Ulefone Armor 3W/3WT

Search This thread

l0n34ng3l

Apr 8, 2019
Hello everyone.

This is my first thread, I hope not to break any rules.

Ulefone launched the new Armor 3W and 3WT, like our 3 and 3T, it does have the exact same look and same specs except for the CPU and RAM, our 3 and 3T have the P23 and 4GB of RAM, the new Armor 3W and 3WT have the P70 and 6GB of RAM.

Does any of you had the change to get one and test it out?

I'm curious if the TWRP available to 3 and 3T are compatible with the new 3W/3WT.

Thank you!

l0n34ng3l

Apr 8, 2019
Have you found out anything yet?

Not yet, already bought the Armor 3WT from Banggood and they'll ship on October 13 if not mistaking.

I was hoping for someone that once they have the new 3W and 3WT they will test if the tools available for Armor 3 and 3T will be the same for Armor 3W and 3WT.

It's exactly the same models except for the CPU, RAM and OS, 3 and 3T have Oreo 8.1 and the Armor 3W and 3WT have Pie 9.0.

Jun 15, 2017
I'm waiting to buy a 3w also by Aliexpress. I'm searching to see bootloader, twrp and root unlock issue but it's hard to find. I don't know if because it is still launch ..... I hope that in the near future someone can unravel these mysteries

l0n34ng3l

Apr 8, 2019
After almost a month of use I found many bugs software related but didn't find fix yet... Bluetooth keeps randomly disconnecting (I think this is Pie related and not Armor 3WT), the build in "firewall" doesn't work on stopping apps from access the internet, and neither does the build in "power saver" feature, regardless of having such apps on whitelist some of them keeps getting killed in background

damien0505

May 21, 2007
Healesville
I have had the Armor 3W for about a month now, after purchasing it as a replacement ffor my previous Armor 3 which wasn't too happy with 80kg landing on it from a height of around a metre. (Didn't break anything externally, just started behaving very oldy!)
The only issue I have found so far is that after a random period of time (from hours to days) the proximity and light sensor stop working. This is frustrating when making/receiving a call due to the screen not turning off. (Yes, some people still use mobile phone to make phone calls! :) )

I do not believe this to me a hardware issue as it is resolved, at least temporarily, with a power cycle.... (Think Roy from "The IT Crowd": Have you tried turning it off and on again?) It also sems to have been a semi-common on a number of other phones running Android P.

The proximity calibration app, I thought had worked as initially it seemed better, but the sensors have resorted to their old ways.

I have emailed Ulefone Support, but due to previous experience I won't be holding my breath, blue is not really my colour.

Has anyone else experienced this issue with the Armor 3W/WT, and if so does anyone have a solution?

TIA,
Damien

ml11ML

Mar 1, 2015
Just got my own Armor 3WT and can confirm the proximity sensor issue. After about a day it stops working and gets stuck on 0 distance which causes the in call screen to go black. Reboot fixes it as mentioned above. For me the built in firewall or "network manager" works as intended from a few short tests. My build number of the rom is "Armor_3WT_RF1_EEA_V01_20190919-1954". Bluetooth also seems to work fine however i have only tested it with an OBD scanner and not for audio or wireless headphones...

Any news about twrp? All i could find are some fake websites with no download link. The bootloader unlocks with "fastboot flashing unlock" which does a factory reset and i tried booting the UMIDIGI S3 Pro twrp as the specs looked pretty close (same soc and ram and resolution) but it does not boot into recovery at all.

Last edited:

noki_tel

Dec 4, 2008
Hello users of this funny phone ;) ...
I have a questions
did You tried apply any ROOT ? like KINGROOT or any familiar without TWRP ?
this smatphone have indicator led ?? ( and blinknig on received unread mails/sms/ and other events ?
what about quality of pictures ? in daylight and flash light and speed of focus ?

Thx for answers .

Last edited:

ml11ML

Mar 1, 2015
Hello users of this funny phone ;) ...
I have a questions
did You tried apply any ROOT ? like KINGROOT or any familiar without TWRP ?
this smatphone have indicator led ?? ( and blinknig on received unread mails/sms/ and other events ?
what about quality of pictures ? in daylight and flash light ?

Thx for answers .

I personally didn't try KINGROOT because the last time i tried it was annoying to deal with and remove. I did look into patching the boot.img with magisk to avoid the need for twrp but first we need the stock rom download which ulefone does not provide yet (probably because the phone is so new). It has a RGB led on the top right. Pictures of the front camera are poor but usable in high light and the back camera is good with flash or light and "medium" when darker. By that i mean that you are able to see the general things in the image when dark but don't expect to be zooming in or reading text without flash.

Another thing worth noting is just how LOUD the speakers are. Watching videos indoors on the lowest volume is already slightly too loud when the room is quiet and notifications/calls are also extremely loud anywhere above the lowest setting. It is much louder than any other phone i ever tried.

EDIT: The camera does allow manual controls of everything including shutter speed with another manual camera app.

Last edited:
Reactions: noki_tel

noki_tel

Dec 4, 2008
Thx a lot for this information ,
has RGB led , but its working as indicator of messages or only for battery power loading ;) ?

when ROOT will be available I will buy this phone probably ... (this is mandatory requirement with all my smartfones , i cant imagine have smartfone without ROOT)

aaa one more question i forgot ;)
how sim cards and exernal memory is applyiable ? SIM + SIM + MemoryCard ,
or hybrid SIM + SIM / SIM + MemoryCard

ml11ML

Mar 1, 2015
has RGB led , but its working as indicator of messages or only for battery power loading ;) ?

when ROOT will be available I will buy this phone probably ... (this is mandatory requirement with all my smartfones , i cant imagine have smartfone without ROOT)

Charging and messages with selectable color. I agree about root however the phone was just too interesting to wait for root. I mostly need it to delete the gapps and google services as i don't use them so i can live with it for now. It has 2 sim cards and a micro SD card each in their own connector under the metal plate on the back so all 3 at once are possible.

Attachments

• photo_2019-11-27_09-39-31.jpg
    photo_2019-11-27_09-39-31.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:

noki_tel

Dec 4, 2008
Thx again , now all is clear for me ..

i see one minus of this phone "rubber" around a case ... i hope so its properly mounted "glued" I have NOMU S30 mini now ... and after 1 year of using starting get away from corners

Last edited:

Safg13

Nov 29, 2019
Ulefone Armor 3W/3WT TWRP custom recovery + ROOT

Hello there. We did custom recovery and root for 3W/3WT but idk how to attach files here and I can't insert links because I haven't 10 posts. How can I share it?

Safg13

Nov 29, 2019

Instructions:
  • 1. Flash recovery.img via spflashtool or platformtools.
  • 2. Boot to TWRP.
    Touchscreen is not working properly in TWRP on our gadgets. You need to use OTG cable and mouse. Skip enter password form. Default language is russian so you can choose your in options.
  • 3. Install disable force encryption and magisk (if you need root) via TWRP.
  • 4. Boot to system. Enjoy.

Download link (merge go ogle together)
drive.go ogle.com/open?id=1J0HlsJYTyJUGAHjIXYMDUXye4DD9kEAC

ml11ML

Mar 1, 2015
Instructions:
  • 2. Boot to TWRP.
    Touchscreen is not working properly in TWRP on our gadgets. You need to use OTG cable and mouse. Skip enter password form. Default language is russian so you can choose your in options.

Thank you so much! This works great!

Here is a clickable download link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1J0HlsJYTyJUGAHjIXYMDUXye4DD9kEAC

For anyone following these are the steps i did (assuming you unlocked bootloader already):
1. Copy both zips to external sd as internal storage wont work at first
2. adb reboot bootloader
3. fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
4. unplug usb and hold power button until screen turns off
5. let go of power button, count to 2, press and hold power button and volume up together until screen turns back on
6. let go of power button when screen turns on but keep holding volume up until you see TWRP screen
7. as above post said, cancel password and swipe to enter main menu and then one square above the bottom right to enter the language menu
8. flash both zips from external sd card
9. format data (not wipe but format to get rid of encryption) - i rebooted after flashing the zips and had to go back to recovery again to format the data !THIS DOES A FACTORY RESET!
10. reboot to system this will cause it to be set up as new
11. reboot to recovery again, this time there should be no password and in install you should be able to see internal storage of the phone
12. flash magisk / anything else you want

Also do you mind me asking... How did you manage to make this recovery? As far as i understand the stock boot.img is needed to port twrp or have things changed now?

Attachments

• photo_2019-12-01_11-47-59.jpg
    photo_2019-12-01_11-47-59.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 517
Last edited:

Safg13

Nov 29, 2019
Thank you for your feedback and more detailed instructions. I was only a tester, the work was done by nemo-nemo from 4pda. But how i can understand you need to use your stock firmware from ulefone mega storage. I got a problem when was working with twrp stuff. Tee key and google key red text in upper right corner. I have restored the IMEI's but google key still is not ok. I checked solutions for other ulefone phones but they dont work. Maybe android 9 is a reason. If anyone know something about it pls reply. Sorry for my english

Last edited:

ml11ML

Mar 1, 2015
Thank you for your feedback and more detailed instructions. I was only a tester, the work was done by nemo-nemo from 4pda. But how i can understand you need to use your stock firmware from ulefone mega storage. I got a problem when was working with twrp stuff. Tee key and google key red text in upper right corner. I have restored the IMEI's but google key still is not ok. I checked solutions for other ulefone phones but they dont work. Maybe android 9 is a reason. If anyone know something about it pls reply. Sorry for my english

Aha. I did not know about any such ulefone mega storage existing although i have seen this kind of thing before when working with a no-name chinese tablet. I thought that the firmware simply wasn't released yet as there was no download link on ulefone page. Sadly i do not know anything about tee key or google key, it just worked for me. Hopefully someone else can help you with that.

Safg13

Nov 29, 2019
Aha. I did not know about any such ulefone mega storage existing although i have seen this kind of thing before when working with a no-name chinese tablet. I thought that the firmware simply wasn't released yet as there was no download link on ulefone page. Sadly i do not know anything about tee key or google key, it just worked for me. Hopefully someone else can help you with that.

There is official ulefone storage for firmware, just merge me ga together

me ga.nz/#F!t64QzRxA!SxZFFl3WrgujTaFshrFuKA!piQ1CQDB

ml11ML

Mar 1, 2015
There is official ulefone storage for firmware, just merge me ga together

me ga.nz/#F!t64QzRxA!SxZFFl3WrgujTaFshrFuKA!piQ1CQDB

Thank you, i'm sure this will be very useful. By the way.... I tried remounting system as rw and it doesn't allow me to do that. I read online that this might be due to a "secure kernel" but can't get much more info. Do you know how one could solve this and modify the files in system partition? Maybe there is some flashable .zip patch to enable it?

EDIT: It works in TWRP just not in android. I suspect this is due to apps trying to remount /system but the phone actually has files in /system/system/ (2 folders one in another).
EDIT2: Don't try to restore a twrp backup if you have any important data, for me it caused the phone to go black screen and reboot as soon as it goes past the first few seconds of the Orange State logo to try and load the system.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Charging and messages with selectable color. I agree about root however the phone was just too interesting to wait for root. I mostly need it to delete the gapps and google services as i don't use them so i can live with it for now. It has 2 sim cards and a micro SD card each in their own connector under the metal plate on the back so all 3 at once are possible.

Instructions:
    • 2. Boot to TWRP.

Instructions:
    • 2. Boot to TWRP.

Thank you so much! This works great!

Here is a clickable download link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1J0HlsJYTyJUGAHjIXYMDUXye4DD9kEAC

For anyone following these are the steps i did (assuming you unlocked bootloader already):
    1. Copy both zips to external sd as internal storage wont work at first
    2. adb reboot bootloader
    3. fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    4. unplug usb and hold power button until screen turns off
    5. let go of power button, count to 2, press and hold power button and volume up together until screen turns back on
    6. let go of power button when screen turns on but keep holding volume up until you see TWRP screen
    7. as above post said, cancel password and swipe to enter main menu and then one square above the bottom right to enter the language menu
    8. flash both zips from external sd card
    9. format data (not wipe but format to get rid of encryption) - i rebooted after flashing the zips and had to go back to recovery again to format the data !THIS DOES A FACTORY RESET!
    10. reboot to system this will cause it to be set up as new
    11. reboot to recovery again, this time there should be no password and in install you should be able to see internal storage of the phone
    12. flash magisk / anything else you want

Also do you mind me asking... How did you manage to make this recovery? As far as i understand the stock boot.img is needed to port twrp or have things changed now?
    While we are on the subject of experiments, I thought you all might be interested to know my other findings. I got a little power/swr meter, and I am using a dual band antenna. Using a root based SQLite editor, I was able to input frequencies outside the UHF band. I have been able to listen to VHF transmissions on the 2 meter and 1.25m bands. I have heard static bursts on the 6m band, but nothing on 10m.

I have confirmed that I can transmit on the 2m band. The power meter shows anywhere between 0.7W to 0.4W (it starts high then lessens over a few seconds). I was also able to open the squelch on a local repeater and hear the repeater tail when I unkeyed. I got no response to my radio check that time, but I tried a different repeater and got a response there. The repeater is about 15 miles from my location, so not terrible for about half a watt (or less) on VHF. There's no power difference whether I have it set to high or low power on VHF frequencies.

As for the other bands, the meter shows 0.0W when I try transmitting on 10m, 6m, or 1.25m bands into a dummy load. I still can't recommend transmitting on the 2m band, since the radio isn't designed for that. But, in an emergency, it's nice to know that this is possible.
    Alright, here's the deal:
    It's important to keep our phones up to date. Ulefone doesn't seem to want to support updates to Android 10 or 11. Also, we paid extra for the walkie talkie function, I think we should be able to use it on the latest Roms.

So, I pulled the Intercom app from the Atom XL, which comes with Android 10. I found which libraries and binaries are necessary to run the app on the Armor 3WT. Threw all that into a magisk module along with a few modifications and signed it with Havoc's platform keys, and here we are. It receives, it transmits, it saves audio. It's not perfect, I would say it's about 85% functional.

Issues:
    1) Hardware PTT button does not work.
    2) The extmodule service does not start on boot.

Instructions:
    Here are the steps to use the magisk module:
    1) Flash an Android 10 GSI and Magisk. reboot and setup your ROM.
    2) Install magisk module and reboot.
    3) Go to app settings for Intercom. Grant Microphone and Storage permission. Turn off battery optimization for Intercom.
    4) open a terminal emulator (install from Play store or F-Droid)
    5) type 'su -c extmodule' (this should show a few lines of output and then stay running)
    6) run the Intercom app.

Steps 4-6 need to be done after every reboot.

I'm not sure if I can help with any problems, but let me know of any other issues anyway. I take no responsibility for any issues. This is all experimental.