[TOOL][LINUX]PNG to RLE conversion scripts - make your own splash screen!

Search This thread

KeiranFTW

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 17, 2011
Sunderland
Right.....

There is one thing I have always wanted to do, make my own splashscreen :)
As you know, I am the sort of person who makes scripts to accomplish these type of things (really, my memory is that bad), so I created a set of scripts for converting RLE splash image files into PNG files, vice versa.

How to use:
Open the terminal, and issue the command:
Code:
mkdir tools
then extract http://icxperia.com/keiran/tools/splashtools.zip into the tools folder :)
then, in the terminal:
Code:
cd tools
chmod +x set-permissions.sh
./set-permissions.sh
exit
now, permissions for the executables have been set.
Now, move your png/rle to the tools folder.
navigate to the tools folder again, and depending on what you want to do, either double click on png-to-rle.sh or rle-to-png.sh and select run in terminal, then enter the filename of your rle/png without the rle/png extension

When converting to RLE, the RLE file will be in the OUT folder :)

Keiran

sonicfreak360

Aug 19, 2010
This is going to be awesome, maybe people should share their boot logos in this thread?

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

paxChristos

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 27, 2011
West Bend
You should probably put that this is for Ubuntu/whatever distro you use. I tried it on Arch Linux and it pretty much told me i was wrong :p
(Arch linux does not have the convert binary :p)

Also, when I used this tool, some (not all) of the of the colors are the negative of what they should be...

Last edited:

Atarii

May 10, 2011
You should probably put that this is for Ubuntu/whatever distro you use. I tried it on Arch Linux and it pretty much told me i was wrong :p

Also, when I used this tool, some (not all) of the of the colors are the negative of what they should be...

You need to add the imagemagick http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php (that's the missing convert executable)

@Keiran Maybe you should link to DooMLoRD's original Windows thread for credit: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1140406

Last edited:

KeiranFTW

Nov 17, 2011
Sunderland

I think that has to do with the PNG format and how you save the image :)

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk

Atarii

May 10, 2011
Nope, it's built into Ubuntu, not arch, different distros have different binaries stored in either /bin/ or /usr/bin/

Yes but you can also download the latest version from the ImageMagick and add it locally. Keiran could have packaged it into the tools and so wouldn't have this problem (as DooMLoRD's version does)

KeiranFTW

Nov 17, 2011
Sunderland
The colour inversion thing is doing me head in...
Anyone able to solve this issue?

Keiran

Atarii

May 10, 2011
It doesn't matter about layers.

It's more likely that you've got too many colours; remember that rgb565 is only a 16bit pixel format. Try reducing the number of colours in your source image

Reactions: KeiranFTW

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Right.....

There is one thing I have always wanted to do, make my own splashscreen :)
    As you know, I am the sort of person who makes scripts to accomplish these type of things (really, my memory is that bad), so I created a set of scripts for converting RLE splash image files into PNG files, vice versa.

How to use:
    Open the terminal, and issue the command:
    Code:
    mkdir tools
    then extract http://icxperia.com/keiran/tools/splashtools.zip into the tools folder :)
    then, in the terminal:
    Code:
    cd tools
    chmod +x set-permissions.sh
    ./set-permissions.sh
    exit
    now, permissions for the executables have been set.
    Now, move your png/rle to the tools folder.
    navigate to the tools folder again, and depending on what you want to do, either double click on png-to-rle.sh or rle-to-png.sh and select run in terminal, then enter the filename of your rle/png without the rle/png extension

When converting to RLE, the RLE file will be in the OUT folder :)

Keiran
    It doesn't matter about layers.

It's more likely that you've got too many colours; remember that rgb565 is only a 16bit pixel format. Try reducing the number of colours in your source image
    Pity they spelt my name wrong, I did that myself once and was sitting here all day wondering why I couldn't log in haha.
    Going to make a linux toolkit now, with stuff so that you can stick the image in your ramdisk :)
    Great idea, a n00b friendly linux tool, with my recovery image on it too, because people keep flashing it lol :)
    You are only meant to boot it.
    I could also add in a kernel flasher too, for peeps that don't know how to flash kernels :)

In fact, ima go make a ROM kitchen :)

Dude. Wow. Seriously? You are something AMAZING that came to us Xperias! I'm so glad I've got Linux now!

I have like half of it done already lol.
    You could say I am a bit lazy, I cant really be bothered to enter things in over and over again, so I don't, I make a script with all.the commands in, then execute it.
    The Rom kitchen, I could do with a few scripts :)