Search This thread

Saber

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 9, 2014
Melbourne
joshualay.xyz
Xiaomi Poco F3
Increasing system partition size

Since there is no official thread for increasing the system partition size (not data partition size as there is one already), I've decided to make a thread. :)

Disclaimer:

#include <std_disclaimer.h>
/*
* Your warranty is now void.
* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this tool
* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
* you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
*/

This process will wipe all of your data off your phone. This includes all of your apps, system storage and internal sd card. It doesn't wipe your external sd card. Make sure to backup all of your apps and data to the cloud, micro sd card or onto a computer

Make a backup!! Why am I saying this again? Because there is always a few careless people who do this process and complain how they lost all of their data.

If you try to use the modified system partition with stock rom, your rom will not boot! You must revert to stock system partition sizes first then install stock rom!

What you need:
- A Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100 16GB International variant. You must have this model otherwise you will brick your device! Other models can use the lanchon repit tool.
- A kernel in .tar format. I highly recommend gustavo kernel as it doesn't suffer the formatting problem that dorimanx (using default recovery) or apolo kernel (TWRP) does. Pre-made files Update: DorimanX kernel supports isorec recoveries in the newest builds. Flashing a isorec recovery will remove this formatting limit and will be usable in all partition sizes.
- System pit files (Provided in the attachments)
- A PC (preferably Windows, if using OS X or linux, use JOdin instead!)
- A archiving/compression utility such as 7-zip or winrar. I recommend 7-zip because it is for free and it is open source.
- ODIN (to flash the kernel of course, again use JOdin for linux and OS X). Also, I have made ODIN installation easier with fewer options! :)

Benefits
Why do people increase the partition sizes? Here are some reasons why:
- Can allocate more storage space for more apps (removes the need for moving apps to sd card)
- Allows people to upgrade to android lollipop or marshmallow easier (if you don't want to go through any messages saying that there isn't enough space)
- Since it will delete everything, this will restore all lost space taken up by apps and other programs
- Gapps (Google Apps) will be much easier to install (you can choose larger gapps file if you want, only if you increase system partition). For CM12.1 and CM13, re-partitioning has become a necessity before flashing current gapps packages.
- Can fix soft bricks. However hard bricks can not be solved this way!
- Can fix problems with partition errors

Please note that this guide requires a PC and a working USB jack. If you don't meet these requirements, use lanchon's tool instead!

CM13 Nightlies have been released. Please note that the link to the premade .tar kernels are compatible up to Android Lollipop. You will still be able to repartition your device using Lollipop kernel! Since you will be reflashing or restoring CM13 during the process, marshmallow kernels are not required!

Instructions
  1. Make a recovery backup (CWM or TWRP) onto your external sd card or PC (VERY IMPORTANT!!! All backups in internal sd card will be deleted so move them!)
  2. Download the system pit files (attached in OP)
  3. Extract the pit zip file
  4. Open ODIN (Attached in the OP, JOdin for linux and OS X)
  5. Connect your phone to your PC via USB while in download mode (make sure your phone is detected on ODIN, it should say COM:{number})
  6. Click on the PIT button and locate and select your desired pit file
  7. Click on PDA or AP and select your kernel .tar file (look at this post if you don't have one: Pre-made kernel tar Link)
  8. Make sure that re-partition has been ticked then click start. If your phone successfully flashes, move onto the next step. If not, try changing usb ports, changing ODIN version, changing pit files or seeing if your device has a corrupt nand (or broken). If your memory chip is corrupt or broken, you won't be able to flash with ODIN (and you will need to buy a new motherboard). If you are still unsure what to do, look at the screenshot in the attachments.
  9. Disconnect the USB cable. Take out your phone battery, then re-insert it.
  10. Press and hold button combinations (home button + power button + volume up) to boot into recovery. You only need to hold for about 5 seconds.
  11. If you have CWM recovery, go to mounts and storage then select format /sd card0 or /internal sd card. Select default and your internal sd card should successfully format. If not, try ext4 format. If you have TWRP recovery, you will need to go to wipe>advanced and select format emmc or /sd card0, then swipe to confirm . If you can successfully format your phone here, skip steps 11, 12, 13, 14. Note: DorimanX kernel doesn't support ext4 formatted sd cards. You will need to format your sd cards to vfat or fat32 for DorimanX kernel to detect.

----IF FORMATTING FAILS IN RECOVERY----
  12. Connect your phone back to your PC.
  13. If formatting sd card in recovery fails, connect your phone to your PC. While still in recovery (CWM), go to mounts and storage and select mount mass storage. If you have TWRP recovery, go to mount and select mount sd card. It should prompt you that the storage isn't ready yet and you need to format. If your PC still doesn't detect your phone, check if the proper drivers are installed (in attachments). Also, if your phone doesn't get detected and you've done everything in this step, try changing usb ports, computers and even usb cables.
  14. Click format
  15. You can leave all of the settings to default, I personally like to change the allocation size to 4KB (4KB is good if you want to make the most out of your phone's storage while having enough speed)
  16. Click format.

----AFTER SUCCESSFULLY FORMATTING----
  17. Go back to your phone. You can choose to restore from your backup or install a new rom. If you choose to restore from a backup, skip all of the remaining steps. (Note: DorimanX kernel recoveries can not format /data partition more than 2gb, use an alternative first when restoring a backup then flash back if needed)
  18. In mounts and storage, choose format /data, /cache and /system (Note: DorimanX kernel recoveries can not format /data partition more than 2gb, use an alternative first then flash back if needed)
  19. Now you can flash a ROM as you normally would

Huge thanks to ElGamal for providing the modified pit files and metalgearhathaway for providing the stock pit file and the.gangster for providing the 1.5GB system pit files.

I have included pit files that will resize your system partition to 1GB or 1.5GB (depending on your choice).
Data partition sizes range from 3GB up to 6GB. The rest is for your internal data storage.
Everything has been nicely labeled so please pay attention to which pit file you select!

I don't recommend using the 32MB Preload pits because they can cause problems with some ROMs.
If you get bootloops, flash a pit with a smaller data partition size!

I've also included ODIN and Samsung drivers in the attachments

Too difficult for you? Try Lanchon's flashable repartition zip

Attachments

• SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_1.5.49.0.zip
    15.7 MB · Views: 36,378
  • Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    105.9 KB · Views: 56,774
  • pit_files.zip
    3.3 KB · Views: 58,346
Last edited:

buddy1234567

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
Followed this guide to step 10 (formatting with Apolo's kernel) but I was not prompted to format the SD... Windows does not recognize the phone anymore even though the phone boots to TeamWin's recovery just fine. Any ideas?

UPDATE: I flashed Gustavo's kernel as well and have the same problem: Windows does not recognize the device. It does make the beep-beep indicating a connection is being established and it does suggest that it's installing drivers (though they're already installed), and then tells me that it can't find the drivers for a GT-I9100 . I tried the same process on a completely separate machine with no joy. All help very, very welcome.

Last edited:

Saber

Apr 9, 2014
Melbourne
joshualay.xyz
Xiaomi Poco F3
Followed this guide to step 10 (formatting with Apolo's kernel) but I was not prompted to format the SD... Windows does not recognize the phone anymore even though the phone boots to TeamWin's recovery just fine. Any ideas?

Have you tried formatting via recovery? Can you mount the sd cards manually? Try cwm recovery instead of twrp.

Saber

Apr 9, 2014
Melbourne
joshualay.xyz
Xiaomi Poco F3

UPDATE: I flashed Gustavo's kernel as well and have the same problem: Windows does not recognize the device. It does make the beep-beep indicating a connection is being established and it does suggest that it's installing drivers (though they're already installed), and then tells me that it can't find the drivers for a GT-I9100 . I tried the same process on a completely separate machine with no joy. All help very, very welcome.

You know you can format sd card in recovery. Try that first. If your PC doesn't detect drivers for your phone, you will have to install them manually with the samsung USB drivers (in attachments). I've also updated the guide. :)

buddy1234567

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
Thanks for the help! A couple of quick things:
- I installed the samsung drivers above before I started the process, I tried uninstalling them and re-installing and still no joy. At the moment, when I plug in the phone via USB cable I get three quick successive beeps (previously, running Lysergic's LP 5.0.2 this process was working fine and windows recognized the storage folder)
- what type should /sdcard0 be formatted to (ext2/ext4/ntfs...?)
- how does one mount the sdcard manually? I have looked around and there dosen't seem to be a 'guide' per se...

UPDATE: I formatted /data, /cache, /system, /sd card (using 'default' for formatting type) and couldn't find /datadata or /emmc... Windows still gives me three quicks successive beeps and does not recognize the device...

UPDATE2: After mounting both /sdcard and /usb connection in CWM recovery using Gustavo's kernel, Windows recognized the device and I was able to copy rom and gapps and then flash. I didn't realize there was an option to mount /usb connection (!).

Last edited:

shurka

Oct 4, 2013
i become the message: "E:Unable to mount '/emmc'

ok, I wanted to change my partition so that I can test lollipop.
But now I would rather do have the kitkat.
Now I have the problem that I can not access my internal memory. I can not load the EMMC. I urge you to help.
I have the pit file taken 1GB 3GB. What can I tuen to reload KitKat can. Also, I have since re these yellow triangle.
How can I register these unregistering.

Last edited:

4D4N

Feb 14, 2010
Paris
Working <flawless>

Hi
This worked for my i9100P
Now i got 4Go for my apps
Running CM12 Beta13 from Lysergic Acid
All good for now
Many thanks

Shanliang-

Jun 2, 2013
shansblog.byethost7.com
I followed all the steps and it worked. Now I have 1GB system, 4GB Data. There were a couple of bumps on the road:

- At first, Odin would show Fail!, but after I connected the phone in a different USB port, it worked.
- The first kernel I used was Apollo 8.3 TWRP but I couldn't either format or mount the internal storage in that recovery.
- So I repeated the procedure but this time using this Gustavo's CWM kernel for ODIN created by the OP, and in recovery I was able to format internal storage without issues (by the way, I selected default from the formatting options).

Thanks for the guide.

Reactions: marcobaudo

cikenkari

Oct 7, 2011
I don't include pit files with modified preload partition as it can cause some phones to bootloop.
eoq---

Since only stock ROM is using preload partition, i quess it's safe... could you direct me to PIT file of (1GB system, 3 GB DATA, 45MB or less preload)?

thanks

nevermind...

Last edited:

gigley

Sep 2, 2012
when should I flash this mod? at stock ROM or at Lollipop

hey guys

because of the problems that my phone has at the moment I have to install the stock ROM and work my way up to Lollipop. When is it better to use this mod. Right after I go to stock or can I wait untill after I Have installed Lollipop?

RuffBuster

Feb 3, 2012
hey guys

because of the problems that my phone has at the moment I have to install the stock ROM and work my way up to Lollipop. When is it better to use this mod. Right after I go to stock or can I wait untill after I Have installed Lollipop?

Best before installing LP as it will wipe data and SD 0

Last edited:
Please help, can't enter recovery

Edit: All seems to be ok. Maybe I was to stupid to press the buttons the right way... :silly: Maybe the Odin screenshot helps somebody, so I only hide my post instead of erasin it.

Hi folks,

I have read the tutorial more then once and I was sure that i can do all steps the right way. But now, after I clicked "Go" in Odin, I can't get my S2 to work. My phone booted up and I wanted to enter the recovery with Vol up, Home and Power, but it doesn't work.

I entered the download mode again an started the procedere for another time, but again, I can't enter the recovery.

Here is a Screenshot from my Odin

Odin_Screen.JPG

Thx in advance!

Last edited:

Saber

Apr 9, 2014
Melbourne
joshualay.xyz
Xiaomi Poco F3
any chance that the OP can provide or will do
a 1 or 2GB /system partition in addition to a 8GB /data partition?

I honestly think there is no rom or gapps that will completely use the 1gb system partition. If you want 8gb data, you will need to flash the 8gb pit. I could make a pit like that but the chances are it may screw up people's phones.

vakkah

Jul 28, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S8
no problem at all, much appreciated..
I have just over 300 apps installed and not enough space left on the 6GB /data partition..
if you can make me a 1 or 2GB /system partition with a 8GB /data partition, i will test/use it on my phone..
i am not worried about not having much internal /sdcard0 storage as i have a 32GB external /sdcard1 for pics, movies etc.
the more, the merrier for me..
just let me know when..

cardynal

Jun 12, 2008
Iasi
A little help please :)

I just followed the steps to increase my partition size and I flashed the 1gb_6gb pit file. All went good, I even managed to format all in CWM, I flashed my rom (which was stored in my external SD) and now, when I try to see my internal storage (with any file manager) I cannot see it. I checked under settings->storage and I have only 6 GB total storage..but I can't see it with any file explorer and even in Windows. And now, my camera doesn't work (on lollipop) saying that no SD has been found. It may be other things that do not work, but I didn't test more. Is it normal to be like this? Thank you for your great work ;)

Acid0057

Mar 15, 2013
Hanover, Ontario
I just followed the steps to increase my partition size and I flashed the 1gb_6gb pit file. All went good, I even managed to format all in CWM, I flashed my rom (which was stored in my external SD) and now, when I try to see my internal storage (with any file manager) I cannot see it. I checked under settings->storage and I have only 6 GB total storage..but I can't see it with any file explorer and even in Windows. And now, my camera doesn't work (on lollipop) saying that no SD has been found. It may be other things that do not work, but I didn't test more. Is it normal to be like this? Thank you for your great work ;)
Not normal at all. What did you format sdcard0 as in CWM?

Sent from my GT-I9100 flowing on SwiftKey in Tapatalk

cardynal

Jun 12, 2008
Iasi
Not normal at all. What did you format sdcard0 as in CWM?

Sent from my GT-I9100 flowing on SwiftKey in Tapatalk
Yes, I did formatted sdcard0 in cwm as default. And I flashed again a new pit file 1gb_4gb and I followed again the steps, I also mounted usb and I formatted sdcard0 in windows and now it works. My internal storage is visible. Thanks!

Reactions: dufbp

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Increasing system partition size

Since there is no official thread for increasing the system partition size (not data partition size as there is one already), I've decided to make a thread. :)

Disclaimer:

#include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this tool
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

This process will wipe all of your data off your phone. This includes all of your apps, system storage and internal sd card. It doesn't wipe your external sd card. Make sure to backup all of your apps and data to the cloud, micro sd card or onto a computer

Make a backup!! Why am I saying this again? Because there is always a few careless people who do this process and complain how they lost all of their data.

If you try to use the modified system partition with stock rom, your rom will not boot! You must revert to stock system partition sizes first then install stock rom!

What you need:
    - A Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100 16GB International variant. You must have this model otherwise you will brick your device! Other models can use the lanchon repit tool.
    - A kernel in .tar format. I highly recommend gustavo kernel as it doesn't suffer the formatting problem that dorimanx (using default recovery) or apolo kernel (TWRP) does. Pre-made files Update: DorimanX kernel supports isorec recoveries in the newest builds. Flashing a isorec recovery will remove this formatting limit and will be usable in all partition sizes.
    - System pit files (Provided in the attachments)
    - A PC (preferably Windows, if using OS X or linux, use JOdin instead!)
    - A archiving/compression utility such as 7-zip or winrar. I recommend 7-zip because it is for free and it is open source.
    - ODIN (to flash the kernel of course, again use JOdin for linux and OS X). Also, I have made ODIN installation easier with fewer options! :)

Benefits
    Why do people increase the partition sizes? Here are some reasons why:
    - Can allocate more storage space for more apps (removes the need for moving apps to sd card)
    - Allows people to upgrade to android lollipop or marshmallow easier (if you don't want to go through any messages saying that there isn't enough space)
    - Since it will delete everything, this will restore all lost space taken up by apps and other programs
    - Gapps (Google Apps) will be much easier to install (you can choose larger gapps file if you want, only if you increase system partition). For CM12.1 and CM13, re-partitioning has become a necessity before flashing current gapps packages.
    - Can fix soft bricks. However hard bricks can not be solved this way!
    - Can fix problems with partition errors

Please note that this guide requires a PC and a working USB jack. If you don't meet these requirements, use lanchon's tool instead!

CM13 Nightlies have been released. Please note that the link to the premade .tar kernels are compatible up to Android Lollipop. You will still be able to repartition your device using Lollipop kernel! Since you will be reflashing or restoring CM13 during the process, marshmallow kernels are not required!

Instructions
    1. Make a recovery backup (CWM or TWRP) onto your external sd card or PC (VERY IMPORTANT!!! All backups in internal sd card will be deleted so move them!)
    2. Download the system pit files (attached in OP)
    3. Extract the pit zip file
    4. Open ODIN (Attached in the OP, JOdin for linux and OS X)
    5. Connect your phone to your PC via USB while in download mode (make sure your phone is detected on ODIN, it should say COM:{number})
    6. Click on the PIT button and locate and select your desired pit file
    7. Click on PDA or AP and select your kernel .tar file (look at this post if you don't have one: Pre-made kernel tar Link)
    8. Make sure that re-partition has been ticked then click start. If your phone successfully flashes, move onto the next step. If not, try changing usb ports, changing ODIN version, changing pit files or seeing if your device has a corrupt nand (or broken). If your memory chip is corrupt or broken, you won't be able to flash with ODIN (and you will need to buy a new motherboard). If you are still unsure what to do, look at the screenshot in the attachments.
    9. Disconnect the USB cable. Take out your phone battery, then re-insert it.
    10. Press and hold button combinations (home button + power button + volume up) to boot into recovery. You only need to hold for about 5 seconds.
    11. If you have CWM recovery, go to mounts and storage then select format /sd card0 or /internal sd card. Select default and your internal sd card should successfully format. If not, try ext4 format. If you have TWRP recovery, you will need to go to wipe>advanced and select format emmc or /sd card0, then swipe to confirm . If you can successfully format your phone here, skip steps 11, 12, 13, 14. Note: DorimanX kernel doesn't support ext4 formatted sd cards. You will need to format your sd cards to vfat or fat32 for DorimanX kernel to detect.

----IF FORMATTING FAILS IN RECOVERY----
    12. Connect your phone back to your PC.
    13. If formatting sd card in recovery fails, connect your phone to your PC. While still in recovery (CWM), go to mounts and storage and select mount mass storage. If you have TWRP recovery, go to mount and select mount sd card. It should prompt you that the storage isn't ready yet and you need to format. If your PC still doesn't detect your phone, check if the proper drivers are installed (in attachments). Also, if your phone doesn't get detected and you've done everything in this step, try changing usb ports, computers and even usb cables.
    14. Click format
    15. You can leave all of the settings to default, I personally like to change the allocation size to 4KB (4KB is good if you want to make the most out of your phone's storage while having enough speed)
    16. Click format.

----AFTER SUCCESSFULLY FORMATTING----
    17. Go back to your phone. You can choose to restore from your backup or install a new rom. If you choose to restore from a backup, skip all of the remaining steps. (Note: DorimanX kernel recoveries can not format /data partition more than 2gb, use an alternative first when restoring a backup then flash back if needed)
    18. In mounts and storage, choose format /data, /cache and /system (Note: DorimanX kernel recoveries can not format /data partition more than 2gb, use an alternative first then flash back if needed)
    19. Now you can flash a ROM as you normally would

Huge thanks to ElGamal for providing the modified pit files and metalgearhathaway for providing the stock pit file and the.gangster for providing the 1.5GB system pit files.

I have included pit files that will resize your system partition to 1GB or 1.5GB (depending on your choice).
    Data partition sizes range from 3GB up to 6GB. The rest is for your internal data storage.
    Everything has been nicely labeled so please pay attention to which pit file you select!

I don't recommend using the 32MB Preload pits because they can cause problems with some ROMs.
    If you get bootloops, flash a pit with a smaller data partition size!

I've also included ODIN and Samsung drivers in the attachments

Too difficult for you? Try Lanchon's flashable repartition zip
    @sonupm

Here's your request.

This is the one from @metalgearhathaway. It's the same as your request and I will just share it with you. All the credits go to him, not to me. :)
    Good to see that people are still working on the device, seems everyone has got to grips with pit files now, but I'm around if you need help, just mention me in a thread to grab my attention :)
    Realized that this thread needed a bit of an overhaul. Now it's much more user friendly and easier to follow. I've updated ODIN so now it's even easier to use and included a screenshot. Steps are separated and are less confusing. Enjoy:)
    ONLY FOR CUSTOM ROMS (Not Stock Samsung TouchWiz ROM)!!!

Just in case someone wants to have the Preload partition got rid of, I have modified the PIT file accordingly to my preferences.

It has:
    • 1GB - System
    • 3GB - Data
    • 10.5GB - Internal SDCard
    • 20MB - Preload

Hope it is useful for you and if you need any other PITs like this, just give me a PM and when I have spare time I will create them. :)
    OP updated

Due to popular demand, I have included 1.5GB system pit files in the zip thanks to the.gangster.

I have slightly modified ODIN to un-tick auto-reboot by default making it easier to boot into recovery.

I will not include a 2GB system pit because I think it is a complete waste of space.

I have unified all of the zips removing the need to download additional zip files.

All existing pit files have been renamed. I have also removed pit files that didn't increase system partition size.

gsstudios ;)