[ROM] Unofficial CyanogenMod 9.0.0 Testing builds for Epic 4G Touch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

darchstar

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 6, 2009
Code:
** These CyanogenMod builds are highly experimental and unsupported.
** If one of this builds bricks your phone, kills your cat or causes
** a thermonuclear war, don't point at us. We'll laugh at you.
** You decided to make this modifications to your Phone.
** Please refrain from submitting bug reports for any issues
** you may encounter while running one of these builds.
** Submitting bug reports on experimental builds is the leading 
** cause of male impotence.

Hey all, you may remember me from back on the cdma hero. Well, I decided to pick up dev'ing again, and have been pushing source up to my github for working code for ice cream sandwich on our Epic 4G touches. It's my pleasure to say it's mostly functional, with just a few bugs remaining, of which i'll post at the end of my thread here. If I didn't list some functionality you're looking for in the bugs list, either it already works, or i forgot about it. Chances are high that it already works, though ;). Once I get nightlies to run, i'll make another thread for that.

Follow me on twitter for updates, and testing builds Please, follow the instructions listed below for flashing, to prevent any damage to your phone

Or, for the lazy, click HERE which is also mirrored for a download, which will also be mirrored HERE. note that my laziness will probably hinder me from updating the OP frequently to keep up with my updates i post on twitter.

Don't forget to flash GAPPS if you're coming from a non-CM-based ROM

Kernel: FC07
Recovery: CWM

What works
- GPS
- Camera
- SMS/MMS
- YouTube
- External SD mounted to /emmc
- Pretty much everything else :D

Bugs
- apps2sd doesn't work for EXTERNAL SD
- Video recording doesn't decode the files properly to mp4, so the output is unusable
- Music occasionally FCs. Feel free to post some logcats (pastebin'd only) if this happens to you

Installation Instructions
*WARNING* There have been a number of people over the past 6 weeks experiencing HARD BRICKS of their E4GT when flashing ICS from ROGUE 1.2.1 on FB15 AND NEWER KERNELS. Please see THIS THREAD for more information. As such, I am STRONGLY recommending that ALL FLASHING of this ROM be done ONLY from the STOCK CWM EL26 RECOVERY (download) EDIT: As an update to this, we're fairly certain this issue is sporadically occurring whenever a partition is being formatted by the recovery. this led us to believe that the problem lies in the kernel samsung has been putting out in the leaks. Please, for your sake, use, a recovery with a gingerbread kernel when flashing this rom, or doing nandroids, or even doing data wipes.

First install of CM9
  1. BACKUP your existing ROM
  2. Did you backup your existing ROM? No? BACK IT UP, GENIUS
  3. Reboot to DOWNLOAD mode (power+vol-down)
  4. Using ODIN (link) flash to StockCWM EL26. Flashing CM9 from another recovery, such as Rogue, MAY BRICK YOUR PHONE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED (*note* backup/restore seems okay, it's only the actual zip/kernel flash that risks bricking. See THIS THREAD for more information.)
  5. Reboot to recovery (power+vol-up)
  6. WIPE DATA
  7. Flash CM9
  8. Flash GAPPS
  9. Reboot to system
After rebooting, if you go BACK to recovery, you'll be on Rogue 1.2.2

Upgrading CM9
This build will upgrade from any CyanogenMod rom just fine. Just, be sure you're using the EL26-CWM recovery when flashing this rom. read my Edit up above for further details.
  1. Reboot to DOWNLOAD mode (power+vol-down)
  2. Using ODIN (link) flash to StockCWM EL26. Flashing CM9 from another recovery, such as Rogue, MAY BRICK YOUR PHONE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED (*note* backup/restore seems okay, it's only the actual zip/kernel flash that risks bricking. See THIS THREAD for more information.)
  3. Reboot to recovery (power+vol-up)
  4. Flash CM9
  5. The newest update changes the way backuptools work for the install script. it reads custom user scripts in /system/add.d. Since the first rom i put out didn't have that, you'll need to reflash google apps after flashing cyanogenmod. after flashing this latest update, subsequent updates won't need you to reflash Google Apps
  6. Wipe cache
  7. Reboot to system

Enjoy!

EDIT: I updated the OP with the link to the rom. This is using some better coding for mms and sms receiving, and the LOS bug was fixed by the epiccm group, and pushed to mainstream cyanogenmod, so we we're benefiting from this. also, added in were sprint visual voicemail and sprint updates. There's surely other stuff i'm missing to add to what's working and what's not :). Note that Cyanogenmod doesn't normally use stock kernel, rather it uses cm-kernel. the issue is that we don't have source for the kernel in ics, so we can't merge our board-files, etc into it just yet. But this isn't an issue, as far as functionality. It's just not the full CyanogenMod experience :p.

EDIT2: I had jerdog change the thread title to unofficial, because we aren't really in CM just yet. It's more because of my discrepancy, with not wanting the device tree to be pulled, because i'm still doing work on it. :)

EDIT3: Guys, don't be flashing any themes over this rom, reason being because i changed the framework files a bit in my source, and it hasn't been pulled into mainstream cyanogenmod yet.

Last edited:

TeamERA

Nov 2, 2011
Everywhere
Man your about to be a real "hero", darchstar to the rescue, glad to have you here man. Ill be installing this since it comes with recovery, very small chance of a brick now,,, THANKS again.

Sent from a phone with kNOw CIQ ;) ...

S

S0ckM0nk3y

Good stuff buddy!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

neatchee

Sep 11, 2009
A quick note:

As with all CM9 ROMs, we have been seeing some RARE bricks (hard brick, unbootable, no download mode, blue LED of death) when flashing from FB?? and newer Rogue kernels. These are RARE but they DO happen. See this thread for more info: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1525495

I would recommend doing ALL of your flashing from EL26 StockCWM (if you can still find it).

You have been warned.

Reactions: digweed4me

autoprime

Recognized Dev / Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 23, 2010
A quick note:

As with all CM9 ROMs, we have been seeing some RARE bricks (hard brick, unbootable, no download mode, blue LED of death) when flashing from FB?? and newer Rogue kernels. These are RARE but they DO happen. See this thread for more info: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1525495

I would recommend doing ALL of your flashing from EL26 StockCWM (if you can still find it).

You have been warned.

thats some excellent advice :)

Freeroot

Dec 31, 2010
Seattle
Oh man, darchstar's in? sh*t just got real. I wish I could just jump forward a few weeks.. Good to see you here!

EDIT: Darchstar, let me know if you want me to take this down, but I'm gonna put a link here to make it a bit easier: http://t.co/bn3AW0bD

EDIT 2: I evidently didn't make it big enough...LINK IS IN THIS POST [and Darchstar's twitter]UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

I just put it here to save from the "where's the link" posts..

P.S. Downloading and I'm tweaking cause I'm so excited to flash this.

Last edited:
Reactions: sumo911

dtruong23

May 19, 2010
Mms is sending but not able to download. Charging light works. Woohoo. Thanks for the release.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    ** These CyanogenMod builds are highly experimental and unsupported.
    ** If one of this builds bricks your phone, kills your cat or causes
    ** a thermonuclear war, don't point at us. We'll laugh at you.
    ** You decided to make this modifications to your Phone.
    ** Please refrain from submitting bug reports for any issues
    ** you may encounter while running one of these builds.
    ** Submitting bug reports on experimental builds is the leading 
    ** cause of male impotence.

Hey all, you may remember me from back on the cdma hero. Well, I decided to pick up dev'ing again, and have been pushing source up to my github for working code for ice cream sandwich on our Epic 4G touches. It's my pleasure to say it's mostly functional, with just a few bugs remaining, of which i'll post at the end of my thread here. If I didn't list some functionality you're looking for in the bugs list, either it already works, or i forgot about it. Chances are high that it already works, though ;). Once I get nightlies to run, i'll make another thread for that.

Follow me on twitter for updates, and testing builds Please, follow the instructions listed below for flashing, to prevent any damage to your phone

Or, for the lazy, click HERE which is also mirrored for a download, which will also be mirrored HERE. note that my laziness will probably hinder me from updating the OP frequently to keep up with my updates i post on twitter.

Don't forget to flash GAPPS if you're coming from a non-CM-based ROM

Kernel: FC07
    Recovery: CWM

What works
    - GPS
    - Camera
    - SMS/MMS
    - YouTube
    - External SD mounted to /emmc
    - Pretty much everything else :D

Bugs
    - apps2sd doesn't work for EXTERNAL SD
    - Video recording doesn't decode the files properly to mp4, so the output is unusable
    - Music occasionally FCs. Feel free to post some logcats (pastebin'd only) if this happens to you

Installation Instructions
    *WARNING* There have been a number of people over the past 6 weeks experiencing HARD BRICKS of their E4GT when flashing ICS from ROGUE 1.2.1 on FB15 AND NEWER KERNELS. Please see THIS THREAD for more information. As such, I am STRONGLY recommending that ALL FLASHING of this ROM be done ONLY from the STOCK CWM EL26 RECOVERY (download) EDIT: As an update to this, we're fairly certain this issue is sporadically occurring whenever a partition is being formatted by the recovery. this led us to believe that the problem lies in the kernel samsung has been putting out in the leaks. Please, for your sake, use, a recovery with a gingerbread kernel when flashing this rom, or doing nandroids, or even doing data wipes.

First install of CM9
    1. BACKUP your existing ROM
    2. Did you backup your existing ROM? No? BACK IT UP, GENIUS
    3. Reboot to DOWNLOAD mode (power+vol-down)
    4. Using ODIN (link) flash to StockCWM EL26. Flashing CM9 from another recovery, such as Rogue, MAY BRICK YOUR PHONE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED (*note* backup/restore seems okay, it's only the actual zip/kernel flash that risks bricking. See THIS THREAD for more information.)
    5. Reboot to recovery (power+vol-up)
    6. WIPE DATA
    7. Flash CM9
    8. Flash GAPPS
    9. Reboot to system
    After rebooting, if you go BACK to recovery, you'll be on Rogue 1.2.2

Upgrading CM9
    This build will upgrade from any CyanogenMod rom just fine. Just, be sure you're using the EL26-CWM recovery when flashing this rom. read my Edit up above for further details.
    1. Reboot to DOWNLOAD mode (power+vol-down)
    2. Using ODIN (link) flash to StockCWM EL26. Flashing CM9 from another recovery, such as Rogue, MAY BRICK YOUR PHONE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED (*note* backup/restore seems okay, it's only the actual zip/kernel flash that risks bricking. See THIS THREAD for more information.)
    3. Reboot to recovery (power+vol-up)
    4. Flash CM9
    5. The newest update changes the way backuptools work for the install script. it reads custom user scripts in /system/add.d. Since the first rom i put out didn't have that, you'll need to reflash google apps after flashing cyanogenmod. after flashing this latest update, subsequent updates won't need you to reflash Google Apps
    6. Wipe cache
    7. Reboot to system

Enjoy!

EDIT: I updated the OP with the link to the rom. This is using some better coding for mms and sms receiving, and the LOS bug was fixed by the epiccm group, and pushed to mainstream cyanogenmod, so we we're benefiting from this. also, added in were sprint visual voicemail and sprint updates. There's surely other stuff i'm missing to add to what's working and what's not :). Note that Cyanogenmod doesn't normally use stock kernel, rather it uses cm-kernel. the issue is that we don't have source for the kernel in ics, so we can't merge our board-files, etc into it just yet. But this isn't an issue, as far as functionality. It's just not the full CyanogenMod experience :p.

EDIT2: I had jerdog change the thread title to unofficial, because we aren't really in CM just yet. It's more because of my discrepancy, with not wanting the device tree to be pulled, because i'm still doing work on it. :)

EDIT3: Guys, don't be flashing any themes over this rom, reason being because i changed the framework files a bit in my source, and it hasn't been pulled into mainstream cyanogenmod yet.
    Damn. I can't even spend 1 night out of town in Atl without you guys behaving like 5 yr olds??

Thread closed until I can get someone to attend to this.

---Jay--- Mobile moddin' from the E4GT

Guys - there is no kanging go on. sbrissen and darchstar are and have been collaborating for awhile on this, helping each other out in the true spirit of the community. This thread will remain closed until darchstar is ready to have it reopened and we have cleaned out the lunacy.

This is all the evidence you need. Now shut it and act like adults - or at least try.

http://twitter.com/#!/sbrissen23/status/178160581851889664

Sbrissen and darchstar have been collaborating - just look at the github and you'll see the commits and you'll see all the collaboration being done between the two. This is open source at it's finest.
    Unacceptable

There seems to be a significant amount of animosity that permeates throughout the Android related forums. I'm not certain as to why this is, nor do I want to hear any reason for justification; what I do know is that it is unacceptable.

As moderators, we spend more time cleaning up flame & troll posts than working on our own community contributions. Unfounded accusations such as KANG'ing serve to drive away those valued members who try to contribute to XDA ... further lowering the quality of threads and posts on this forum.

XDA is about bringing together folks who have similar passions about mobile technology. I would have expected more maturity and professionalism. Instead, I find a thread full of inflammatory posts ... it is not constructive and serves no purpose.

While the Forum Moderator(s) take time from their busy schedule to effect cleanup and "damage control"; further detracting of this thread once it is re-opened will result in permanent holidays for those involved, rest assured that appeals will be non-negotiable. I would encourage members who have posted in this thread to reacquaint themselves with the forum rules - the best moderation is self-moderation.

Forum rules, please read!
    I honestly don't understand why people are still complaining about me stealing people's work, or not giving credit. you can see each commit i made for the past week, and i've been updating it on a continuous basis, since i started working on it. if i had stolen someone's work, wtf would be the purpose of starting with nothing working, than eventually getting it all working after 5 days or so? and if you think i'm not giving any credit, check the commit logs. i had sbrissen especially make pull requests on stuff that he added to my github, so that wouldn't be the case. stop being so immature, everybody, and get back on topic. I don't want to hear more about bricks, or people making silly accusations, or anything else of that off topic nature. it's seriously derailing any good use xda has for me.

btw, here are my commit logs my device tree: https://github.com/darchstar/android_device_samsung_epic4gtouch/commits/ics
    frameworks: https://github.com/darchstar/android_frameworks_base/commits/ics
    Damn. I can't even spend 1 night out of town in Atl without you guys behaving like 5 yr olds??

Thread closed until I can get someone to attend to this.

---Jay--- Mobile moddin' from the E4GT