Interesting reply from Asus

Search This thread

Thats OK

Jul 29, 2012
Yoop that's Tien from Asus he replies to a lot of the unsatisfied reviews on Amazon.
I've e-mailed him a few times he always answers in a personal manner.

Thats OK

Jul 29, 2012
Well I'll give them/him credit for the personal touch. Any truth to the factory reset/cold boot suggestions? I don't even know how to do either of those lol.

<------giant NEWB

LOL hang in there!
They say the cold boot accomplishes nothing.
All I know is it has fixed my app bugs more often than not.

To do the boot:
Press the power button to shut off the tab\select turn off tablet.
After completely off:
Press and hold volume + rocker (side toward power button)
While holding volume + press and hold power button till tab vibrates look for small white letters in upper right corner.
Release power button...you will see RCK Android and USB.
If you do nothing the tab will boot back to Android in 5 seconds or so.

Then you will have cold booted.

The below is copied from the all in one guide here in the general section...
** Cold Boot - FastBoot - Wipe Data Menu **
Press Volume Down + Power untill you see a white text on the screen then release the buttons.Use Volume Down to navigate and Volume Up to confirm your selection.
You have 10 seconds to make your choice,or else the system will do a Cold Boot by default.

Reactions: Soul TKR

Soul TKR

Jun 19, 2011
Seattle, WA
www.wesvfx.com
LOL hang in there!

To do the boot:
After completely off:
While holding volume + press and hold power button till tab vibrates look for small white letters in upper right corner.

Press Volume Down + Power untill you see a white text on the screen then release the buttons.Use Volume Down to navigate and Volume Up to confirm your selection.
You have 10 seconds to make your choice,or else the system will do a Cold Boot by default.

What's the RCK selection do?

snypa

Nov 24, 2012
for easy cold boots i recommend Quick Reboot and select to reboot to bootloader - and don't do anything else! i like cold booting;)

snypa

Nov 24, 2012
Looks like you need Root access...

sorry Soul , I did not realise you were on stock . Rooting is awsum!

no seriously, it is the same as having admin on windows, which everyone knows you shouldn't but you do anyway because without it you are screwed!

+1 CROMI and it is already rooted and lightyears away from anything ASUS is seemingly capable of , actual user experience is off the chart and you will actually enjoy using your paperweight!

Reactions: Cheapxj

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012

A cold boot is any boot from power off. So the easy procedure for cold booting is:
* Turn power off
* Turn power on

Until someone posts with a technical explanation what the detour via the bootloader menu would do differently, I claim that the effect of both methods is exactly the same.

Soul TKR

Jun 19, 2011
Seattle, WA
www.wesvfx.com

no seriously, it is the same as having admin on windows, which everyone knows you shouldn't but you do anyway because without it you are screwed!

+1 CROMI and it is already rooted and lightyears away from anything ASUS is seemingly capable of , actual user experience is off the chart and you will actually enjoy using your paperweight!

Yea I wanna root/unlock really bad. Just not too crazy to since you lose your warranty. Plus my wife is out of state right now with our laptop and I have no computer access. Probably won't for another couple months. Kinda hoping NvFlash will be back up and running by then...

snypa

Nov 24, 2012
Yea I wanna root/unlock really bad. Just not too crazy to since you lose your warranty. Plus my wife is out of state right now with our laptop and I have no computer access. Probably won't for another couple months. Kinda hoping NvFlash will be back up and running by then...

you only live once and you lose your warranty anyway ... choice is only now or later ... luckily XDA is a wealth of knowledge! some of the devs and hackers here are simply amazing! goodluck

snypa

Nov 24, 2012
same same but different...

A cold boot is any boot from power off. So the easy procedure for cold booting is:
* Turn power off
* Turn power on

Until someone posts with a technical explanation what the detour via the bootloader menu would do differently, I claim that the effect of both methods is exactly the same.

the technical difference is i turn the tablet on and off - ie: cold boot - with one touch of a widget , without having to touch the hard keys at all...
as opposed to a warm reboot , thats a different widget! ;)

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

Yea you are right... lot's of resources here!

It's the "bricked my Infinity" threads that have me nervous LOL

yeh , alot of them just don't read and the rest were / are the true pioneers !

MartyHulskemper

Jun 5, 2008
* Turn power off
* Turn power on

I too believe it gives exactly the same result. I always do it by pressing the power button, but I guess some people might really like the app method. <taptap> ;)

snypa

Nov 24, 2012
I too believe it gives exactly the same result. I always do it by pressing the power button, but I guess some people might really like the app method. <taptap> ;)

its just the damn screen is so silky smooth and sexy! I just can't keep my hands off it! lol :D

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

i thought the cold boot was built in to the os for custom setups where the screen is built in and no hardware keys were accessible?

:confused:

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012
It's the "bricked my Infinity" threads that have me nervous
LOL

I think all of them made the mistake of choosing "wipe data" while having an old recovery installed that was not compatible with their (JB) bootloader.

If you don't do that, and you always boot manually into the recovery using the bootloader menu after first installing a new recovery, you should be safe.

I thought an asus cold boot was the same as wiping the cache partition. Where as a normal off and on power boot does not achieve this?

Code:
that@ws ~ $ adb shell
root@android:/ # echo 'sbdags is wrong' > /cache/test

reboot... using the bootloader menu and doing nothing... "cold booting in 10 seconds"

Code:
that@ws ~ $ adb shell
root@android:/ # cat /cache/test
sbdags is wrong

No, it doesn't wipe the cache partition. :D

sbdags

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
I think all of them made the mistake of choosing "wipe data" while having an old recovery installed that was not compatible with their (JB) bootloader.

If you don't do that, and you always boot manually into the recovery using the bootloader menu after first installing a new recovery, you should be safe.

Code:
that@ws ~ $ adb shell

reboot... using the bootloader menu and doing nothing... "cold booting in 10 seconds"

Code:
that@ws ~ $ adb shell
sbdags is wrong

Lol! Thanks for that! There is no emoticon for giving the bird. :victory:

So what does a cold boot actually do then?

Reactions: snypa

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's the "bricked my Infinity" threads that have me nervous
    LOL

I thought an asus cold boot was the same as wiping the cache partition. Where as a normal off and on power boot does not achieve this?

Code:
    that@ws ~ $ adb shell

Code:
    that@ws ~ $ adb shell
    sbdags is wrong

Well I'll give them/him credit for the personal touch. Any truth to the factory reset/cold boot suggestions? I don't even know how to do either of those lol.

<------giant NEWB

LOL hang in there!

To do the boot:
    After completely off:

Looks like you need Root access...

Code:
    that@ws ~ $ adb shell

Code:
    that@ws ~ $ adb shell
    sbdags is wrong

Lol! Thanks for that! There is no emoticon for giving the bird. :victory:

So what does a cold boot actually do then?
    OMG... this tablet is getting worse and worse. It soooooo slow and lags BAD. Thing is a little over a month old! I'm baffled they could even release this thing with this many issues.

As soon as I have access to a computer (not for another month or so) I'm definitely going to root this thing. It's ridiculous... :mad:

Well what's installed on it?
    Try the stock Asus task killer.

Is Force GPU rendering turned on in tablet settings?
    Has Adobe flash been sideloaded if your on JB?
    Can you see a difference if performance mode is enabled?
    Open the stock browser type "about:debug" into the URL address space/go to settings for the browser (3 dots upper right) scroll down to settings and open.
    Tick /Light touch and Enable cpu upload path

Just a few tips in case you haven't tried them yet.
    Rooting of course will provide many more tweaks.

Hope the tablet starts running better for you.