Mediapad M3 Lite 8 - Bootloader Unlock Guide

Search This thread

avkjbl5bak

Sep 1, 2018
Brand new here, looking to unlock, root and then flash a standard Android build or custom DeGoogled ROM for my new device. I was looking to find a way to unlock the bootloader to start and found that Huawei have stopped giving out unlock codes and that the info around unlocking wasn't great so I made a note of all my steps as below.

Please let me know if this works for you and if you have any issues, please also read and follow the guidelines carefully as there are lots of things like using all the applications as an administator and changing directories that are important.

I am also looking for a way to install TWRP or another recovery thing on this device so I don't brick it, as I want to root the tablet and muck around with it. Has anyone got any experience of doing this successfully and does anyone have links to methods to create a cloned backup of the standard OS?

This was done on a brand new Mediapad M3 Lite 8 (the Wifi version, not LTE) with Android 7.0, EMUI 5.1, CPN-W09, build CPN-W09C100B251 - BUT will probably work on the LTE version, the non-lite version and the 7 and 10 inch models.

IMPORTANT: This costs money and is done through the DC Unlocker tool, it costs 4 credits (4 euros/dollars) for the Mediapad M3 Lite 8 (Wifi, not LTE) as Huawei now do not offer the bootloader code AT ALL . I have copied/streamlined the steps below that were found as guides originally at the dc unlocker website, check their site guides to find originals.

Step 1 - Developer Options enable
Go to settings, about tablet, tap build number 7 times to unlock developer options
Go to developer options, enable OEM unlock, enable USB debugging

Step 2 - Enable manufacture mode
If your phone has a dialpad, enter dial pad code *#*#2846579#*#*
IF your phone doesn't have a dialpad, go to calculator and enter ()()2846579()()=
This willl take you to a developer menu, select "Project Menu", "Background settings", "USB ports settings", "Manufacture mode".

Step 3 - Install drivers
Connect your Android device to your PC with a usb cable and either install Hisuite from the connected drive that will attach, or download it from the Huawei website by searching for Huawei Hisuite and going to their official website.

To check this has worked, go to Device Manager on your PC and look for Modems - there should be an entry called Android Adapter Modem - if this is not present try disconnecting/reconnecting your device and restarting Hisuite.

Step 4 - Read bootloader code
Download the latest DC Unlocker tool from dc-unlocker dot com and extract it, then AS AN ADMINISTRATOR (right click and Run as Administrator) run the client.exe (was called dc-unlockerclient2.exe)

Click Select Manufacturer dropdown and change to Huawei Phones, not Modems, press the magnifier/search icon at bottom left and your phone info should be found. This should also

Step 5 - Buy credits from the dc unlocker site as a new user, try 4 credits first and then login with these new user details in the dc unlocker application on your PC, this will show your credits and the phone connected as well as the cost. Click the Unlocking icon on the top right and click Read botloader code to get your code. Make a note of this/copy it somewhere.

Step 6 - Go back to the folder that dc unlocker is in
Go into the unzipped folder and then copy the location of this folder by clicking on the address bar in File Explorer and copying this location, you'll have something similar to
C:\Users\ExampleUser\Downloads\dc-unlocker2client_1.00.1403

Step 7 - Turn off your phone and turn it back on holding the Vol down and Power buttons to enter fastboot mode, connect your device to your PC

Step 8 - Open cmd by searching for cmd in windows, right click cmd and open it as administrator, you'll get the black and white windows terminal

In the terminal type "cd C:\Users\ExampleUser\Downloads\dc-unlocker2client_1.00.1403" (or the path for the latest version of the dc unlocker you have downloaded) without the quotation marks and with YOUR directory path as described above. The command cd just changes directory to the one you give. Your terminal should now show the above directory as the path in which it now sends commands, i.e the > mark is now displayed after the directory path we copied

Step 9 - Type "adb devices" without quotation marks to start the adb daemon

Step 10 - Type "fastboot devices" without quotation marks and you should see a device number with the word fastboot next to it.

Step 11 - Now type "fastboot oem unlock" without the quotation marks, followed by a space and then your bootloader unlock code i.e
fastboot oem unlock XYZ123456789

Step 12 - Your device should show a screen asking you to accept the unlock, then onto another screen where you should press the power key to continue onto booting your factory reset unlocked device.

Step 13 - You might have to disconnect the USB cable and reboot your device now, and you'll set up the device from scratch again - but now the bootloader unlocked, allowing you to load stuff like TWRP if you can find the right version - which I can't right now! :good:

Reactions: Incredulus

avkjbl5bak

Sep 1, 2018
I have also now been able to install TWRP by using the TWRP image specifically for BAH-W09 found on page 17 of the "TWRP (greatslon mod)" in the link provided by pitapart
thread. I can't post links yet which is why I'm typing to source....

I have been trying to flash SuperSU using the latest 2.82 zip but keep getting the error "Extracting Ramdisk - Failure, aborting", which is the same error I'm getting when trying to root using SRKtool, both the 2.1 universal version and the 2.0 Huawei version, using option 1 for Mate P8 or option 6 for systemless.

I've downloaded a system root version of SuperSU (google "supersu system mode", first XDA thread) and flashed using TWRP, it says it has installed but the SuperSU app doesn't show root, and typing "su" in TWRP console doesn't show I can do commands in superuser mode. Can anyone help?

aldibootle

Jan 5, 2018
I recently have been purchased the LTE version of this device. Although I cannot try this out currently, I probably will in the future so please keep us updated about your experiments for reference!

howgies

Mar 17, 2008
I have also now been able to install TWRP by using the TWRP image specifically for BAH-W09 found on page 17 of the "TWRP (greatslon mod)" in the link provided by pitapart
thread. I can't post links yet which is why I'm typing to source....

I have been trying to flash SuperSU using the latest 2.82 zip but keep getting the error "Extracting Ramdisk - Failure, aborting", which is the same error I'm getting when trying to root using SRKtool, both the 2.1 universal version and the 2.0 Huawei version, using option 1 for Mate P8 or option 6 for systemless.

I've downloaded a system root version of SuperSU (google "supersu system mode", first XDA thread) and flashed using TWRP, it says it has installed but the SuperSU app doesn't show root, and typing "su" in TWRP console doesn't show I can do commands in superuser mode. Can anyone help?

Hi,

Were you ever able to get your Mediapad M3 Lite 8 rooted? I really like this tablet but, need the 5 Ghz wifi band which requires root from everything I have read.

Thanks

Hi,

Were you ever able to get your Mediapad M3 Lite 8 rooted? I really like this tablet but, need the 5 Ghz wifi band which requires root from everything I have read.

Thanks

I have my Mediapad M3 Lite rooted by magisk.
I followed the unlock guide and unlocked the bootloader.
I couldn't find my exact firmware I downloaded the most recent one I could find.
I extracted the boot.img with Huawei Update extractor and copied it to my phone.
I download and installed latest magisk app.
I opened the magic app-> install -> install -> patch the boot image file which I then flashed through fastboot.
I then opened magisk -> install -> Direct install.

Everything works but like me you take a risk in not using the exact boot.img.

I tried and installed TWRP which worked but the volume keys would let me run the script I was trying to rebrand the phone. In the end it isn't necessary to root the phone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190106-184345.png
    Screenshot_20190106-184345.png
    214.1 KB · Views: 613
  • Screenshot_20190106-184529.jpg
    Screenshot_20190106-184529.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 612
  • Screenshot_20190106-184047.png
    Screenshot_20190106-184047.png
    89.5 KB · Views: 597
Last edited:

nicolap8

Jul 3, 2011
I followed the unlock guide and unlocked the bootloader.
I couldn't find my exact firmware I downloaded the most recent one I could find.
I extracted the boot.img with Huawei Update extractor and copied it to my phone.
Very bad idea and advice:
- people often uses wrong firmware or wrong version;
- a boot from a different version can be incompatible, you can be sure only too late!

The right thing is to boot to TWRP then in the console, using "dd" command do a copy of original boot!

Very bad idea and advice:
- people often uses wrong firmware or wrong version;
- a boot from a different version can be incompatible, you can be sure only too late!

The right thing is to boot to TWRP then in the console, using "dd" command do a copy of original boot!

Very poor reply, you did not read my post properly, just jumped in to demonstrate your superciliousness. No advice was given and you missed the word risk. More productive use of replying would have been to include the actual command required anyway which is:

dd if=/dev/block/boot-device/by-name/boot of=boot.img

Helping wasn't the point your trying to make.

nicolap8

Jul 3, 2011
Very poor reply, you did not read my post properly, just jumped in to demonstrate your superciliousness. No advice was given and you missed the word risk. More productive use of replying would have been to include the actual command required anyway which is:

dd if=/dev/block/boot-device/by-name/boot of=boot.img

Helping wasn't the point your trying to make.
:D if my reply is too poor, report it to mods...

A post like your IS an advice because people read and follow it. What is wrong is not that you write or my opinion but people behaviour :(
I read the "risk" word but a lot of people would not. This is also the reason I don't wrote the dd command: search and learn! Most of the messages you read here are of people who have broken their own terminal because just followed a post like your, without knowing what are doing.
N

Everything works but like me you take a risk in not using the exact boot.img.

I see in your first screenshot the fingerprint-id menuentry is gone.... does your fingerprint-sensor working properly ?

I rooted my mediapad m3 lite 10 in the same way, but my boot-image is the right version. ( installed is BAH-W09C100B257, firmware downloaded with the huawei firmware finder app is exactly BAH-W09C100B257) . My fingerprint menuentry is gone too.....and the sensor doesnt work (with the working registered fingerprint before the rooting)

Marc

I see in your first screenshot the fingerprint-id menuentry is gone.... does your fingerprint-sensor working properly ?

I rooted my mediapad m3 lite 10 in the same way, but my boot-image is the right version. ( installed is BAH-W09C100B257, firmware downloaded with the huawei firmware finder app is exactly BAH-W09C100B257) . My fingerprint menuentry is gone too.....and the sensor doesnt work (with the working registered fingerprint before the rooting)

Marc

I did not have the fingerprint option activated so I checked it and found my sensor also does not work with the patched boot.img on. I could search and find the fingerprint menu entry but could not get it to operate. Reflashing the stock boot.img returned the sensor menu and fingerprint to normal but of course you lose root. More searching for solutions required.

Also I'm using the TWRP-3.2.1-bah-20180627.img recovery. The volume keys don't work so the hurupdater script I'd like to use aborts. Anyone got any other recovery for a CPN-W09C128B006?.

mehboob.piracha

Jul 9, 2017
I did not have the fingerprint option activated so I checked it and found my sensor also does not work with the patched boot.img on. I could search and find the fingerprint menu entry but could not get it to operate. Reflashing the stock boot.img returned the sensor menu and fingerprint to normal but of course you lose root. More searching for solutions required.

Also I'm using the TWRP-3.2.1-bah-20180627.img recovery. The volume keys don't work so the hurupdater script I'd like to use aborts. Anyone got any other recovery for a CPN-W09C128B006?.
I have

jkindem

Dec 20, 2016
Brand new here, looking to unlock, root and then flash a standard Android build or custom DeGoogled ROM for my new device. I was looking to find a way to unlock the bootloader to start and found that Huawei have stopped giving out unlock codes and that the info around unlocking wasn't great so I made a note of all my steps as below.

Please let me know if this works for you and if you have any issues, please also read and follow the guidelines carefully as there are lots of things like using all the applications as an administator and changing directories that are important.

I am also looking for a way to install TWRP or another recovery thing on this device so I don't brick it, as I want to root the tablet and muck around with it. Has anyone got any experience of doing this successfully and does anyone have links to methods to create a cloned backup of the standard OS?

This was done on a brand new Mediapad M3 Lite 8 (the Wifi version, not LTE) with Android 7.0, EMUI 5.1, CPN-W09, build CPN-W09C100B251 - BUT will probably work on the LTE version, the non-lite version and the 7 and 10 inch models.

IMPORTANT: This costs money and is done through the DC Unlocker tool, it costs 4 credits (4 euros/dollars) for the Mediapad M3 Lite 8 (Wifi, not LTE) as Huawei now do not offer the bootloader code AT ALL . I have copied/streamlined the steps below that were found as guides originally at the dc unlocker website, check their site guides to find originals.

Go to settings, about tablet, tap build number 7 times to unlock developer options

IF your phone doesn't have a dialpad, go to calculator and enter ()()2846579()()=
This willl take you to a developer menu, select "Project Menu", "Background settings", "USB ports settings", "Manufacture mode".

Step 3 - Install drivers
Connect your Android device to your PC with a usb cable and either install Hisuite from the connected drive that will attach, or download it from the Huawei website by searching for Huawei Hisuite and going to their official website.

To check this has worked, go to Device Manager on your PC and look for Modems - there should be an entry called Android Adapter Modem - if this is not present try disconnecting/reconnecting your device and restarting Hisuite.

Download the latest DC Unlocker tool from dc-unlocker dot com and extract it, then AS AN ADMINISTRATOR (right click and Run as Administrator) run the client.exe (was called dc-unlockerclient2.exe)

Click Select Manufacturer dropdown and change to Huawei Phones, not Modems, press the magnifier/search icon at bottom left and your phone info should be found. This should also

Step 5 - Buy credits from the dc unlocker site as a new user, try 4 credits first and then login with these new user details in the dc unlocker application on your PC, this will show your credits and the phone connected as well as the cost. Click the Unlocking icon on the top right and click Read botloader code to get your code. Make a note of this/copy it somewhere.

Go into the unzipped folder and then copy the location of this folder by clicking on the address bar in File Explorer and copying this location, you'll have something similar to

Step 7 - Turn off your phone and turn it back on holding the Vol down and Power buttons to enter fastboot mode, connect your device to your PC

Step 8 - Open cmd by searching for cmd in windows, right click cmd and open it as administrator, you'll get the black and white windows terminal

In the terminal type "cd C:\Users\ExampleUser\Downloads\dc-unlocker2client_1.00.1403" (or the path for the latest version of the dc unlocker you have downloaded) without the quotation marks and with YOUR directory path as described above. The command cd just changes directory to the one you give. Your terminal should now show the above directory as the path in which it now sends commands, i.e the > mark is now displayed after the directory path we copied

Step 10 - Type "fastboot devices" without quotation marks and you should see a device number with the word fastboot next to it.

Step 11 - Now type "fastboot oem unlock" without the quotation marks, followed by a space and then your bootloader unlock code i.e

Step 12 - Your device should show a screen asking you to accept the unlock, then onto another screen where you should press the power key to continue onto booting your factory reset unlocked device.

Step 13 - You might have to disconnect the USB cable and reboot your device now, and you'll set up the device from scratch again - but now the bootloader unlocked, allowing you to load stuff like TWRP if you can find the right version - which I can't right now! :good:

Did you ever get and answer to your question about cloning or getting the original factory images. I've been trying on and off for 9months. I have unlocked the bootloader and backed up using TWRP (from the 10inch model), but when I relocked the bootloader everything fell apart... unstable boot loops, etc. not sure if I had to wipe recovery I burned with TWRP or what. Also TWRP does not back-up the data partition I think due to encryption (from other posts I read). My goal was to rebrand a pile of the Chinese version tablets I have to US because we use them in our product, and the US are not available, so rebranding would give me more time before to find a replacement. Any clues would help!!!

Lothgar

Oct 5, 2014
Rome

I successfully rooted my CPN-L09 without loosing fp sensor, have a look here: https://xdaforums.com/mediapad-m3/help/to-patch-boot-img-magisk-v17-3-t3938629

bigprat9

Aug 29, 2019
Hi
im a new member but have been using the site for ages.

my mediapad m3 is also wifi only and im trying to get the code for the bootloader to be unlocked except for the fact that my calculator app isn't scientific enough (lol) to include brackets.

what do I do to get the code or update my calc app?

alex

TimFr

Sep 7, 2010
Hi

my mediapad m3 is also wifi only and im trying to get the code for the bootloader to be unlocked except for the fact that my calculator app isn't scientific enough (lol) to include brackets.

alex

You have to use the calculator in landscape mode (turn on auto-rotate) and then the bracket buttons will appear.

So I finally got around to installing this on my stock version. I found 16GB was too limiting and I was hoping to use the SD card to expand the space so I could use it for a few more years. I purchased the code from DC_unlocker.

A couple of things I noticed while following the guide. To enter fastboot mode, holding down the volume down and power button doesn't seem to work. What you to do is while it's off, hold down the volume down button and plug in the microusb cable, while continuing to hold it down. You could also enter fastboot using an ADB command.

Also I couldn't wipe anything before installing the new roms, I got error messages. I'm not sure what that means. Anyways after installing android 9, it seemed to take a very long time to first boot. The graphic animation is going, but I wasn't sure if it was working so I hard reset once, tried to boot again and then waited again, hard reset again and put it down thinking I would have to look into the error messages and when I came back it was up and running.

Reactions: Incredulus
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

A few days ago, I followed the instructions unlocking the bootloader of my Mediapad M3 lite 8 (CPN-W09) and sure enough, I successfully unlocked the bootloader. However I've now run into another problem - I cannot get the FRP on the tablet to be unlocked!

Nothing I've tried seems to get it to unlock. The (only) Google account used on the tablet has been my own, and it's been no problem signing back into my account when factory resetting the tablet. One time when investigating it, after a factory reset it did say that it was "restricted" but again, adding my Google account details on the setup was no issue, but even after then deleting the account (which, if I'm right, should set FRP to "unlocked") when I enter into fastboot mode it still shows FRP as locked! And it shows it no matter what I do, wherever the Google account is "active" on the tablet or not, and the last four or five times I've did a factory reset with both data and cache partition wipes done and nothing budges. I think I'm at a lost cause here - the "OEM Unlock" option in the developer settings is totally greyed out. ?

Of course, the tablet is still "usable" but there is no way to carry out special functions after unlocking the bootloader, like rooting, install TWRP, custom ROM etc. and it just kinds of stands in a limbo.

I've tried searching here on XDA and the web in general, high and low, to see if this problem has affected anyone else, and strangely it doesn't seem to happen to anyone else!

For the record, I've also tried hardreset.info's FRP unlock tool which claimed to be successful, but it clearly wasn't!

I hope someone out there might have a solution to my woe - as I think I've partially crippled by M3 Lite 8 otherwise by trying to unlock the bootloader. :(

surdu_petru

Recognized Contributor
Feb 3, 2010
Paris

A few days ago, I followed the instructions unlocking the bootloader of my Mediapad M3 lite 8 (CPN-W09) and sure enough, I successfully unlocked the bootloader. However I've now run into another problem - I cannot get the FRP on the tablet to be unlocked!

Nothing I've tried seems to get it to unlock. The (only) Google account used on the tablet has been my own, and it's been no problem signing back into my account when factory resetting the tablet. One time when investigating it, after a factory reset it did say that it was "restricted" but again, adding my Google account details on the setup was no issue, but even after then deleting the account (which, if I'm right, should set FRP to "unlocked") when I enter into fastboot mode it still shows FRP as locked! And it shows it no matter what I do, wherever the Google account is "active" on the tablet or not, and the last four or five times I've did a factory reset with both data and cache partition wipes done and nothing budges. I think I'm at a lost cause here - the "OEM Unlock" option in the developer settings is totally greyed out. ?

Of course, the tablet is still "usable" but there is no way to carry out special functions after unlocking the bootloader, like rooting, install TWRP, custom ROM etc. and it just kinds of stands in a limbo.

I've tried searching here on XDA and the web in general, high and low, to see if this problem has affected anyone else, and strangely it doesn't seem to happen to anyone else!

For the record, I've also tried hardreset.info's FRP unlock tool which claimed to be successful, but it clearly wasn't!

I hope someone out there might have a solution to my woe - as I think I've partially crippled by M3 Lite 8 otherwise by trying to unlock the bootloader. :(

You could try to lock bootloader back, and before to unlock bootloader again, first just unlock OEM .

Reactions: lawhec
You could try to lock bootloader back, and before to unlock bootloader again, first just unlock OEM .

I did try this at the time, and I couldn't get it to work. But I had another try at it yesterday and I managed to get the bootloader locked again, toggle OEM unlock to "off" and unlocked the bootloader once more and it worked! :eek:

So after doing this, I tried to get TWRP 3.3.1-1 flashed but it would stay frozen on the screen - I then read that I needed to install TWRP 3.2.0-0 first, install the August 2019 Lineage 16 firmware, then go back to the bootloader, flash TWRP 3.3.1-0, check everything was OK and then return to bootloader to finally flash TWRP 3.3.1-1. Success! I then flashed the latest Lineage OS 17.1 firmware along with Open Gapps (ARM64, Android 10, nano) and so far everything has worked OK. I just need to download all my apps again, but I'm sure it will give my CPN-W09 a new lease of life!

I used to do some rooting previously with Android handsets in the past, but the last time was two years ago (rooting & upgrading an Alcatel handset to Android 6.0) and FRP was new to me, throwing me off.

I've donated some Euros to you as an appreciation for your work & advice. Merci beaucoup! :D

surdu_petru

Recognized Contributor
Feb 3, 2010
Paris
I did try this at the time, and I couldn't get it to work. But I had another try at it yesterday and I managed to get the bootloader locked again, toggle OEM unlock to "off" and unlocked the bootloader once more and it worked! :eek:

So after doing this, I tried to get TWRP 3.3.1-1 flashed but it would stay frozen on the screen - I then read that I needed to install TWRP 3.2.0-0 first, install the August 2019 Lineage 16 firmware, then go back to the bootloader, flash TWRP 3.3.1-0, check everything was OK and then return to bootloader to finally flash TWRP 3.3.1-1. Success! I then flashed the latest Lineage OS 17.1 firmware along with Open Gapps (ARM64, Android 10, nano) and so far everything has worked OK. I just need to download all my apps again, but I'm sure it will give my CPN-W09 a new lease of life!

I used to do some rooting previously with Android handsets in the past, but the last time was two years ago (rooting & upgrading an Alcatel handset to Android 6.0) and FRP was new to me, throwing me off.

I've donated some Euros to you as an appreciation for your work & advice. Merci beaucoup! :D

Thank you very much too :)

Incredulus

Mar 8, 2020
Hello

I followed the steps here to unlock the bootloader with my btv-dl09, that worked fine even its not lite.. :fingers-crossed:
but now, any clues? may i ll try the way of lawhec with

but cant find the TWRP 3.3.1-1?
may u Mean
[Recovery][Official] TWRP 3.3.1-10 [G97*0][Snap][3.Jan.20]
[Recovery][Official] TWRP 3.3.1-12 Snapdragon [N97x0][10.Nov.19]
[RECOVERY][ROOT]TWRP 3.3.1-1 Galaxy J6+/J610F/FN/G/DS
???

if so, why u choose one of these? No Clue for me^^ plz let me know :confused:

greetz

ADD: just found
Developed By :letschky
twrp-3.1.1-1-next.img
Jul 13, 2017 | 03:32PM

maybe these? :D looks pretty old but still working? Oo

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Step 3 - Install drivers

Hi

alex

You have to use the calculator in landscape mode (turn on auto-rotate) and then the bracket buttons will appear.

So I finally got around to installing this on my stock version. I found 16GB was too limiting and I was hoping to use the SD card to expand the space so I could use it for a few more years. I purchased the code from DC_unlocker.

A couple of things I noticed while following the guide. To enter fastboot mode, holding down the volume down and power button doesn't seem to work. What you to do is while it's off, hold down the volume down button and plug in the microusb cable, while continuing to hold it down. You could also enter fastboot using an ADB command.

Also I couldn't wipe anything before installing the new roms, I got error messages. I'm not sure what that means. Anyways after installing android 9, it seemed to take a very long time to first boot. The graphic animation is going, but I wasn't sure if it was working so I hard reset once, tried to boot again and then waited again, hard reset again and put it down thinking I would have to look into the error messages and when I came back it was up and running.