[GUIDE][FIX][AUTOMATION] Barclay's Mobile Banking Root Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

fma965

Nov 20, 2011
cyanlabs.net
DO NOT USE THIS TUTORIAL WITHOUT MY PERMISSION, SITES HAVE COPIED THIS AND NOT GIVEN CREDIT TO ME OR LINKED THIS POST.

Hello well firstly i would like to say thanks to many people in this thread here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1823649

So be sure to thank the people who deserve it.

CURRENT METHODS PATCHED DUE TO BARCLAYS FORCING LATEST VERSION.

Click the "show" button below to see old methods that no longer work.

There are 3 Methods to getting this to work. The first method is extremely simple and automated should work for everyone but untested, The second method should work for everyone (hopefully) but is harder and more time consuming. The third method will only work for people who previous had the app working.
Method 1 (Xposed) (Credit to @HiddenRambler) NEW
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=49296437&postcount=8

Method 2 (Semi-Automatic)
This will automatically patch the build.prop and install 1.3.3 barclays (make sure to not have barclays mobile banking installed before). Please show consideration by clicking thanks as this automated method took a little time as i was rusty on edify syntax.

1. Download and flash this zip file in CWM or TWRP recovery (cyanlabs.co.uk/Automated Barclays Root Fix 1.0.zip).

See source of above zip file.
Code:
ui_print("*********************");
ui_print("Barclays Mobile Banking 1.3.3 Automated Fix");
ui_print("Created By Fma965 @ XDA-Developers");
ui_print("- Mounting /system, /data and rootfs");

run_program("/sbin/busybox", "mount", "/system");
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "mount", "/data");
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "mount", "-o", "rw,remount", "/system", "/system");
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "mount", "-o", "rw,remount", "/", "/");

ui_print("- Removing old files");
delete("/system/bin/su");
delete("/system/xbin/su");
delete("/system/bin/.ext/.su");
delete("/system/app/Superuser.apk");
delete("/system/app/Superuser.odex");
delete("/system/app/SuperUser.apk");
delete("/system/app/SuperUser.odex");
delete("/system/app/superuser.apk");
delete("/system/app/superuser.odex");
delete("/system/app/Supersu.apk");
delete("/system/app/Supersu.odex");
delete("/system/app/SuperSU.apk");
delete("/system/app/SuperSU.odex");
delete("/system/app/supersu.apk");
delete("/system/app/supersu.odex");
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "rm", "/data/dalvik-cache/*com.noshufou.android.su*");
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "rm", "/data/dalvik-cache/*com.koushikdutta.superuser*");
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "rm", "/data/dalvik-cache/*Superuser.apk*");
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "rm", "/data/dalvik-cache/*SuperUser.apk*");
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "rm", "/data/dalvik-cache/*superuser.apk*");
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "rm", "/data/dalvik-cache/*eu.chainfire.supersu*");
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "rm", "/data/dalvik-cache/*Supersu.apk*");
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "rm", "/data/dalvik-cache/*SuperSU.apk*");
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "rm", "/data/dalvik-cache/*supersu.apk*");

ui_print("- Extracting files");
package_extract_dir("system", "/system");
package_extract_dir("data", "/data");

package_extract_file("buildprop.sh", "/tmp/buildprop.sh");
set_perm(0, 0, 0777, "/tmp/buildprop.sh");

ui_print("- Patching Build.prop");
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "sed", "-i", "s/ro.build.tags=test-keys/ro.build.tags=release-keys/g", "/system/build.prop");

ui_print("- Setting permissions");
set_perm(0, 0, 0777, "/system/bin/.ext");
set_perm(0, 0, 06755, "/system/bin/.ext/.su");
set_perm(0, 0, 06755, "/system/xbin/su");
set_perm(0, 0, 0644, "/system/build.prop");
set_perm(0, 0, 0644, "/data/app/SuperuserCWM.apk");

ui_print("- Unmounting /system and /data");
unmount("/system");
unmount("/data");

ui_print("- Done - Be Sure to click thanks on XDA!");

-----------------------------------------------------------

Method 3
1. Download Build Prop Editor, click "ro.build.tags" and change the "test-keys" to "release-keys" press "save"
2. Reboot to Recovery
3. Flash this file http://cyanlabs.co.uk/downloads/Other/Barclays_Root_Fix_v3.0.zip (if it doesn't work try this http://cyanlabs.co.uk/Barclays Root Fix v2.0.zip) using CWM or TWRP Recovery
4. Reboot
5. Download "Barclays Mobile Banking v1.3.3" (Thanks to gazza1988)
6. Go to Barclays in the Google Play store. Press the menu button and untick "Auto Update"
7. Setup mobile banking

*If you have 3 devices registered already you will need to contact Barclays to get your accounts reset.

DO NOT USE THIS TUTORIAL WITHOUT MY PERMISSION, SITES HAVE COPIED THIS AND NOT GIVEN CREDIT TO ME OR LINKED THIS POST.

Last edited:

ThePureHeart

Jan 15, 2013
Hello well firstly i would like to say thanks to many people in this thread here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1823649

Right so now for the guide.

There are 2 Methods to getting this to work. The first method will work for everyone (hopefully), the second method will only work for people who previous had the app working.

Method 1
1. Download ES File Explorer
2. Enable root features of ES File Explorer
3. Edit /system/build.prop (mount as RW)
Remove these lines
Code:
ro.cm.version=
ro.modversion=
And change this line
Code:
ro.build.tags=test-keys
To
Code:
ro.build.tags=release-keys
4. Download "SuperSU" from PlayStore
5. Find "Full Unroot" in the settings. And do it.
5. Flash this file ( http://puu.sh/372bd.zip ) using CWM or TWRP Recovery
6. Reboot once file is flashed
7. Download "SuperSU" from PlayStore AGAIN!
8. Load SuperSu "update binary" (Do not move app to system)
9. Download "Barclays Mobile Banking v1.3.3" (Thanks to gazza1988)
10. Setup mobile banking (Do not update)
11. Congrats your done :)

Method 2
Click Here

RE method 1: I use ParanoidAndroid and so Superuser is built into the ROM. How would users like me make the app work?

Sent from ThePureHeart's I9300 Boss Edition

Reactions: debojitk

fma965

Nov 20, 2011
cyanlabs.net
Doesn't paranoidandroid just use superuser.apk? if so all u need to do is follow the instructions above, "full unroot" will remove all existing superuser.apk's.

ThePureHeart

Jan 15, 2013
Doesn't paranoidandroid just use superuser.apk? if so all u need to do is follow the instructions above, "full unroot" will remove all existing superuser.apk's.

Nope, it uses Koush's Superuser implementation. It's built into the ROM and doesn't come as a separate app.

I hope there is a way to get it working.

fma965

Nov 20, 2011
cyanlabs.net
Nope, it uses Koush's Superuser implementation. It's built into the ROM and doesn't come as a separate app.

I hope there is a way to get it working.

from my research that seems like is just a alternative to superuser and still works as a app, Also have you tried ignoring those steps and just removing the mod and cm lines (if you have them) ?

jleafe

Jan 4, 2013
Lincoln
Don't know if I would be comfortable using a custom banking app although it's very tempting!

Sent from my LT26i using xda premium

ThePureHeart

Jan 15, 2013
from my research that seems like is just a alternative to superuser and still works as a app, Also have you tried ignoring those steps and just removing the mod and cm lines (if you have them) ?

Unfortunately that won't work since Barclays' apps check for root-level apps, superuser access, device id and all sorts.

I'm trying to get it working with XPrivacy, no luck as of yet. I'll keep trying and see what happens.

gazza1988

Mar 12, 2011
Nottingham, UK
Don't know if I would be comfortable using a custom banking app although it's very tempting!

Hi mate, I haven't customised the app. I wouldn't even know where to start to customise it.

All the updates previous to, and including, 1.3.3 you could get around the root check using various methods. So when the new update came out root users, including myself, updated but found that the methods don't work.

People were asking for the 1.3.3 version because that is the latest one that "works" for root users.

If you check my post history (more specifically threads started by me) you'll see I'm no Dev and very recently bought an s3. I've made numerous backups trying to find the perfect rom for me and in most of those backups was the 1.3.3 apk that people needed.

So I uploaded it to Dropbox and shared it.

I predict you knew most of that info and I don't mean to sound condescending (apologies if I am) just thought I'd try to alleviate any fears over the validity of the app I uploaded.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

fma965

Nov 20, 2011
cyanlabs.net

Im a recognized contributor surely that means im trustworthy. (i am personally using the APK posted above and it works fine and doesn't do anything suspicious.

Unfortunately that won't work since Barclays' apps check for root-level apps, superuser access, device id and all sorts.

I'm trying to get it working with XPrivacy, no luck as of yet. I'll keep trying and see what happens.

1.3.3 doesn't check for like anything except superuser.apk and certain build.prop lines. New versions do though

Thanks

Enviado desde mi Xperia U usando Tapatalk 4 Beta
No problem don't forget to give credit to the people in the link at top :)
Hi mate, I haven't customised the app. I wouldn't even know where to start to customise it.

All the updates previous to, and including, 1.3.3 you could get around the root check using various methods. So when the new update came out root users, including myself, updated but found that the methods don't work.

People were asking for the 1.3.3 version because that is the latest one that "works" for root users.

If you check my post history (more specifically threads started by me) you'll see I'm no Dev and very recently bought an s3. I've made numerous backups trying to find the perfect rom for me and in most of those backups was the 1.3.3 apk that people needed.

So I uploaded it to Dropbox and shared it.

I predict you knew most of that info and I don't mean to sound condescending (apologies if I am) just thought I'd try to alleviate any fears over the validity of the app I uploaded.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

Yeah he seems fine, I will upload my own version when i find where i backed it up to :), Just so it is from a RC but im 95% sure its fine, At the end of the day its up to the people to decide if they wanna "risk it".
Thanks gazza for uploading the file though :)

Also if you check permissions and monitor traffic you can see it doesn't do anything different from normal.

fma965

Nov 20, 2011
cyanlabs.net
Also is it just me or is this root block by barclays pointless....

I mean you have already entered all your bank details in by the time it tells you have root and refuses to work... How stupid is that? if the phone really is "vulnerable" due to root then uh surely check before entering the details would be good.

ThePureHeart

Jan 15, 2013
Also is it just me or is this root block by barclays pointless....

I mean you have already entered all your bank details in by the time it tells you have root and refuses to work... How stupid is that? if the phone really is "vulnerable" due to root then uh surely check before entering the details would be good.

... you're joking, right?
The only info you enter is your number, sort code/account number and your name. All of which - with the exception of your phone number - is public and not sensitive at all.

fma965

Nov 20, 2011
cyanlabs.net
... you're joking, right?
The only info you enter is your number, sort code/account number and your name. All of which - with the exception of your phone number - is public and not sensitive at all.

yes n no, i know its public (sort off) but it still makes more sense to check root first so hackers dont get even that info.

jleafe

Jan 4, 2013
Lincoln
Im a recognized contributor surely that means im trustworthy. (i am personally using the APK posted above and it works fine and doesn't do anything suspicious.

Please don't take that personally and I thank your contributions. I was just saying, with banking apps you could potentially see the alarm bells rining? therefore simply take caution ;)

fma965

Nov 20, 2011
cyanlabs.net
Please don't take that personally and I thank your contributions. I was just saying, with banking apps you could potentially see the alarm bells rining? therefore simply take caution ;)

Yeah i know what you meant, Like i said if you don't feel confortable then don't do it. But i checked it out and from what i checked didn't see any suspicious ****, pretty sure the app wouldn't be easy to modify as if it was uh we wouldn't need to all the BS in OP :)

deanr1977

Apr 17, 2011
lost somewhere.... Help
Added you a link to my post too, favour returned :thumbup:

As to these talking about security issues ideally 99.9 of people on Xda are good & the downloads "should" be trusted but like any downloads ether roms & apks there is always the chance of corruption? That's why "most" people only say download only from play store or xda.

If the security issue is a big deal do what I did & send barclays a email about why they blocked rooted users? I am still waiting for a reply from them, I also put the comment on there play store comment review LOL

sent from Tapatalk2 via my Supermodded S3 using UltimaRom v13 & running Boeffla v2.12 beta7 kernel

instig8

Jul 4, 2013
Method 1 worked on my i9505 running Foxhound 0.8. Got a RP029 error, so had to ring Barclays to get them to reset the devices on my account, just need my Pin Sentry to complete to process.

Many Thanks!

RobPitt

Dec 21, 2012
Brighton
www.robpitt.me.uk
Method 1 working on Domination ROM 20130624. Thanks for this, I preferred having the ROM managing root but a working Barclays was worth the substitution for SuperSU. Two questions:

1. What did the flash file do?
2. Any version of Barclays Pingit working?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

CURRENT METHODS PATCHED DUE TO BARCLAYS FORCING LATEST VERSION.

Click the "show" button below to see old methods that no longer work.

There are 3 Methods to getting this to work. The first method is extremely simple and automated should work for everyone but untested, The second method should work for everyone (hopefully) but is harder and more time consuming. The third method will only work for people who previous had the app working.
    Method 1 (Xposed) (Credit to @HiddenRambler) NEW
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=49296437&postcount=8

Method 2 (Semi-Automatic)
    This will automatically patch the build.prop and install 1.3.3 barclays (make sure to not have barclays mobile banking installed before). Please show consideration by clicking thanks as this automated method took a little time as i was rusty on edify syntax.

1. Download and flash this zip file in CWM or TWRP recovery (cyanlabs.co.uk/Automated Barclays Root Fix 1.0.zip).

See source of above zip file.
    Code:
    ui_print("Barclays Mobile Banking 1.3.3 Automated Fix");
    ui_print("Created By Fma965 @ XDA-Developers");
    ui_print("- Mounting /system, /data and rootfs");

run_program("/sbin/busybox", "mount", "/system");
    run_program("/sbin/busybox", "mount", "/data");
    run_program("/sbin/busybox", "mount", "-o", "rw,remount", "/system", "/system");
    run_program("/sbin/busybox", "mount", "-o", "rw,remount", "/", "/");

ui_print("- Removing old files");
    delete("/system/bin/su");
    delete("/system/xbin/su");
    delete("/system/bin/.ext/.su");
    delete("/system/app/Superuser.apk");
    delete("/system/app/Superuser.odex");
    delete("/system/app/SuperUser.apk");
    delete("/system/app/SuperUser.odex");
    delete("/system/app/superuser.apk");
    delete("/system/app/superuser.odex");
    delete("/system/app/Supersu.apk");
    delete("/system/app/Supersu.odex");
    delete("/system/app/SuperSU.apk");
    delete("/system/app/SuperSU.odex");
    delete("/system/app/supersu.apk");
    delete("/system/app/supersu.odex");
    run_program("/sbin/busybox", "rm", "/data/dalvik-cache/*com.noshufou.android.su*");
    run_program("/sbin/busybox", "rm", "/data/dalvik-cache/*com.koushikdutta.superuser*");
    run_program("/sbin/busybox", "rm", "/data/dalvik-cache/*Superuser.apk*");
    run_program("/sbin/busybox", "rm", "/data/dalvik-cache/*SuperUser.apk*");
    run_program("/sbin/busybox", "rm", "/data/dalvik-cache/*superuser.apk*");
    run_program("/sbin/busybox", "rm", "/data/dalvik-cache/*eu.chainfire.supersu*");
    run_program("/sbin/busybox", "rm", "/data/dalvik-cache/*Supersu.apk*");
    run_program("/sbin/busybox", "rm", "/data/dalvik-cache/*SuperSU.apk*");
    run_program("/sbin/busybox", "rm", "/data/dalvik-cache/*supersu.apk*");

ui_print("- Extracting files");
    package_extract_dir("system", "/system");
    package_extract_dir("data", "/data");

package_extract_file("buildprop.sh", "/tmp/buildprop.sh");
    set_perm(0, 0, 0777, "/tmp/buildprop.sh");

ui_print("- Patching Build.prop");
    run_program("/sbin/busybox", "sed", "-i", "s/ro.build.tags=test-keys/ro.build.tags=release-keys/g", "/system/build.prop");

ui_print("- Setting permissions");
    set_perm(0, 0, 0777, "/system/bin/.ext");
    set_perm(0, 0, 06755, "/system/bin/.ext/.su");
    set_perm(0, 0, 06755, "/system/xbin/su");
    set_perm(0, 0, 0644, "/system/build.prop");
    set_perm(0, 0, 0644, "/data/app/SuperuserCWM.apk");

ui_print("- Unmounting /system and /data");
    unmount("/system");
    unmount("/data");

ui_print("- Done - Be Sure to click thanks on XDA!");

-----------------------------------------------------------

Method 3
    1. Download Build Prop Editor, click "ro.build.tags" and change the "test-keys" to "release-keys" press "save"
    2. Reboot to Recovery
    3. Flash this file http://cyanlabs.co.uk/downloads/Other/Barclays_Root_Fix_v3.0.zip (if it doesn't work try this http://cyanlabs.co.uk/Barclays Root Fix v2.0.zip) using CWM or TWRP Recovery
    4. Reboot
    5. Download "Barclays Mobile Banking v1.3.3" (Thanks to gazza1988)
    6. Go to Barclays in the Google Play store. Press the menu button and untick "Auto Update"
    7. Setup mobile banking

*If you have 3 devices registered already you will need to contact Barclays to get your accounts reset.

can you post the apk please :)

Sent from my Xperia Play using Tapatalk 4

Not sure if allowed (please let me know if not, Moderators), but since there's modified versions of WhatsApp etc as well I'm guessing it would be ok. It's not warez.
    Don't quote my name on this, but to get it to work, do the following:

• decompile .apk with APKTool
    • open smali\com\BMBBeta\app\NRegSplashActivity.smali
    • Remove the # static fields lines up until # instance fields (the SU checks etc)
    • Edit the isRootedDevice and runRootCommand functions to be the following:
      Code:
      .method private isRootedDevice()Z
          .locals 7
          const/4 v0, 0x0 
      	return v0
      .end method

.method private runRootCommand()Z
          .locals 7
          const/4 v0, 0x0 
      	return v0
      .end method
    • Recompile .apk
    • Sign .apk
    Barclays 1.3.3 for Rooted Devices I am not responsible for anything that happens with you, your millions of $, your phone, your cat or potato salad by using this method or file.
    Not sure if allowed (please let me know if not, Moderators), but since there's modified versions of WhatsApp etc as well I'm guessing it would be ok. It's not warez.
    Don't quote my name on this, but to get it to work, do the following:

• decompile .apk with APKTool
    • open smali\com\BMBBeta\app\NRegSplashActivity.smali
    • Remove the # static fields lines up until # instance fields (the SU checks etc)
    • Edit the isRootedDevice and runRootCommand functions to be the following:
      Code:
      .method private isRootedDevice()Z
          .locals 7
          const/4 v0, 0x0 
      return v0
      .end method

.method private runRootCommand()Z
          .locals 7
          const/4 v0, 0x0 
      return v0
      .end method
    • Recompile .apk
    • Sign .apk
    Barclays 1.3.3 for Rooted Devices I am not responsible for anything that happens with you, your millions of $, your phone, your cat or potato salad by using this method or file.

I started with this APK, then searched for nreg_rooted_device which had an id of 0x7f03004d. This only appeared in jajajj.smali so as an experiment I commented out that line and the resulting APK (attached) works without doing anything to the phone. This is 1.3.3.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4
    I googled a bit and found apktool which decompiles apks then I edited the source but I can't rebuild the apk because I only have a phone, no PC and the aapt binary is for x86 Linux (I installed Ubuntu on my phone). Here is a thread that gives a whirlwind tour of how to patch apps.

In ./smali/com/BMBBeta/app/NRegSplashActivity.smali there is a function called isRootedDevice. Probably making this always return false if you learn a little smali or maybe deleting calls to it all together should make it work.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4
    tell Barclay's to get there act together and stop blocking power users, :)

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk 2

I rated the app bad 1star & emailed them & finally got a response the other Day.... basically said if u have root u can't & will never use there app!

sent from Tapatalk2 via my Supermodded S3 using UltimaRom v13 & running Boeffla v2.12 beta7 kernel