Parrot Asteroid

Search This thread

Infoport

Aug 22, 2010
Greensboro, NC
well it says that it has Android embedded, so the OS is Android
it looks pretty interesting too...
as for when/where/how much, the site says "Coming soon in 2011", so I'm guessing that it is yet-to-be-offered and they may not have decided their MSRP yet.

William

Xephik

Jun 18, 2010
Sound Beach, NY
First, I don't know if I can post links yet. Second, I'm too lazy to dig it up. They had an article on Androidpolice during CES that included a speaker from Parrot showcasing it. I think he said a Q2 release. I'll be getting this the second its released, regardless of price.

ogg1e

Nov 9, 2009
anyone have any more details on this? Q2 is all they're saying...

I want one now!!

HellDesk

Oct 14, 2007
Helmond
For the European markets, they say May. Hopefully the beginning of May :)

Hope they didn't get a developer team from Motorola, then it's going to takes at least another year :p

vgt

Nov 2, 2007
wonder if its worth getting

i am currently considering getting it as i need a car kit any way
apperantly they are avalible as of today at 289 euro in the netherlands

Dysphoria

Jun 6, 2011
Gorinchem
I have one

I currently have an Asteroid sitting on my desk here :)
When I find some time tonight I'll take it for a testdrive and let you guys know!

Norbullitt

Jun 6, 2011
Excellent. Please let us know.
What apps are available at the moment?
Im hoping for Spotify and proper navigation once the sdk is released...

HellDesk

Oct 14, 2007
Helmond
Yay, someone that has the Asteroid!

Please, let us now!

And, tell us how the music player works.
I want to hook a big memory card, or if there's room a 40GB laptop harddisk to the unit.

Also, streaming from Bluetooth from your phone. Btw, what kind of phone do you have?

(And hmm.. Gorinchem.. That's not that far from my weekly commute.. :D)

Dysphoria

Jun 6, 2011
Gorinchem
Asteroid

Been driving around with the Asteroid for a while now and it's a pretty neat radio but not perfect.

Building it into the car was a breeze. With the radio came all the needed cables, like a 3,5mm jack, iPod cable, USB cable for usb-sticks, GPS dongle and microphone for the carkit. All cables were pretty long so you should have no problem routing them to whatever place you want them in your car.

Soundquality is pretty good and there are plenty of connections for subwoofers and external amplifiers so it should suffice even for cars with loads of fat speakers.

Connecting my phone, an HTC Desire with CyanogenMod 7.1 (nightly build), was easy through bluetooth and streaming music over bluetooth went without problems. Answering phonecalls and navigating the menu is pretty easy.

A few problems I ran into though. To use internet on the radio (for google maps, internet radio, coyote speed camera alerts) you can either use a 3g USB dongle (which costs you at least 10€ a month where I live) or tether your phone through bluetooth (maybe usb works, haven't tried yet). To do this, your phone needs to support the bluetooth DUN profile which android lacks. Nokia phones should be no problem though. I've tried using 3rd party apps like PDANet but to no avail.

Furthermore I found that the device lacks some tweaking capabilities. For example, when i'm navigating my contacts from my phone, the device tries to "read" the contacts for me using text-to-speech. I've found no way to turn this off. Furthermore I could find no option in the settings to turn off the traffic announcements from radio. The device now switches to radio when i'm listening to music from my SD card to bring me the traffic information (Which can be skipped by pressing the "back" button). Finally, the device came with a Dutch language setting and i've found no way to turn this to English, which is the language I prefer.

Please note, I have only used this radio for a short while and I might've missed some things! I think this is a very nice radio though and since it is the first model and only out for a week or so now I think there will be some updates from Parrot's side, perhaps expanding the capabilities of this device. The only major drawback is the lack of internet connectivity if you have an Android phone. This is not Parrot's fault though but rather Google's. I heard though that Honeycomb supports Bluetooth PAN and I think the Asteroid supports this for Internet tethering so i'm keeping my hopes up for Android Icecream to bring this feature to my phone.

Pro:
- Lots sources for music: Radio, USB stick, SD Card, iPod, 3.5mm Jack line-in
- Android with Google Maps
- Speed camera Alerts
- Large screen (for a single DIN radio unit)
- Lots of cables came with the Radio (With a Pioneer your need to buy overpriced iPod cables separately)
- Its a handsfree carkit, and Parrot knows how to make those by now :)
- Lots of tweaking possible with the sound

Con:
- Internet does not work with Android phones (yet)
- Lacks certain tweaking possibilities in the settings menu

Feel free to ask any questions :)

Last edited:

Norbullitt

Jun 6, 2011
Thank you for the excellent review.
Those drawbacks are major issues,
but Im hoping Parrot will come up with some patches
soon.
The Asteroid is not on sale here yet, and it might take a while.
But I am going to Holland later this month..
Anyone know a place close to Schiphol that sell Parrot equipment?

RobertR21

Jun 16, 2011
Friesland
I also have the Parrot Asteroid for a few days now. But I can't get thetering trough Bluetooth working on my HTC Desire Z (Android 2.2).

I used an app called "PdaNet" or something, with that I can enalbe "Dun - Dia-up Network". And I can make a connection with the parrort trough Settings > Network > Bluetooth. But as soon as I try to use an application that uses internet, it won't work and says I need a internet connection.

Anyone know how I can use DUN or PAN, because an Asteroid doesn't have WiFi and can't tether trough USB ??

Thanx!

Dysphoria

Jun 6, 2011
Gorinchem
RobertR21,

Android does currently not support PAN or DUN so using that is probably not possible without any 3rd party software. I tried PDAnet aswell but it did not work.

You might try connecting your phone to the 3G dongle port on your asteroid through USB, as android supports USB tethering, I have not tried this myself. I can verify though that DUN works, I tried it with my Nokia and it worked flawlessly.

I hear there's rumours on the Internets though that Android icecream is going to support PAN though, so maybe then we can use our android phones. Maybe before that time Parrot will find a solution.

Zapod

Feb 2, 2011
Does anyone know which 3g USB dongles work with the Asteroid?

In my case: I have a Trekstor/Huawei MiFi which can also be used as a "Stick" - Will this work via USB? My Asteroid Device ships in (wish me luck) tomorrow. Pimpin' my Ride is planned at Saturday ;-)

ThX

lonewolf2nd

May 6, 2010
Hi, I've got the this Parrot Asteriod also.
And For you guys I can use bluetooth internet though my old HTC Hero. I can do it also with other phones. but there is a trick for it.
First root your phone, this is absolutely nessasary.
Then download from the market 'Wireless Tether for root users'(it is a free app).
This one has internet tethering through bluetooth.
Go to menu and select bluetooth instead of wifi.
then go to access-control and eneble it.
Make the bluetooth visible in the tether program.
On the asteroid go to setting and then network and then bluetooth is will find your phone(again) and press the nice parrot butten and it connects.
then on your phone again give it authorization to use the tether and you have your internet.
One problem is that you have to connect manually every time. (your carkit does it automaticly) but not the internet. But at least you can then enjoy your live radio and google maps if you want to.
You only have to have the tether active and connect only through the radio other steps are not needed anymore after.

Internet through usb with your doesn't work, to bad.

One issue that I've encountered with this radio the front panel will become pretty hot after playing an half hour on a high volume. does anyone else have this problem also?

Last edited:

karlv

Jan 30, 2007
Hi,

I am also considering getting an Asteroid. I have several questions:

- Is there also offline navigation available?
- Can any app from the normal market be installed? Or is there a special Parrot market?
- What Android version is installed?
- Anyway to root it? (What ever functionality this would add?)

Greetings
karlv

lonewolf2nd

May 6, 2010
Furthermore I found that the device lacks some tweaking capabilities. For example, when i'm navigating my contacts from my phone, the device tries to "read" the contacts for me using text-to-speech. I've found no way to turn this off. Furthermore I could find no option in the settings to turn off the traffic announcements from radio. The device now switches to radio when i'm listening to music from my SD card to bring me the traffic information (Which can be skipped by pressing the "back" button). Finally, the device came with a Dutch language setting and i've found no way to turn this to English, which is the language I prefer.

For disablieng the traffic information go to tuner, select a radio station then press the menu button there you can edit if you want traffic information on or of.

text to speech, try the menu button in the app contacts you can change it there. I like that so I didn't look at it yet.

The most options regarding a app can be found in the app it self. try to look for tweaking option there.

Hi,

I am also considering getting an Asteroid. I have several questions:

- Is there also offline navigation available? NO, not yet at least
- Can any app from the normal market be installed? Or is there a special Parrot market? Special Parrot market, apps that are avaible can be found on the parrot site then put on usb stick and then install.
- What Android version is installed? Android 1.5
- Anyway to root it? (What ever functionality this would add?) No, maybe also later.
Greetings
karlv
Everyone can correct me if I'm wrong:)

Last edited:

gforums

Dec 24, 2006
anyone already tried getting in touch with the radios file system?
I assume those usb ports only are usb hosts?

gforums

Dec 24, 2006
there's a new firmware out:

http://download.parrot.com/Parrot_Asteroid_soft_update/asteroid_update_fr_FR.plf

It's nearly 90 MB, so it looks as a complete android software build.

can we get this extracted? modders, come on :)

EDIT:

there exist some plftools for other Parrot Devices. Maybe they can be used to extract useful stuff out of the Asteroid firmware files...

Links:
http://embedded-software.blogspot.c...howComment=1311293537224#c8852365956008835373

http://sites.google.com/site/repurposelinux/df3120

EDIT2:

part of the firmware update file:

parrotparts=nand0:256K(Pbootloader),16M(Pmain_boot),4M(Pfactory),241408K(Psystem) console=ttyPA0,115200 loglevel=8 update

maybe it is possible to divide the plf file into parts and mount them somehow? (http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=478.0)

EDIT3:
Serial output of AR Drone Update, wich also uses plf update files and is based on linux:
http://kapejod.org/download/ardrone_install.txt

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi.
    Good evening. Thank you very much!!!
    Offline navigation: I have Navigon on it, installed a few days ago. Works well with an Eastern European map that I use. Can't go to the house number, just to the street, but it may be user error, since I'm more familiar with iGo and Google.

The volume cannot be changed, it's either maximum or mute, but not in between.

An Italian guy (peppino44255) modified it to work with the Asteroid's wheel and Next/Prev buttons.

It works, but when I really have to go to a new place, I'd mount the standalone on the windshield or even use my smartphone. Waze would be more useful on the Asteroid.

I'll see if I can find the download link for you.

Edit: see below.

OK, I got it from here. The page is in French.

What the page, and the comments, say:

1. Get the program from here (on the page, fill the CAPTCHA, then press the button under it, with the text "Valider et telecharger le fichier" on it) or from Rapidshare. It's a 120 MB RAR and downloads slowly (was at 40-160 kbps for me, took ages).

2. Get a Navigon map for your country. I don't have sources for this. The page has a link to France's 2010 map, but newer Navigon maps work, too. I tested it with a 2011 map. I found the map I need from one of the links in the comments there.

3. Get an SD card that you will use in your Asteroid, if you don't have one yet. For now, access the card with your computer, using a card reader or by other means. Make sure it is FAT32 formatted. FAT16 (classic FAT) would probably work, too. Create a folder on it, called "Navigon". Actually, you can put the program in any folder, even in the SD card's root, but this is how I did it.

4. Unpack the RAR you downloaded at step 1, into this folder on the card. If we'd call the card "SD", you would now have:

SD/Navigon/Navigon.apk
    SD/Navigon/data/…
    SD/Navigon/sound/…
    SD/Navigon/map/…

5. Copy the *.map files (US.map, maybe?) that you got at step 2, to SD/Navigon/map/.

6. Unmount the SD card from your computer and put it in the Asteroid.

7. On the Asteroid, go to the Install menu. You will see "Navigon" in the list. Install it.

The main Navigon menu, right after you start the program (the third photo on the French page), is navigable with the Asteroid wheel and the Asteroid Next/Prev buttons. In most text boxes (e.g. when inputting a street's name), you can press the big round Parrot button and the Asteroid keyboard will come up. Changing between uppercase/lowercase/numbers is by pressing the menu button. Changing between night/day is through menu button->Day/Night, when a map is displayed.

The comments say Navigon will default to the system's language. I have the UK firmware and Navigon's menus are UK English. US will probably give you US, not that there are many differences.

Just for making it clear: you will have to leave the SD card inside the Asteroid, otherwise the navigation won't work.

If you know how to create a startup config file for Navigon, please do tell. I'm especially interested in setting the volume, since it's at maximum. The Asteroid's many volume settings do not affect it. What I did, is go to Navigon's settings menu and mute it. I did not try an external USB keyboard, maybe one can use the horizontal arrow keys to adjust the volume slider.

Edit 2:

Got a wireless mini keyboard for it, from eBay, this one. It cost 18.82$, free shipping. It works - input is much easier and faster, and I can also set Navigon's volume. It's not backlit, but for the money, it works.
    Asteroid

Been driving around with the Asteroid for a while now and it's a pretty neat radio but not perfect.

Building it into the car was a breeze. With the radio came all the needed cables, like a 3,5mm jack, iPod cable, USB cable for usb-sticks, GPS dongle and microphone for the carkit. All cables were pretty long so you should have no problem routing them to whatever place you want them in your car.

Soundquality is pretty good and there are plenty of connections for subwoofers and external amplifiers so it should suffice even for cars with loads of fat speakers.

Connecting my phone, an HTC Desire with CyanogenMod 7.1 (nightly build), was easy through bluetooth and streaming music over bluetooth went without problems. Answering phonecalls and navigating the menu is pretty easy.

A few problems I ran into though. To use internet on the radio (for google maps, internet radio, coyote speed camera alerts) you can either use a 3g USB dongle (which costs you at least 10€ a month where I live) or tether your phone through bluetooth (maybe usb works, haven't tried yet). To do this, your phone needs to support the bluetooth DUN profile which android lacks. Nokia phones should be no problem though. I've tried using 3rd party apps like PDANet but to no avail.

Please note, I have only used this radio for a short while and I might've missed some things! I think this is a very nice radio though and since it is the first model and only out for a week or so now I think there will be some updates from Parrot's side, perhaps expanding the capabilities of this device. The only major drawback is the lack of internet connectivity if you have an Android phone. This is not Parrot's fault though but rather Google's. I heard though that Honeycomb supports Bluetooth PAN and I think the Asteroid supports this for Internet tethering so i'm keeping my hopes up for Android Icecream to bring this feature to my phone.

Pro:
    - Lots sources for music: Radio, USB stick, SD Card, iPod, 3.5mm Jack line-in
    - Android with Google Maps
    - Speed camera Alerts
    - Large screen (for a single DIN radio unit)
    - Lots of cables came with the Radio (With a Pioneer your need to buy overpriced iPod cables separately)
    - Its a handsfree carkit, and Parrot knows how to make those by now :)
    - Lots of tweaking possible with the sound

Con:
    - Internet does not work with Android phones (yet)
    - Lacks certain tweaking possibilities in the settings menu

Feel free to ask any questions :)
    back from holidays and on the way to holidays. ^^

but i've got a new version for you (1.7) ... try it out :)
    http://asteroid.rphoto.at/

sorry for my short post ... i'm on the way. ;)
    I have posted a separate small tutorial for Navigon Offline Navigation
    on the Parrot Asteroid:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=26502867#post26502867