[ROM][UNOFFICIAL] CyanogenMod 11 [Android 4.4.4]

Search This thread

WinSuk

Jan 18, 2011
winsuk.net
Here is a new and completely unexpected challenge. I Installed cm-11-20141025-NIGHTLY-liberty.zip from the scratch. And of course, the first thing to do is to install an app. In order to do so I run its File Manager, tap on .apk file and got the response - "There is no app registered to handle the type of file selected" ... And there seems to be no way to set that file association. Full stop now :(
Reboot... The package installer probably didn't compile

Reactions: dagwoodmash

xd0

Dec 26, 2010
Reboot... The package installer probably didn't compile
Thank you, @WinSuk. It worked. Actually I made backup of that new install yesterday and after restoring today File Manager recognized .apk extension. First thing to install is Link2SD v3.5.2. Then all new apps go (are linked) to ext2 partition...

The reason I tried to install new CM11 ROM from the scratch was - suddenly I've noticed, that Superuser app has disappeared from my access. It's similar to what I've mentioned earlier - apps may disappeared, but after reboot they may come back. But in this case I made several reboots and still not see it... Permissions were kept correctly (apps, that were granted root access before still have it), but I can't grant root access to new apps anymore or see log of root access requests.

Then I tried to install SuperUser-3.1.3.apk (1,468,798; MD5: E0BC7B7284B68C9539B6EC6B306310E0) directly. It installs without errors, but it becomes somehow "irrelevant"... It doesn't show list of apps anymore, doesn't get system requests to provide (or not) permissions, etc. Installing it (Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip, B3C89F46F014C9DF7D23B94D37386B8A) from Recovery did not help either. That forced me to make new CM11 install form the scratch.
@WinSuk, do you have any advice on how to deal with it in case if Superuser app (UI to su) is suddenly gone? Reinstalling whole ROM from the scratch, while is refreshing, is time consuming process that I'd like to avoid.

WinSuk

Jan 18, 2011
winsuk.net
Thank you, @WinSuk. It worked. Actually I made backup of that new install yesterday and after restoring today File Manager recognized .apk extension. First thing to install is Link2SD v3.5.2. Then all new apps go (are linked) to ext2 partition...

The reason I tried to install new CM11 ROM from the scratch was - suddenly I've noticed, that Superuser app has disappeared from my access. It's similar to what I've mentioned earlier - apps may disappeared, but after reboot they may come back. But in this case I made several reboots and still not see it... Permissions were kept correctly (apps, that were granted root access before still have it), but I can't grant root access to new apps anymore or see log of root access requests.

Then I tried to install SuperUser-3.1.3.apk (1,468,798; MD5: E0BC7B7284B68C9539B6EC6B306310E0) directly. It installs without errors, but it becomes somehow "irrelevant"... It doesn't show list of apps anymore, doesn't get system requests to provide (or not) permissions, etc. Installing it (Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip, B3C89F46F014C9DF7D23B94D37386B8A) from Recovery did not help either. That forced me to make new CM11 install form the scratch.

@WinSuk, do you have any advice on how to deal with it in case if Superuser app (UI to su) is suddenly gone? Reinstalling whole ROM from the scratch, while is refreshing, is time consuming process that I'd like to avoid.

I have no idea what to do - CM11 is just really buggy on this device.

xd0

Dec 26, 2010
I have no idea what to do - CM11 is just really buggy on this device.
I've got yet another problem. Now it's with File Managers I need to use.

1. Native File Manager v1.0.2 refuses to copy APK files form /data/app folder. It was setup to do so: "Settings | General settings | ADVABCED | Access mode" is set to "Root Access mode". FM shows content of /data/app folder correctly, but when I try to copy an .APK file from that place to SD card, it indicates "The operation failed"...

2. ES File Explorer v1.6.2.5. I can install it just fine, but I can't copy .APK files from /data/app folder to SD card too. It shows, that folder is empty (a typical permission problem). I can see files in /system/app folder though.. ESFE has permission from Superuser to have access to root. But when I try to set its option "Root Explorer" it always fails its own test (message "Sorry, test failed. This feature cant run on your phone."). At the same time Superuser indicates twice, that it grants root access to it...

3. ES File Explorer v3.2.1.2 can't even be installed now. Installation simply ends with message "App not installed". Logcat indicates error: -103. Is this error related to some certificate problems? I had it installed in previous version of CM11 (built 20140715)... I remember that I did tried to install GApps at that time, but they were uninstalled long time ago. May be they added new certificates to sec. store and left them there and that allowed to install ESFE v3.2.1.2, allowing to install it... I don't know.

It';s hard to work with new ROM, if I can't use basic File Manager programs to copy .APK files in case I need it :(

WildDogRob

Mar 24, 2007
Mounts2SD use with CM11 on Liberty

Winsuk, Thanks for your and everyone else work on the Liberty, I really enjoy using this phone with your builds. I'm interested in your opinion on using Mounts2SD with your build of CM11. I've been using it for a while and it seems to work well though it does slow the device down a bit. The tradeoff is I get unlimited space to install anything I like on the very small device. Have you tried this and if so would you recommend it or why if you would not?

WinSuk

Jan 18, 2011
winsuk.net
Winsuk, Thanks for your and everyone else work on the Liberty, I really enjoy using this phone with your builds. I'm interested in your opinion on using Mounts2SD with your build of CM11. I've been using it for a while and it seems to work well though it does slow the device down a bit. The tradeoff is I get unlimited space to install anything I like on the very small device. Have you tried this and if so would you recommend it or why if you would not?
I haven't used Mounts2SD specifically (that I remember), but I have used similar stuff... It's pretty much required on CM11 if you're going to use it for more than just "Ooo cool, KitKat" :p

xd0

Dec 26, 2010
@WildDogRob
I haven't use Mounts2SD too, but I always use Link2SD for that purpose. I use it withn all ROM's I tried and I haven't noticed any slow down. You may want to try it too. It's very reliable IMHO.

firesidecake

Sep 19, 2014
Im currently using your cm 10.2 and it works quite smoothly. So are you going to make a lollipop rom for htc aria? :)

firesidecake

Sep 19, 2014
I just want to express my appreciation for your hard work. Hopefully you will read it.

HTC aria has been my phone for 4 years. The first rom I used, the stock rom: android 2.2.2 at&t, had a lot of limitations and restrictions , like not allowing users to enable unknown resources mode. I managed to get rid of that and succesfully rooted my phone but the rom still functioned badly so I tried to flash some new roms. The first one I use was the official cm 7. That time I still didnt know this site so I kept myself using that rom. Then I got a reference to this site and read about your thread of . At first, I thought it was some jokes cause this model (htc aria) was really old and outdated, its storage was limited but there was really someone making efforts to make a rom based on android 4.x for this phone? I firstly suspected, but then still try out your roms, starting with cm 9. The rom was good, it was based on android 4.0.4, the first version of android 4.x, so I could install lots of apps that werent compatible with my stock rom or cm 7. Then I moved on to cm 10.2, another your created by you, it ran quite well, even though lags still appeared sometimes when i opened a big size app, and there were some problems when I tried to edit my contact information that didnt work. After I installed a theme (not launcher) and reboot, the phone was stuck at boot screen. So then I tested out your cm 10.3. Editing contact information no longer crashed in cm 10.3, rom worked fine. I used it for a month but after gapps broke down, I flashed cm 11 (which I'm currently using). This is the best rom if compared with all previous one I had used. After some customisations (greenifying apps, not installing google apps,...), rom functioned pretty smoothly. The time to open some big apps for htc aria (for example: office suite pro 8, evernote, clean master, OALD 3.6.17,... and all these apps have been both moved and linked to SD card. I'm using link2sd and I mounted the 2nd partition of my 8 GB sd card and linked all possible app to sd card so as to solve the storage limit problems, as I installed about 30 apps) is MUCH faster than it was when I used cm 9 and 10. The performance is enhanced a lot and this is the first time I really dont feel annoying because of lags. And now cm 11 is officially on the androidarmv6 project so there will be lots of updates for this rom. :D

It's now still my main device until at least next year when i decide buy a new one (maybe some desire models of htc as I'm a huge loyal fan of it. I am now also using an ipad but iOS is quite restricted and lack a lot of customisation that android has, and it also contain some bugs with browsing internet and also because I love the "openness" of android as I can do whatever I want, no barriers at all, I guess I will stick myself to android for a long time (and this htc aria too). Hopefully you will keep building others great things for this mobile.

Once again, thank you a lot for your great contribution and your superb roms you've made. :fingers-crossed:

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

Also there are still some bugs existing in cm 11 : transparency doesn't work even if I enable "force high-end graphics", it only enables transparency for navigation bar, not status bar (I love navigation bar so I have already enable it); gravity box, a marvelous tweak using exposed framework is not fully working in cm 11 ( like remapping navigation keys using gravity box doesn't always function properly); keyboard lacks options for flow typing. I hope these bugs will be fixed some time. :)

iH8Ecchi

Jan 27, 2014
Planeptune
I just want to express my appreciation for your hard work. Hopefully you will read it.

HTC aria has been my phone for 4 years. The first rom I used, the stock rom: android 2.2.2 at&t, had a lot of limitations and restrictions , like not allowing users to enable unknown resources mode. I managed to get rid of that and succesfully rooted my phone but the rom still functioned badly so I tried to flash some new roms. The first one I use was the official cm 7. That time I still didnt know this site so I kept myself using that rom. Then I got a reference to this site and read about your thread of . At first, I thought it was some jokes cause this model (htc aria) was really old and outdated, its storage was limited but there was really someone making efforts to make a rom based on android 4.x for this phone? I firstly suspected, but then still try out your roms, starting with cm 9. The rom was good, it was based on android 4.0.4, the first version of android 4.x, so I could install lots of apps that werent compatible with my stock rom or cm 7. Then I moved on to cm 10.2, another your created by you, it ran quite well, even though lags still appeared sometimes when i opened a big size app, and there were some problems when I tried to edit my contact information that didnt work. After I installed a theme (not launcher) and reboot, the phone was stuck at boot screen. So then I tested out your cm 10.3. Editing contact information no longer crashed in cm 10.3, rom worked fine. I used it for a month but after gapps broke down, I flashed cm 11 (which I'm currently using). This is the best rom if compared with all previous one I had used. After some customisations (greenifying apps, not installing google apps,...), rom functioned pretty smoothly. The time to open some big apps for htc aria (for example: office suite pro 8, evernote, clean master, OALD 3.6.17,... and all these apps have been both moved and linked to SD card. I'm using link2sd and I mounted the 2nd partition of my 8 GB sd card and linked all possible app to sd card so as to solve the storage limit problems, as I installed about 30 apps) is MUCH faster than it was when I used cm 9 and 10. The performance is enhanced a lot and this is the first time I really dont feel annoying because of lags. And now cm 11 is officially on the androidarmv6 project so there will be lots of updates for this rom. :D

It's now still my main device until at least next year when i decide buy a new one (maybe some desire models of htc as I'm a huge loyal fan of it. I am now also using an ipad but iOS is quite restricted and lack a lot of customisation that android has, and it also contain some bugs with browsing internet and also because I love the "openness" of android as I can do whatever I want, no barriers at all, I guess I will stick myself to android for a long time (and this htc aria too). Hopefully you will keep building others great things for this mobile.

Once again, thank you a lot for your great contribution and your superb roms you've made. :fingers-crossed:

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

Also there are still some bugs existing in cm 11 : transparency doesn't work even if I enable "force high-end graphics", it only enables transparency for navigation bar, not status bar (I love navigation bar so I have already enable it); gravity box, a marvelous tweak using exposed framework is not fully working in cm 11 ( like remapping navigation keys using gravity box doesn't always function properly); keyboard lacks options for flow typing. I hope these bugs will be fixed some time. :)
Too long, didn't read :p +1 anyway

@WinSuk I've tried the way you mentioned, but the camera still doesn't work for my device (Xperia E)

Dirtydarko

Jul 13, 2011
Boston MA
Thank you SO MUCH for this ROM!! It is absolutely amazing! Despite your warning, I have found it to be quite snappy (for an Aria) and totally usable as a daily driver. The only thing that's killing me is the limited internal storage capacity. Honestly, I can only download ES File Explorer and Nova Launcher and then it starts nagging me about low storage! The worst part is that I seem to be having a problem using A2SD with this ROM and I'm curious if it's due to the Gapps being cached or something. either way I love it and I thank you for resurrecting my Aria from it's dusty grave! I now have a legitimate backup phone!

...Also I have noticed that if I use an SD card with a FAT (Primary) and ext2 (~600MB) partitioned, It doesn't detect an SD card at all. I can flash from CWM from the SD card just fine, but when I boot up the ROM it doesn't recognize the SD card at all. Just curious how everyone deals with the limited space and if anyone uses A2SD or similar to alleviate this problem. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: homer123456789

NateDogg1232

Nov 29, 2014
Fresno
Thanks

Now, when you said slow, I was thinking so slow it was practically unusable so yeah. It's a good thing it wasn't as slow as I thought it would be. I still had to revert to cm 10.1 but still I give it a 4.5/5.

P.S. I'm having trouble installing SuperSU. Gave any of you been able to get it installed?

NateDogg1232

Nov 29, 2014
Fresno
Okay, with the CPU governors, do not use any of the *X governors. While the phone is put to sleep, these cause the Sleep of Death(Phone cannot come out of sleep). Also, don't use the Powersave governor at all. Your phone will be unusable and it is very hard to change it to any other governor. With the Smartass governors, they will cause music to become laggy and choppy. My favorite is lagfree because it uses CPU when it is needed and lowers it when it is not. It does this faster than ondemand so there is no lag.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CyanogenMod 11 (based on Android 4.4.4 "KitKat") for the HTC Liberty/Aria/Gratia/etc

NOTE: Just to make this clear, this is UNOFFICIAL, and NOT supported by CyanogenMod.

Hboot 1.02 or higher is required! (Revolutionary or HTCdev unlock)

Liberty is now an official device on the androidarmv6 project :D
    This means updates will show up in Settings > About phone > CyanogenMod updates
    However updating via the updater may not always work, due to very constrained system space.
    Patches can be submitted to http://review.androidarmv6.org/

Huge thanks to everyone working on marvel/Wildfire S (Olivier, izi501, feroxx, Kevinjoa, thehacka1, benjamingwynn, JDevs, more I don't know?) & the androidarmv6 team :)

The kernel includes TONS of CPU governers, and a couple extra I/O schedulers.
    I don't really care for kernels with this many CPU governers, but the rest of the changes to the kernel are useful, and it's more work taking them back out so I left them in :p
    No idea what may or may not be better, but the default seems to work fine.

Screenshots: http://winsuk.net/screens/liberty/cm11/

Required recovery: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2474662

Known bugs/etc:
    • Slow - everywhere (I recommend CM9 or CM10)
    • Apps sometimes don't load on boot (appear to be completely gone) - even system apps
    • WiFi hotspot doesn't work
    • Screen brightness sometimes sticks at dim when turning on
    • Transparent GIFs in browser have a solid background
    • Large images in browser are usually broken
    • No adb screenrecord
    • No ART

Notes:
    • USB tethering: enable it, unplug & replug, then enable it again and it should work
    • For a transparent status bar, enable high-end graphics in Performance settings
    • USB debugging verify (the popup when you plug into a new PC) doesn't always work, so it has been disabled
    • Gesture typing, Photosphere, and voice recognition: all require closed-source libraries from Google built for ARMv6, which don't exist.
      I can't make any of these work unless Google does.

Downloads!
    Newest builds from the androidarmv6 buildbot can be found here:
    http://download.androidarmv6.org/_builds/liberty/

Mirrors for stable build RC11:
    cm-11.0.0-RC11-liberty.zip - d94c7e2163ce434241bfc0ee02c84eb1
    androidarmv6: http://download.androidarmv6.org/_builds/liberty/stable/cm-11.0.0-RC11-liberty.zip
    Google Drive: http://goo.gl/D635Gc
    xda devdb: http://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=9311
    MediaFire: https://www.mediafire.com/?kf3it5ckd46mf3o

Google Apps: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2756379

Google Search cannot be installed from the Play Store, however if you can get an apk for it (like here maybe), it will work (sans voice) with one setting change:
    1. install Google Search app (from apk)
    2. open it, and hit Yes, I'm in
    3. let it crash
    4. open Google Settings from the app drawer
    5. navigate to Search & Now > Voice > "Ok Google" hotword detection
    6. slide hotword detection to off
    7. done, it works :)

There is also an app to sort-of enable voice search in Google Search/Now: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2709285

Source:
    Manifest with full ROM & kernel source
    Kernel source only

Previous builds can be found here or here or here

Changelog of builds:

20140614 (June 14th, 2014):
    • First build from androidarmv6 jenkins
    • CM Updater added (should be getting weekly builds from jenkins through it soon)
    • Miscellaneous changes from CM and/or androidarmv6

20140607 (June 7th, 2014):
    • Android 4.4.3
    • Disabled fading edges on text for a small speedup - before, after
    • Switched to gps.conf with SUPL (assisted GPS) support - I can't tell a difference, but it may speed up GPS for some
    • Terminal Emulator updated
    • Upstream CM things (I don't keep track :p)

20140519 (May 19th, 2014):
    • Re-added missing fonts for various languages (they got removed during the KK bringup)
    • Removed what livewallpapers were left - this will not only free up some space on /system, but also /data because they had to be cached there
    • Removed CM Wallpapers to free up /system space (as with the live wallpapers, should free up a little on /data as well)
    • Removed 05mountsd script - most sd-ext solutions seem to have mounting built in now, and it conflicts with some
    • SELinux enabled in kernel - this may improve battery life as audit was constantly crashing without SELinux
    • Changes from CM (including new theme engine, oooh!)

20140507 (May 7th, 2014):
    • Got camera working (all of it including timelapse :) no glitches either)
    • Added some extra encoder/decoder files - not sure if they are doing anything right now
    • Latest changes from CM (whatever that may be)

20140503 (May 3rd, 2014):
    • Fixed hardware video decoder (& encoder)
    • Fixed GPS

20140501 (May 1st, 2014):
    • Baseline build

XDA:DevDB Information
    Unofficial CyanogenMod 11, ROM for the HTC Aria

Contributors
    WinSuk, Olivier, izi501, feroxx, Kevinjoa, thehacka1, benjamingwynn, JDevs, androidarmv6 team, more I don't know?
    Source Code: https://github.com/androidarmv6/android/tree/cm-11.0

ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 2.6.x
    ROM Firmware Required: hboot 1.02 (Revolutionary or HTCdev unlock)
    Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information
    Current Beta Version: 20140614
    Beta Release Date: 2014-06-14

Created 2014-05-01
    Last Updated 2014-12-04
    New build uploaded, with a new version of Android ;)

• Android 4.4.3
    • Disabled fading edges on text for a small speedup - before, after
    • Switched to gps.conf with SUPL (assisted GPS) support - I can't tell a difference, but it may speed up GPS for some
    • Terminal Emulator updated
    • Upstream CM things (I don't keep track :p)

June 7th, 2014 - http://goo.gl/QRq6kM
    bf15bcb8bd14795ba6181f10e71a8ae1
    QRq6kM.qr

xda devdb mirror: http://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=6727
    MediaFire mirror: https://www.mediafire.com/?uucc94qo23b03wl
    Team-Simplicit mirror: http://team-simplicit.com/downloads/liberty/cm-11.0/cm-11-20140607-UNOFFICIAL-liberty.zip

Same gapps should work fine
    New build up :)

• Re-added missing fonts for various languages (they got removed during the KK bringup)
    • Removed what livewallpapers were left - this will not only free up some space on /system, but also /data because they had to be cached there
    • Removed CM Wallpapers to free up /system space (as with the live wallpapers, should free up a little on /data as well)
    • Removed 05mountsd script - most sd-ext solutions seem to have mounting built in now, and it conflicts with some
    • SELinux enabled in kernel - this may improve battery life as audit was constantly crashing without SELinux
    • Changes from CM (including new theme engine, oooh!)

May 19th, 2014 - http://goo.gl/7mDkpU
    f1790ba145802bc8d332f7430ab7ce65
    7mDkpU.qr

xda devdb mirror: http://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=6281
    MediaFire mirror: https://www.mediafire.com/?n13j34dxey08slv

NOTE: A new gapps package can be found here. The old gapps package I linked will not work anymore.
    New build uploaded:

20140503 (May 3rd, 2014):
    • Fixed hardware video decoder (& encoder?)
    • Fixed GPS

http://goo.gl/c6Kekq
    c298645ed377de26a6c3a833b7b70fc0
    c6Kekq.qr

xda devdb mirror: http://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=5948
    MediaFire mirror: https://www.mediafire.com/?ld5pld43a3x2pr9

I've now tested Google Apps and everything seems to work fine, so I changed the OP to only have one link for them (what I would recommend using) :)
    But the Play Store won't let you install Google Search (aka Google Now)
    New build, snap snap ;)
    (sorry, hard to make "new build" original every time :p)

20140507 (May 7th, 2014):
    • Got camera working (all of it including timelapse :) no glitches either)
    • Added some extra encoder/decoder files - not sure if they are doing anything right now
    • Latest changes from CM (whatever that may be)

http://goo.gl/4YeJLa
    e6c97b311bc3a32e1a17f0c199821f0b
    4YeJLa.qr

xda devdb mirror: http://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=6027
    MediaFire mirror: https://www.mediafire.com/?f8tulxczubrzfcx

If you are updating from a previous build and the camera app doesn't appear, run this from terminal emulator or adb shell:
    Code:
    su
    pm enable com.android.camera2/com.android.camera.CameraLauncher