[GUIDE] Z Ultra and Z1 HARD BRICK RECOVERY

Search This thread

Doom Slayer

Jan 16, 2011
Mars
Sony Xperia 1 IV
THIS TUTORIAL IS ONLY FOR HARD BRICKED DEVICES.
HARD BRICK MEANS NO FLASHMODE AND NO FASTBOOT.
IN ORDER TO PROCEED DISASSEMBLY OF YOUR DEVICE IS REQUIRED.
IF YOU HAVE WARRANTY,STOP READING THIS, GO THE SONY SERVICE AND PLAY STUPID.
AS AFTER OPENING YOUR DEVICE, YOUR WARRANTY IS 100% VOID.
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE.
YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.

Let's get started.
1. Download tools.7z from attachments and pack for your device.
2. Install ggsetup-3.0.0.7.exe
3. Open the back cover of your device.
4. Find the test point (See attachments).
5. Disconnect a battery, connect a usb cable. LED RED will start to blink.
6. Using the paper clip connect your test point with the GND. I used the metal shield in the middle of the motherboard.
7. Open the device manager, you should see SEMC Flash Device. If no, you did something wrong.
8. Disconnect your phone from computer.
9, Repeat the step 5.
10.Run the s1tool and select S1 MSM8974 EMERGENCY for the phone type.
11. Press the flash button, and choice the APP file for your device.
12. Press testpoint ready and repeat the step 6.
13. Remove the testpoint and press READY, when program will ask you to do so.
14. If flash was successful, you may disconnect your phone from usb, connect your battery and try to boot.You may have to charge your battery.
15. Now you can flash your device normally using software.

P.S.
I was not be able to flash on windows 8 64bit, but I flashed without problems on XP.

I would like to thank:

the_laser for making the software.

myevilface from support.setool.net for finding testpoint for c69xx.

and my poor Z Ultra which I sacrificed trying to find the test point :(
Actually I finished him when I wanted to fix audio jack.
Was to happy that my device is fixed and damaged the screen connector :D

UPDATE:
Tool for converting TA.img to TA_unbrick.SYN_FILE_SET

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I helped you to save money, you can buy me a beer or two, which is cheaper than a new motherboard. :)

Attachments

• tools.7z
    5.6 MB · Views: 52,168
Last edited:

Mighty_X

Jul 12, 2011
Maybe stupid question : Do you think with this testpoint mode there is a way of unlocking Bootlader although it is not permitted by the provider?

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Doom Slayer

Jan 16, 2011
Mars
Sony Xperia 1 IV
Maybe stupid question : Do you think with this testpoint mode there is a way of unlocking Bootlader although it is not permitted by the provider?

There is option to unlock boot, and it asks to do the testpoint trick, but I did not test it,as mine bootloader is unlocked and screen is dead now. :)

[NUT]

I really hope i never have to do this :p Thanks for the guide!

+1 :D
@the_laser, there are some poor souls on the Xperia Z who have the same problem by flashing a Sammy recovery to their Z which destroyed their bootloader as well...

They still seem to have some life in their mobile reporting it as a qcom device to windows (reconnecting over and over again), if I send some or one of them over to you by pm, would you be able to help them too?

zeppelinrox

Dec 21, 2010
IN THE FREAKIN' OP
This is REALLY AWESOME. :highfive:

Call me crazy, but I'm actually a bit excited to see somebody post that they totally recovered their phone to a 100% working state :victory:

And brought to us by 2 guys that aren't even "senior members" yet LOL
+1 :D
@the_laser, there are some poor souls on the Xperia Z who have the same problem by flashing a Sammy recovery to their Z which destroyed their bootloader as well...

They still seem to have some life in their mobile reporting it as a qcom device to windows (reconnecting over and over again), if I send some or one of them over to you by pm, would you be able to help them too?
I'd imagine that if the the software is compatible, the only challenge is to find the test point?

Last edited:

Doom Slayer

Jan 16, 2011
Mars
Sony Xperia 1 IV
This is REALLY AWESOME. :highfive:

Call me crazy, but I'm actually a bit excited to see somebody post that they totally recovered their phone to a 100% working state :victory:

And brought to us by 2 guys that aren't even "senior members" yet LOL
I'd imagine that if the the software is compatible, the only challenge is to find the test point?

Right after I brick my phone, I knew that it will be fixed without motherboard replacement.
And I was exited too, when it was recovered. Too exited. Now need a new motherboard for sure. :D

Reactions: eclyptos and zakio

n0bleINtP

Sep 19, 2013
Perth AU
I see bootloader files for XZU 6802 and 6806. Would either work for the 6833 international LTE variant ?

I am very interested in trying this - my bricked XZU is already disassembled and I would love to wake it up. And thank you for putting all of this together ! :)

edit: just checked C6802.7z and C6806.7z and they contain an identical file - so guessing C6833 will be the same.

Last edited:

ruinkhan

Oct 6, 2007
Ontario
Woot woot!!! I love you guys! I should have checked xda before i left for work.
Guess I need to find windows XP PC as I'm running Win 8 64.

momo-infos

Jan 3, 2014
alger
So its 100% functonal, right?
If so, you're probably the first on the planet to bring it all the way back from the grave :good:

btw did you see post 3 regarding the bootloader?

yesssss iam verry happy thank you my friends I have already made ​​this method successfully the phone Z1 START as normally it is a really good thank you successful continuation

Reactions: [NUT]

asphalt30000

Sep 6, 2011
So its 100% functonal, right?
If so, you're probably the first on the planet to bring it all the way back from the grave :good:

btw did you see post 3 regarding the bootloader?

absolutely yes. My phone works good. Even without any flash. In 4.3 version. Thank you guys . I love you so much . All of them.
I know in my country( iran) anybody couldn't fix this problem .

Reactions: Vahidak and [NUT]

momo-infos

Jan 3, 2014
alger
yesssss iam verry happy thank you my friends I have already made ​​this method successfully the phone Z1 START as normally it is a really good thank you successful continuation

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS TUTORIAL IS ONLY FOR HARD BRICKED DEVICES.
    HARD BRICK MEANS NO FLASHMODE AND NO FASTBOOT.
    IN ORDER TO PROCEED DISASSEMBLY OF YOUR DEVICE IS REQUIRED.
    IF YOU HAVE WARRANTY,STOP READING THIS, GO THE SONY SERVICE AND PLAY STUPID.
    AS AFTER OPENING YOUR DEVICE, YOUR WARRANTY IS 100% VOID.
    I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE.
    YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.

Let's get started.
    1. Download tools.7z from attachments and pack for your device.
    2. Install ggsetup-3.0.0.7.exe
    3. Open the back cover of your device.
    4. Find the test point (See attachments).
    5. Disconnect a battery, connect a usb cable. LED RED will start to blink.
    6. Using the paper clip connect your test point with the GND. I used the metal shield in the middle of the motherboard.
    7. Open the device manager, you should see SEMC Flash Device. If no, you did something wrong.
    8. Disconnect your phone from computer.
    9, Repeat the step 5.
    10.Run the s1tool and select S1 MSM8974 EMERGENCY for the phone type.
    11. Press the flash button, and choice the APP file for your device.
    12. Press testpoint ready and repeat the step 6.
    13. Remove the testpoint and press READY, when program will ask you to do so.
    14. If flash was successful, you may disconnect your phone from usb, connect your battery and try to boot.You may have to charge your battery.
    15. Now you can flash your device normally using software.

P.S.
    I was not be able to flash on windows 8 64bit, but I flashed without problems on XP.

I would like to thank:

the_laser for making the software.

myevilface from support.setool.net for finding testpoint for c69xx.

and my poor Z Ultra which I sacrificed trying to find the test point :(
    Actually I finished him when I wanted to fix audio jack.
    Was to happy that my device is fixed and damaged the screen connector :D

UPDATE:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If I helped you to save money, you can buy me a beer or two, which is cheaper than a new motherboard. :)

Since I bricked my TA I was not able to repair TA by using gdfs, do not know why, but I created tool for unbricking TA partition, TA backup is required to get tool working! Here is tool for all who have TA.img and bricked TA partition inside phone, tool will convert your TA.img to TA_unbrick.SIN_FILE_SET so you can easily repair your TA partition and flash the rest of firmware, enjoy! ;) Windows machine is required!

How to use:
    - put TA.img to the same folder
    - run ta_gen.exe
    D
    Deleted member 3665957
    @bejibx:

i'm assuming that your problem is because you wrote foreign trim area into your phone.
    if your phone have damaged trim area ( format/rewrite trim area partition ) - phone is brick.

but if not, then using View attachment s1tool.zip

There is option to unlock boot, and it asks to do the testpoint trick, but I did not test it,as mine bootloader is unlocked and screen is dead now. :)
    So who else thinks this thread should be featued on the portal?
    Ive already submitted via the news tip button and pmed @SammiSaysHello since she writes alot of xperia articles.