[Q] Can HTC Surround be tethered?

Search This thread
Nov 27, 2007
San Francisco
Does anyone know if there is currently a way to tether the HTC Surround to a laptop. Evidently there is a backdoor way to do this with a Samsung Focus. Is anyone working on this for the Surround?

jaraya13

Jun 30, 2008
San Jose
Wow...don't be impatient. ##3282# is the code for Field Test, but there's nothing there that we can use.

Yes, I am sorry. Is just that I really need tethering for work. And yesterday I lost my Samsung Focus, so I am with a Surround right now but I really do miss my Samsung... :(

Do you think that with the No Donuts update for WP7, we can have access via an HTC Surround?

jwzg

Retired Senior Moderator
Jan 31, 2006
Prattville, AL
Doubt it can be done backdoor...AT&T thinks data is gold and doesn't leave us a whole lot of options.

BTW, Just checked my feature options on AT&T, they have smartphone enterprise tethering listed as a data option (2GB for $60/mo.) If you are that desparate, you'll have to do it that way.

jaraya13

Jun 30, 2008
San Jose
Doubt it can be done backdoor...AT&T thinks data is gold and doesn't leave us a whole lot of options.

BTW, Just checked my feature options on AT&T, they have smartphone enterprise tethering listed as a data option (2GB for $60/mo.) If you are that desparate, you'll have to do it that way.

Thanks for the quick reply. That is not an option for me, because I live in Costa Rica, not in the US. Also, tethering here is free, I just pay 8 dollars fix and I have unlimited Data connection and tethering. I was doing just great with my Focus. I think my only option is to buy another Focus... :(

I hate HTC for not allowing this kind of things, and also for blocking the option to change Display language from English to Spanish. In the Focus you can do that with no problems...

drumboy03

Aug 13, 2008
Not HTC

It appears as though it is not HTC that is putting the blocks on, it is the carrier. That's just what I have been reading. I'm sure that there will be a way eventually, as there are strides being made to cracking htis thing wide open.

jaraya13

Jun 30, 2008
San Jose
It appears as though it is not HTC that is putting the blocks on, it is the carrier. That's just what I have been reading. I'm sure that there will be a way eventually, as there are strides being made to cracking htis thing wide open.

If it is a carrier subject, why the Samsung Focus is a complete different story also AT&T branded?

drumboy03

Aug 13, 2008
Good Point

Good Point, like I said, that's just what I've been reading. I think that it's definitely something that will be fixed, based on the large amount of interest in it though.

Nov 27, 2007
San Francisco
Thanks All For Jumping on This Topic

Well, it doesn't look like, at the moment, there is a fix for this - So, I guess folks will still have to use their Cellular Modems (if they have one) to get their PC up and connected when no WIFI spot is available. Oh, well.

Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wow...don't be impatient. ##3282# is the code for Field Test, but there's nothing there that we can use.