[Q] Tried Heimdall One-Click. Never finished, now USB won't recognize. Bricked phone?

Search This thread

NateTheGreatt

Oct 20, 2010
I was previously running MIUI (not sure which version) and something went wrong with it. Random processes just kept "unexpectedly stopping." I found the Heimdall One-Click and tried it. The process never finished (failed to upload FACTORYFS everytime :/). I tried checking the Flash Bootloaders option. It got the FACTORYFS upload percent a bit further along, but still failed. Opened up Odin, and it wouldn't find any device plugged in.

After a couple more tries at this, suddenly, no matter which USB port I plug in to, my computer fails to recognize the device when previously it would on a couple specific ports. Odin will not recognize it, either.

Am I screwed?

Edit:

I've gotten the USB to recognize. I'm scared to do anything now, for fear I won't get it to recognize again. Odin still does not see the device. What other tools can I use to unbrick this?

Last edited:

rxnelson

Aug 30, 2011
I believe the driver for heimdall "takes over" the port. You have to use a different port or uninstall the driver to use Odin on it again. Also it seems when the upload won't complete most have success with another cable....nothing wrong with qksters uclb3 return to stock. I've used it several times.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Reactions: qkster

Chaplain Dennis

Mar 14, 2012
I had the same issue a few days ago. SCARED me to...
Powered the phone off.
Unpluged USB
Rebooted Windows PC
Rebooted phone
Started at step one again
This time try another USB Port on computer
This time everything worked

Reactions: bradbusa

cobraa783

Feb 5, 2012
unistall

i had the same thing happen the other day i opened device manager and unistalled the driver for the phone then pluged the phone back in let it reistall and away i went may have to reistall drivers from kies

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
All you need to do is install Samsung drivers again or switch USB ports. The LibUSB Zadig drivers are installed on a single USB port. No need to uninstall anything at all. Heimdall drivers are only installed to the USB port you had the device plugged into when you installed the drivers.

A better option would be to dual boot into Linux and One-Click just works every time.

It sounds like you are using a bad cable. Try using Heimdall one-click with a good cable. It works every time.

Reactions: bradbusa and qkster

cobraa783

Feb 5, 2012
All you need to do is install Samsung drivers again or switch USB ports. The LibUSB Zadig drivers are installed on a single USB port. No need to uninstall anything at all. Heimdall drivers are only installed to the USB port you had the device plugged into when you installed the drivers.

A better option would be to dual boot into Linux and One-Click just works every time.

It sounds like you are using a bad cable. Try using Heimdall one-click with a good cable. It works every time.

That works if you don't have to jumble things around to switch USB ports and/or your computer is set up for dual boot the other option would be to run a virtual disk that runs linux

bradbusa

Jun 3, 2011
just wanted to chime in here and verify. had a similar problem with odin not working after using heimdall.. used another usb port and odin now sees my infuse.. no problems. thanks guys

dde333

Mar 2, 2012
Atlanta
Also, wanna say that, for some reason, I had better luck using different version of Odin. Can't remember exactly but I think 1.7 worked & 1.8 didn't - not at PC right now to verify.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using XDA

qkster

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 5, 2011
USA
once you install zadig...driver installation for heimdall, it takes over that 1 port.
you can always go back to that 1 port or designate it for heimdall.
odin will not be usable for that port unless you re install samsung drivers again.

I have an (old -6yrs) pc with 1 usb same cord ($1) and 1 usb back port...same 1 for 6 months with heimdall - never had to mess with anything else...successful restore everytime...
use what you're comfortable with.
save that 1 configuration as your rescue if possible.

grtdrgn

Oct 15, 2012
This topic was as close as I could find to my issue... Heimdall One-Click Kernel...

First of all, let me say that I appreciate all the work everyone has done on the Infuse forums. It has expanded my knowledge by leaps and bounds just by reading for about 5 hours today. I know this will be a long post, and I apologize. I am just trying to show that I have done everything (so far) that is within my ability to try.

I inherited a "mostly working" (sound doesn't work at all) AT&T Infuse 4G, and am trying to install CWM and root the bugger in order to use it on WiFi as a mini tablet. I Do Not have a SIM card for it (I am on SIMple Mobile, not AT&T), and do not plan to use it for calls (already have a phone for that). It was already running UCLB3, but I wasn't sure if that was how the phone came, or if it had been upgraded from Froyo at some point with or without the bootloaders. I had planned to play with this phone some and maybe try out some Jelly Bean since my T-Mobile G2x has lost most of the wonderful devs that it had.

First, I used the Settings>Privacy>Factory Data Reset to clear all the information on my phone and my internal SD card. I made sure that Java was the latest version on my laptop and DL'd qkster's [ROM] [2.3.6] Heimdall One-click Back-To-Stock UCLB3. I spent the next 2 hours reading and re-reading the OP and all the resulting posts to make sure I had a firm grasp on how to do everything. I first booted into stock Recovery and did another Factory Reset from there and also cleared Cache. I booted into Download mode on the Infuse 4G and ran Heimdall One-Click. Installed the Heimdall driver, closed all programs, rebooted the computer, went back into Heimdall One-Click, put the phone back into Download mode, clicked Flash, waited for phone to reboot, turned phone off, went back into Download mode and flashed again, this time with BL checked.

This entire process went off without a hitch. Phone boots into GB and all is glittery gold. It's when I come to the next step in the thread that I started having the issue. Again, from an overabundance of caution, I made sure that I read the thread again, absorbing all the information pertinent to loading the Kernels from One-Click. Deciding to try InfuZen-A16 Kernel, I downloaded it and ran it just as I had the previous One-Click. Opened the .jar, booted the phone to Download mode, clicked Flash, and let the phone reboot. Uh oh. Samsung splash screen is staying on my screen now...

Maybe it just needs a while to process. Left the phone plugged in so it wouldn't lose too much battery life and went and did some more reading on the forums. 5 minutes, still Samsung screen. 10 minutes, still Samsung... No biggie, I'll just read some more. Maybe this is just a longer process than I thought. 30 minutes later, still Samsung. Okay, something must be wrong... Hold down power button to shut it off. 3 minutes holding button, still on. Battery pull...

3-button workout for recovery... Nope, no such luck, still showing the persistent Samsung screen. Back to Heimdall One-Click for recovery to UCBL3. That works. Back into stock :( recovery. Again, Factory Reset, clear Cache. Download mode, try again. Flash InfuZen-A16 Kernel a couple more times (flashing back to Stock between attempts), using a different USB cable and different USB ports, but still same thing each time, leaving the phone for at least 15 minutes on the Samsung splash screen to see if it moves anywhere. I then tried the ENTROPY512's 4.4.2012 kernel, hoping for different results. Same thing. Tried it 2 more times with different cables and different ports. Each time that I flashed back to Stock, it worked on each USB port and cable I was trying, so I don't "think" it could be the cables or the ports that are causing the issue.

Any help is greatly appreciated. It is my understanding that to get root on UCLB3 and above, I need to have CWM installed, but other than Heimdall One-Click Kernels, the only way to get CWM on a phone is by having it already Rooted. If I am erroneous in this understanding, please point it out and I will happily do my due diligence to fix my own problem.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone gives me.

The custom GB kernels for infuse start a file system conversion immediately upon reboot (from rfs to ext4). If your sound was working, you would hear a robotic female voice providing status updates. This process typically takes no more than 20 minutes to complete, usually less.

If the phone is just sitting there at a samsung logo, try leaving it longer to see if it completes and boots the phone OS.

If it still doesn't work, try the jscott30 Odin package instead:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=27286083
Here are the custom kernels in Odin packages:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1698367

IMPORTANT: If you try Odin, use a different USB port than the one you set up for Heimdall. Reserve the Heimdall port for only Heimdall flashing.

For Heimdall, make sure you are using this one (kernels in posts 2 & 3):
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1524081
(looks like you are based on the files you referenced above)

Regardless, make sure your USB connection is 100% reliable and you do not interrupt the flashing process - otherwise you may brick the phone.

Last edited:

grtdrgn

Oct 15, 2012
Thanks for the reply, Zen. I'll try it again when I get home and just let it run for at least an hour.
I have a minor aversion to using Odin, just because it is closed source as opposed to open source for Heimdall. I will take it under advisement, though.
Thanks for all the words of wisdom you give to all the members of xda. :thumbup:

*edit* - Well, decided to just let it ride for over an hour. Took an extended nap after I got home, so after flashing, the phone has been on the Samsung screen for well over 3 hours. I am going to presume that the Heimdall kernel install packages are a no go for me. I will read up on Odin and give it a shot. Thanks again. - *edit*

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:
Reactions: Zen Arcade

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The custom GB kernels for infuse start a file system conversion immediately upon reboot (from rfs to ext4). If your sound was working, you would hear a robotic female voice providing status updates. This process typically takes no more than 20 minutes to complete, usually less.

If the phone is just sitting there at a samsung logo, try leaving it longer to see if it completes and boots the phone OS.

If it still doesn't work, try the jscott30 Odin package instead:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=27286083
    Here are the custom kernels in Odin packages:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1698367

IMPORTANT: If you try Odin, use a different USB port than the one you set up for Heimdall. Reserve the Heimdall port for only Heimdall flashing.

For Heimdall, make sure you are using this one (kernels in posts 2 & 3):
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1524081
    (looks like you are based on the files you referenced above)

Regardless, make sure your USB connection is 100% reliable and you do not interrupt the flashing process - otherwise you may brick the phone.
    I believe the driver for heimdall "takes over" the port. You have to use a different port or uninstall the driver to use Odin on it again. Also it seems when the upload won't complete most have success with another cable....nothing wrong with qksters uclb3 return to stock. I've used it several times.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    I had the same issue a few days ago. SCARED me to...
    Powered the phone off.
    Unpluged USB
    Rebooted Windows PC
    Rebooted phone
    Started at step one again
    This time try another USB Port on computer
    This time everything worked
    I've had this happen before. After much panicking, I used GTG unbrick.

Thread located here → http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1116251

download is here → http://www.mediafire.com/?i57410xodydx5l1

Follow it verbatim. Worked like a charm!