Solution for those who cant send MMS over wifi on ICS update

Search This thread

blackangst

Jun 25, 2008
Phoenix
Ive seen a few threads about this, as well as several on the TMo boards and other boards about people not being able to send or receive MMS over wifi after the ICS update. I also had this issue and called TMo. I spoke to their 2nd level support, and the solution per Samsung is first send a picture to yourself via gmail (the gmail acct associated with your phone) while on wifi. After you receive it, you should be able to send and recieve MMS over wifi from there on out.

It worked for me, so I thought Id share with you. I cant speak for custom ROMS as Im on stock rooted.

edit: the symptoms I was having was I would send an MMS, and it would sit at sending. If I received an MMS, I got the notification of a new text with a download button. Hit that, and it sits at download. FYI I just checked my wifes SGS2 and she's on Darkside 2.7 and had the same issue. I perfomed the fix above, and now it works. So it appears this fixes the problem on GB as well.

Last edited:

noodles2224

Jan 10, 2009
Do you send the picture to yourself through a computer to gmail? Or using the phone to yourself?

NAKALAK

May 6, 2012
yeah, i just tried the same thing and nothing happened, however, mine won't even switch to 4g to send/receive mms

blackangst

Jun 25, 2008
Phoenix
Damn sorry guys...apparently its the Samsung fix and it worked on mine and my wifes phone...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA

JPOKeefe

Jan 7, 2012
For people who have 4g turn on just turn off mobile data in settings then do it

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

Reactions: TonySpark

TonySpark

Jun 1, 2012
This worked for me after several attempts.

Attempt 1: enable wifi and wifi calling. Send email. Email did not send.
Attempt 2: enable wifi only. Send email. Did not resovle issue.
Attempt 3: enable wifi and wifi calling, disable data network. Send email. reboot. Test MMS. Works. Enable data network. Tes MMS again. Problem Fixed.

Reactions: ruphskunk

NAKALAK

May 6, 2012

Attempt 3: enable wifi and wifi calling, disable data network. Send email. reboot. Test MMS. Works. Enable data network. Tes MMS again. Problem Fixed.

So just to make sure, do you send the email to your Gmail address through the messaging app or through the Gmail app? I would love to get my MMS working with the ICS update.

wmblalock

Apr 3, 2009
I have tried this several times, doesn't work for me. Any other suggestions?
It might be different for me as well because I am using Straight Talk (on tmobile network) but even if i enable WIFI Calling, it won't work and just shows error.

ruphskunk

Mar 17, 2011

I got this to work. I repeated #3.

When sending the email, use the messaging app.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ive seen a few threads about this, as well as several on the TMo boards and other boards about people not being able to send or receive MMS over wifi after the ICS update. I also had this issue and called TMo. I spoke to their 2nd level support, and the solution per Samsung is first send a picture to yourself via gmail (the gmail acct associated with your phone) while on wifi. After you receive it, you should be able to send and recieve MMS over wifi from there on out.

It worked for me, so I thought Id share with you. I cant speak for custom ROMS as Im on stock rooted.

edit: the symptoms I was having was I would send an MMS, and it would sit at sending. If I received an MMS, I got the notification of a new text with a download button. Hit that, and it sits at download. FYI I just checked my wifes SGS2 and she's on Darkside 2.7 and had the same issue. I perfomed the fix above, and now it works. So it appears this fixes the problem on GB as well.
    Do you send the picture to yourself through a computer to gmail? Or using the phone to yourself?

While connected to wifi, from the phone, via gmail acct registered to my phone, sent to the same gmail acct.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA
    For people who have 4g turn on just turn off mobile data in settings then do it

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium