[APP][Update] SGS kernel flasher v1.6.2 - flash a kernel within android

Search This thread

mastewman

Oct 11, 2010
What is the process for updating....

I currently, have KA7+Voodoo running and since I'm a noob not sure what the upgrade process is to upgrade to the latest KB1+Voodoo?

neldar

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 4, 2010
twitter.com
I currently, have KA7+Voodoo running and since I'm a noob not sure what the upgrade process is to upgrade to the latest KB1+Voodoo?

If the kernel dev does not say anything about the update process, you are supposed to flash the new kernel.

Btw: new version available:

v1.5.6:
added: java implementation of tar
added: proper detection of supported flashtypes (only bml, at the moment)
added: more detailed error messages

Last edited:

neldar

Jul 4, 2010
twitter.com
And there is another version available:

v1.5.9:
added: Auto-reboot text clickable
added: flash verify
added: more error messages
fixed: bml blocksize detection on eclair

The 1.5.6 did not work on eclair - please update to 1.5.9.

Last edited:

Shake&Bake

Jan 15, 2009
Cape Town
Hi there.

Just downloaded this app, but wanted to be certain:

As you'll see with my specs in my sig, I've got Speedmod Kernel 13a and lagfix enabled, on Doc's Rom.

If I wanted to flash another kernel - maybe voodoo - I don't really know:
Would I have to disable the lagfix first and then flash the new kernel?

I've read the entire thread and have come across posts saying that it's not necessary to disable lagfixes, others say the converse.

So I'd appreciate some clarity on the matter please. :)

Please excuse the noobile question - still relatively new to all the tweaking and flashing :eek:

DamianGto

Sep 17, 2010
Hi there.

Just downloaded this app, but wanted to be certain:

As you'll see with my specs in my sig, I've got Speedmod Kernel 13a and lagfix enabled, on Doc's Rom.

If I wanted to flash another kernel - maybe voodoo - I don't really know:
Would I have to disable the lagfix first and then flash the new kernel?

I've read the entire thread and have come across posts saying that it's not necessary to disable lagfixes, others say the converse.

So I'd appreciate some clarity on the matter please. :)

Please excuse the noobile question - still relatively new to all the tweaking and flashing :eek:

if you want to flash a kernel from an other family then you should disable all lagfix and tweaks. if you use kernel from the same family you do not often have to disable lagfix or tweaks.
the best is to ask in the tread on the kernel you wish to use.

**DamianGTO Ultimate kernel. 350MB Ram. 600HZ. all ext2. Steam Rom. Js5**

Reactions: Shake&Bake

jkruijff

Nov 7, 2010
Amsterdam
If you're going to flash a kernel which can also read & write ext4, you're safe. So if you want to move from speedmod to voodoo, or vice versa, there is no need to undo lagfix first. But if you want to revert to the original kernel for example, which can NOT read ext4, ext3, ext2 or jfs, then you need to undo the lagfix first and restore the rfs filesystem. If you accidentally mess up, you can always use odin to flash back your previous kernel (make sure you can access download mode). Hope this is helpful.

J.

Last edited:

neldar

Jul 4, 2010
twitter.com
Absolutly the best! Thank you for making kernel backing up and updating (on the fly) easy and convenient.

One request: when backing up a kernel, could you add a txtbox for the option of naming the backup file instead of just saving it as a date format?

The next update will incorporate some polished gui components and one of the new features is the file name in the save dialog. ;)

MikeO I9000

Nov 10, 2010
I hope anyone can help me. A Friend of mine has a Vodafon branded I9000 Galaxy S with no 3 Button Mode. If I root with Z4Root and flash a Hardcore Kernel, have I then the 3 Button Mode, or is there any other chance to come in Recovery Mode to flash a custom Rom?

c0mputernick

Mar 2, 2011
tmobile galaxy s 4g

Ive got a problem with my galaxy 2 4g.

I flashed over speedmod-kernel-k13c-500hz-CWM.zip from this site onto my phone and it did boot back up, but i lost my cell signal, and sd card etc.

I backed up my stock kernel first to the sd card.

I got wifi working again, went to market to install the kernel flasher again and it tells me there isnt enough space to install, and it doesnt see my sd card.

I can seem to figure out how to get into recovery mode to try and repair this and am very new to android general. did i just @#$% my new phone or is this fixable?

Any help would be appreciated, ive been googling for hours and find all kinds of stuff for the older galaxys, but none for my 4g.

Please help, any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

neldar

Jul 4, 2010
twitter.com
with the "not yet" part.
does that mean that it is planned?
(NO ETA Requested )
That's the correct interpretation. ;)

Ive got a problem with my galaxy 2 4g.
I flashed over speedmod-kernel-k13c-500hz-CWM.zip from this site onto my phone and it did boot back up, but i lost my cell signal, and sd card etc.
I backed up my stock kernel first to the sd card.
I got wifi working again, went to market to install the kernel flasher again and it tells me there isnt enough space to install, and it doesnt see my sd card.
I can seem to figure out how to get into recovery mode to try and repair this and am very new to android general. did i just @#$% my new phone or is this fixable?
Any help would be appreciated, ive been googling for hours and find all kinds of stuff for the older galaxys, but none for my 4g.

Please help, any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

If you are able to get into the recovery, you should also be able to access the sdcard and then you can flash the backup.
If that does not work you can use odin/heimdall to flash another kernel for the 4g.

Last edited:

c0mputernick

Mar 2, 2011
How can you flash from recovery without the app?
Is there like a command line way of flashing the backed up kernel over the phone again?
Do i need to know paths to where it goes? (what is the path)

Thanks for the help.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This application *requires* root.

This app can flash a kernel within android on Samsung i9000, Captivate, Fascinate, Vibrant and more.

Features:
    * backup kernel as update.zip (for recovery)
    * flash kernel from zImage, any .tar or .zip that contains a zImage
    * reboot

Usage:
    backup kernel: creates an update.zip (for recovery) containing a backup of the current kernel with time and date in /sdcard/sgs-kernel-flasher/backup/
    choose kernel: choose kernel image (mostly named zImage) or any .tar or .zip that contains a zImage
    flash kernel: flashes the kernel
    reboot: reboot the phone

Android market: SGS kernel flasher

DISCLAIMER:
    The author of this app is not responsible for any damage to your phone that may be caused by usage of this app or by deficient kernel images.
    And there is another version available:

v1.5.9:
    added: Auto-reboot text clickable
    added: flash verify
    added: more error messages
    fixed: bml blocksize detection on eclair

The 1.5.6 did not work on eclair - please update to 1.5.9.
    I have updated the app one more time:

v1.2.1:
    added: PDA.tar and update.zip file support
    added: choose file starts in /sdcard/sgs-kernel-flasher/
    added: lagfix detection and warning

That means you can now select any .tar or .zip that contains a zImage and the app will automatically extract and flash that zImage.
    Major break through for easy kernel flashing on i9000, Captivate, Fascinate and Vibrant- please propagate this awesome news. :)

Btw. the app is now on market.

If the kernel dev does not say anything about the update process, you are supposed to flash the new kernel.

Btw: new version available:

v1.5.6:
    added: java implementation of tar
    added: proper detection of supported flashtypes (only bml, at the moment)
    added: more detailed error messages
    If you're going to flash a kernel which can also read & write ext4, you're safe. So if you want to move from speedmod to voodoo, or vice versa, there is no need to undo lagfix first. But if you want to revert to the original kernel for example, which can NOT read ext4, ext3, ext2 or jfs, then you need to undo the lagfix first and restore the rfs filesystem. If you accidentally mess up, you can always use odin to flash back your previous kernel (make sure you can access download mode). Hope this is helpful.

J.