to know how to backup full rom because me too have an a103 sc6820 mt6515 android 4.0.1 clone SIII dual sim and trying to root then its bricked. So i have found an another phone which have the same system like for mine and i would try to backup the rom for:confused: the new and to restore this to the bricked. :confused:

reggjoo

Jul 12, 2011
Pgh
Motorola Edge
Every device has it's own cwm or twrp recovery....google "cwm for .........(your phone)

That's not correct, not every phone has a clockworkmod built for it, my phone is a alcatel authority, and not only is there no clockworkmod, but the newest update.zip, unroots it, and sorceforge only has the the stock update. In any case the manufacturer has put the wrong id's into their usb drivers for it. You can't even use the clockworkmod builder, for it. The only phones that get support, are the more popular models.

coolprateek.kumar

Sep 24, 2012
Bhagalpur
That's not correct, not every phone has a clockworkmod built for it, my phone is a alcatel authority, and not only is there no clockworkmod, but the newest update.zip, unroots it, and sorceforge only has the the stock update. In any case the manufacturer has put the wrong id's into their usb drivers for it. You can't even use the clockworkmod builder, for it. The only phones that get support, are the more popular models.

I meant that every phone who HAS a cwm has it for that particular phone.

Hit thanks for help

iamnived

Nov 17, 2013

How to start phone in bootloader mode and where to type that command?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi there,

I am new to xda and new to Android hacking.

What I wanna ask is, (I guess it's of most newbies concern as well), can we have a 100% backup of our system (stock ROM)? Obviously, it is important because:

1. If we perform an official (OTA) update to a new Android version. And we don't like it. It is possible to get back to the old original one which we are used to. (not everybody likes new things, and/or not every new thing is good)
    2. If our phones are having some problems. And we have to give it back to the company for a fix. In most cases they will flash a new ROM for us. If we wanna keep using the old one (explained in #1), we have to keep a copy of it by ourselves.
    3. If we want to try new custom ROMs, we may want to switch it back after trying.
    4. Whenever we do any modifications, it's always better to keep a backup/roll-back point. In case anything goes wrong, we have a safeguard.
    5. For the official warranty issue.
    Yup I do see there are some official stock ROMs downloads for some particular phones. But those are not really a backup of our original ROMs. And it's always hard to verify if those downloads are the original official releases. And, if those downloads are 100% stock ROMs, this means some guys out there could make it, so what is the way to do so?

Or, how those mobile phone companies do it in their labs?

I have been doing researches on this topic for a few days. Some posts claim that their methods are "backup stock ROM" or "backup before rooting". But after digging into it, they requires rooting and/or flashing CWM. Here comes a few questions:

Questions
    1. Rooting will in fact changes some files/data of the system. So backup after root is NOT getting the original stock ROM. Is it?
    2. Is there a method to "un-root", so ALL the changes are TOTALLY reverted?
    3. Installing/flashing things like CWM in phone requires rooting, which would make the ROM not original. Is there a way to extract the system backup from a computer externally?

In addition, I have found some related pieces. which could be useful to anyone viewing this post, and might be useful for you to solve this (my) question. :fingers-crossed:

* as I'm a new user, I can't post links directly. Please delete the blank spaces in between.
    1. ht tp://www .modaco .com/topic/351269-backup-original-rom/
      In reply #5, user C3C0 raised a method of backing up the original stock ROM without root. But it seems he is flashing CWM and that method is only for ZTE Skate.
    2. adb backup tool of Android SDK
      At the first sight i came across this approach, I thought it is the official method to do whole system (ROM) backup (WOW - how nice!). But after studying for a few more posts, I think adb backup can only backup app+app_data, and possibly some system settings only. Am I correct? And also, adb backup is only for ICS (Android 4.0), isn't it?
      adb backup usage: ht tp://forum.xda-developers .com/showthread.php?t=1420351
      (But mentioned in the bottom of #1 the poster is having some issues on using adb backup. Perhaps there are some bugs and not reliable(?)

One more question on adb backup: Can it backup just one app+app_data, and restore just one app+app_data, without affecting other things? If yes, we don't need to root and don't need Titanium Backup (which requires root) for backup app+app_data. Isn't it?

** In case I have said anything or any terms wrongly in this thread, please DO correct me, for helping me and helping others. :)

P.S. i am using LG Optimus 3D.

Thanks a lot, wholeheartedly,
    midnite_
    Just install CWM....it won't affect your rom....in CWM choose backup in backup and restore option....it will create the backup of your current rom on sd card

Hit thanks on help

Using XDA premium through A5
    My themes - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=36747522#post36747522

no it won't

Thanks,
    midnite_

If you flash CWM, you will retain your stock rom unless you try to flash custom rom or updating kernel from CWM recovery or from ROM Manager. if you are using samsung android device, you can check your rom in odin mode :)

Hit thanks if I helped you!
    cwm recovery backup flash new flash back delete cwm recovery servis

Hi Guys,
    Return To Stock Recovery

4. Tap on Install
    6. Slide to Flash

or not
    thank you