Stock DL17 ODIN Image With Root

Search This thread

pastorbennett

Mar 12, 2010
Minnesota
I notices a few users have mentioned that they're dealing with trying to restore or unbrick their Continuum after flashing incompatible kernels and other problems.

I made this backup immediately after I got root, before I did anything else, to make absolutely sure I wouldn't be SOL if anything went awry. I've made absolutely certain this works, by unzipping and flashing on my own Continuum prior to uploading. It contains the system, recovery, and kernel partitions.

This file is also helpful if you need to get back to stock for warranty purposes, in which case you can manually un-root by using your favorite file explorer (I happen to prefer ES File Explorer), grant root permissions, mount system as rw, then manually delete SuperUser from /system/apps, su from /system/bin, and busybox from /systen/xbin. I hope this helps some of you who have been stuck.

You don't need to be rooted to flash this. Simply unzip, flash the .tar.md5, and you're golden. If you end up in restore mode after flashing, you probably need to do a hard reset, but this is unlikely as I tested it by flashing this a few times after installing various programs from the Market and never had to do a hard reset.

Don't forget to put your phone in Download mode by removing the battery, then holding the vol down button while inserting the usb cable. Good luck!

http://www.mediafire.com/?a897dbakz4j7k4f

kingtuk1

Nov 21, 2010
I ran this and everything passed then when i boot up the phone with animations and sound after the animated verizonwireless logo is up for a while; everything goes black.

any suggestions? never mind I had to do a wipe then it worked

Last edited:

pastorbennett

Mar 12, 2010
Minnesota
I ran this and everything passed then when i boot up the phone with animations and sound after the animated verizonwireless logo is up for a while; everything goes black.

any suggestions? never mind I had to do a wipe then it worked

Yup, gotta wipe! At first it's so easy to forget this step. When you get to customizing your installation, you'll get to used to having to wipe it'll become second nature!

Native89

Aug 9, 2011
Maui, Hawaii
Ok after having installed EC03 Froyo via imnuts's thread. Everything was going fine except for some bugs here and there. Fast forward a couple weeks later and I try to fix those bugs by installing a stock odin rom via torque's thread (seems so foolish now that I look back on it). Which brings me to today and my bricked Continuum.

Well to explain further I tried to install the odin Rom only to receive a FAIL in the end (Selected the md5 file through the PDA option and proceeded to flash). Disconnected afterwards only to find out I can't even get the Samsung logo to show up or the phone to charge, but the phone will still go into download mode.

And this leads me to this thread with the same outcome. I've tried flashing this eclair? image only to end up with the fail message again. After the recovery.bin stage it just says "Complete(write) operation failed." Any help with this matter would be appreciated.

Edit: After some searching, gonna try it with imnuts' DL17 image. Will post results.
Edit2: No luck with that either. Guess I'll just wait until the Bionic gets released, but for now I'll have to dig up my dumbphone.

Last edited:

Moon Shadow - NM

Jul 14, 2011
Albuquerque
Ok after having installed EC03 Froyo via imnuts's thread. Everything was going fine except for some bugs here and there. Fast forward a couple weeks later and I try to fix those bugs by installing a stock odin rom via torque's thread (seems so foolish now that I look back on it). Which brings me to today and my bricked Continuum.

Well to explain further I tried to install the odin Rom only to receive a FAIL in the end (Selected the md5 file through the PDA option and proceeded to flash). Disconnected afterwards only to find out I can't even get the Samsung logo to show up or the phone to charge, but the phone will still go into download mode.

And this leads me to this thread with the same outcome. I've tried flashing this eclair? image only to end up with the fail message again. After the recovery.bin stage it just says "Complete(write) operation failed." Any help with this matter would be appreciated.

Edit: After some searching, gonna try it with imnuts' DL17 image. Will post results.
Edit2: No luck with that either. Guess I'll just wait until the Bionic gets released, but for now I'll have to dig up my dumbphone.

Read the OP from pastorbennett here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1203597 and try the unbrick process. You can do a search for pastorbennett and trailblazer. Both have posted "recovery processes", or at least links to others that have posted recovery processes. :D They've saved my butt a couple of times... Except on my first phone that wouldn't go into DL or Recovery Mode. It would just flash the Samsung logo, over, and over, and over again... That happened before pastorbennett posted the unbrick info. Oh well, Verizon replaced it under the hardware warranty. Thankfully.

Last edited:
Reactions: Native89

Native89

Aug 9, 2011
Maui, Hawaii
Looks like I didn't search hard enough.
Thanks for the link Moon. I will be trying this ASAP.

Hit a little bit of a snag trying to get it to work. It told me to install drivers for my device, however my Phone does not show up in the dropbox and the only related thing I can find is "Gadget Serial".

I've tried uninstalling the drivers, but Win7 is being a fool and automatically installing drivers for me.

zzir

Aug 24, 2011
Does anyone know why i get a 'FAILED' after trying to flash this with Odin? My phone is soft-bricked btw.

Last edited:

Moon Shadow - NM

Jul 14, 2011
Albuquerque
Looks like I didn't search hard enough.
Thanks for the link Moon. I will be trying this ASAP.

Hit a little bit of a snag trying to get it to work. It told me to install drivers for my device, however my Phone does not show up in the dropbox and the only related thing I can find is "Gadget Serial".

I've tried uninstalling the drivers, but Win7 is being a fool and automatically installing drivers for me.

Okay, if you can, grab a different computer (either Windows XP or Windows 7) and install the samsung drivers from this post: http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1203597. The hint here with ANY Windows computer is to install the device drivers FIRST! (I've been a system administrator for about 20 years.) Then plug in the hardware. It usually makes the installations go MUCH smoother.

If you have to use your computer, try installing the Samsung drivers first, then plug the phone in.

Does anyone know why i get a 'FAILED' after trying to flash this with Odin? My phone is soft-bricked btw.

The key to odin seems to be this:
1. Start odin.
2. Click the PDA button and select the odin TAR or MD5 file. (You can only do one. Not both.)
3. Make sure the phone is not plugged into the computer.
4. Make doubly sure the phone is not plugged into the computer.
5. Put your phone into download mode. (With the phone off, hold the Volume Down button and turn the phone on.)
6. Then plug the phone into the computer.
7. Start the odin flash and you should be good to go. Also, before unplugging the phone, make sure it says either success or failed. If it doesn't say anything, or says loading (or something like that), WALK AWAY! Go get yourself a cup of coffee, a soda, a nice cup of tea... Something. I recommend waiting at least 10 minutes. If the progress bar has not moved, in that time, okay, then pull the cable and the battery and start again.

Tarheel487

Aug 13, 2011
I tried to do this, but when it boots into recovery mode, it says update.zip is gone. Any ideas why this might be happening? Also if it's like this, will Verizon take it back within the 14 day return policy without charging me anything?

trailblazer101

Dec 17, 2010
Pennsylvania
Yes, you can use heimdall, you just need to extract this .tar and put the extracted files in the corresponding location in heimdall xD

Sent from my SCH-I400 using xda premium

ntien

Apr 17, 2011
yeah i saw that but in heimdall 1.3 the UI is different. i don't know where to put any of the stuff. i have the .tar but i dont know where to put the other stuff. here's a screenshot

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I notices a few users have mentioned that they're dealing with trying to restore or unbrick their Continuum after flashing incompatible kernels and other problems.

I made this backup immediately after I got root, before I did anything else, to make absolutely sure I wouldn't be SOL if anything went awry. I've made absolutely certain this works, by unzipping and flashing on my own Continuum prior to uploading. It contains the system, recovery, and kernel partitions.

This file is also helpful if you need to get back to stock for warranty purposes, in which case you can manually un-root by using your favorite file explorer (I happen to prefer ES File Explorer), grant root permissions, mount system as rw, then manually delete SuperUser from /system/apps, su from /system/bin, and busybox from /systen/xbin. I hope this helps some of you who have been stuck.

You don't need to be rooted to flash this. Simply unzip, flash the .tar.md5, and you're golden. If you end up in restore mode after flashing, you probably need to do a hard reset, but this is unlikely as I tested it by flashing this a few times after installing various programs from the Market and never had to do a hard reset.

Don't forget to put your phone in Download mode by removing the battery, then holding the vol down button while inserting the usb cable. Good luck!

http://www.mediafire.com/?a897dbakz4j7k4f
    Not a problem, glad I could help!

Read the OP from pastorbennett here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1203597 and try the unbrick process. You can do a search for pastorbennett and trailblazer. Both have posted "recovery processes", or at least links to others that have posted recovery processes. :D They've saved my butt a couple of times... Except on my first phone that wouldn't go into DL or Recovery Mode. It would just flash the Samsung logo, over, and over, and over again... That happened before pastorbennett posted the unbrick info. Oh well, Verizon replaced it under the hardware warranty. Thankfully.
    You need to go to flash, then go to the drop down menu...

Sent from my SCH-I400 using xda premium