bought a device that has been blocked by T-Mobile

Search This thread

iphantomi

Dec 30, 2012
Hey guys
My country(Pakistan) does not have 4g yet so samsung did not officially release the 4g model. However, as I read a lot about how much the 4g version is better than the regular version, I decided to get one even if it meant no warranty.

I looked around the local markets and found only the t-mobile version available. I asked the retailer about it and he insisted that it is factory unlocked. I bought it and had to leave the country for 2 weeks.

So here I am in a foreign country with my new phone. I buy an internet sim card and use the 4g network. It works fine. I find out my phone has supersu installed. This makes me suspicious. Out of curiosity, I check t-mobiles imei check service. Turns out my device has been blocked by t-mobile. I can only guess it has been unlocked through software.

Other than this, the phone seems to be working great. It looks brand new with box/original accessories et al. In my one and a half week of usage, it seems to be working fine too. Only problem I found was that upon trying to update, I got the message that it was unable to do that because my software has been modified.

Once I return to my country, I will definitely have a word with the retailer, however the chances of him accepting and returning the phone are slim. Chances are, I'm stuck with the device.

My question, how bad of a position am I in? Will I be unable to flash future updates even manually? Is there risk that I could lose the software unlock?

I ask this because even if the retailer returns the device(1% chance), I will still need to go through the trouble of looking for another device. And as I said, this one seems to have no other defect. The silverlining though, is that this device came rooted...which saves me the trouble to do it myself.

Please guide me as to what my best course of action would be.

Thank you in advance =)

Tiffany84

Inactive Recognized Themer
Jul 27, 2010
The reason it won't allow you to update is because it's rooted. That's what it's talking about when it says it's been modified. All you have to do is use Odin to flash back to complete stock and you will be able to update. If the phone is sim unlocked, flashing or updating the phone should not effect the unlock.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk 4

iphantomi

Dec 30, 2012
Ok. But the phone's IMEI appears as 'blocked' on t-mobiles imei verification website. Doesnt that mean this is a phone that has not been factory unlocked but software unlocked? Why else would someone root a brand new phone?

Also, given I do not want to lose my root, how should I update to new versions of android without losing my unlock?

devynbf

Oct 20, 2012
The reason why the IMEI is blocked is probably because the device was stolen/taken.

The reason why it will not update automatically is because the device is rooted.
If you have a rooted device, you have to wait for someone to post the official update and then flash it through ODIN/TWRP.

The retailer will do nothing for you, there's nothing he CAN do unless he gives you a full refund for the device.

This sort of thing happens a lot when you buy devices from people / 3rd party retailers.

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

iphantomi

Dec 30, 2012
Well I doubt it was stolen. It was brand new with box and all accessories. He had dozens more in stock. More likely someone is buying contract phones from tmobile and selling them witbkut paying the full contract.

How hard will it be to upgrade new roms for me? Could I lose my unlock in the process?

Edit: also, im reading a lot about how all versions of the n9005 come region locked. Since it isnt officially available in pakistan, does that mean I will need to unlock my phone regardless of where I buy it from?

Last edited:

flipq88

Aug 11, 2011
Since it's rooted, you can always just flash custom roms based off whatever update comes out.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Rickdaddy

Nov 5, 2011
If it's blacklisted then it won't work with any T-Mobile services if you're in the US or whatever. As stated, once rooted you won't be able to update the phone through the software update from the phone. However, you're now free to flash any of the awesome roms that is out for the Note 3 and use it over there.

devynbf

Oct 20, 2012
Well I doubt it was stolen. It was brand new with box and all accessories. He had dozens more in stock. More likely someone is buying contract phones from tmobile and selling them witbkut paying the full contract.

How hard will it be to upgrade new roms for me? Could I lose my unlock in the process?

Edit: also, im reading a lot about how all versions of the n9005 come region locked. Since it isnt officially available in pakistan, does that mean I will need to unlock my phone regardless of where I buy it from?

Yea, he probably opened a bunch of accounts, payed the down payments for the phones ($0-$100) and now he's selling em full price.

And with the updating.

When a new update comes out, developers will make a rom from it, and then you can just flash the rom.

You will NOT lose unlock when flashing a rom.

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

iphantomi

Dec 30, 2012
And are all note 3 region locked? If I get a refund, will I need to unlock any new phone I buy as well?

Last edited: