[ROM] Galaxy S II HD SHV-E120L ROM with working SMS

Search This thread

sorg

Sep 5, 2006
台灣
Disclaimer: Everything you flash and modify at your own risk.

At first: my recovery.
The only custom recovery i could find for E120L is from Tegrak.
Unfortunatelly it's too buggy and couldn't install any of my updates.
That's why i've made my own recovery. So, to install my ROM, you need to flash my recovery. It covers functionality of Tegrak's recovery.

- based on official UE11 (Android 4.0.3) recovery
- adbd starts as root
- local (independed from system's) busybox.
- independent from main system partition and boot image. So, you can still use my recovery if system partition is broken.
- verification of signature has been patched out. So, you can install any hand-made zip.

E120L_recovery_by_sorg_v2.zip

Unzip it and Flash TAR file in Odin as PDA part.

To enter recovery mode:
1) Turn phone OFF
2) Press VolUp + VolDown + Power buttons at the same time
3) Keep buttons pressed till "SAMSUNG" word disappear.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is my version of ROM for E120L.

- based on E120L UE11
- English (default) and Korean languages.
- deodexed/zipaligned
- rooted (SuperSU 0.89)
- adbd starts in root mode.
- busybox
- fast dormancy off
- SMS send/receive of any lenght (both ANSI and Unicode) should work (see descripion below)
- SMS application replaced to customized one from i9100.
- added + to button 0 in dialer
- removed video call unavailability notification icon from status bar
- boot/shutdown animations/sounds are taken from E120S (original were too boring)

There was no intention to clean ROM from Korean bloatware. The main purpose of my ROM is to make this phone working. When main functionality will start to work as in normal phone (especially SMS functions) then it's possible to clean it.

flash procedure:
1) Put this E120L_UE11_v5b_by_Sorg.zip to MicroSD
2) insert MicroSD to your E120L and boot into recovery (my recovery) mode.
3) choose "apply update from external storage" and choose E120L_UE11_v5b_by_Sorg.zip
4) go back to main recovery menu and then choose "wipe data/factory reset". Note: you HAVE to do this in order to make my ROM work correctly. It doesn't matter which ROM you've used before. Even after stock UE11 you have to wipe the data.
5) choose "reboot system now"

First boot will take some time. Be patient :)

About SMS: For me it works fine now. I can send any length of SMS with both ANSI and Unicode encodings. Also i can receive SMS with any length and with correct caller id.
Thats was the main purpose of creating this ROM.
But, some users reported they still cannot send SMS... Currently i have not much details to figure out where is the problem.
So, try my ROM and tell if SMS functions are working for you or not.

Download:
E120L_UE11_v5c_by_Sorg.zip

E120L_UE11_v6.1_by_Sorg.zip

Changelog:

v6.1:
- cleaned from bloatware
- better fix for SMS. Now should work without problems with any 3rd party SMS app.
- GO Launcher Ex as a main launcher
- 15 configurable toggles (QuickPanel Settings)
- Circle Battery mod
- Extended Power Menu
- Some tweaks in Recent menu (long click on Home button)
- LGU Hidden menu doesn't require password
- MyPhoneNumber Utility
- Boot/Shutdown animations from SGS3
- some other fixes
This version is still based on UE11 ROM as a stable and well explored by me.
I don't have SHV-E120L anymore (traded it to SHV-E210K), so this is my last ROM for SHV-E120L.

v5c:
- missed SMS didn't shown on lockscreen
- added correct AMSS and MDM parts to ROM to make sure modem version compatible with ROM version.

v5b:
- first release.

P.S.:
If you cannot send SMS then it's because your SIM-card has no "my phone number".
Install attached MyPhoneNumber (v6.1 already includes it) utility and write your own number there (starting with +). Number will be saved to your SIM-card and SMS will start to work.

P.P.S.: Some users complain for bad GPS. In case you have this problem, you may download attached GPS fix. Install it through recovery.

Attachments

• MyPhoneNumber_signed.apk
    22.7 KB · Views: 2,467
  • gps_fix3.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,506
Last edited:

sorg

Sep 5, 2006
台灣
I don't accept requests for adding/removing applications.
But bugreports are welcome!

Last edited:

neverborn

Aug 9, 2010
Eager to know how this ROM turns out. My friend (who bought my E120L) is eager to get on ICS - I just need a rom that's stable so i can flash it for her.

Quick question - do other SMS apps work?

Reactions: changguangyu

bananana

Sep 5, 2007
This is Cool!

I am using E120L too!

Is this ROM 4.03?

Stay tuned!:D

---------- Post added at 08:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

I see the hope for getting a perfect ROM for E120L in the near future, hahaha!!

---------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

Thank you for your contribution Sorg!

xenitu

Dec 16, 2010
Adana
Sorg you did a great job. Unfortunately as a shv- e120k user i cannot flash your rom to my device. I recently tried to install the sms application from gt- I9100 to my device. But I could not suceed to run it. Can you tell me how you did it?

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

sorg

Sep 5, 2006
台灣
Sorg you did a great job. Unfortunately as a shv- e120k user i cannot flash your rom to my device. I recently tried to install the sms application from gt- I9100 to my device. But I could not suceed to run it. Can you tell me how you did it?

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

You misunderstood my post. SMS application alone won't fix the issue. I did many other changes. It cannot be simply transferred to another ROM...

Brolly916

Apr 3, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
thanks alot sorg for this rom ... now my e120l is working perfectly.... the only thing i noticed that is not working is the msg delivery report (it is not a big deal ) from both stock app and even from gosms

sorg

Sep 5, 2006
台灣
thanks alot sorg for this rom ... now my e120l is working perfectly.... the only thing i noticed that is not working is the msg delivery report (it is not a big deal ) from both stock app and even from gosms

so, you can send and receive SMS of any length?
Of so, then it's good. At least it works not only for me, but also for someone else :)

Actually, i never used delivery report. I may look into this problem, but not sure if i will be able to fis it.
Anyway, it's not a big deal if won't work ;)

sorg

Sep 5, 2006
台灣
if someone have problem with SMS, then:

1) check Settings -> About Phone -> Status -> My Phone Number. Do you see your phone number there?
2) In contacts application, click Set up profile (Me) and write your mobile number there (in international form, starting with + sign). Restart phone and try SMS again.

sorg

Sep 5, 2006
台灣
Dear Sorg

Will you consider port S3 ROM (Multilingual with cool features) to E120L?

S3 Rom: http://bbs.gfan.com/android-4369511-1-1.html?extra=page=1

期待!!!!!

nope. They are completely different devices. Samsung apps tied to framework, while framework tied to native libraries (/system/lib), but native libraries are platform depended and cannot be transferred from S3 to S2 HD.

May be port of S3 LTE to S2 HD will be possible since both platform are similar (not the same though) - Quallcomm Snapdragon. But again, not much hope there.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer: Everything you flash and modify at your own risk.

At first: my recovery.
    The only custom recovery i could find for E120L is from Tegrak.
    Unfortunatelly it's too buggy and couldn't install any of my updates.
    That's why i've made my own recovery. So, to install my ROM, you need to flash my recovery. It covers functionality of Tegrak's recovery.

- based on official UE11 (Android 4.0.3) recovery
    - adbd starts as root
    - local (independed from system's) busybox.
    - independent from main system partition and boot image. So, you can still use my recovery if system partition is broken.
    - verification of signature has been patched out. So, you can install any hand-made zip.

E120L_recovery_by_sorg_v2.zip

Unzip it and Flash TAR file in Odin as PDA part.

To enter recovery mode:
    1) Turn phone OFF
    2) Press VolUp + VolDown + Power buttons at the same time
    3) Keep buttons pressed till "SAMSUNG" word disappear.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is my version of ROM for E120L.

- based on E120L UE11
    - English (default) and Korean languages.
    - deodexed/zipaligned
    - rooted (SuperSU 0.89)
    - adbd starts in root mode.
    - busybox
    - fast dormancy off
    - SMS send/receive of any lenght (both ANSI and Unicode) should work (see descripion below)
    - SMS application replaced to customized one from i9100.
    - added + to button 0 in dialer
    - removed video call unavailability notification icon from status bar
    - boot/shutdown animations/sounds are taken from E120S (original were too boring)

There was no intention to clean ROM from Korean bloatware. The main purpose of my ROM is to make this phone working. When main functionality will start to work as in normal phone (especially SMS functions) then it's possible to clean it.

flash procedure:
    1) Put this E120L_UE11_v5b_by_Sorg.zip to MicroSD
    2) insert MicroSD to your E120L and boot into recovery (my recovery) mode.
    3) choose "apply update from external storage" and choose E120L_UE11_v5b_by_Sorg.zip
    4) go back to main recovery menu and then choose "wipe data/factory reset". Note: you HAVE to do this in order to make my ROM work correctly. It doesn't matter which ROM you've used before. Even after stock UE11 you have to wipe the data.
    5) choose "reboot system now"

First boot will take some time. Be patient :)

About SMS: For me it works fine now. I can send any length of SMS with both ANSI and Unicode encodings. Also i can receive SMS with any length and with correct caller id.
    Thats was the main purpose of creating this ROM.
    But, some users reported they still cannot send SMS... Currently i have not much details to figure out where is the problem.
    So, try my ROM and tell if SMS functions are working for you or not.

Download:
    E120L_UE11_v5c_by_Sorg.zip

E120L_UE11_v6.1_by_Sorg.zip

Changelog:

v6.1:
    - cleaned from bloatware
    - better fix for SMS. Now should work without problems with any 3rd party SMS app.
    - GO Launcher Ex as a main launcher
    - 15 configurable toggles (QuickPanel Settings)
    - Circle Battery mod
    - Extended Power Menu
    - Some tweaks in Recent menu (long click on Home button)
    - LGU Hidden menu doesn't require password
    - MyPhoneNumber Utility
    - Boot/Shutdown animations from SGS3
    - some other fixes
    This version is still based on UE11 ROM as a stable and well explored by me.
    I don't have SHV-E120L anymore (traded it to SHV-E210K), so this is my last ROM for SHV-E120L.

v5c:
    - missed SMS didn't shown on lockscreen
    - added correct AMSS and MDM parts to ROM to make sure modem version compatible with ROM version.

v5b:
    - first release.

P.S.:
    If you cannot send SMS then it's because your SIM-card has no "my phone number".
    Install attached MyPhoneNumber (v6.1 already includes it) utility and write your own number there (starting with +). Number will be saved to your SIM-card and SMS will start to work.

P.P.S.: Some users complain for bad GPS. In case you have this problem, you may download attached GPS fix. Install it through recovery.

so, you can send and receive SMS of any length?
    Of so, then it's good. At least it works not only for me, but also for someone else :)

Actually, i never used delivery report. I may look into this problem, but not sure if i will be able to fis it.
    Anyway, it's not a big deal if won't work ;)
    Eager to know how this ROM turns out. My friend (who bought my E120L) is eager to get on ICS - I just need a rom that's stable so i can flash it for her.

Quick question - do other SMS apps work?
    I've attached MyPhoneNumber utility to the first post.
    I tested SMS, it seems not relevant to phone no. Settings, I set my phone no. Still doesn't send SMS, after I set INPUT MODE to Unicode rather than Auto, it's working now.

BTW, I deleted all bundled Korean apps, it has no side effect, the ROM Still working nicely.