Setting up chromecast without WiFi

Search This thread

exeLz

Apr 7, 2017
So I'm in the army right now, which means there's a TV but no WiFi available.
I did think of just setting up a Hotspot with another phone but it gets pretty annoying having to have 2 people at all time.
So I went digging in the Internet and found someone at a random forum (can't find it now for credit..), that said that If you set up the Hotspot in your own phone and configure it with another one you don't need the other one around anymore - being the Hotspot works as being connected to it.
Now I'm pretty sure there shouldn't be any reason I couldn't set it up on my own phone (the hotspot), except the Google home app just demands I connect to the WiFi network, which I can't do because you can't connect to yourself sadly.
I think if someone made some changes to the Google home app, or made an alternative set up app it could work. I have no idea how to code an app, so I came here ?

tl:dr I Want an app that does the same as the home app for setting chromecast up, but without checking if I'm connected to a WiFi network. (I think)

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
I'm guessing that you have no WiFi but you do have a hard line internet connection?
The only issue with what I'm going to suggest is that base rules may prohibit creating a WiFi access point on any of their hardline connections.
But the best solution for you is to buy a Portable Router (see posts here about using CCast in a Hotel).
It's a small box about the size of a DC transformer that plugs into the outlet and also any Network to create a small footprint WiFi access point.
I suggest looking for a model that also has Repeater mode that allows it to connect to another WiFi access point to create your own private network as opposed to a hard line.

It is probably the best way to use a CCast in places where WiFi is not available without having to play with Phone Hotspot which doesn't always work due to the fact the hotspot can't control the CCast in that mode.

The other Option that is most likely to be allowed is to add a WiFi puck to your Mobile account. Then there would be no potential compromising of the Military network (which is why they might not allow the Portable Router to be used) and you would no longer need two phones to run the CCast.

CCast definitely needs Internet so that Puck might be the safest and best way forward for you.

As for what you read...The issue is that if the Phone goes out of range it stops working.

exeLz

Apr 7, 2017
I'm guessing that you have no WiFi but you do have a hard line internet connection?
The only issue with what I'm going to suggest is that base rules may prohibit creating a WiFi access point on any of their hardline connections.
But the best solution for you is to buy a Portable Router (see posts here about using CCast in a Hotel).
It's a small box about the size of a DC transformer that plugs into the outlet and also any Network to create a small footprint WiFi access point.
I suggest looking for a model that also has Repeater mode that allows it to connect to another WiFi access point to create your own private network as opposed to a hard line.

It is probably the best way to use a CCast in places where WiFi is not available without having to play with Phone Hotspot which doesn't always work due to the fact the hotspot can't control the CCast in that mode.

The other Option that is most likely to be allowed is to add a WiFi puck to your Mobile account. Then there would be no potential compromising of the Military network (which is why they might not allow the Portable Router to be used) and you would no longer need two phones to run the CCast.

CCast definitely needs Internet so that Puck might be the safest and best way forward for you.

As for what you read...The issue is that if the Phone goes out of range it stops working.
Actually, no Internet at all, just mobile data, but since I got 15 gigs it's OK for me to use it.

exeLz

Apr 7, 2017
Then I suggest getting the WiFi puck and adding it to your data account.
To be honest, it is a good idea but my I was mainly wondering if I could solve it via software which is both easier obviously and also I just wanted to know if it's actually possible since I thought of it and I wanna know if I got it right :p

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
To be honest, it is a good idea but my I was mainly wondering if I could solve it via software which is both easier obviously and also I just wanted to know if it's actually possible since I thought of it and I wanna know if I got it right :p
Not really...All the hacks and such that people try simply don't work well due to the fact that the Phone can't really connect to the same subnet as the Hotspot. When you go into Hotspot mode you can't also connect to that hotspot internally because WiFi is no longer available to the phone.

exeLz

Apr 7, 2017
Not really...All the hacks and such that people try simply don't work well due to the fact that the Phone can't really connect to the same subnet as the Hotspot. When you go into Hotspot mode you can't also connect to that hotspot internally because WiFi is no longer available to the phone.
That's why i suggested tempering with the app so it treats being a Hotspot as if u were with WiFi on connected to one.
Basically take off the check for being connected to WiFi.

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
That's why i suggested tempering with the app so it treats being a Hotspot as if u were with WiFi on connected to one.
Basically take off the check for being connected to WiFi.

The issue isn't the app...It's the fact that the WiFi in your phone can only do one thing at a time....BE an Access Point or CONNECT to an access point.
It can't connect to itself as the radio can't do both things at once.
So when you go into hotspot there is no way to get on the same subnet as the hotspot with the phone.
Because there is no network adapter available to connect to it. It is too busy being an access point.

Basically going into hotspot turns the Phone into a router. A router the phone has no way to connect to. So you either need another device to connect to that phone router or find some other router with internet.

Which is what the Cellular Puck will give you.

Last edited:

exeLz

Apr 7, 2017
The issue isn't the app...It's the fact that the WiFi in your phone can only do one thing at a time....BE an Access Point or CONNECT to an access point.
It can't connect to itself as the radio can't do both things at once.
So when you go into hotspot there is no way to get on the same subnet as the hotspot with the phone.
Because there is no network adapter available to connect to it. It is too busy being an access point.

Basically going into hotspot turns the Phone into a router. A router the phone has no way to connect to. So you either need another device to connect to that phone router or find some other router with internet.

Which is what the Cellular Puck will give you.
Like I said, once the setup is done, being the Hotspot is just like being connected to is. The app still doesn't recognize you're connected but if you're on the web the chromecast icon does pop up when needed, all the third party apps do recognize you as being connected.

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
All you managed to do with Google Home (which can't be edited by anyone but Google)on the second phone is connect your CCast to the Phone Hotspot for it's Internet. There is no way to avoid that setup....HOWEVER...
As long as you don't set it up to connect to some other Hotspot there is no need to run Home again, Just turn on Hotspot and it should reconnect.

It will even remember the password,

exeLz

Apr 7, 2017
All you managed to do with Google Home (which can't be edited by anyone but Google)on the second phone is connect your CCast to the Phone Hotspot for it's Internet. There is no way to avoid that setup....HOWEVER...
As long as you don't set it up to connect to some other Hotspot there is no need to run Home again, Just turn on Hotspot and it should reconnect.

It will even remember the password,
Yea I know, but sometimes friends take it or something and it's a pain in the ass to explain everything, and even when I do it means I gotta reconnect at my end again which is annoying :p just thought someone could maybe find a solution that sounded really simple for me, guess not, too bad..
Thanks anyway!

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Well trying to recode Home is a dead end....Android wouldn't even let you install it!
You guys should just chip in and buy the puck.
It will even let you use Tablets and Laptops as well as simplify the CCast use.

cityneversleepz

Feb 7, 2011
Dallas, TX
www.sunqifitness.com
I know this is an older post; not sure if you are still interested. I read all the replies and not sure what to make of it as far as if anyone had a working solution or not. No disrespect to anyone, but I couldn't tell for sure so I'm posting a link to my solution which does work. The two important steps are included. One is using " other wifi" in the drop down list when searching for your hotspot. The second is enabling GUEST MODE.
https://xdaforums.com/android/help/how-to-cast-screen-android-phone-to-t4032653

pepsi_max2k

Jan 21, 2016
I’m trying something similar with a Chromecast 3rd gen and iPhone 5S (iOS 12). Main issue seems to be guest mode doesn’t work at all on any apps, and pretty much every solution i’ve seen to this results in guest mode being used for the eventual casting. If you have android or iOS 13 then ymmv.

The only solution i’ve found are workarounds, the obvious being
1) don’t buy a chromecast (it’s not much of a solution but hey it’s $30).
2) use a secondary device to cast.
3) use a tethered travel router, and this can be done with only a phone and mobile data for internet, but there’s a catch:
First i’d Recommend any router by GLi.net (cheapest “mango” router is about $20) as they support iOS and android and both WiFi and usb tethering.
Also, i’ve Tried using a WiFi hotspot on the phone, and it’s the same issue - no connection to the chromecast regardless of how. However... iPhones will allow you to create a hotspot using *only* cables usb tethering, so if you set the router up to *only* accept internet via cables tether (turn off WiFi/repeater tethering), then you can have both the chromecast and iPhone connect to the routers WiFi, whilst providing net access to the router (and WiFi network) from the same iphone’s mobile data via usb. Simple howoto:

Important: Turn OFF WiFi on the phone, and turn off hotspot.
Connect phone to router via usb, accept trust settings.
Turn on personal hotspot, you’ll get a message asking whether to use WiFi or just usb (andbluetooth if it’s also turned on). Select just usb/Bluetooth.
Wait until blue connection bar shows on phone (if not, make sure routers setup properly to gain net via usb tethering).
Now, turn on WiFi on the phone, and connect to routers WiFi.
Setup chromecast as normal, selecting to connect to routers WiFi too.

Note turning hotspot off and on again whilst WiFi is running will start a hotspot on WiFi and disconnect you from router WiFi, so you’ll always have to go through process of turning WiFi off, turn hotspot on, turn WiFi on.

So you can do this with the right router and a usb connection to phone. Or maybe android and working guest mode. Otheriwse, ...fire tv anyone?