Want to swap your Menu and Back Softkeys?

Search This thread

pulser_g2

Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2009
A number of users have been wanting to swap their menu and back softkeys... I believe it's handy for left-handed people who have smaller hands and can't reach the opposite button. So here's how you do it :)

1) Root phone
2) Using a root file explorer, navigate to /system/usr/keylayout.
3) Open the file Generic.kl
4) Make the following change:

LOCATE line
Code:
# key 139     MENU                         WAKE_DROPPED"
REPLACE with
Code:
# key 158     MENU                         WAKE_DROPPED"

LOCATE line
Code:
# key 158     BACK                         WAKE_DROPPED"
REPLACE with
Code:
# key 139     BACK                         WAKE_DROPPED"

Save the file Generic.kl, and reboot the phone. Your buttons are now swapped.

I have not provided an "update.zip" to do this, because lately far too many people are relying on one-click methods, and don't know how to make changes themselves, and "devs" don't document these methods for future. So please don't go making a flashable zip and posting it... :)

Last edited:

wmfreak

Mar 23, 2008
oradea
WOW

Been looking for this for along time, especially coming from Gnex the back soft key was on the laft side. There is also the size of the Note2, make it easier to work with the left hand only.

Thanks, W

BigE-evo

Sep 24, 2010
Torrance
A number of users have been wanting to swap their menu and back softkeys... I believe it's handy for left-handed people who have smaller hands and can't reach the opposite button. So here's how you do it :)

1) Root phone

LOCATE line
Code:
REPLACE with
Code:

LOCATE line
Code:
REPLACE with
Code:

I have not provided an "update.zip" to do this, because lately far too many people are relying on one-click methods, and don't know how to make changes themselves, and "devs" don't document these methods for future. So please don't go making a flashable zip and posting it... :)

Thank you! I was wondering if there was also a way to swap it for the on screen nav menu?

Sent from my Note 2

Last edited by a moderator:

wlpywd

Mar 28, 2008
is this right? 3 menus and one back? i don't need a second back anywhere?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: pulser_g2

pulser_g2

Nov 27, 2009

Well spotted, I've fixed that. You are basically swapping the numbers of menu and back, but I had a typo in it. The version in the thread is now correct.

boodies

Mar 3, 2010
I honestly think it's the right handed people who mostly hold their phones in their left hand. Thank you so much for this fix. I've been using button savior but this will be even better.

@Scott, if you want a customized buttons with more buttons, use button savior. You can customize size, location, number of buttons etc, here a pic. I have it setup where if i hit the trigger, the buttons will pop out and go away in 1 second. very convenient. But since I only need back button, this thread is a better way for me it seems.

@OP, Now that i have this setup, is there another line i can change to turn off the lights behind these button permanantly?

edit: nvm there was an option under display to turn those off

Attachments

• buttonsaviorowns.jpg
    buttonsaviorowns.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 954
Last edited:

pulser_g2

Nov 27, 2009
I honestly think it's the right handed people who mostly hold their phones in their left hand. Thank you so much for this fix. I've been using button savior but this will be even better.

@Scott, if you want a customized buttons with more buttons, use button savior. You can customize size, location, number of buttons etc, here a pic. I have it setup where if i hit the trigger, the buttons will pop out and go away in 1 second. very convenient. But since I only need back button, this thread is a better way for me it seems.

@OP, Now that i have this setup, is there another line i can change to turn off the lights behind these button permanantly?

Hmm interesting, I am right handed, and hold my phone in my right hand. I do admittedly have no problem reaching the far side of the screen with my thumb for typing etc...

If I'm not typing then I still hold it in my right hand, but from the centre, giving me a full reach across the whole phone...

But whether you're left or right handed doesn't matter... Fix is the same :p For anyone else looking for it, the lights on the buttons can be disabled in display settings.

Reactions: kronium

wlpywd

Mar 28, 2008
is there a generic.kl tutorial thread somewhere? to learn how to customize everything? I'd like to modify some long press and double press functionality. Play around a bit.

the only, only, only thing i miss from the evo-lte coming to this phone is the dedicated hardware camera/search button on the side. i feel this note is just one physical button short. oh well.

Pat.

Oct 9, 2012
is there a generic.kl tutorial thread somewhere? to learn how to customize everything? I'd like to modify some long press and double press functionality. Play around a bit.

the only, only, only thing i miss from the evo-lte coming to this phone is the dedicated hardware camera/search button on the side. i feel this note is just one physical button short. oh well.

Why not just use "Swipe Pad" app & its just one finger action to camera button from any screen.

wlpywd

Mar 28, 2008
I'll look at swipe pad, but,i mainly used the button for search and long press for voice search. i rarely,rarely use the camera at all. the buttons at the bottom, physical buttons, could really have been 4 again on a phone this size. personal preference like the extra side button, that's all.

Pat.

Oct 9, 2012
Its the first app i install on a device, i use only the free version as its actually better kept simple & i only activate the 4 corners.

pulser_g2

Nov 27, 2009

Double press - I don't think you can do this from generic.kl - you'd need to modify the framework where the buttons are received.

Possibly same for long presses, I'm not sure...

boodies

Mar 3, 2010

http://source.android.com/tech/input/key-layout-files.html

http://www.thriveforums.org/forum/t...layout-any-usb-bluetooth-keyboard-rooted.html

Reactions: wlpywd

pulser_g2

Nov 27, 2009
I would love to! On-screen touch buttons for Back at the left, home in the middle and multi-tasking windows list button at the right.

If you don't mind can you please share or point me to a link where I can get this?

Try adding this to build.prop in /system :

qemu.hw.mainkeys=0

kronium

Jun 29, 2007
Ewa Beach

Did you try long pressing the menu button?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1) Root phone

LOCATE line
    Code:
    REPLACE with
    Code:

LOCATE line
    Code:
    REPLACE with
    Code:

Hmm interesting, I am right handed, and hold my phone in my right hand. I do admittedly have no problem reaching the far side of the screen with my thumb for typing etc...

If I'm not typing then I still hold it in my right hand, but from the centre, giving me a full reach across the whole phone...

But whether you're left or right handed doesn't matter... Fix is the same :p For anyone else looking for it, the lights on the buttons can be disabled in display settings.

http://source.android.com/tech/input/key-layout-files.html

http://www.thriveforums.org/forum/t...layout-any-usb-bluetooth-keyboard-rooted.html