Advice before flashing ...

Search This thread

Halco

Dec 8, 2010
Lyon
Hi guys.

It's been a while since I test different ROM, I flash kernels ...
I do not even remember how was working my phone before that !

So yesterday I reflash the official Orange ROM for France, of course in Froyo 2.2, and brace yourself ... With the stock kernel ... My phone has never worked as well !
It's so fast, smooth ... Reminds me of the good times when I got this phone in my hands for the first time :)

All this to say, think well before flashing a ROM, put yourself in mind that Android 4.xx, or even 2.3.x, are not necessarily done to our little phone. Nothing will be faster for a daily ROM as Froyo ...

I think I would not leave again Froyo :)

After that you're only master of your phone, these are just opinions :)

* A story of someone who has tested all the ROMs available here ... * :)

Last edited:

SerkSerk

May 31, 2011
France
Same for me, I tested all rom for G3 but i'm back to froyo because it very smooth and 2.3 or ics don't have video on HQ in youtube :banghead:

Sent from my GT-I5800 using xda premium

Last edited:

m1trand1r

Mar 6, 2011
You don't wanna know.....
Same for me, I tested all rom for G3 but i'm back to froyo because it very smooth and 2.3 and ics don't have video on HQ in youtube :banghead:

nah...cm7 base is faster for me...more customizable...i don't mind video rec. & hq you tube videos...not working...i use lappy for that:p

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sent from Galaxy
Hercolubus' Rom v 1.0
powered by
Team G3mod-ICS26 kernel by Arakmar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ak700

Nov 5, 2010
25.00° N, 71.00° W
Well don't forget guys that cm7 and ics both are in WiP. So it is obvious that froyo well be better.
So its not correct to compare a complete froyo and an incomplete ics or cm7.

For me froyo wasn't so good because of the crapy touchwiz and no data2sd. I will stick with cm7

Nikksh

Hi guys.

So yesterday I reflash the official Orange ROM for France, of course in Froyo 2.2, and brace yourself ... With the stock kernel ... My phone has never worked as well !
It's so fast, smooth ... Reminds me of the good times when I got this phone in my hands for the first time :)

All this to say, think well before flashing a ROM, put yourself in mind that Android 4.xx, or even 2.3.x, are not necessarily done to our little phone. Nothing will be faster for a daily ROM as Froyo ...

Even though ICS and GB arent complete bt still they are way smooth and better in processing than froyo....think of it as technology...it gets better with every version....n it seems laggy becoz of the fimg drivers and if now when the fimg drivers are completely fixed you can feel that GB is way better than Froyo...I think Almost all features are up and running now...almost......

Halco

Dec 8, 2010
Lyon
I know that they are WiP, but i just warn some new users who wants flash those build without reading or follow topics.

It's sure that an official or a final port will be better that Froyo, but keep in mind that our phone just got 256 MB of RAM. Doesn't good for multi-tasking, and GB and ICS are improving in this case.

I hope some day we could have a full port / official GB/ICS, but with this phone, we couldn't enjoy all the possibility of those ROM's, i dont think so, maybe i'm wrong.

PS : Link2SD workin very well with Froyo. I never understand what's the difference of app2SD and data2SD, but i dont care if the app works :D

nanos7

May 2, 2011
smilingpirate.org
I find that 2.2 fairs the same by way of performace in comparison to cm7. But honestly i would prefer cm7 (if it didnt hav the glitches) because of how customisable evrythn is!

Sent from my GTI5800 on Kyrillos' ROM v9.5 using xda

digitalni

Feb 18, 2012
Kyrilos v10 is based on cm7 right, do you guys have any experience with that? I've been on Froyo, tried a couple of roms, and my phone's been acting up lately. thinking about flashing to stock. It's easy for me tho, I just need something simple with less battery drain for my girlfriend. She got herself that white g3, but I'm not so inclined to test things on her phone. Scared of bricking it and then what? :)

nanos7

May 2, 2011
smilingpirate.org
Honestly, in my experience you can't brick brick a phone! I mean you really have to try to brick it and even then you have to have a combination of bad moves and bad luck for you to unequivocally brick it!!! That being said, Kyrillos 10 is based on cm7 and I tried it and loved it. The battery does last longer, it does have fantastic speed and usability and with s2e you can save a lot of internal memory without sacrificing speed if you use a good class sd card (6+). The main difference though is how customisable it is in comparison to Froyo. Nonetheless, I flashed back to 9.5 mainly because the video camera didn't work which is a must for me. As I understand it your gf would be interested more in something stable with good battery life. Best bet for g3 is v9.5. And it comes with a very well written, detailed installation guide (if I say so myself) which is about to be updated... ;)

EDIT: Apologies for speaking before having a better overview. I am not going to bore you with details but basically concerning your SD's class it seems that this is not necessarily the deciding factor (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1005633) and by way of speed tests I researched from other sources on the internet (e.g. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/microsdhc-memory-card-performance,3011-12.html) it seems that the Sandisk SDSQ-8192-AC11M seems to be the overall best buy. I have already contacted a reseller in Germany over e-bay to confirm if he stocks them and if so I will be buying, testing and updating!

Last edited:

216.ashutosh

Apr 1, 2012
Agra
github.com
Best Rom I've ever experienced is kyrillos' . Recently upgraded it to v10 with CM7. I got my cell now exactly where I wanted it to be ever. Will use it till someone give me a free beer to switch on to something else :D

Sent from my GT-i5801 via XDA

Smonic

Jul 17, 2011
Behind You
I know that they are WiP, but i just warn some new users who wants flash those build without reading or follow topics.

Exactly! You're warning people not to flash CM7 after all the hard work Marcellusbe has done and i'm sure there are many more people who completely disagree with you but they aren't 'warning' people not to flash a eclair/froyo/ics ROM are they? Basically, i think it is wrong that you are making other people formulate opinions based on your opinion when they should try every ROM themselves and make their own judgements like you (and I) have done.

Halco

Dec 8, 2010
Lyon
Bro, it's just a warn ... Of course, if i have to advice someone for a flash, i'll say CM7 from Marcel' without thinking anything else !
I respect all the job doing from all devs here, but i just warn "new users" cause we can see some post in general section like "Help meeeee, brick my phone ???"

Just wanna clarify it, and make new users read slowly the steps of flashing...

No offense, anywhere :)

Reactions: Smonic

Jason-EX

Sep 13, 2011
that is exactly the reason why I still make custom froyo roms :p:p once CM7 is in beta stage, THEN I'll stick with it! :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys.

Bro, it's just a warn ... Of course, if i have to advice someone for a flash, i'll say CM7 from Marcel' without thinking anything else !
    I respect all the job doing from all devs here, but i just warn "new users" cause we can see some post in general section like "Help meeeee, brick my phone ???"

Just wanna clarify it, and make new users read slowly the steps of flashing...

No offense, anywhere :)