[Q] Stuck in bootloop

Search This thread

spikeguy4

Sep 17, 2012
What happened: Samsung Galaxy S2 tmobile SGH-T989 (more info at the bottom)

Ok so I installed the usb drivers through kies and got the latest firmware from kies. Installed Odin 3.07. Backed up my stuff. Flashed recovery-cmw-hercules using Odin. Then I rooted my phone using tmobilegalaxys2rootICS (flashing with CWM recovery) and installed CWM-SuperSU v0.87. Updated root and CWM on the next boot using SuperSU app and Rom Manager to the current version (non touch for CWM). I then got cyanogenmod9.1.0-hercules (stable) and gapps-ics-20120317-signed. I wiped the internal SD card and external SD card. Went into recovery manager. Did a factory reset, cache wipe, dalvik wipe, battery stat wipe. Flashed cyanogen9, flashed gapps, fixed permissions and rebooted. Now i'm stuck in a bootloop just looking at the start up screen of cyanogenmod. I have access to the recovery menu and the odin screen so i'm not bricked as far as i know, just bootloop'd. I read somewhere of a super wipe by JDT or someone along those lines but i can't find those scrips to flash them. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Info:

Computer OS: Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)

Firmware Version: PDA:LH1 /PHONE:LH1 / CSC:LH1 (TMB) - (Ver. 12.07.20.02) (current)

Binary: Samsung Offical (Kernal 3.08 ICS)

Build Number: IMM76D.UVLH1

ROM: Stock T-mobile Android 4.0.4 (before i flashed cyanogenmod9)

Baseband Version: T989UVLH1

Brand: Samsung

Model: SGH-T989 (hercules)

Type: Galaxy S2 X

Carrier: T-Mobile, USA

Country Code: 1 (USA)

Access Point: epc.tmobile.com

Odin3: v3.07

Clockwork Recovery: v5.0.2.7

Root: tmobilegalaxys2rootICS -> CWM-SuperSU-v0.87 (updated can't view newer version right now)

Cyanogenmod9: cm-9.1.0-hercules

Google Apps: gapps-ics-20120317-signed

switchfo0t

Feb 26, 2012

Ok so I installed the usb drivers through kies and got the latest firmware from kies. Installed Odin 3.07. Backed up my stuff. Flashed recovery-cmw-hercules using Odin. Then I rooted my phone using tmobilegalaxys2rootICS (flashing with CWM recovery) and installed CWM-SuperSU v0.87. Updated root and CWM on the next boot using SuperSU app and Rom Manager to the current version (non touch for CWM). I then got cyanogenmod9.1.0-hercules (stable) and gapps-ics-20120317-signed. I wiped the internal SD card and external SD card. Went into recovery manager. Did a factory reset, cache wipe, dalvik wipe, battery stat wipe. Flashed cyanogen9, flashed gapps, fixed permissions and rebooted. Now i'm stuck in a bootloop just looking at the start up screen of cyanogenmod. I have access to the recovery menu and the odin screen so i'm not bricked as far as i know, just bootloop'd. I read somewhere of a super wipe by JDT or someone along those lines but i can't find those scrips to flash them. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Hey! As of I know, you are not using a TOUCH recovery. Sad to say but a lot of ROMs will only work on TOUCH recovery, because they changed something in the Cache wiping that ain't screwing up with device or something (as I understood digging up a little bit).
Here is my advice, go with this for now:
MIRROR
It's v13.1 of Sk8er's recovery. Though I want to tell you, if you try to hardboot into it (what I mean is: hold +/- volume and plug in USB) it probably won't work since it doesn't work for me for a weird reason (I'm on v13.0 so I couldn't say for v13.1).
In EXTRAS you got the cache.wipe and the super.wipe of TDJ.

And another thing I think you should know about this device is HOW TO FLASH CORRECTLY.

Here is the way:
Make a backup (optional)
SUPER WIPE (using TDJ tools)
Factory Reset (wipes data/cache/.....)
Install your rom (without GApps)
Reboot phone.
Wait for let's say 10 minutes (optional as well I don't do it but it's recommended... Just reboot, and when you see no bootloop, go back to recovery for next)
Wipe cache/dalvik (without using TDJ but only from recovery touch)
Install gapps.
Reboot.

if you just update your rom, like going from a nightly to another nightly, no need to follow this. Just wipe cache and dalvik using recovery touch, and you are good going.

Cheers!

spikeguy4

Sep 17, 2012
I'll try it!

Thanks switchfoot! I'll try this today. I'll grab the cache wipe and super wipe as well as upgrade to touch-cwm however i'm a little worried when you say skaters mod made you unable to hard boot, seems risky as that's your last resort if you brick the device (as far as i know). Thank you so much for the steps on flashing, I read so many different ways I was very confused on the proper procedure. I have class today so I probably won't report back till later today but i'll let you know what happens!

Last edited:

playya

Jan 12, 2007
Florida
Thanks switchfoot! I'll try this today. I'll grab the cache wipe and super wipe as well as upgrade to touch-cwm however i'm a little worried when you say skaters mod made you unable to hard boot, seems risky as that's your last resort if you brick the device (as far as i know). Thank you so much for the steps on flashing, I read so many different ways I was very confused on the proper procedure. I have class today so I probably won't report back till later today but i'll let you know what happens!

My friend here is a flawless recovery with 0 issues if you are worried about the one above TWRP 2.2. Also stay on one site for everything and may I suggest xda only. Do not venture off not that the other sites are issues just that you will confuse yourself although rootzwiki is just as good.

There is plenty of How To's here in xda that you do not need to be confused, confusion comes when you start asking others there opinions and take bits and pieces from all of them... Good luck and feel free to pm me if you need any further help... Just please read up before you do anything

These are the exact instructions from CM on how to install their rom: did you follow these instructions
Installing
How to INSTALL from another ROM (DO NOT SKIP ANY STEPS!):
Be sure to back up your current ROM!
Update your radio to the above recommended version if you have not already done so. (See the list below)
Wipe data/factory reset.
Format /system (mounts and storage->format /system).
Install the CM9 zip from SD card.
Install the gapps zip from SD card.
ONLY IF YOU ARE ON NON-TOUCH CWM RECOVERY: Install darkside-wipe-cache-only.zip (which fixes bootloop due to bad /cache format)
ONLY IF YOU ARE ON TOUCH CWM RECOVERY: Format /cache (mounts and storage->format /cache)
Reboot. Let it sit for a few minutes after the first boot. Be patient.\

Last edited:

spikeguy4

Sep 17, 2012
Awesome!

Wow that's exactly what i was looking for! Thank you! I just flashed a stock rom to go back to the start. I'll begin the process over again following these steps. The only issue is that the radio update section in the guild no longer exists. Is it ok to go on without the radio update? Or will this cause issues? If so is there a mirror for them?

spikeguy4

Sep 17, 2012
SOLVED!

OK! I'm all set now. I had to use the full wipe as well as the cache wipe after install and the bootloop was resolved. The bigger headache was when kies failed at updating the firmware so i had to do an emergency firmware flash. Any way i have clockwork, root with SuperSU, cyanogenmod9.1.0, and the latest google apps! Plus its backed up now! YAY! Now i just have to configure it to how i like and we'll be in business! Thanks for all your help guys! I really appericate it!

spikeguy4

Sep 17, 2012
Last thing

I still need the radio update since the file no longer exists in your link. Everything is good but I don't have any wifi calling or features of that order. Which are important in keeping my usages down and getting coverage in my house and otherwise bad areas. Where do I get this and would I just install it via CWM? Thanks again!

bruddah

Aug 10, 2012
Hey guys, I was playing around on my phone, and I downloaded something off of 4shared (just a game) and it crashed and made my phone freeze. I then held my power button and waited for it to boot but now im stuck in a bootloop with the stock telus rom... is there anything I can do that wont wipe everything on my phone? Oh and I can get into both CWM recovery and download mode.

I gave it some more time to startup and it pretty much factory reseted my phone. I get that thing to setup my phone after startup. Everytime I turn my phone off it goes back to this screen and my phone restarts. If I surf through the files of my phone, it shows I still have everything but It doesnt show any of my apps or anything.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hey! As of I know, you are not using a TOUCH recovery. Sad to say but a lot of ROMs will only work on TOUCH recovery, because they changed something in the Cache wiping that ain't screwing up with device or something (as I understood digging up a little bit).
    Here is my advice, go with this for now:
    MIRROR
    It's v13.1 of Sk8er's recovery. Though I want to tell you, if you try to hardboot into it (what I mean is: hold +/- volume and plug in USB) it probably won't work since it doesn't work for me for a weird reason (I'm on v13.0 so I couldn't say for v13.1).
    In EXTRAS you got the cache.wipe and the super.wipe of TDJ.

And another thing I think you should know about this device is HOW TO FLASH CORRECTLY.

Here is the way:
    Make a backup (optional)
    SUPER WIPE (using TDJ tools)
    Factory Reset (wipes data/cache/.....)
    Install your rom (without GApps)
    Reboot phone.
    Wait for let's say 10 minutes (optional as well I don't do it but it's recommended... Just reboot, and when you see no bootloop, go back to recovery for next)
    Wipe cache/dalvik (without using TDJ but only from recovery touch)
    Install gapps.
    Reboot.

if you just update your rom, like going from a nightly to another nightly, no need to follow this. Just wipe cache and dalvik using recovery touch, and you are good going.

Cheers!

My friend here is a flawless recovery with 0 issues if you are worried about the one above TWRP 2.2. Also stay on one site for everything and may I suggest xda only. Do not venture off not that the other sites are issues just that you will confuse yourself although rootzwiki is just as good.

There is plenty of How To's here in xda that you do not need to be confused, confusion comes when you start asking others there opinions and take bits and pieces from all of them... Good luck and feel free to pm me if you need any further help... Just please read up before you do anything

These are the exact instructions from CM on how to install their rom: did you follow these instructions
    Installing
    How to INSTALL from another ROM (DO NOT SKIP ANY STEPS!):
    Be sure to back up your current ROM!
    Update your radio to the above recommended version if you have not already done so. (See the list below)
    Wipe data/factory reset.
    Format /system (mounts and storage->format /system).
    Install the CM9 zip from SD card.
    Install the gapps zip from SD card.
    ONLY IF YOU ARE ON NON-TOUCH CWM RECOVERY: Install darkside-wipe-cache-only.zip (which fixes bootloop due to bad /cache format)
    ONLY IF YOU ARE ON TOUCH CWM RECOVERY: Format /cache (mounts and storage->format /cache)
    Reboot. Let it sit for a few minutes after the first boot. Be patient.\