Samsung Galaxy NOTE 10.1 hands on

Search This thread

floiancu

May 19, 2012
Bucharest
flo-s-wear.blogspot.com
UPDATE: I had to take the videos down for the moment at Samsung's request. There is information that they are about to change some design features and specs, but I don't know when and what exactly. I'm sorry for the situation, but I assure you I'll post them back as soon as I get word of it! Thank you for your interest and patience :)

I've had the chance to play around with the Note 10.1, that's the tablet with the S Pen. The reason they've delayed the release is that they've changed it dramatically since the preview at the MWC. It now has a 1.4GHz quadcore processor (I think it's the Exynos on the SIII), a 5 MP camera (instead of the 3.15) and the back got a hyperglazed finish just as the SIII. I've had the pebble blue one and I'm not sure if there is a marble white one.

The S Pen is much bigger than the Note 5.3 (looks EXACTLY the same), but smaller than the model shown at the MWC and it now fits inside a vertical hole in the lower left side. An amazing software feature is the Photoshop Touch app which is brilliant (as you may see in my video).

Here are my videos:
Short hands on presentation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eueOIjW5cIo
S Pen and Photoshop Touch review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0b0SRT_D74

It's an astonishing device, clearly stepping way higher in the high end line and it works like a charm. If you have questions feel free to ask, but unfortunately I no longer have it to do extra demos.

Last edited:

rubene66

Dec 20, 2008
Ponce
If the resolution will be the same it will not compete with the ipad and will not sell well and i will not buy it either.

jaaka78

Mar 23, 2010
Thanks for the videos! This is a first day purchase for me. Any news on the release date?

zooster

Oct 14, 2007
Even 1920x1080 are too low for a 10.1. To compete with ipad visual quality they can barely put this resolution into a 8.9, but for a 10.1... no way it's too low.
Omg, Samsung is fond of low ppi especially if fullRGB, yes it's cheaper to build but OMG!

xdapao3

Oct 31, 2008
Even 1920x1080 are too low for a 10.1. To compete with ipad visual quality they can barely put this resolution into a 8.9, but for a 10.1... no way it's too low.
Omg, Samsung is fond of low ppi especially if fullRGB, yes it's cheaper to build but OMG!
BS.
1920x1080 is normal-sized monitor HD resolution, to say it's too low for a 10.1" screen is beyond ridiculous.

iPhone's "Retina" resolution is completely worthless on a useless 3.5", iPad's "Retina" display is overkill. The higher the resolution the better... up to a point.
Beyond that you are just paying a weight and power consumption (and also brightness in the case of the Ipad) penalty without getting your worth (the higher the resolutions the less your eye is able to see the difference).
Full HD resolution on a 10.1" would be ideal.

P.S. "Samsung is fond of low ppi"??
The Galaxy Tab 10.1's PPI is over 10% higher than the iPad2's.

Last edited:

leon2008

Aug 21, 2009
Great. Thanks for the videos. I really look forward to a launch. Hopefully very soon. I aim for this to be my note-taken tool at work. I hope it will live up to that and be usefull. (Not hand click when using the pen etc.).

zooster

Oct 14, 2007
BS.
1920x1080 is normal-sized monitor HD resolution, to say it's too low for a 10.1" screen is beyond ridiculous.

iPhone's "Retina" resolution is completely worthless on a useless 3.5", iPad's "Retina" display is overkill. The higher the resolution the better... up to a point.
Beyond that you are just paying a weight and power consumption (and also brightness in the case of the Ipad) penalty without getting your worth (the higher the resolutions the less your eye is able to see the difference).

Normal sized monitor is not meant to be used as close as a tablet.
The closer a device is used the higher the ppi should be. For a smartphone pixels start beeing unnoticeable from 320-330ppi. Actually the best job is made by lg with 1280x720 on a 4.3" and 342ppi, higher than apple.
The tablet is meant to be used less close than a phone, so the ppi can be lower, around 250... the value adopted by apple in ipad3.
So for an optimal view the ppi has to be higher. 1280x800 on a 10.1 does mean a too low ppi (maybe not for a monitor, but surely for a tablet).
And yes, I confirm that samsung is fond of low ppi devices. You tell me the higest ppi of a fullRGB display of a Samsung device. FullRGB only, because the pentile matrix trash doesn't worth any talk, you know that at ppi being equal the visual quality of a pentile is much lower due to less subpixels, so i.e. the actual ppi of a 300ppi samoled hd is around 250, but this is something already well known.

Last edited:
Reactions: viluve

AmrEl-Shazly

Jun 4, 2012
i'm thinking about buying a tablet .. and i was comparing between this one and the galaxy tab 2 10.1 .. i'm going to buy it for college use .. to be honest .. i haven't had any tablet before .. it's my first .. and i want recommendations .. which one should i buy .. galaxy note 10.1 or tab 10.1 or go for an ipad 3 ?

jaaka78

Mar 23, 2010
i'm thinking about buying a tablet .. and i was comparing between this one and the galaxy tab 2 10.1 .. i'm going to buy it for college use .. to be honest .. i haven't had any tablet before .. it's my first .. and i want recommendations .. which one should i buy .. galaxy note 10.1 or tab 10.1 or go for an ipad 3 ?

The tab 2 10.1 is painfully slow. It's disappointing because it could have been a much better option if they had just put in a better processor (I know the tablet is supposed to be entry level, but the year-old exynos from the s2 would have been better). I'm not a huge gamer, but I do want a tablet that runs without much lag out of the box. I also want to play HD video files without frame skipping and the tab 2 10.1 isn't very good for this either.

As far as the other 2, it depends on you. The new ipad is nice. It's fast and has a fantastic display. My brother in law has one and absolutely loves it.

Personally, I usually gravitate towards android (and samsung). The note 10.1 doesn't have the PPI of the ipad, but it can fully display 720p hd video which is good enough for me. The screen is also a little bigger (than the ipad). Memory expansion is nice through microsd and the US version should have the IR blaster to use as a universal remote. The potential of using the s-pen for note taking and drawing is also a big plus for me. The quad core processor should also be able to handle just about whatever you throw at it (at least for a couple of years).

Cyb3rGlitch

Apr 12, 2011
I wish the resolution was higher. I hate the display on my Tab 10.1, there's a distinct lack of clarity.

BuddyJoe83

Nov 15, 2011
Probably gonna exchange my tab10.1 for the Note10.1 :)
Hope it will launch soon, any rumours on that subject?

Sent from my GT-P3110 using xda premium

zooster

Oct 14, 2007
That ppi is still ridiculous. Either they increase it till around 250, or sammy will get only low end customers.
But since they still use that crappy ppi on high end smartphones, I guess they are not able to increase the ppi in a tablet.

Dustin1980

Jan 16, 2011
How close do you hold a tablet? How far do you sit from a monitor? For me it's only a few inches difference in usage? i sit approx arms length away from my monitors and hold my tablet only a few inches closer than that (arms slightly bent)

AmrEl-Shazly

Jun 4, 2012
The tab 2 10.1 is painfully slow. It's disappointing because it could have been a much better option if they had just put in a better processor (I know the tablet is supposed to be entry level, but the year-old exynos from the s2 would have been better). I'm not a huge gamer, but I do want a tablet that runs without much lag out of the box. I also want to play HD video files without frame skipping and the tab 2 10.1 isn't very good for this either.

As far as the other 2, it depends on you. The new ipad is nice. It's fast and has a fantastic display. My brother in law has one and absolutely loves it.

Personally, I usually gravitate towards android (and samsung). The note 10.1 doesn't have the PPI of the ipad, but it can fully display 720p hd video which is good enough for me. The screen is also a little bigger (than the ipad). Memory expansion is nice through microsd and the US version should have the IR blaster to use as a universal remote. The potential of using the s-pen for note taking and drawing is also a big plus for me. The quad core processor should also be able to handle just about whatever you throw at it (at least for a couple of years).

well then the tab 2 10.1 is out of the race .. now the iPad 3 And The Note 10.1 .. so your recommendation is to have the note 10.1 right?

jaaka78

Mar 23, 2010
That's what I'm going with, but i don't think there's really a wrong choice :)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Solarian

Jan 28, 2011
I'm amused by all the comments linking the tablet to the low end of the market simply due to the low ppi. Clearly, everyone has different requirements out of a device. By putting a stylus on a 10" tablet, Samsung attained my personal "Shut up and take my money!" threshold. **** PPI, do you know how incredibly, mind blowingly useful a stylus is? As soon as I can figure out where to buy this thing, I'm buying it. I've been begging for a full sized tablet with a stylus ever since the original Note came out. This is my actual dream come true.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: I had to take the videos down for the moment at Samsung's request. There is information that they are about to change some design features and specs, but I don't know when and what exactly. I'm sorry for the situation, but I assure you I'll post them back as soon as I get word of it! Thank you for your interest and patience :)

I've had the chance to play around with the Note 10.1, that's the tablet with the S Pen. The reason they've delayed the release is that they've changed it dramatically since the preview at the MWC. It now has a 1.4GHz quadcore processor (I think it's the Exynos on the SIII), a 5 MP camera (instead of the 3.15) and the back got a hyperglazed finish just as the SIII. I've had the pebble blue one and I'm not sure if there is a marble white one.

The S Pen is much bigger than the Note 5.3 (looks EXACTLY the same), but smaller than the model shown at the MWC and it now fits inside a vertical hole in the lower left side. An amazing software feature is the Photoshop Touch app which is brilliant (as you may see in my video).

Here are my videos:
    Short hands on presentation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eueOIjW5cIo
    S Pen and Photoshop Touch review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0b0SRT_D74

It's an astonishing device, clearly stepping way higher in the high end line and it works like a charm. If you have questions feel free to ask, but unfortunately I no longer have it to do extra demos.
    BS.

Guys, can we please stop the debate over PPI and screens and crap and get back on topic? If you're so concerned, go watch a youtube video comparing the two or something, it's all subjective so who cares.

OP, your videos have been marked private, I didn't get to watch :(

I too am wondering about a release date and also, is the pen comfortable for long periods of writing? I was literally about to buy a TPT before seeing that this was announced. Now I'm excited :3

Well..as long as it doesn't cost me my firstborn child
    Normal sized monitor is not meant to be used as close as a tablet.
    Normal sized monitors are on average around 2/2.5 times larger than a tablet, measure the distance from your desktop or laptop monitor to your eyes and the distance at which you keep your tablet and tell me the latter is more than 2/2.5 times the former (and yours is smaller than the average 10.1" tablet too).

The closer a device is used the higher the ppi should be. For a smartphone pixels start beeing unnoticeable from 320-330ppi. Actually the best job is made by lg with 1280x720 on a 4.3" and 342ppi, higher than apple.
    What use are high resolution displays if they are too small to do anything remotely productive on them in the first place??
    What are you going to do on a puny "Retina" 3.5" display?? Image editing?? Browsing desktop websites?? Editing autocad files?? Spreadsheets??

The only smartphone around, today, which is truly useful and in many ways usable as a small portable "computer" is the Galaxy Note. Talking about slight variances in PPI as if those other tiny displays were actually usable doing things where PPI matters is ludicrous..

The tablet is meant to be used less close than a phone, so the ppi can be lower, around 250... the value adopted by apple in ipad3.
    So for an optimal view the ppi has to be higher. 1280x800 on a 10.1 does mean a too low ppi (maybe not for a monitor, but surely for a tablet).
    Of course the display of the New iPad is way better than a 1280x800 10.1" Android tablet, your original point was that the New Ipad "Retina" display was way better than a full HD 10.1" Android tablet too which is what I called BS.
    Ipad 3's PPI is 264, an HD 10.1" (which BTW would be 1980x1200 and not 1980x1020 like you said since most Android tablets are 16:10) like the announced Transformer Infinity will be 224.

So I repeat: saying (like you did) that a 224 PPI tablet display is "too low and can't compete with the visual quality" of a 264 PPI tablet display in the same size class is beyond ridiculous.

And yes, I confirm that samsung is fond of low ppi devices. You tell me the higest ppi of a fullRGB display of a Samsung device.
    First HD tablet has been the iPad3, a couple of months ago, and other HD displays on 10" tablets are just NOW being announced.
    So, where are you seeing all these HD tablets??

As I told you, up until the New iPad a couple of months back, Apple had the lowest PPI one in its size class (and comparing low PPIs, unlike the high PPIs comparisons you were making, differences ARE noticeable).

FullRGB only, because the pentile matrix trash doesn't worth any talk, you know that at ppi being equal the visual quality of a pentile is much lower due to less subpixels, so i.e. the actual ppi of a 300ppi samoled hd is around 250, but this is something already well known.
    The "trash" SuperAMOLED HD 5.3" display of my Note is the very reason I bought it and it's why I can see NO real alternative to it today.
    It's not perfect by any means but it's BY FAR the OVERALL best display around and it's what makes the Note actually useful and a pleasure to use.

I fell in love with AMOLED displays with my Galaxy S and have had only AMOLED displays since, going from the S to the SII and then to the Note as soon as it was available in Europe.
    "Trash" is what I call all the other displays, thank you.

These stupid slight differences in comparable PPIs which you are raving over are totally MEANINGLESS when get those slightly higher PPIs on, for example, minuscule 3.5" iPhone displays which you can't really do anything on or when you consider that you pay the overkill iPad3 PPI by getting one of the heavier (if not THE heaviest) tablet around (and monster power consumption, overheating problems and a hit in brightness to boot).
    It's not me, it's the human eye, just read indepentend scientific and academic articles mybe you can learn something about the visual acuity.

Since more than half of the human population needs corrective lenses this entire topic is comical. Most of us couldn't tell the difference between 240 dpi and a Galaxy if our life depended on it. If you can do so consider yourself lucky. And young. Give time a chance and you'll be in the same boat as the rest of us.

Spewing a bunch of scientific facts about acuity that only applies to a miniscule piece of the population makes for a weak argument.

For the vast majority of people that buy into retina hype they've wasted money for no reason. I admit it's a terrific marketing ploy for the iPad 3 which doesn't improve much over the iPad2. It works for Apple. That's what they do best: marketing.

If you notice a difference then buy an iPad. The rest of us will look at something that looks the same and not sweat the scientific facts.

Some day in the future Apple will add a second speaker to the iPad and proclaim they invented stereo. Until they do, I'd never consider an iPad. I consider stereo infinitely more important than a retina display.