G4 Root (Testing)

Search This thread

macdaddie87

Jan 31, 2010

This is a test root method for the G4. It is based off of the original root method for rooting LG devices. The original method showed modified in the boot loader but it didn't have su. This a modified script to push su correctly and the su used by the H815.

Note: On the H815 If you would like root all you have to do is unlock boot loader, flash twrp for G4 then flash the supersu.zip

WARNING: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

This is a new method that i discovered. Instead of rooting we are just going to flash TWRP then we can root through the recovery. I have tested this on my G3 and i can confirm that you are able to flash recoveries through download mode.

The Recovery used in this is TWRP for H815 and I am not sure of how compatible it is with other variants but if it gives you root then its worth testing.

Files:LGG4_rFLASH.zip
Drivers:HERE

Step 1: Enable USB Debugging

Step 2: Download G4 Flasher and unzip, Also Install Drivers

Step 3: In unzipped folder open a new command prompt window (Shift+Right click)

Step 4: Run this command
adb.exe push recovery.img /data/local/tmp/

Step 5: Enter Download Mode (Hold Volume Up While plugging in Usb Cable)

Step 6: Check Device Manager> Serial Port (Windows) and make sure your Phones COM is set to 41, if not then change it. After changing it you may have to unplug usb, pull battery and then reboot into download mode.

Step 7: Open a new Command prompt window just like before. in the folder you extracted.

Step 8: Run this Command
Send_Command.exe \\.\COM41

Step 9: Run this to Backup your current recovery
dd if=/dev/block/platform/f9824900.sdhci/by-name/recovery of=/data/local/tmp/recoverybak.img

Step 10: It will now show a # then run this
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/f9824900.sdhci/by-name/recovery

Step 11: Then run this
dd if=/data/local/tmp/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/f9824900.sdhci/by-name/recovery

Step 12: Pull battery and try to boot into recovery

Step 13: Flash Supersu.zip

Note:: to restore original Recovery all you have to do is pull it
adb pull /data/local/tmp/recoverybak.img \

Rename it recovery.img (you might have to delete or rename the one that was extracted from the zip earlier because the can only be one recovery.img in a folder )
then rinse and repeat all the steps

Last edited:

hytin

Sep 27, 2007
Gemla
cant download G4_Rootbeta1.zip

her it is

Attachments

• G4_Rootbeta1.zip_(Unzipped_Files)-2015-06-04.zip
    10.7 MB · Views: 1,087
Last edited:

madhouze

Apr 21, 2007
So I tried this on the H811 (T-Mobile) version.
Everything worked just as described UNTIL the part where I needed to run the root script.
After I paste the SH command, it thinks for a moment, and returns me to the # line...
Not sure how to continue from here, but will be happy to be a guinea pig if someone can tell me what to try.

D6aq0jbc-90nwA_98QmpzYkc3MSy6Di2suc-unOOB44C=w741-h397-no

Masta_Gee81

Oct 16, 2011
Frankfurt Germany/Teheran
So I tried this on the H811 (T-Mobile) version.
Everything worked just as described UNTIL the part where I needed to run the root script.
After I paste the SH command, it thinks for a moment, and returns me to the # line...
Not sure how to continue from here, but will be happy to be a guinea pig if someone can tell me what to try.

D6aq0jbc-90nwA_98QmpzYkc3MSy6Di2suc-unOOB44C=w741-h397-no

Same here on H815 ?!

My Bootloader ist Locked. Is that the reason ??? Do i have to unlock it ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Why does every single thread about rooting for this device end in conflict? Seriously... Been in XDA a while... Never seen such volatile forums for a device. This it's supposed to be fun for everybody. Just sayin.
    Excellent question.

It mainly comes down to those that are impatient and loose faith. It's that emotion that takes over and feeds into one's self belief that something will not happen.

The title of this thread is quite clear:

G4 Root (Testing)

TESTING PEOPLE If you are not sure of the consequences testing can bring upon your own device, DO NOT TRY!

If you feel this is dangerous for people to try, you are unaware of the core XDA.

We are here to develop. Development is going to happen. Development happens every day.

If you feel this is wrong, i suggest you leave this thread.

Lets continue focusing on the conversation of testing.

Thank you,
    TonyStark​
    Why does every single thread about rooting for this device end in conflict? Seriously... Been in XDA a while... Never seen such volatile forums for a device. This it's supposed to be fun for everybody. Just sayin.

This is a test root method for the G4. It is based off of the original root method for rooting LG devices. The original method showed modified in the boot loader but it didn't have su. This a modified script to push su correctly and the su used by the H815.

Note: On the H815 If you would like root all you have to do is unlock boot loader, flash twrp for G4 then flash the supersu.zip

WARNING: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

This is a new method that i discovered. Instead of rooting we are just going to flash TWRP then we can root through the recovery. I have tested this on my G3 and i can confirm that you are able to flash recoveries through download mode.

The Recovery used in this is TWRP for H815 and I am not sure of how compatible it is with other variants but if it gives you root then its worth testing.

Files:LGG4_rFLASH.zip
    Drivers:HERE

Step 1: Enable USB Debugging

Step 2: Download G4 Flasher and unzip, Also Install Drivers

Step 3: In unzipped folder open a new command prompt window (Shift+Right click)

Step 4: Run this command
    adb.exe push recovery.img /data/local/tmp/

Step 5: Enter Download Mode (Hold Volume Up While plugging in Usb Cable)

Step 6: Check Device Manager> Serial Port (Windows) and make sure your Phones COM is set to 41, if not then change it. After changing it you may have to unplug usb, pull battery and then reboot into download mode.

Step 7: Open a new Command prompt window just like before. in the folder you extracted.

Step 8: Run this Command
    Send_Command.exe \\.\COM41

Step 9: Run this to Backup your current recovery
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/f9824900.sdhci/by-name/recovery of=/data/local/tmp/recoverybak.img

Step 10: It will now show a # then run this
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/f9824900.sdhci/by-name/recovery

Step 11: Then run this
    dd if=/data/local/tmp/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/f9824900.sdhci/by-name/recovery

Step 12: Pull battery and try to boot into recovery

Step 13: Flash Supersu.zip

Note:: to restore original Recovery all you have to do is pull it
    adb pull /data/local/tmp/recoverybak.img \

Rename it recovery.img (you might have to delete or rename the one that was extracted from the zip earlier because the can only be one recovery.img in a folder )
    then rinse and repeat all the steps
    It's gonna happen. It did with the g3. We always get worried that we havnt heard anything but one day we will see something in the Dev forums. Be patient and let's all be cool to each other. Here's to root and some kind of twrp for this phone.