[SGH-T889] CF-Auto-Root

Search This thread

jkxklutz

Apr 29, 2010
I have a noob question: If I plan to be installing different roms in the future, should I be using this? The description does say that it's for people who want as close to stock as possible, which is fine for me, at least for now. But I do plan on installing roms after using stock a bit.

turilo

Jun 17, 2007
Hamilton,Ont
I have a noob question: If I plan to be installing different roms in the future, should I be using this? The description does say that it's for people who want as close to stock as possible, which is fine for me, at least for now. But I do plan on installing roms after using stock a bit.

+1

---------- Post added at 05:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 AM ----------

2012.10.28 --- CF-Auto-Root

SuperSU: v0.96

Download:

SGH-T889: CF-Auto-Root-t0ltetmo-sght889.zip

what are the odds of this working with rogers/att note 2 sgh-l317m name t0ltecan? :D

EDIT: sorry just noticed its using stock tmob recovery so that be a no go correct?:eek:

Last edited:

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu

If you want to install a custom ROM you can use Mobile ODIN to do that, or flash CWM/TWRP, etc, when the need arises. One reason I keep away from custom kernels and recoveries is because they force the flashcounter to 1 at every boot.

working with rogers/att note 2 sgh-l317m name t0ltecan? :D

Hmm, I don't know, maybe you should consult the first line of the first post.

simplelife

Jul 6, 2012
Look like Mobile Odin not support yet. Everytime I open App keep said ( device not support , need generate a dump file ) after check still no go.

sic_lic1o1

Mar 4, 2011
so now that we have stock firmware image. Do i follow the same steps in the OP to reset the flash counter before i odin the stock firmware back to my phone?

turilo

Jun 17, 2007
Hamilton,Ont
If you want to install a custom ROM you can use Mobile ODIN to do that, or flash CWM/TWRP, etc, when the need arises. One reason I keep away from custom kernels and recoveries is because they force the flashcounter to 1 at every boot.

Hmm, I don't know, maybe you should consult the first line of the first post.

Yea ill wait for your Devine brilliance to release one for us sgh-l317m owners eventually:D if anything is needed from my device id gladly try and help :thumbup: I support all your software

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

sic_lic1o1

Mar 4, 2011
can you give more detail what did you do?
i was on Jedi Mater Ptmr Rom. Tried to use the traingle away to reset the flash counter, still showed 1. After that, i tried to use the method in the OP to reroot and used the triangle away to reset the flash counter and it still showed 1. I went ahead and odin to stock firmware to see if that might reset it . I'm now back to stock firmware, not rooted, checked in download mode still show 1.

i hope i explained it right. If you're still confused please let me know. Sorry for my bad english

Last edited:

simplelife

Jul 6, 2012
i was on Jedi Mater Ptmr Rom. Tried to use the traingle away to reset the flash counter, still showed 1. After that, i tried to use the method in the OP to reroot and used the triangle away to reset the flash counter and it still showed 1. I went ahead and odin to stock firmware to see if that might reset it . I'm now back to stock firmware, not rooted, checked in download mode still show 1.

i hope i explained it right. If you're still confused please let me know. Sorry for my bad english
boot into stock recovery wipe cache / data to see if its clear

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Check your device model ! Settings -> About device -> Model number. See the third post for exact support model numbers. If your device is a totally different model, it will not work (may even brick) !

CF-Root is the root for "rooting beginners" and those who want to keep as close to stock as possible. CF-Root is meant to be used in combination with stock Samsung firmwares, and be the quickest and easiest way for your first root.

Donate
    CF-Root has been available for many devices and has clocked over 8 million downloads. This is not even counting custom ROMs that already include it. Don't be a leech, buy me a beer (and use the "Thanks" button!). Imagine if every CF-Root user has donated me $1...

What's installed
    - SuperSU binary and APK
    - Stock recovery

Installation and usage
    Flash the CF-Auto-Root package as PDA in ODIN (details on how to do that are in next post), and your device should reboot into a modified recovery (signified by a large red Android logo) and it will install SuperSU for you and restore the stock recovery, and reboot back into Android.

If you don't get to the red Android logo, boot into recovery manually ("adb reboot recovery", or boot while holding Power+VolUp+Home).

Using this root increases your flash counter. You should run Triangle Away (see below) after rooting to reset the counter. Note that if you want to run custom kernels or custom recoveries, your flash counter will be set to 1 at every boot. Either configure Triangle Away to reset the counter at every boot (Play version only) or only reset the counter when you need to go into warranty.

Did you see the red Android logo during rooting, but SuperSU does not appear? This may sometimes occur due to left-over files and settings, however, you can usually install SuperSU from Google Play at this stage and it'll just work.

Not included - Triangle Away
    Triangle Away can be used to reset the flash counter after installing CF-Root. The flash counter keeps track of how many custom firmwares you have flashed, as this voids warranty. (No idea what this about ? Read up on it, you will want to use this !)

Not included - adbd Insecure
    As this CF-Root does not include a custom kernel, adb shell does not have root access by default (you can still get it by typing su inside the shell), nor is adb remount supported, nor will adb push and adb pull work on system files. adbd Insecure can be used to remedy this situation. (No idea what this is about ? Don't worry about it !)

CF-Auto-Root homepage
    http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/

CF-Auto-Root main thread
    [CENTRAL] CF-Auto-Root
    For requests for new roots and generic discussion - please keep device specific discussion in the thread you are viewing now.
    ODIN Installation (detailed)

- Follow these instructions to the letter. Do not touch any buttons or checkboxes that are not listed below to touch!
    - Unzip the attached Odin3-vX.X.zip file
    - Download and unzip the CF-Auto-Root-....zip file (see posts below this one)
    - If you end up with a recovery.img and cache.img file, you've extracted twice. You need to end up with a .tar.md5 file - don't extract that one
    - (USB) Disconnect your phone from your computer
    - Start Odin3-vX.X.exe
    - Click the PDA button, and select CF-Auto-Root-....tar.md5
    - Put your phone in download mode (turn off phone, then hold VolDown+Home+Power to boot - if it asks you to press a button to continue, press the listed button, or run adb reboot download command)
    - (USB) Connect the phone to your computer
    - Make sure Repartition is NOT checked
    - Click the Start button
    - Wait for Android to boot
    - Done (if it took you more than 30 seconds, you need practise!)

- NOTE: Sometimes the device does *not* boot into recovery mode and root your device. Just do the entire procedure again if this happens. If it still will not install root and such, make sure that in Odin "Auto Reboot" is not checked. Then after flashing, pull the battery, and boot with VolUp+Home+Power button to boot into recovery manually. This will start the install process.

New to Samsung? Unfamiliar with Odin? Think all the above is a hassle? Get used to it. It's very simple, and us Samsung folk use Odin (or Mobile ODIN ;)) for everything! It's so very very convenient once you get used to it. Notice the 30 second comment above? For experienced users, the entire process indeed takes only 30 seconds!

You may now optionally want to install and run Triangle Away to reset the flash counter.
    Download

2013.05.20 --- CF-Auto-Root

SuperSU: v1.30

Download:

SGH-T889: CF-Auto-Root-t0ltetmo-t0ltetmo-sght889.zip

--- History ---
    2013.05.20: SuperSU v1.30
    2013.02.20: SuperSU v1.05
    2012.12.02: SuperSU v0.98
    2012.10.28: SuperSU v0.96
    Since this has the stock recovery, does it mean I can have SU and still be able to receive OTA updates ? (Just picking your brain and learning)

Probably is as far as I can go :)
    Somebody rooted through a modified kernel instead of a modified recovery, and as such was able to dump the stock recovery.

Nice! Thanks.

---------- Post added at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

Somebody rooted through a modified kernel instead of a modified recovery, and as such was able to dump the stock recovery.

Since this has the stock recovery, does it mean I can have SU and still be able to receive OTA updates ? (Just picking your brain and learning)

Thanks.