Avoiding an AT&T Data Plan

Search This thread

Postal76

Mar 26, 2009
I was happily using my Nexus One on AT&T without a data plan (and with data blocked) since it was released, but I made the mistake of giving AT&T the IMEI number of my Nexus today. Now they tell me that I am required to get a $30 data plan because it is a "PDA", despite the fact that it cannot use 3G on AT&T's network.

Does anyone know of a way to ditch the data plan? Is it possible that I could give AT&T the IMEI of an old phone, then switch my SIM to the Nexus?

laughter95

Jan 7, 2010
as a user who uses the nexus one on att, heating something like this is
infuriating.how is it their business to make you buy a data plan? I can understand if they subsidized the phone but obviously in this case it was not. thanks for the heads up. i would never disclose this kind of information to att unless I absolutely had to do so.

JHaste

Jan 7, 2010
Tempe Arizona!
use this as a way to break your contract and come to tmobile and enjoy the way a real provider is sposed to treat you... pretty much if you have ATT and dont have an iphone, they dont care about you

pjcforpres

Nov 11, 2008
CR
I was happily using my Nexus One on AT&T without a data plan (and with data blocked) since it was released, but I made the mistake of giving AT&T the IMEI number of my Nexus today. Now they tell me that I am required to get a $30 data plan because it is a "PDA", despite the fact that it cannot use 3G on AT&T's network.

Does anyone know of a way to ditch the data plan? Is it possible that I could give AT&T the IMEI of an old phone, then switch my SIM to the Nexus?

I am kinda surprised they are doing this... Then again, times are "tough"...

I would ask them where in the contract you signed it says you have to have a data plan? Let them know that if they start charging you for a service you didn't sign up for or agree to, they will be hearing from an attorney.

maxh

May 20, 2006
Austin
When AT&T began mandating the smartphone dataplans (September?) people that already had a smartphone on their account without a smartphone data plan were given a feature called "smartphone exclusion". If you had this and they took it off when you gave them the nexus one imei, you may be able to call customer service and get them to put it back on. That's the only way I can think of. They're implementing a system which automatically adds a smartphone data plan onto your account when you put your sim card into a smartphone and it reports a recognized smartphone imei to AT&T unless you have the smartphone exclusion feature.

http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1618214

Postal76

Mar 26, 2009
When AT&T began mandating the smartphone dataplans (September?) people that already had a smartphone on their account without a smartphone data plan were given a feature called "smartphone exclusion". If you had this and they took it off when you gave them the nexus one imei, you may be able to call customer service and get them to put it back on. That's the only way I can think of. They're implementing a system which automatically adds a smartphone data plan onto your account when you put your sim card into a smartphone and it reports a recognized smartphone imei to AT&T unless you have the smartphone exclusion feature.

http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1618214

Very interesting. This make sense, since AT&T should be able to find out what kind of phone you're using even if you don't give them your IMEI. I suppose I might have had a "smartphone exclusion" put on my account back when I was using a myTouch 3G on AT&T without a data plan.

However, I doubt AT&T is going to work with me on this, given the extremely unsatisfactory customer service I received today after speaking to 3 representatives.

mesajoejoe

Jan 18, 2008
What happens when your using just a normal phone with att, and your buddy has a nexus one. and so you go over to his house and put your sim on it just to see how it works, cause your interested in it and all. so you borrow it for a day to test it out. and att starts charging you for data? Sounds bull**** to me that they can do that if your not using 3g data service... period

Matterhorn

Nov 29, 2004
Google Pixel 3
I've had these issues with ATT as well. In September they "discovered" my Touch HD on their network and zapped it from working. I was on the "pay as you go" plan. I switched the SIM to my old HTC Trinity and my service was useable again. Since the Trinity was one of the first full featured phones, they must not have had it in their "kill" database.

I dumped ATT like a hot rock, then went to T-mobile and I've never looked back. ATT has nothing over T-mobile.

Postal76

Mar 26, 2009
I've had these issues with ATT as well. In September they "discovered" my Touch HD on their network and zapped it from working. I was on the "pay as you go" plan. I switched the SIM to my old HTC Trinity and my service was useable again. Since the Trinity was one of the first full featured phones, they must not have had it in their "kill" database.

I dumped ATT like a hot rock, then went to T-mobile and I've never looked back. ATT has nothing over T-mobile.

Trust me, I'd love to do the same. But A&T is much cheaper for me (it would be $120 for a 2 line family plan with data vs. $155 on T-Mobile) even when I don't include my AT&T premier discount. I was pretty sad to learn that T-Mobile's pricing isn't very competitive, at least when it comes to Nexus One plans.

jblazea50

Feb 10, 2010
Beltsville
i've had the N1 on ATT for about a month now and i don't have data plan and never signed up for one; i am near wifi 80-90% of the time and don't need the data plan; never got any texts from them forcing me to get data;

btw, i am on a family plan

maxh

May 20, 2006
Austin
i've had the N1 on ATT for about a month now and i don't have data plan and never signed up for one; i am near wifi 80-90% of the time and don't need the data plan; never got any texts from them forcing me to get data;

btw, i am on a family plan

Supposedly they are turning on their new system for automatically adding data plans market by market. Some people's areas don't have it yet, but I know for a fact they're doing it in Austin, TX because I got hit by it. I had 2 lines with smartphones and put my SIM card into a dumbphone for a few minutes then back into my smartphone. That triggered it, but I have the "smartphone exclusion" on my main line (which happens to be the phone I did the SIM switch in) so only the other line got a $30 data plan added. I ported that line out within a couple of days.

jblazea50

Feb 10, 2010
Beltsville
Supposedly they are turning on their new system for automatically adding data plans market by market. Some people's areas don't have it yet, but I know for a fact they're doing it in Austin, TX because I got hit by it. I had 2 lines with smartphones and put my SIM card into a dumbphone for a few minutes then back into my smartphone. That triggered it, but I have the "smartphone exclusion" on my main line (which happens to be the phone I did the SIM switch in) so only the other line got a $30 data plan added. I ported that line out within a couple of days.

how do you add smartphone exclusion to your phone

technillion

Jun 28, 2007
Elgin, Illinois
It's really simple to ditch the data plans on ATT...

I have a total of 6 phones with ATT. 4 ATT PDAs, 1 ATT non-PDA and mine - which is usually UNLOCKED/UNBRANDED WinMo phone.

I wait a few months after buying any ATT branded phone and call them to let them know I've switched phones. They ask for the IMEI. I run my trusted IMEI Generator (Google it) and start spewing phoney IMEIs to them. When they don't show in their systems as an ATT phone, I can then change all their $30 unlim PDA unlim data plans to the $10 unlim data plan version.

Of course, every rep I every spoke to swears there's a difference between the $30 vs the $10 plan...but WE know better. They work exactly the same!

Come on ATT!!!
My way of stickin it to the MAN!!! :cool:

Postal76

Mar 26, 2009
They ask for the IMEI. I run my trusted IMEI Generator (Google it) and start spewing phoney IMEIs to them. When they don't show in their systems as an ATT phone, I can then change all their $30 unlim PDA unlim data plans to the $10 unlim data plan version.

But won't AT&T recognize your phone as a PDA if you ever actually use it? For instance, you couldn't do the same thing with an iPhone -- if you give them a bogus IMEI then put your SIM in an iPhone, AT&T will find out and they will force you into a data plan.

maxh

May 20, 2006
Austin
In some areas of the country they've implemented the system for automatically detecting when you're using a smartphone and adding the data plan. It seems that not all areas are doing it yet, but I have no doubt they eventually will. My area already does it.

how do you add smartphone exclusion to your phone

It was added automatically to people's accounts back when they first started requiring data plans. If you had a smartphone but no smartphone data they simply put that exclusion feature on your account. I've heard of people that had it removed from their account calling in and arguing until they put it back on, but if you never had it on your account, you're probably out of luck. It's worth a try, though. Maybe if you get a nice rep and use the term "smartphone exclusion feature" they'll give it to you.

jblazea50

Feb 10, 2010
Beltsville
In some areas of the country they've implemented the system for automatically detecting when you're using a smartphone and adding the data plan. It seems that not all areas are doing it yet, but I have no doubt they eventually will. My area already does it.

It was added automatically to people's accounts back when they first started requiring data plans. If you had a smartphone but no smartphone data they simply put that exclusion feature on your account. I've heard of people that had it removed from their account calling in and arguing until they put it back on, but if you never had it on your account, you're probably out of luck. It's worth a try, though. Maybe if you get a nice rep and use the term "smartphone exclusion feature" they'll give it to you.

i had the blackberry curve 8310 with ATT without data plan as i paid the 2 year upgrade price (no rebates, that required the $30 data plan) so would that mean that i have the exclusion feature?

gunnner

Feb 4, 2007
How come you have to *tell* them your IMEI for them to figure this out? Surely they can see exactly what the IMEI of your phone is the minute it connects to their network?

In other news, I hear that Comcast are going to charge more for your internet connection if you have an XBOX connected to it. Their rationale is that with Netflix support and XBOX Live capability, you're capable of using more of their bandwidth.

OK, I'm (obviously) kidding on that last point. But that's effectively what AT&T are doing here.

mer6

May 3, 2009
Towson, MD, USA
flavors.me
Trust me, I'd love to do the same. But A&T is much cheaper for me (it would be $120 for a 2 line family plan with data vs. $155 on T-Mobile) even when I don't include my AT&T premier discount. I was pretty sad to learn that T-Mobile's pricing isn't very competitive, at least when it comes to Nexus One plans.

How is that possible? I'm on Even More Plus with my N1, my Dad's G1, and my Bro's G1 and we're paying $145 a month for 1500 mins + unlimited web (no need for text plan since we all use Google Voice), and we aren't bound to 2-year terms. @_@

maxh

May 20, 2006
Austin
i had the blackberry curve 8310 with ATT without data plan as i paid the 2 year upgrade price (no rebates, that required the $30 data plan) so would that mean that i have the exclusion feature?

There's probably a good chance you do have it. Supposedly you can find it listed somewhere on OLAM, but I don't know where people are looking.

bmj1086

Apr 11, 2008
Dallas

You can get a discount easily with T-Mobile there are tons of discounts. My 20% discount with T-Mobile right now is because I'm in college. My previous one was for working at Wal-Mart 5 years ago [lol they never took it off].

I work for AT&T and I have T-Mobile and I don't plan on switching. Even though AT&T would give me my 20% discount it would still cost more. You can get on T-Mobile without a contract. T-Mobile is the cheapest cell company and they're advertising that a lot right now. The prices for non contract services are great. I can't wait till mine expires because I'll be saving even more money. The Non-contract services aren't "pay as you go" either, they're just monthly usage plans as normal but you're not under contract. The only reason why prices are so high is because you're paying for the phone in your monthly bill.

I love working for AT&T [best company I've ever worked for] but I don't agree with a lot of our ways of doing things. Like how we're the only ones raising prices right now in this economy. There are multiple things I disagree with but it's all business

Oh and the "if you don't have an iPhone they don't care" statement is kind of ridiculous. Sounds a little biased and senseless.