[Q] Recent issues with overheating

Search This thread

USFguy

Mar 5, 2011
Tampa
I'm on the latest ViperXL using stock kernel and without having any app running my phone is discharging battery at 18-21% per hour according to GSAM this is with wifi/bluetooth/GPS/mobile data all OFF the temp is also staying around 110 degrees again according to GSAM.

I haven't done anything new or different I was using ElementalX but switched to stock and the issue is still there I went from getting 1.5-2 days of use to getting 6 hours if I'm lucky, any suggestions?

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
How's your signal strength? Not the bars (they're pretty ambiguous) but the actual signal strength measured in dBm in Settings/About Phone/Network. Have you investigated whether something (an app or process) is causing a wakelock?

Sent from my Evita

USFguy

Mar 5, 2011
Tampa
How's your signal strength? Not the bars (they're pretty ambiguous) but the actual signal strength measured in dBm in Settings/About Phone/Network. Have you investigated whether something (an app or process) is causing a wakelock?

Sent from my Evita

RSRP: -114
RSRQ: -16

the radio keeps bouncing from LTE to other bands (I'm hom visting)

The first night I had wakelocks from google services then I flashed stock kernel and those stopped.

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
If your signal is averaging out at -116dBm it's pretty bad, really bad actually. My first thought would be that that's what's causing the battery drain and heat. Especially if this behaviour has started happening since you've been visiting home?

Sent from my Evita

USFguy

Mar 5, 2011
Tampa
If your signal is averaging out at -116dBm it's pretty bad, really bad actually. My first thought would be that that's what's causing the battery drain and heat. Especially if this behaviour has started happening since you've been visiting home?

Sent from my Evita

Yup the week I've been back has been the worst week for battery life, I was ready to get a new phone but I'll monitor how it does I head back to my place tonight

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
The title of the thread refers to an overheating issue, but as timmaaa has discussed, it seems like your real issue is power drain.

Power drain goes hand in hand with heat generation, that is just a fact of how computers work. Solve the power issue, and the heat issue will go away.

And 110F is warm, but not anywhere close to the kind of heat required to damage the hardware of the phone, if that is what you are concerned about.

USFguy

Mar 5, 2011
Tampa
Sorry didn't mean to hijack the other thread.

So my phone was plugged in from my post 3 hours ago and still no inication from LED or detection via USB to laptop =(

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
Is it showing up as QHSUSB_DLOAD in Decide Manager on your PC? Have you tried holding down the power button? Or holding power + volume down? Try both with and without the power connected.

Sent from my Evita

USFguy

Mar 5, 2011
Tampa
Is it showing up as QHSUSB_DLOAD in Decide Manager on your PC? Have you tried holding down the power button? Or holding power + volume down? Try both with and without the power connected.

Sent from my Evita

Negative with the device manager nothing is registering as being attached via USB with 2 different micro USB cables.

Negative holding any number of buttons connected or not results in no flashing of the BLN or LED after 15 seconds of pressing

USFguy

Mar 5, 2011
Tampa
It isn't looking good, but keep out connected to an AC outlet for a fair few hours and try again.

Sent from my Evita

Is there any history of this sudden "bricking"? I mean I was running fine and smooth (had used maps to get somewhere with GPS) I've tried 3 different cable combos all with no success. Would there be anyway to recover data off the SD?

USFguy

Mar 5, 2011
Tampa
Sometimes, on very rare occasion, electronic devices do just spontaneously die. If your decide is actually bricked there is basically no chance of retrieving any data from it.

Sent from my Evita

In hindsight the power drain could have been an indication of impending failure? Last night it was displaying the same 22% per hour discharge rate before it powered down at 13% (it did the normal HTC screen power down)

USFguy

Mar 5, 2011
Tampa
Could a battery change do anything? With the high discharge and declining battery life off the last few months could the battery just have given out? FYI still no improvement while it's connected to AC charger

USFguy

Mar 5, 2011
Tampa
Well I see taking it apart really isn't that difficult, all I'm wondering is if someone could put me in the right direction of a cheap but REAL OEM battery I can buy somewhere.

Man I'm gonna miss this community, I think Timmaaa should get a G3 when it's out so that I know that there will be order. This device has had some top notch mods and people in it not just jerks and trolls.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Opening it the first time is tricky just make sure to remove the Sim card tray.

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk