[Q] How to block B&N 1.41 update?

Search This thread

clnook

Dec 2, 2011
B&N has announced 1.41 will be automatically rollling out to Tablet starting yesterday actually and early reports indicate it prevents sideloading of non B&N apps.

Is there a known method to block the 1.41 update?

Thanks!

yaggermr

Jan 2, 2011
Required Apps:
- Root Explorer (in market)
- SQLite Editor (in market)

Process:
1. Open Root Explorer
2. Open devicemanager.db from (/data/data/com.bn.devicemanager/databases/devicemanager.db)
3. Select "registry" - this should open up a spreadsheet looking file
4. Find row: com.bn.device.fota.mode
5. Drag over to the column labeled "value"
6. Press and hold "auto" until the "Actions" window pops up
7. Select "Edit Field"
8. Replace auto with manual
9. Select "Save"

not my post just info from forums how to block otas the easy way.

JoeM01

Nov 18, 2011
source that an update is coming to the Nook Tablet? And source for these early reports?

Only updates I'm seeing are for the Nook Color.

clnook

Dec 2, 2011
It has been posted on the official Barnes & Noble community forums.

hxxp://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Tablet-General-Discussion/Software-Update-1-4-1-posted/td-p/1242366/jump-to/first-unread-message

kes00601

Nov 29, 2011
Well, if that's the case I'll probably be giving up the NT and will let the school I work for have it to go along w/their 5 NCs.

Zydraka

Dec 12, 2010
The update does indeed close off the installation of 3rd party apps. I'd post a link to it but it won't let me.

JoeM01

Nov 18, 2011
before everyone starts jumping off the wagon, how about someone verifies if they've received their update, and then attempts to sideload. there's nothing on there that CONFIRMS it, just speculation.

jimmysuggs

Nov 16, 2011
So can anyone actually confirm that changing the "com.bn.device.fota.mode" from auto to manual actually works and that it successfully blocked the 1.41 update?

I've seen a lot of threads about using that method, but no actual posts about whether it works or not. Just a lot of mentions about how theoretically it should, etc.

I made the change I've got my fingers crossed that my nook won't update, but I won't know for sure until I'm back home where there's wifi. Until then, just wondering if anyone out there can confirm that this method of blocking OTAs actually works.

clnook

Dec 2, 2011
So can anyone actually confirm that changing the "com.bn.device.fota.mode" from auto to manual actually works and that it successfully blocked the 1.41 update?

I've seen a lot of threads about using that method, but no actual posts about whether it works or not. Just a lot of mentions about how theoretically it should, etc.

I made the change I've got my fingers crossed that my nook won't update, but I won't know for sure until I'm back home where there's wifi. Until then, just wondering if anyone out there can confirm that this method of blocking OTAs actually works.
Yes, that's the 64k question. Hoping we have a volunteer who is willing to take the risk. Apparently this is an automatic update with no prior warning and you are not prompted whether to accept or deny the update.

iansquared

Oct 29, 2010
Yes, I can personally confirm that the update does indeed disable sideload apps. It also removes root access.

Zydraka

Dec 12, 2010
Just to confirm, my sideloaded apps still work, they just made it so you can't install any new ones...

jimmysuggs

Nov 16, 2011
Just to confirm, my sideloaded apps still work, they just made it so you can't install any new ones...

Well this is good news anyhow.

I'm not suggesting that I'm in any way pleased with this turn of events, but it's good that we can at least continue to use the apps we've already installed.

And with any luck, otas will be blocked via the fota method and this will all be moot.

moose_tracker

Dec 3, 2011
This is from the B&N forum.. about the update.

I can tell you one thing that was fixed. My Nook is NOT rooted, but I have installed GoLauncher on my Nook and have the Amazon store. After the update, I can still open this home screen in the usual way and even have an app that opens up that launcher instead of Nook when pressing the "n" button. I can still open up the Amazon Market, HOWEVER, when attempting to install apps from Amazon, I now get an error message that says, "Install blocked. For security reasons, only apps purchased through the NOOK shop can be installed".... ARGHHHH. Very little in the Nook market is free, but many things in Amazon are.

The update allows previously sideloaded apps from the amazon app store to continue working, but it prevents you from sideloading additional apps.

I have yet to unwrap the nook as I bought it for christmas.. Question is can I root straight out of the box, before I get this update?..

I was so excited about the Nook purchase, now I feel that a return is needed using the extended christmas return policy for present purchasing.. I guess I will need to, if I now am unable to root..

I wasn't even going to root, I was going to be content with side-loading. Now I fear I can do neither..

The glitter is gone of my christmas present!:(

JoeM01

Nov 18, 2011
Well, if they plugged that hole, then mine is going back. Sorry, it's bad enough that the bootloader is locked, and I give all the credit in the world to the developers working on cracking this, but it's bull****. I've been holding off returning it because it at least does what I want it to do now.

If for some reason, I screw something up and need to do a restore, I'm not going to be **** out of luck with a nook tablet that I can't put my most used apps onto.

---------- Post added at 10:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 AM ----------

And don't get me wrong, as a person who works in Finance, I TOTALLY understand this move on B&N's part. It's just that now the device no longer fits my needs.

jimmysuggs

Nov 16, 2011
Eh, worse come to worse, people can just throw their tablets on ebay or craigslist. They won't get full price but they'll do pretty well. I see it as basically renting the tablet for the time you have it. Nice while you have it, then get as much as you can for it and move on.

2012 will be the year of the tablet and in 6 months there will more 7 inch tablets on the market than anyone will know what to do with. They won't all be great, but there will be enough good ones that we won't have to settle for a ridiculously locked down device like the nook, just to get decent battery life and expandable storage, etc.

I think Barnes and Noble are gonna find out that if you want the tablet market, you have to actually release a tablet that's comparable with everything else out there. B&N is not Apple. They actually have to work to win customers. And this sure as hell isn't the way to do it.

moose_tracker

Dec 3, 2011
So if the answer is to return, can anyone recommend a tablet (not kindle) that is around 350.. Sigh, I prefered this size to a 10" but guess I can not get the best of all worlds.. Iwill live with inconvient size to rebel against control.

thunder33cat

May 16, 2007
Well, if they plugged that hole, then mine is going back. Sorry, it's bad enough that the bootloader is locked, and I give all the credit in the world to the developers working on cracking this, but it's bull****. I've been holding off returning it because it at least does what I want it to do now.

If for some reason, I screw something up and need to do a restore, I'm not going to be **** out of luck with a nook tablet that I can't put my most used apps onto....

And don't get me wrong, as a person who works in Finance, I TOTALLY understand this move on B&N's part. It's just that now the device no longer fits my needs.

I agree. Bought three of these as family gifts because I could sideload easily without rooting. I rooted my NC, but have no interest in doing and managing that for 4 family NTs. We will have 4 that will go back because they, again - no longer fit with our needs.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Required Apps:
    - Root Explorer (in market)
    - SQLite Editor (in market)

Process:
    1. Open Root Explorer
    2. Open devicemanager.db from (/data/data/com.bn.devicemanager/databases/devicemanager.db)
    3. Select "registry" - this should open up a spreadsheet looking file
    4. Find row: com.bn.device.fota.mode
    5. Drag over to the column labeled "value"
    6. Press and hold "auto" until the "Actions" window pops up
    7. Select "Edit Field"
    8. Replace auto with manual
    9. Select "Save"

not my post just info from forums how to block otas the easy way.
    Hi Friends. Like all of you I am upset by 1.41 update. Thankfully so far it hasn’t gotten to me and I have my wireless off that said I am wondering if someone in the know can give us some fast blocks that will work until this mess gets straightened out. Can we get a step by step detail of what works such as:

Un-rooted to block 1.41 update:
    1. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1402540

Rooted to block 1.41 update:
    1. Indirect's root and debloater installs FOTAKill with gapps

If you already have been hit by 1.41 do:
    1. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1402190 and (see above)

Talk about spoon fed.

Don't be a douche, if you're not posting to help then don't post at all.
    I'm half tempted to take back my NT and just get a refurbished NC now for $130.

Nah don't do that. This is XDA-Developers not XDA-Giveupwhenthemanufactueresdosomethingthatupsetsus.

Yeah, it takes a little time to do the work but if we didn't like it or if it was easy we wouldn't be here spending the time doing it.
    Thwarted again! I went back to 1.4.0 using the magic SD card method and tried installing the Hidden Setting App over in development, then went back to 1.4.1 to see if that app would provide a workaround for the problem. The funny thing is the app does work and even let's you check the box to enable 3rd-party installs. But B&N's block overrides it still. Trying to install an app results in the same old message...

BTW, when I used the magic SD card to go back to 1.4.0 it made my "n" button not work. I went to settings via the quick settings menu and did another factory reset, which took several tries because it kept force-closing. Then it was good to go after that.