[Root] Root and TWRP for R

Search This thread

tonu42

Nov 14, 2010
Disclaimer: If you are not comfortable with using Fastboot and ADB and editing system files than this guide might not be for you. At this point this is what I have to offer.

Click here for the unofficial twrp image - Latest version as of 12/27/14

So getting right into it.

1. Turn on ADB mode on the watch by going to about and tapping the build info 7 times.

2. Download ADB and Fastboot utilties

3. Plug the watch into the computer and your phone should vibrate and ask you to accept the computers fingerprint, tick the check box to always allow and hit ok

4. Open up a command prompt or terminal inside of where the ADB utilities are located and enter
Code:
adb reboot bootloader

This next step will wipe your data!

5. Now you should be in fastboot, go ahead and on the terminal use the next code and follow prompts to unlock
Code:
fastboot oem unlock

6. Now after you re-set up your watch again you will need to do step 1 and 3 again.

Please do not skip step 6!

7. Go ahead and issue
Code:
adb reboot bootloader

8. Flash unofficial twrp, make sure the recovery image file is in the same location as fastboot than issue
Code:
fastboot flash recovery YOURIMGNAMEHERE.img

9. Upon successfully doing that you should have twrp installed

10. Lots in one step here, download the latest supersu.zip flashable file and put it in the same folder as ADB use the proper name of what you downloaded. Issue
Code:
adb push SUPERSUNAMEHERE.zip /sdcard/

11. Issue
Code:
 adb reboot recovery

12. than using the very tiny TWRP and somewhat messed up go ahead and use it to install the supersu.zip under the folder /sdcard

13. Enjoy root and twrp.

I will make this guide into a much easier Java program in the very near future to make it easier to use.

This was typed up pretty fast and it is kinda hacky, I will work on a bat script and a shell script if we have enough osx users here. I'm sure someone will come along and make this better if I don't get around to it.

Credits:
Dees-Troy for his TWRP support for dory our fish brother device which worked on our device
Chainfire for all his hard work these many years

Last edited:

tonu42

Nov 14, 2010
Q: ADB complains there is no device listed.
A: Install universal ADB drivers and then go to device manager and under the device with a yellow warning icon go to update driver, Browse my computer, let me pick from list of device drivers, than Google ADB interface. If it still complains turn off debugging, than turn it back on, revoke authorization, then disable and re-enable again.

Last edited:

hatefuel19

Sep 23, 2010
Lex
Great work!!

Just got the watch today and couldn't be happier. Custom kernel, TWRP and root (well sort of) all within 6 hours of having this watch.

I say root (sort of) because SU is force closing when running su in adb shell. First time it crashed adb on PC and had to reboot watch. Now it just force closes on my watch and adb exits on PC. What is the most current version of SuperSU? I have 1.94 from Chainfire's site.

Thank you SO MUCH for this! Do you or your team have a paypal?

tonu42

Nov 14, 2010
Just got the watch today and couldn't be happier. Custom kernel, TWRP and root (well sort of) all within 6 hours of having this watch.

I say root (sort of) because SU is force closing when running su in adb shell. First time it crashed adb on PC and had to reboot watch. Now it just force closes on my watch and adb exits on PC. What is the most current version of SuperSU? I have 1.94 from Chainfire's site.

Thank you SO MUCH for this! Do you or your team have a paypal?

The latest supersu is version 2.36 dated 11.27.2014. 1.94 is well over a year old, you need to update for sure that is why you are force closing.

Reactions: hatefuel19

hatefuel19

Sep 23, 2010
Lex
I figured that's what it was. Feeel real dumb for not finding the newest version the first time. Also most current is now 2.37 XD

Edit: That got it! Thanks tonu!

Last edited:

tonu42

Nov 14, 2010
I figured that's what it was. Feeel real dumb for not finding the newest version the first time. Also most current is now 2.37 XD

Edit: That got it! Thanks tonu!

I'm here to help! I'm working on adding other mods to my other thread right now I'm working on getting busybox working.

jimmydigital00

Aug 30, 2010
Thanks for doing all of this work.
I was hoping you could help me with a step I am stuck on.

10. Lots in one step here, download the latest supersu.zip flashable file and put it in the same folder as ADB. Issue "adb push SUPERSUNAMEHERE.zip /sdcard/

When I do this it is saying permission denied. Also, should the watch be in recovery or fully booted when I run this command?
Thanks

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 PM ----------

Thanks for doing all of this work.
I was hoping you could help me with a step I am stuck on.

10. Lots in one step here, download the latest supersu.zip flashable file and put it in the same folder as ADB. Issue "adb push SUPERSUNAMEHERE.zip /sdcard/

When I do this it is saying permission denied. Also, should the watch be in recovery or fully booted when I run this command?
Thanks

Disregard I did it again and for some reason it worked. Maybe I need to reboot first.

adamrobles

Dec 21, 2009
Recovery

I went through your command and everything worked until I ran:

fastboot flash recovery UNOFFICIAL-openrecovery-twrp-2.8.0.0-lenok.img

Now the device just boots into the recovery and not into the system. The system/data partitions keep saying:

E:Unable to mount /data
E:Unable to mount /system

I am very comfortable with fastboot and adb so I do not know what I did wrong here.

Any ideas?

Reactions: peterl23451

tonu42

Nov 14, 2010
I went through your command and everything worked until I ran:

fastboot flash recovery UNOFFICIAL-openrecovery-twrp-2.8.0.0-lenok.img

Now the device just boots into the recovery and not into the system. The system/data partitions keep saying:

E:Unable to mount /data
E:Unable to mount /system

I am very comfortable with fastboot and adb so I do not know what I did wrong here.

Any ideas?

Try reflashing the recovery IMG again. And check back here.

Sent from my A0001 using XDA Free mobile app

adamrobles

Dec 21, 2009
reflashed

Try reflashing the recovery IMG again. And check back here.

I reflashed the recovery you provided and I keep rebooting to system but it takes me to twrp.

I am in the process of downloading the system dump from another thread to hopefully flash those to get back into the system.

tonu42

Nov 14, 2010
I reflashed the recovery you provided and I keep rebooting to system but it takes me to twrp.

I am in the process of downloading the system dump from another thread to hopefully flash those to get back into the system.

The dump is extracted from the system.img, you won't be able to flash it in any way. None of this guide touches system files besides the root stuff which shouldn't affect boot. Try flashing the stock recovery.img instead.

adamrobles

Dec 21, 2009
The dump is extracted from the system.img, you won't be able to flash it in any way. None of this guide touches system files besides the root stuff which shouldn't affect boot. Try flashing the stock recovery.img instead.

Thank you for that information, I stopped the download of the dump.

Downloading the stock recovery now.

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

I must have skipped a step...

installed stock recovery
booted into the watch system
enabled adb debugging
reboot to bootloader
install your recovery image
rebooted
pushed supersu
rebooted to twrp
installed supersu
rebooted to system
adb shell - verified root!

You are awesome! Thank you for taking the time to help me!

Reactions: lbrito

aqsede

Mar 16, 2013
MACHANG
HYPE for 5.0.1

'm Hype! can't wait to flash the first 5.0.1 system dump on this as stated by +Darek Ross we MAY be receiving update as early as today!

zvieratko

Dec 9, 2007
Prague
I did this yesterday, and run into the same problem - TWRP spitting out errors when flashing
It was caused by NOT rebooting after unlocking bootloader, but proceeding with the flash rightaway - this apparently leaves the watch in an empty state (no /sdcard or /system contents) and it needs to boot up at least once before you flash anything

So the correct procedure is like this

1) enable development options
2) enable usb debugging
3) adb reboot-bootloader
4) fastboot oem unlock
5) let the watch boot normally, pair with your phone, enable development options and usb debugging again
6) adb reboot-bootloader
7) fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
8) fastboot reboot
9) adb push supersu.zip /sdcard/
10) adb reboot recovery
11) flash supersu.zip

Apparently, there is a problem when the original kernel is not present after "fastboot oem unlock" - the watch will be left empty, while on the original kernel it "reinstalls"

I typed this from memory, but I think you should know how these things work anyway, as there's not much for a "normal" user to do anyway... yet... ;)

Reactions: YzRacer and lbrito

tonu42

Nov 14, 2010
I did this yesterday, and run into the same problem - TWRP spitting out errors when flashing
It was caused by NOT rebooting after unlocking bootloader, but proceeding with the flash rightaway - this apparently leaves the watch in an empty state (no /sdcard or /system contents) and it needs to boot up at least once before you flash anything

So the correct procedure is like this

1) enable development options
2) enable usb debugging
3) adb reboot-bootloader
4) fastboot oem unlock
5) let the watch boot normally, pair with your phone, enable development options and usb debugging again
6) adb reboot-bootloader
7) fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
8) fastboot reboot
9) adb push supersu.zip /sdcard/
10) adb reboot recovery
11) flash supersu.zip

Apparently, there is a problem when the original kernel is not present after "fastboot oem unlock" - the watch will be left empty, while on the original kernel it "reinstalls"

I typed this from memory, but I think you should know how these things work anyway, as there's not much for a "normal" user to do anyway... yet... ;)

My guide is setup like the one you put there. In order to get adb working again you need to re setup the watch step 6. Read the instructions carefully. I'll post a batch script later to simplify this.

zvieratko

Dec 9, 2007
Prague
Step 6 doesn't really say "you need to do this, OR ELSE", it seems like you just rehash the factory reset thing :)
And you should put step 10 before step 6, it can't really be done in that order...

but again, I guess the people trying this should now how it works, so no biggie, but since a few of us got hit by that "no initial boot" issue, it would be better to put a note in there

tonu42

Nov 14, 2010
Step 6 doesn't really say "you need to do this, OR ELSE", it seems like you just rehash the factory reset thing :)
And you should put step 10 before step 6, it can't really be done in that order...

but again, I guess the people trying this should now how it works, so no biggie, but since a few of us got hit by that "no initial boot" issue, it would be better to put a note in there

By default debugging is disabled, I'm not sure how you were able to issue an ADB command on step 7 with out first performing step 6.

zvieratko

Dec 9, 2007
Prague
Aaah, sorry, should have been "after step 6"
another option is to do adb push with recovery loaded
I guess that's why I got that error before, because I combined 5+8 and flashed the recovery, but TWRP was unable to revive the watch from factory reset state (which makes me think it should not be on the watch unless needed...)

tonu42

Nov 14, 2010
Aaah, sorry, should have been "after step 6"
another option is to do adb push with recovery loaded
I guess that's why I got that error before, because I combined 5+8 and flashed the recovery, but TWRP was unable to revive the watch from factory reset state (which makes me think it should not be on the watch unless needed...)

Ah I see, yea the guide is written as the absolute minimum to work right now. Like I said later today I'll try to post a script that automates all of this, its much easier.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer: If you are not comfortable with using Fastboot and ADB and editing system files than this guide might not be for you. At this point this is what I have to offer.

Click here for the unofficial twrp image - Latest version as of 12/27/14

So getting right into it.

1. Turn on ADB mode on the watch by going to about and tapping the build info 7 times.

2. Download ADB and Fastboot utilties

3. Plug the watch into the computer and your phone should vibrate and ask you to accept the computers fingerprint, tick the check box to always allow and hit ok

4. Open up a command prompt or terminal inside of where the ADB utilities are located and enter
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

This next step will wipe your data!

5. Now you should be in fastboot, go ahead and on the terminal use the next code and follow prompts to unlock
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock

6. Now after you re-set up your watch again you will need to do step 1 and 3 again.

Please do not skip step 6!

7. Go ahead and issue
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

8. Flash unofficial twrp, make sure the recovery image file is in the same location as fastboot than issue
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery YOURIMGNAMEHERE.img

9. Upon successfully doing that you should have twrp installed

10. Lots in one step here, download the latest supersu.zip flashable file and put it in the same folder as ADB use the proper name of what you downloaded. Issue
    Code:
    adb push SUPERSUNAMEHERE.zip /sdcard/

11. Issue
    Code:
     adb reboot recovery

12. than using the very tiny TWRP and somewhat messed up go ahead and use it to install the supersu.zip under the folder /sdcard

13. Enjoy root and twrp.

I will make this guide into a much easier Java program in the very near future to make it easier to use.

This was typed up pretty fast and it is kinda hacky, I will work on a bat script and a shell script if we have enough osx users here. I'm sure someone will come along and make this better if I don't get around to it.

Credits:
    Dees-Troy for his TWRP support for dory our fish brother device which worked on our device
    Chainfire for all his hard work these many years
    Marshmallow

I'v just sideloaded the Marshmallow update and rooted it through TWRP:

I used this TWRP image by rbox (I just booted it as I prefer stock recovery on my watch, but flashing should work too)
    and Chainfire's latest SuperSU v2.67 without the apk as described here

thanks to all the people linked above!
    ah ok, the tools you are using arent packing the image correctly. the DTB.img isnt being packed properly. its similar to the ramdisk offset its soemthing you need to define and have it get packed in with the boot.img.

edit: use https://github.com/xiaolu/mkbootimg_tools

Yea that was it. I was using abootimg to create images which worked up until recently. I just copied some git repository and downloaded unmkbootimg and mkbootimg again and used that and now it works.

Latest TWRP 2.8.3.0 is in OP. Thanks to shabbypenguin for the latest theme which works pretty well.
    PLEASE BE CAREFUL FLASHING LOLLIPOP UPDATE! It flashes a new bootloader, TZ, kernel, and system.
    Q: ADB complains there is no device listed.
    A: Install universal ADB drivers and then go to device manager and under the device with a yellow warning icon go to update driver, Browse my computer, let me pick from list of device drivers, than Google ADB interface. If it still complains turn off debugging, than turn it back on, revoke authorization, then disable and re-enable again.