FireTV 1 (bueller) TWRP Recovery

Search This thread

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
It's finally here! TWRP recovery for the Fire TV 1. Most likely, I will not be updating this thread with new releases, as the prerooted ROMs will always contain the latest version. This thread is just here so people on Fire OS 3 can install TWRP and people on rooted but locked bootloader Fire TV 1's can get recovery initially installed.

As usual, this WILL void your warranty and I am NOT responsible for anything you do with this. Installing it properly won't brick your Fire TV, but doing stupid things with it might.

Installing this requires root. If you are not rooted, figure that out first.

Installation for Unlocked Bootloader
  1. Make sure you are on a FULLY unlocked bootloader. From within FireOS and after running su run this:
    Code:
    cat /proc/cmdline
    And MAKE SURE unlocked_kernel=true is present! If it is not, you are NOT fully unlocked and you must Fully Unlock first!
  2. Make sure you are on at least 51.1.4.0 ROM and the latest CWM installed.
  3. Copy the bueller-twrp_3.0.0-6.img file to /sdcard
  4. From within adb shell, use su to become root, and run this command (are you sure you did step 1?)
    Code:
    dd if=/data/media/0/bueller-twrp_3.0.0-6.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery
  5. From outside adb shell, reboot to recovery
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery
  6. TWRP should load, you can install a FireOS5 prerooted ROM now.

Installation for Locked Bootloader
  1. This requires that you are on at least version 5.0.5 and rooted.
  2. Copy the bueller_recovery_vX.zip file to /sdcard
  3. From within adb shell, use su to become root, and run this command (replace vX with the actual version you downloaded)
    Code:
    sh /data/media/0/bueller_recovery_vX.zip
  4. Reboot

Notes
This includes bootmenu. For everyone that loved the old bootmenu with Comic Sans, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but the Comic Sans is gone. When the FireTV boots, it will present you with the bootmenu where you can leave it alone and it will boot normally or you can select recovery and it will boot in to recovery. You do need a USB keyboard to interact with the bootmenu. To force it to boot in to Recovery, you can create a file /cache/bootmenu_recovery.

DHCP for Ethernet is enabled, and if there is enough demand I may add in wifi at some point. The IP address should show up in the top left corner.

USB storage and USB keyboard/mice should all work. Hotplugging works, so you should be able to plug and unplug devices as needed.

You can use a USB keyboard, mouse, or the mouse emulator to interact with it. To use a keyboard, you can use the arrow keys to move the cursor and the enter key to select buttons. Sliders don't require sliding, so you can just hit enter/click on them. To use the mouse emulator, use adb shell and then run the program mouse and follow the instructions.

ROMs
Recovery must be included in all ROMs. If you want to develop a ROM, please contact me about including recovery in it.

Installing zips
You can push zips to /sdcard, put it on a USB storage, or use adb sideload. Do note you need adb version 1.0.32 to use adb sideload.

Stuck in a loop?
If you cannot boot normally and keep going back to the bootmenu, wipe Cache from Wipe -> Advanced Wipe.

Source Code
You can find the source code here:
https://github.com/androidrbox/firetv-2ndinit
https://github.com/androidrbox/android_bootable_recovery

WARNINGS

• It is extremely important you never reboot after a failure. This will most likely lead to a brick. If recovery is hung, you can use adb shell to run
    Code:
    killall recovery
    to restart it
  • It is also extremely important to never reboot after wiping /system.

Finally, thanks to everyone who has donated to me.

Changelog and Downloads:
  • July 7, 2016 - v2 (md5sum: 8f65187cb0cbc190a7d64f512ae3ede2)
    • This is the updated version with TWRP 3.0.0-7.
  • July 4, 2016 - TWRP Image 3.0.0-7 (md5sum: cda1a1c1cdd3e25a1caa86f5a5de1eee)
  • May 20, 2016 - v1 (md5sum: 9208d81fd07cff9952de5be33c62f730)
    • This is for use by people who have FireOS5 and are rooted.
    • This includes 2ndinit version a7a48c and TWRP version 3.0.0-6.
  • May 20, 2016 - TWRP Image (md5sum: 5dc83370046e5b50755ddb55fe8424ad)
    • This is for use by people who have FireOS3 and CWM and is TWRP version 3.0.0-6.

Last edited:

mrchrister

Nov 28, 2009
thanks so much rbox! just tested it and i can confirm that my firetv 1 with fireos3 and fully unlocked bootloader just installed twrp successfully - woot!
i still have the old boot menu though with comic sans..?

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
thanks so much rbox! just tested it and i can confirm that my firetv 1 with fireos3 and fully unlocked bootloader just installed twrp successfully - woot!
i still have the old boot menu though with comic sans..?

For unlocked bootloaders, this step JUST installs recovery. You need to install the prerooted rom to get the new bootmenu.

ssgelm

Jun 4, 2010
I successfully dd'ed the recovery image onto my ftv with unlocked bootloader but attempting to boot it causes the TWRP logo to show for a few seconds, then the screen goes black and the cycle repeats. Any idea how to fix this?

Reactions: fabi280

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
I successfully dd'ed the recovery image onto my ftv with unlocked bootloader but attempting to boot it causes the TWRP logo to show for a few seconds, then the screen goes black and the cycle repeats. Any idea how to fix this?

If you unplug the power and replug it, it should boot normally, then you can see if the recovery log got saved, /cache/recovery/last_log and pastebin it.

ssgelm

Jun 4, 2010
The log at /cache/recovery/last_log is from CWM from the last time I flashed a new rom. :(

ssgelm

Jun 4, 2010
I am not on ethernet right now. When I get a chance I'll do that and see if I can connect. Thanks so much for your work on this!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's finally here! TWRP recovery for the Fire TV 1. Most likely, I will not be updating this thread with new releases, as the prerooted ROMs will always contain the latest version. This thread is just here so people on Fire OS 3 can install TWRP and people on rooted but locked bootloader Fire TV 1's can get recovery initially installed.

As usual, this WILL void your warranty and I am NOT responsible for anything you do with this. Installing it properly won't brick your Fire TV, but doing stupid things with it might.

Installing this requires root. If you are not rooted, figure that out first.

Installation for Unlocked Bootloader
    1. Make sure you are on a FULLY unlocked bootloader. From within FireOS and after running su run this:
      Code:
      cat /proc/cmdline
      And MAKE SURE unlocked_kernel=true is present! If it is not, you are NOT fully unlocked and you must Fully Unlock first!
    2. Make sure you are on at least 51.1.4.0 ROM and the latest CWM installed.
    3. Copy the bueller-twrp_3.0.0-6.img file to /sdcard
    4. From within adb shell, use su to become root, and run this command (are you sure you did step 1?)
      Code:
      dd if=/data/media/0/bueller-twrp_3.0.0-6.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery
    5. From outside adb shell, reboot to recovery
      Code:
      adb reboot recovery
    6. TWRP should load, you can install a FireOS5 prerooted ROM now.

Installation for Locked Bootloader
    1. This requires that you are on at least version 5.0.5 and rooted.
    2. Copy the bueller_recovery_vX.zip file to /sdcard
    3. From within adb shell, use su to become root, and run this command (replace vX with the actual version you downloaded)
      Code:
      sh /data/media/0/bueller_recovery_vX.zip
    4. Reboot

Notes
    This includes bootmenu. For everyone that loved the old bootmenu with Comic Sans, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but the Comic Sans is gone. When the FireTV boots, it will present you with the bootmenu where you can leave it alone and it will boot normally or you can select recovery and it will boot in to recovery. You do need a USB keyboard to interact with the bootmenu. To force it to boot in to Recovery, you can create a file /cache/bootmenu_recovery.

DHCP for Ethernet is enabled, and if there is enough demand I may add in wifi at some point. The IP address should show up in the top left corner.

USB storage and USB keyboard/mice should all work. Hotplugging works, so you should be able to plug and unplug devices as needed.

You can use a USB keyboard, mouse, or the mouse emulator to interact with it. To use a keyboard, you can use the arrow keys to move the cursor and the enter key to select buttons. Sliders don't require sliding, so you can just hit enter/click on them. To use the mouse emulator, use adb shell and then run the program mouse and follow the instructions.

ROMs
    Recovery must be included in all ROMs. If you want to develop a ROM, please contact me about including recovery in it.

Installing zips
    You can push zips to /sdcard, put it on a USB storage, or use adb sideload. Do note you need adb version 1.0.32 to use adb sideload.

Stuck in a loop?
    If you cannot boot normally and keep going back to the bootmenu, wipe Cache from Wipe -> Advanced Wipe.

Source Code
    You can find the source code here:
    https://github.com/androidrbox/firetv-2ndinit
    https://github.com/androidrbox/android_bootable_recovery

WARNINGS

• It is extremely important you never reboot after a failure. This will most likely lead to a brick. If recovery is hung, you can use adb shell to run
      Code:
      killall recovery
      to restart it
    • It is also extremely important to never reboot after wiping /system.

Finally, thanks to everyone who has donated to me.

Changelog and Downloads:
    • July 7, 2016 - v2 (md5sum: 8f65187cb0cbc190a7d64f512ae3ede2)
      • This is the updated version with TWRP 3.0.0-7.
    • July 4, 2016 - TWRP Image 3.0.0-7 (md5sum: cda1a1c1cdd3e25a1caa86f5a5de1eee)
    • May 20, 2016 - v1 (md5sum: 9208d81fd07cff9952de5be33c62f730)
      • This is for use by people who have FireOS5 and are rooted.
      • This includes 2ndinit version a7a48c and TWRP version 3.0.0-6.
    • May 20, 2016 - TWRP Image (md5sum: 5dc83370046e5b50755ddb55fe8424ad)
      • This is for use by people who have FireOS3 and CWM and is TWRP version 3.0.0-6.
    This test image worked for me but my tv is only 720p so the graphics overlap and it is VERY hard to use. Any chance of getting a version with a 720p theme instead?

Ask and ye shall receive... This has the looping fix and a possible 720 fix.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/uzvjvjb5ydvyja3/bueller-twrp-test8.img
    Worked great!! Thanks so much for all your hard work!

Okay. Well unfortunately bootmenu will still be jacked up. And I won't have time until next week to make a proper release with all these fixes... but it should keep you guys happy until then.
    I can't imagine why a TV would cause TWRP to crash, but at this point I can't explain it.

New TV did nothing, as you suspected.

I did get it to work though, Here's what I did.
    Reflashed latest CWM
    Full wipe in CWM (Not sure if this was needed?)
    adb shelll WHILE IN CWM and flashed TWRP
    did adb reboot recovery and TWRP loaded, Now I flashed pre-rooted 5.0.5 rom
    To anyone still experiencing the flashing problem and/or anyone who had it fixed with test8:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/m84irafe8idoklm/bueller-twrp-test9.img

Hopefully this fixes it?