?? What do i use to ROOT Verizon DE stock.. I am confused..

Search This thread

ejason

Dec 15, 2010
I have rooted every phone i've had and for some reason the MOTO X is confusing me! The phone is a bone stock developers Ed. 4.2.2 pre camera.
I am confused as to which jcase method to use or if there is another option.
I am guessing PwnMyMoto 1.4.3 verizon. but i'm not sure.
Any help would be fantastic.
Thanks,
J

Cozume

Jan 30, 2014
I have rooted every phone i've had and for some reason the MOTO X is confusing me! The phone is a bone stock developers Ed. 4.2.2 pre camera.
Thanks,
J

PwnMyMoto and jcase's methods are for locked bootloaders. You first need to unlock your bootloader. Then you need to decide if you want to take the OTA to 4.4 or not because once you upgrade to 4.2.2 post-camera, you can never downgrade to 4.2.2 pre-camera without bricking your device.

If you want to upgrade to 4.4, here are the instructions to unlock and gain root:

[STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS] Unlocking and Rooting a Dev Ed Moto X Running Kit Kat

I have read of others who kept the 4.2.2 bootloader and other partitions and just selectively flashed those partitions they wanted as each new upgrade's sbf firmware was released. I don't know what advantages there are to doing that.

tcrews

May 4, 2010
android.snkbitten.com
Thanks,
J

It's a Developer Edition. Take all the updates available (4.2.2 camera update, 4.4 and now 4.4.2). Get the unlock code from Motorola and unlock your bootloader. Once that is done, flash twrp recovery and then install root via twrp.

Very simple on Dev Editions just because you can unlock the bootloader and flash an alternate recovery (twrp, cwm, etc..).

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
I agree. Unlock your bootloader (Doesn't void warranty on Developer Edition), flash TWRP recovery, then boot to TWRP and install/flash SuperSU. And it doesn't matter what ROM version you're running. (there is a TWRP for 4.2.2 and one for 4.4/4.4.2).

As mentioned, the bootloader included in the android versions can prevent you from downgrading the rom version. (i.e. bootloader in 4.4.2 prevents you from downgrading to any previous ROM). Why would you want to downgrade? If you have a locked bootloader, you'd want to downgrade to be able to use the root processes needed when you have a locked bootloader. But if you have an unlocked bootloader, because you can flash an alternate recovery (not possible with locked bootloader) and root no matter what ROM version you have installed, the only reason to downgrade would be if you encounter a bug you can't deal with that isn't present in the older roms.

because 4.4.2 fixes the exchange and bluetooth issues, and doesn't introduce anything new, its suggested you update to 4.4.2 if you have an unlocked boot loader (4.4.2 isn't rootable on locked bootloaders and may not be, so its recommended that those with locked bootloaders who want to root stick with 4.4).

ejason

Dec 15, 2010
I agree. Unlock your bootloader (Doesn't void warranty on Developer Edition), flash TWRP recovery, then boot to TWRP and install/flash SuperSU. And it doesn't matter what ROM version you're running. (there is a TWRP for 4.2.2 and one for 4.4/4.4.2).
I didn't know there was a different TWRP for 4.2.2.
As mentioned, the bootloader included in the android versions can prevent you from downgrading the rom version. (i.e. bootloader in 4.4.2 prevents you from downgrading to any previous ROM). Why would you want to downgrade? If you have a locked bootloader, you'd want to downgrade to be able to use the root processes needed when you have a locked bootloader. But if you have an unlocked bootloader, because you can flash an alternate recovery (not possible with locked bootloader) and root no matter what ROM version you have installed, the only reason to downgrade would be if you encounter a bug you can't deal with that isn't present in the older roms.

because 4.4.2 fixes the exchange and bluetooth issues, and doesn't introduce anything new, its suggested you update to 4.4.2 if you have an unlocked boot loader (4.4.2 isn't rootable on locked bootloaders and may not be, so its recommended that those with locked bootloaders who want to root stick with 4.4).
From what i have read 4.4.2 isn't rootable at all. Even if you have an unlocked bootloader. Is that correct?
Great info, thanks.

I thought that the Verizon DE already had an unlocked bootloader? Or is it like an HTC where i have to go the the MOTOROLA webite and get a code?
I did something like that for an HTC ONE i have on straight talk. I unlocked the bootloader from the HTC website, then installed TWRP, and then rooted and its running a 4.4.2 ROM that is great.

Schaweet

Aug 2, 2010
I thought that the Verizon DE already had an unlocked bootloader? Or is it like an HTC where i have to go the the MOTOROLA webite and get a code?

There are directions on a 1 page pamphlet that came with your VZW DE on how to unlock the bootloader.

Sent from my Dev Edition Moto X

ejason

Dec 15, 2010
Ok, so i have my phone unlocked, updated to 4.4 and for some reason i can not flash the TWRP.
I get the error (bootloader) variable not supported!
Any ideas.
I have tried both mfastboot and fastboot and i get nothing.
I also moved all files into another folder and CD into that folder and still the same error.
Can i install the TWRP with goo manager?

Teksu

Jun 9, 2010
Ok, so i have my phone unlocked, updated to 4.4 and for some reason i can not flash the TWRP.
Any ideas.
I also moved all files into another folder and CD into that folder and still the same error.
Can i install the TWRP with goo manager?

did it finish flashing? mine says that when i flash a recovery also, but it flashes.
after you flash it dont reboot, just go into recovery (volume down to move the selection, volume up to execute)

then select reboot system, and it will ask if you want to root.

ejason

Dec 15, 2010
ok, so i have my phone unlocked, updated to 4.4 and for some reason i can not flash the twrp.
Any ideas.
I also moved all files into another folder and cd into that folder and still the same error.
Can i install the twrp with goo manager?

ok, thanks for everyones hellp. Done and done..